Home General Training Discussions
Options

Di2 -Dura Ace versus Ultegra

I'm looking at getting a new bike with Di2, hopefully a ventum bike.

I know there is a weight different between Dura Ace/Ultegra but is there also a performance difference as well?

In the past I have gone with Ultegra components but gone with a Dura Ace rear derauiller as it seems to me this is the most complicated component and gets me more bang for the buck.

Since my LBS is in lock down mode, I'm assuming this combination will work?

Does it make sense?

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

No issues with mixing Ultegra and Dura Ace shifting components as long as they are from compatible series. If you're buying the parts yourself you can check Shimano's Di2 compatibility chart; Di2 center also has a good discussion.

For a comparison of the RD options take a look at this Slowtwitch thread. It looks like the DA RD saves 38g and maybe gets slightly better shifting, for $200-300 more.

I upgraded my P2 with Ultegra Di2 last year and have been happy with it (but then, I was using 105 before...). More than the RD, I would consider whether you want one- or two-button shifters (if you have the option). And whether the A junction can be hidden if that is important to you.

• Options

Don't know if it's still an issue, but in the recent past, the Dura Ace Di2 RD would only work (properly, without a workaround) for cassettes up to 30 teeth max. For that reason, on both my road and tri bikes, which otherwise have top of the line components, I used Ultegra "long" RD, and now have 34 teeth to help with the hills/mountains I seek out wherever I go, along with my 50/34 chain rings.

• Options

No problems mixing Ultegra with Dura Ace, as @Al Truscott has pointed out the Ultegra will give a better range on rear cassette if you choose long cage.

There is absolutely no difference between the two group sets in terms of performance, the only difference is weight (& cost).