Home New Member [First Month]
Options

Justin Hildebrandt Official Coach Thread

Here's your personal Coach Thread, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is here to guide you through your first year on EN, so you can always come back here.

As you'll see in this forum, I handle all manner of edits and changes. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Your Races

• Ironman Arizona (2020-11-22) #IMAZ_20

Your Notes

IM TX 2015...15:53....2 70.3s prior...6-9 olympics usually just over 3 hrs...touch of asthma...too much caffeine usually...recent neck surgery in January prompted a transfer from IM TULSA to AZ...career Firefighter and paramedic...3 kids ..7/6/4...uncommon work schedule...24 on 48 off w scattered days of within a yearly calendar...pretty out of shape right now from the neck surgery but running and riding 30-40 min 2/3 days typically.Running and riding about 2 x each per week x 30-40 minutes...no swimming currently...stupid pandemic...have a tether considering a small temporary pool for Kids and me in backyard

Season Outline

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won't complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on Final Surge by clicking on Training Plans / My Plans. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

>> Last updated by Coach on May 18, 2020

• On 5/18/2020 Load the  -- Durability Balanced Plan 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks  to end on 6/14/2020 28 [ 4 weeks ]
  • On 6/15/2020 Load the    Bike Focus Block, 2019 (6wks) to end on 7/26/2020 42 [ 6 weeks ]
  • On 7/27/2020 Load the    EN Full Prep Plan, 4wks to end on 8/23/2020 28 [ 4 weeks ]
  • On 8/24/2020 Load the    Rest Week (Unstructured)  to end on 8/30/2020 7 [ 1 weeks ]
  • On 8/31/2020 Load the    EN Full Bike Focused, 12wks to end on 11/22/2020 84 [ 12 weeks ]
  • On 11/23/2020 Load the    Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 12/20/2020 28 [ 4 weeks ]
  • On 12/21/2020 Load the    Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/17/2021 28 [ 4 weeks ]
  • On 1/18/2021 Load the    Run Durability for Triathletes 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 2/14/2021 28 [ 4 weeks ]

Training Plan Support in Your First Month

You can connect with @matt limbert as needed in your first month to get dialed in with your training plans and data. You can set up a call with him online here: https://calendly.com/new-member-phone-call/1 and he'll be on this thread shortly!

Your Homework

Tell Me Your Season Goals

• What will make you consider this season a success?
  • What's your biggest limiter right now?

** The Athlete Roadmap Videos & Start Learning **

Join Coach Patrick for a walkthrough of the Endurance Nation Athlete experience to learn more about how our system works to help you achieve your personal best. You'll want to watch the Phase One Structure videos -- there are four -- to get completely up to speed!

Every month we hold live events as part of our commitment to make you just as smart as you are fit. Feel free to visit our Coach Lesson page and our Office Hours page to find the next opportunity to connect with Coach Patrick and your Teammates.

Contact Points

As part of your journey to becoming a Self Coached Triathlete inside TeamEN, we are prepared to give you excellent support for your first 90 days. Our goal is to transition you from live, in-person support to using our digital resources and the Team to help you continue your progress as you execute your Three Year Plan.

These are all the key points in your first year where we must talk. Please remember to include your phone number.

• Welcome Call in Week One (set it up here)
  • Training Plan Call in Week Two to talk about your season (set it up here)
  • End of Trial Call -- We review your experience & Unlock Year One / Race Execution for you (set it up here)
  • End of Season Call -- We review your year & Strategize for your End of Year Gap and Year Two (TBD in this Coach Thread)

Questions

• Coach Questions - Right here in this thread. Always reply to this same thread, it keeps a record for us as we evolve together!
  • General Questions - Simple stuff can go to the General Discussion Forum for the Team to answer. For example, Best Bike? How to improve run cadence? How to flip turn?
  • Need Help? - Please check the EN Help Site first!
  • Admin Questions - Billing or orders or whatnot? Use the red chat button at the bottom of the Members Site (not forums) or email us here.
  • Specific Questions about a Race or Power, etc? - You can post those into the General Discussion Forum and set the title or tags for that topic. Race questions to the Racing Forum, etc. Not sure where to post? Put it in the General Discussion forum and we will sort it out. Whatever you do, PLEASE ask your questions!!

For short or last minute questions, we recommend you use the Red Chat Icon on the main Members website.

We have also organized a complete chart of the best ways to contact us online here.

Your First Month on the Team

You have quite a few things to do when you start up. There are instructions on the top of the website, but you can review them under Resources / Trial Member Welcome.

Your First Year Inside Endurance Nation

This will be unlocked after your trial expires.

Looking forward to working with you this year,

~ Coach P

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

Justin, Super cool have you with us. 😀 We want to here a bit more about your recovery from neck surgery. Do you have any limitations? Any restrictions? On going PT? As a career firefighter and paramedic I'm sure you like to stay fit and we would also like to hear more about your schedule. We have several other firefighters we are working with and have worked with them to manage their training, schedule etc. So, this is the place to tell us about those things - if you want to. Drop us a comment at the bottom of this this post and we'll get back to you.

