Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Glori Ekberg Official Coach Thread 2020 [TeamEN]

2»

Comments

• Options

@matt limbert forgot to ask - the swims are all pretty much geared to pool swimming. Do you have any more geared to open swim or just adapt as best I can. Who knows - out of water for 4 months I just want to keep from going under LOL!

• Options

@Glori Ekberg I took another shot at your schedule to incorporate the 3x cross-fit, bikes, run, and open water swim option on Tues. We modified the next 4 weeks. We still keep the bike intervals and a long run on the weekends. There is a lot of intensity if we consider the cross-fit, so if you need an extra day - make the Saturday ride easier but longer. We will modify the the reminder based on your feedback. Take another look and let me know what you think!

• Options

@Glori Ekberg Here is an example of a 45-60' open water swim.

Warm up & get used to the visibility and the water 10-15' continuous swimming

Pick a point (tree, buoy, dock, etc) swim a length "hard" swim a length "easy"

Pick another point - count 20 right arms swimming hard, 10 right arms swimming easy

Pick a (buoy, dock etc) swim towards it without sighting counting 20 right arm strokes, then stop and see how you navigated. Did you go left, right, sideways to your intended target?

If you have a group to swim with, practice drafting in a paceline. Use the count of 20 right arm strokes, then the leader pulls off to the right, and drifts to the back, the second place swimmer is now the first and he/she does counts 20 right arms strokes and then pulls off. (Repeat as necessary with line of swimmers).

Without the clock it is difficult to work on specific pacing. You can take advantage of the other opportunities like practice drafting, sighting, and quickly getting used to the water. During that warm-up, the more comfortable you become in the open water, the quicker you adapt and find your swimming rhythm without that initial breathless feeling. You also want to work on effort, those "hard" sections should definitely feel like a shift in turnover in your stroke vs the easy sections. Its kinda like developing a sense of pace while running without looking at your watch! 🤣

• Options

@matt limbert I like the schedule and think it will be great! Only one problem - the open water swim does not start until July 7th. But if it makes sense to you I can sub back in Tuesday bike with run until swim starts? I actually have to adjust this week as i was just "asked" to work late tonight. If I did that for just this week and next it would work out fine. Sorry for all the changes!

Oh and thanks for the OWS!

• Options

@Glori Ekberg Ha! You said that multiple times, sorry. I got carried away with the changes and got too focused on making sure all the weeks made sense together!🤣 For Tues, we have a bike and run planned. Or a Open water swim and run. Just do one! Tues can be your audible day and do whatever fits best with your schedule to keep you consistent. If we had to pick, we would recommend a bias towards the Open Water swim (you can't beat that for practical experience, and hey it's swimming!), Bike Intervals, then run. Remember, just pick one. For the bike intervals, I made them has "campus loops" 😎

Cool?

• Options

@Glori Ekberg

https://endurancenation.wistia.com/medias/nfahr9cl1b

Welcome to your THIRD MONTH  inside Endurance Nation! 

Our goal this month is to help you be race ready for your next big event and make sure your connected with your teammates!

First OFF, be sure to check out Coach Patrick’s video online here

Step One: Quick Update Form

Please use this form to update us on how things are going: https://forms.gle/2BAufR2WyTUjkHvE7 We will follow up with guidance and advice via email so you can stay on track. 

Step Two: Research Your Race

Leverage your teammates to make sure your race is the best it can be.

• First, head over to the EN Forums and use the search functionality to see if there are race reports or other information in our system. 
    • Second, ask the Team what they know by creating a research thread in the Races & Places Forum or by posting to the GroupMe 24/7 channel.
    • When you are ready, go ahead and post your Race Plan to the Racing Forums as well 

Step Three: Connect with Fellow Racers

• Depending on the size of your race, you might have a GroupMe channel that you can find under the Community section here.
    • If there isn’t one, you can still head over to the Race Database and use the password WORKWORKS. From there you type the race name into the search box To get someone’s name. Return to the EN Forums and send them a private message!

** Additional Support **

In addition to The Forums and other Team-related support, you still have the chance to connect with Coach Patrick across your first year -- check the Athlete Roadmap. Right now it’s time for your three month call with Coach Patrick; and you can book it here.

If you are looking for support above and beyond the traditional Endurance Nation experience, you can book a consult with Coach Patrick. These are billed at $100/hour and Can be on almost any training or racing topic. Please click here to learn more / get started. 

Congratulations on moving forward with you training as you build to your race goals. We can’t wait to see what you are capable of this season!

~ Team EN

• Options

@Glori Ekberg - so excited to see your open water swims start to show up in Final Surge!

• Options

@matt limbert The schedule change was great. I made adjustments as weather has been horrible. Got stuck in lightening and thunder storms twice on the bike. Not fun but this weekend finally looks clear! I really like the campus loop twist you added to the bikes! Thanks! I am looking forward to our first Open Water Swim this Tuesday. Happy Fourth of July!

• Options

Hey @Glori Ekberg Thanks for the note!😎 Getting stuck in the rain is no bueno. Lightening and thunder are all the more dramatic. Keep crushing that campus loop! 👊

• Options

@matt limbert @Coach Patrick Good Morning, Matt! Had a great call with Coach Patrick yesterday afternoon and need to catch you up.

A few things have changed - the first one was the tough decision to defer my Outer Banks Tri to next year. Although 2 months out, the travel restrictions in NYS and my medical/leave coverage loss if I travel to NC tipped the scales.

My next scheduled events are DisneyWorld 10K in November and a postponed Half Marathon here in April 2020. The DisneyWorld one - well - good possibility that might get canceled or turn virtual Only time will tell.

Have the second open water swim under my belt and felt better than last week. There is also a sight day adjustment for my training group as we are back at the gym but outside. This week and at least next week we are working out TWF instead of MWF. Had to take my bike in for work after being caught out in the storms, had chain issues. So I had to miss a couple bikes.

As is the norm right now, things will likely continue to evolve.

Hope all is well with you!

• Options

@Glori Ekberg Thanks for catching me up! 😀👍️ Nice job racking up the open water swims. I'm a convert. I used to do it because I had to. Now, I look forward to it. Glad your getting those gym sessions in outside. The consistency will pay off. Getting your bike back from the shop will be awesome. It will run so much better. It's good for another 20+ Watts! 💥 Talk to you again soon. Enjoy the new bike feeling!🚴

• Options

@matt limbert Have to make some adjustments around weather this week but should be able to fit in most everything. Bike works great and even invested in a new saddle - wow what a difference. Forgot they wear out too! I do have a "regular" swim on my schedule but still no pools open so just getting in the one open water swim a week for now. I tried to focus on some skill work this week between buoys and trying to site less often. The COVID resurgence in NYS may further delay pool openings or make it difficult to get time in the pool due to scheduling restrictions. 😥

• Options

We want a picture of your new saddle!!! you can post it right here!!! Love all bike gear! 🎉

~ Coach P