Home Racing Forum 🏎
Options

Kona 2020 Now Kona 2021 or Kona 2021

Which would you pick??

Based on the current Hawaiian government policies and international border restrictions in relation to the COVID-19 pandemic, the 2020 IRONMAN World Championship in Kailua-Kona, Hawai`i originally scheduled for October 10, 2020 will be postponed to February 6, 2021.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

Are they going to let you pick? I’d go whenever I qualified!

i can’t imagine there being many IMs this year, so it makes sense to clear the legacy backlog for the February race and then hopefully, back to normal in October.

if I won my age group in Florida this year and got to go in February, I would certainly race Texas again and hope to qualify for October. Just dreaming 😂

• Options

We both know this will shake down to “both.”

• Options

@Dave Tallo - I respectfully disagree. I'm not sure how many people here I have actually done a raise in the February to April timeframe in the United States. I know tom has, and I remember doing one in April for Iron Man Texas. It was quite possibly my least favorite training cycle of all time.

Swimming throughout the winter is pretty much my version of hell, and not being able to run or bike Outside sustainably was miserable as well. I still had a good race, but certainly not at Kona levels. And it was no fun...can't see myself saying YES to that. And saying yes to more IM stuff so that I could get back in OCT. Cool, yes. Good for my mind and soul? Hells no.

How to influence the discussion, but I see this as an opportunity for me to do a bunch of really cool stuff for a very long time before I need to be serious about Kona. It will be kind a need to see what we all come up with if you're down with that.

~ Coach P

• Options

Personal view, pros/cons

February - Pro: weather will be better than Oct, fewer competitors for top spots in my AG. Cons: I'd rather be skiing (my first love), indoor training for the bike, I hate running in the rain and/or dark. Which is all it ever is in PAC NW Nov/Dec/Jan

October - Pro: if this is truly my last IM, I want to savor it. Getting ready is part of that savoring. Another 8 months means my knee might keep getting better. Training in CO in Sept is ideal. And odds are better for treatment/cure/vaccine by then. Cons: Can't think of one, really.

So, I'm ready to pull the trigger on October 2021. Gotta check with my condo lady first

• Options

@Coach Patrick ... fair points. If I could (can) get in *without a qualifying race* I would/will happily do the February edition. Actually, in this cycle of annus interuptus, and personally drifting through fitness experiments until the world settles back, this Feb would be a interesting switch on not-terrible timing. Now .. I'm writing this on a day when it's sunny and I can jump on my bike and ride outside all day ... and I might have a very different view after 5-6 long December/Jan indoor rides. But if they extended, say, Legacy to anyone who wanted it, I'd probably jump on it.

• Options

@Dave Tallo Isn't Legacy not an option for those of us who have already been at Kona?

• Options

It is indeed not an option at present, but I think Kona February won’t come close to filling with outright qualifiers, and might even be tough to fill with a open call to the existing Legacy pool. So, I wouldn’t be shocked to see it opening up more broadly, or seeing some of the categories’ criteria getting relaxed, in order to get bodies on the pier.

• Options

Leaning towards Feb.

Winter weather in Southern Va weather isn't terrible for outdoor training.  With sailing is my other main addiction there is far less competition for my weekends in the winter. I'm a skier as well but there's plenty of good skiing in late Feb - April. I'm a year round swimmer anyway so as long as the pool is open that's not an issue. As a bonus average water temp in Kona in Feb is 76 so 50/50 chance wetsuit legal.

The family is definitly up for a Hawaii vacation in Feb.

2 concerns:

This is my first and possibly only Kona. Still don't know how I managed to qualify. Can't count on so many things going just right over a 6 month period and having another race of a lifetime. So my concern is will it be the same experience or will it forever have an Asterix attached.

Second is the heat. Will be training cool and racing warm.

They only give us until Friday to decide. Anyone else planning on. Feb?

Dennis Cruff

• Options

@Dennis Cruff

I am speaking on behalf of hubby (Caesar Cepeda). he is in the Legacy slots for Kona and is given the choice of Feb or Oct. I think since this is his first Kona and we travel to spectate every year to Hawaii for the past 30 plus years, I think October is the strongest option... Its the heat, its the crowds, its the water temp... It is a beast of a race done as it has been done for years... doing the feb. "one off" is too odd for us. I usually book two years in advance our room reservations so we can maybe go this year in October to see what Kona looks like without IM.(unless we have to stay quarantined for the 14 days) AND we'll go watch in Feb. as a vacation if I can get rooms

rooms seem to be the biggest hurdle for us (we invite friends with us..)

Just thoughts...

Lauren

• Options

@Lauren Cepeda

You summed up my dilemma eloquently. Going to be a tough decision.

I booked flights and rooms soon after I qualified figuring I'd beat the rush and get something on Ali drive close to everything. As of now flights not eligible for change (only flights up to Sept 30) so might be taking a Hawaii vacation in October this year as well. Never been there.

Dennis

• Options

All great points....and "having to go" to Kona and do some vacation and reconnaissance. I can't speak to what February would be like, but I guarantee it would still be an incredible event.

So much still up in the air...the deadline for making the change is underwhelming.

~ Coach P

• Options

I have opted for October 2021. I had no plane reservations to deal with, and my condo reservation was easily rolled forward with no change in pricing to the following year. My right knee is grateful for further opportunity to avoid long runs for at least another year. 20+ years of training for and then racing 7 stand alone and 30+ IM marathons had taken their toll...

• Options

It wasn't too difficult for me, I had a 2021 Legacy slot, then I got the call to join 2020 early this year. With all the races being cancelled and as Al notes, training in the Pac NW is dismal that time of the year, it was easy to defer back to my original date. Also, I recalled as being the most miserably cold in my life in February on the Big Island when I was in the Army (The PTA - Pohakuloa Training Area) - the winds and rain in February were always brutal. Hopefully we will get to a new normal soon.

• Options
    Brian - Weve driven through there several times...can be super cold. Wonder
    if that depleted uranium up there gave you super TRI powers?

🤣
    ~ Coach P
  • Options

lots of great thoughts in here

Kona in February, aside from legacy spots, they will likely increase the number of slots available at any IM that actually happens between now and Mid January to fill Kona. I don't think I want to do IMLP in September when it is likely to be rescheduled (not sure it actually happens) but if a combo of some people not showing up and increased slots should happen, it likely makes this my year. I don't think an earned slot will be deferrable to the following October, That would be the IMLP 2021 slots.

that said, My focus is on building fitness and having fun doing things I haven't been able to do because I've been on the Ironman hamster wheel.

@Dennis Cruff - what kind of sailing? that's my former life

• Options

Appreciate all the comments. Ended up pulling the trigger for Oct 2021. Basically pushing all big plans back a year. @scott dinhofer strictly cruising now. Was planning some extended trips to Block Island sound/Narragansett next summer but will push back a year.

Dennis