Home General Training Discussions
Options

Hey Jude: Long Distance Triathlon Competition in The Age of Coronavirus

2»

Comments

• Options

What about a non- swim option as pool time may be limited?

• Options

I'll only do it if @Al Truscott registers for the full Ironman distance.

• Options

Please sign me up. 54.

probably will Vasa swim. Though no electronics. Swim for estimated fitness plus a few minutes ?

zwift bike.

maybe run outside.

ok ?

• Options

@robin sarner I signed you up on the Google Sheet. But you will eventually have to add you proposed and/or actual course, so you might as well follow the link

• Options

I hope to be able to swim somewhere.

• Options
    edited May 18, 2020 4:47PM

I am in! My neighbor's pool is wetsuit legal, and open for business.

What kind of tech do I need? I have a Garmin account, and that is it.

YAY!

• Options

I'm in! I'm not sure what the pool situation will be here in IL - they're closing most outdoor "recreational" pools for the summer (actually not even opening them), but indoor pools aren't open yet either and I'm not sure when they will. There might be a chance for OWS in August, but I doubt in October. We'll see how things shake out. Happy to be part of this group!

• Options
    edited May 22, 2020 1:49PM

CAN'T SWIM? SIM SWIM IDEA.

Swimming might not be an option for me. Currently, all swimming facilities are closed. If I can't swim I think I'll do a "SIM Swim" instead. A SIM swim is a set of swim specific Strength & Conditioning exercises.

I found the concept from the Outlaw Triathlon which is a well-know Triathlon in the UK. They are running Virtual Triathlons instead of their physical event this year, and they created this SIM swim for people who can't do an actual swim.

For their Half Distance, the SIM Swim consists of 3 "laps" of 7 x swim specific S&C exercises listed below.

Swim SIM: this represents 1 lap!

1. Swim in: High Knees (x 10 per leg)
    2. Swim: Press ups, box or full (x 10 repetitions)
    3. Sighting: Dorsal Raises (x 10 repetitions)
    4. Turn: Sit ups with twist (x 10 repetitions)
    5. Sighting: Dorsal Raises (x 10 repetitions)
    6. Swim: Press ups, box or full (x 10 repetitions)
    7. Swim exit: High Knees (x 10 per leg)

The exercises are demonstrated in a quick video here: https://resultsbase.net/event/5445/page/UserGuide . The video is really an advert for their Triathlon. This isn't the reason I've posted it.

Their Half Distance Tri is slightly shorter than ours but I don't believe in creating something from scratch if someone has already done the honours.

To bring it up to par with a 2km swim perhaps I could add an extra lap to bring the total to 4 or maybe even 5 😲.

Perhaps this could work for others who are not able to swim?

Thoughts welcome.

@Al Truscott would this be acceptable?

• Options
    I like this! :)

Patricia Rosen, MD, MPH
    Austin Toxicology
    4303 Hyridge Drive
    Austin, TX 78759
    www.toxicologyevaluation_austin.yourmd.com
    512.371.8840 (fax)

pbrosen2us@icloud.com
  • Options

I'm in as well. Nothing else on the race schedule tis year.

Dennis

• Options

My neighbor has graciously opened his pool to me, so I am in. I am not in shape to go long, or fast, but will be happy to train for something.

• Options

@ABBEY BONNER @Robert Sabo If swim is absolutely foreclosed, then, sure, you can invent some equally taxing 30-40' effort. The idea here is to get into a disciplined, progressive training plan by June 8, and test the fitness you develop the week of August 24th. With a couple dozen other ENers hopefully also engaged, we can start to invent our own intra-squad ways of competing with each other...

IO just loaded the bike-focused 70.3 plan into Final Surge, to end on August 30.

• Options

I am signed up. It sounds fun! Thanks @Al Truscott ! If IMMD happens, this will be about 3 weeks out. Seems like a good time for a race rehearsal.

• Options

I'm IN ... google doc updated ... no strava here so hoping Garmin routes will do? Let me know @Al Truscott ... and ... THANKS FOR ORGANIZING!!! 🤙🦄💥

• Options

EN has created a new GroupMe Chat for the August IRL 2/80/20 triathlon. Everyone who is currently signed up on the Google Sheet should have received an invite. You can also join via this link:

In other news...

