Home Ultra Racing
Options

Am I crazy?

All right, I’m seriously thinking about doing something crazy. There’s a virtual race that has distances from 6hr, 12 hr, 100K, 100mile, 200mile. If you run the 100K or above, you get a belt buckle. It’s only $35 and you can take as long as you want. Multiple days, actually. And it’s a competition, east coast vs west coast, so time counts (100K done over two days- the clock doesn't stop while you sleep). If I did the 100K, I would do it in one go. And I expect it would take me about 20 hours. The longest I have ever run is almost 9 hours for my first 50K last year. I know I could do a 12 hour run. I’m not sure if I could do a 20 hour run. But that’s why I think I should try. My longest events ever were my 14 hr trip up and down Mt Fuji and my 14:35 IM.  I have until 30 June to get it done.

Hmmmmm... I could sign up for 2 and do the 12 hr and then a couple weeks later the 100K. Is that a terrible idea? I predict about 40 miles in 12 hours.

Thoughts??? I’m bored. I need goals. Anyone else want to sign up?

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

Leslie sounds like someone got the bug, last I heard you were tired of running and wanted to get on the bike? :-) I won't judge. Agree need goals. I like your 100k goal, not sure if running 12hrs a couple weeks before it , is a good idea though. Since the ultimate goal will be to complete the 100k , maybe the 6hr and then the 100k 2 or 3 weeks later? Or just skip the twofer and focus on the 100k?

• Options

You should do it! I'm doing the 💯 since San Diego 100 got cancelled. Be careful with buckles: you can't just have one. 😉

• Options

@tim cronk , aaaah! You caught me! Yes, I was. And I’m kind of trying to figure out if I can pull this off with a long Saturday run and a long Sunday bike.

what do you think of loading the 50 mile plan and work backwards from my desired weekend? And what if I biked on Sunday instead of a run? Goal is just to finish, of course.

@Gabe Peterson - wooohooo! And yeah, about that buckle... that’s what I’m afraid of! I do like the bling and the swag. I don’t care about crowds and the hype, but I like to have something to show for it at the end.

• Options

@Leslie Knight the 50 mile plan or the balanced plan , with you cycling on Sunday would work great, I’d bump up your Saturday runs to what you can handle, and drop some of the bikes in the last 4 weeks for more specificity. You can even alternate your weekends like you did for Thunderbunny. Have you picked a course?

• Options

@tim cronk - that's what I did- thanks! I loaded up the 50 mile plan to end on June 27th. I adjusted the weekend runs to be high and low like I did with Thunderbunny except for one where there are two highs in a row before I taper. I may take a bike day on the low weeks if I feel like it.

I was looking at the trails around here and I'll do a combo of John Bryan State Park and Glen Helen. Trying to figure out how to get from one trail system to the next that day should add some interest and decrease boredom. Phone maps will help. I may do a little exploring before then.

Thanks for the advice! If someone had told me two years ago that I'd be doing this I'd have laughed at them. Funny how things change.

• Options

Yes you are.

Have fun.