• We are now a little more than 12 weeks before the event. You might consider your training plan between now and then. I have loaded up the Bike Focus HIM plan into Final Surge, and intend to follow that as closely as possible during June, July, and August.

• I think it might be valuable to charge a FEE for this race! Why? 2 reasons...first, having some skin in the game, even nominally, makes it more likely one will follow through on a commitment. And Second, those who pay the princely sum of $2.50 will receive an actual RACE BIB for the event. (This covers the cost of custom race bibs, and mailing each one out to participants.) We could charge more, and give ourselves T-Shirts, hats, medals, whatever, but I suspect we all have enough of those already. I firmly believe you can NEVER have too many commemorative race bibs... I myself have them going back to the early days of the millennium. If enough people say, "Sure!", I'll go ahead and give you details about how to register, and get the ball rolling on this.

• Options

I signed up in the hopes to get out of sloth mode. I don't know if I can make this work due to the fact it will be 115 outside in August. Lets see what happens.

• Options

Hi @Al Truscott Great idea on the race bibs. I'm keen to learn more about how to register for the bib.

• Options

I’d be happy to chip in for a bib. I wonder if there was a way to compete and have a “winner” choose a charity to receive a small portion of everyone’s “registration fee.” (I would be happy for the fee to be a bit bigger to help mediate this). That idea may sound lame to some, but appeals to me. The challenge would be how to design a competition we could all be eligible for (closest to predicted time comes to mind).

• Options

Team, just letting you know we have "official-ified" this In the same manner as we did with UltraMay. There's a real sign up, and it's open to the world (please share it out) and you have options - race only, race+swag and friends can even get some coaching if they are in need of it. All the details are online here:

https://www.endurancenation.us/events/diy-august-tri-2km-80km-20km-hosted-by-endurance-nation/

Once folks are signed up, we'll start getting them organized...another thread to follow soon!

~ Coach P

@Larry Peters @Jeff Phillips @Gary Lewis @Rory @Patricia Rosen @ABBEY BONNER @Dave Mehl @Dennis Cruff @Robert Sabo @Al Truscott

• Options

cool. signed up.

further rules to come i assume :::

===========

suggestions :::

for Zwift bikers. time trial bike in game. same course for all.

like a real triathlon, count total time from start of swim to end of bike. including transition times. (or is that not fair to folks that have to travel from swim to bike to run locations ?)

Zwift runners. have a standard incline of 1 or 2. same course just so we have the change to overlap.

==================

i plan::::

Vasa swim. i have the power gizmo now. So far the meters swam seems pretty appropriate to the effort.

Zwift bike.

Zwift run. or outdoor run. will see.

• Options

I signed up. What are "rules" about shortening distances?

Thanks!

• Options

I'm registered ... plng all events to be IRL, and back-to-back ... eg. HIM lite

• Options

I'm in. Another thought is a swim alternative. I'm hopeful that pools in IL will open next month, or at least by August, but it's facility dependent. IDPH released guidelines for swim teams and lap swimming, but none of the park district lap pools have opened yet. My daughter is swimming with her team again as of this week, but they have a private facility that they're using. #jealous Anyway, happy to have an event to look forward to!

• Options

I've signed up for the TShirt entry and posted the online event information on my Strava feed to spread the news 👍️

• Options

OK. I'm in. Not sure if I'll be up for that long of a run by then, but I'll sort something out (may just intentionally DNF and treat it as an unofficial aquabike for me) or keep an eye out for rules on shortening distances. I'll post the link on Facebook to spread the word!

• Options

@Wendy Kelly wants and aquabike option and I came here to see if there is a duathlon option. haha! 😂

• Options

@Janyne Kizer @Wendy Kelly The key thing here is DIY. I think we want to be INCLUSIVE, not exclusive. The idea is to give ENers an event they would find meaningful to help them sustain structured training over a 3+ month cycle. Aquabike, duathlon both qualify, IMO. Go for it!

• Options

Folks if you haven't Done so already, please register online here: www.endurancenation.us/diy So we can keep you in the loop.

As of 06/18/2020 I have created a Facebook group where participants can connect. This is mainly because we have people who are both on the team and not on the team participating and that is the easiest place to do it. Bonus that it will help spread the word about Endurance Nation as well. Here's the link for after you sign up: https://www.facebook.com/groups/267062137738873/

Onwards!!!

~ Coach Patrick