I have listed a bunch of stuff for you do. They are in in priority order so check them out. Most of them are things you do once. Set it and forget it!

Our short term goals are:

• Get subscribed to Coach Thread (and dialogue via email)
    • Sync up your devices and start using the Final Surge app (making comments on your workouts helps you and us track your progress)
    • Establish consistency - find a repeatable workout pattern between (family, work, etc.)
    • Get connected to the our Team and GroupMe community
    • See the big picture and explore the site & forums

Let's get after it! 👊

Talk you you soon,

Matt

******* Post a comment below or give me an 😀, 👍️, or huh?, 😨 and I will respond back via email.

If any questions you have getting started - schedule a call with me here.

------------------

Things to do:

#1 Respond below

Post a comment below or give me an 😀, 👍️ or a GTG and I will respond back via email. Let's get the conversation started!

#2 Subscribe to your Coach Thread.

Subscribe to your Coach Thread and get an email when we respond. Your Coach Thread is the best way to get a hold of us. It documents all of your training questions, its always here for your reference. 

How to subscribe video: 

#3 How to use your Coach Thread 

This is totally up to you. You can post a lot or very little. You post. We answer. We find it is helpful for you and us, if you post a weekly update once you get started. Pick a day. Any day that works for you. Many athletes pick Sunday to summarize the week. Others pick Friday to end the work week and get ready for the weekend. Choose something works for you. Comment on how you felt this week, what went well, and what you want to work on for next week. Its good accountability and helps you keep you on track for your goals. After a couple of posts, you can decide on what the level of interaction works best for you!

#4 Get Setup in Final Surge

Next, get setup in Final Surge. Coach Patrick has just made your season plan in Final Surge, so you can sync your Garmin or Strava (only one!) and get your workout data uploaded. (Chose Strava if you ride on Zwift.) Just chose one, otherwise you will get double workouts recorded in Final Surge.

In Final Surge: Workouts -> Garmin / Device Upload

#5 Consider downloading the Final Surge App

You are already making great comments. This makes it way easier.

Download Final Surge | Mobile Apps Here

#6 Quick Start Guide

Here is the reference guide on how to read the workouts, abbreviations and lingo.

#7 Connect with the rest of the team in Join our GroupMe chat

GroupME chat its a great place to learn, ask questions and connect for accountability with other Team members. Need to buy a new training gadget? What is the best xxxx? Want some advice about your race we? We have someone on the Team that as done it before and can help you race like a veteran. Ask in the group chat. Your new friends are waiting for you.

Download the GroupMe is an app and see what the Team is talking about. Pro tip: You can subscribe to these channels and mute the alerts. There is a lot of activity here and the alerts can get overwhelming. 😂

GroupMe

·    EN Live 24/7 [Join Here]

·    Run Group [Join Here]

·    Zwift Chat [Join Here]

·    Events [Join Here]

·    Race Groups [Join Here]

#8 See the big picture and explore ways to get smarter

See the big picture. Join Coach Patrick for a walkthrough of the Endurance Nation Athlete experience to learn more about how our system works to help you achieve your personal best. You'll want to watch the Phase One Structure videos -- there are four -- to get completely up to speed!

Coach Patrick has designed a Season Roadmap for you. The progression of workouts will get you fitter and prepare you physically to race but, getting smarter about training and race execution is what sets Endurance Nation apart from other programs. Here you have access to Coach Patrick (11x Kona qualifier), a library of his Coach Lessons, and the experience of hundreds of other athletes across all age groups - willing to share their advice and what has worked (or not) for them. We would love to have your experience and voice in those forums too.

Explore the Forums

All these topics are covered in our forums: Want to know the best equipment to buy? Where to stay for your race? How to triage you week of training when you have to travel for work? How to ride hills efficiently? How manage your power and heart rate on a hot day? You name it the Team can help you and make you a smarter athlete. There is free speed out there just by being smarter at how you play the game.

Search our Race Forum for race plans and race reports. Learn from the shared experience of the entire Team

Read the General Training Discussions and get training tips and execution advice from other TeamEN veterans.

Learn how to race like veteran. Dial in your race execution using EN race guidance

#9 Customize your workouts in Final Surge

You can wait on this one. But remember it is an option. You will eventually do bike and run test. We will use your average power (or heart rate) for a 20' time trial to set you customized workout zones. Once you customize them, the workouts will say 20' @ (135-145 heart rate) or 20' @(100- 110 Watts) vs. 20' @ Zone 2. We can do the same thing for the run. Once you do a 5k race we can use your average pace or heart rate to establish run zones too!

Here is a video on how you update your training plan with integrated and customized zones.

#10 Whew. You made it.

My goal is to make your first month of Endurance Nation as simple and as awesome as possible! I want to help you get the most out of your workouts, Final Surge, learn more about race execution and how the team can help you get to your race goals.

You don't have to do it all a once but, we would love it if you responded below. I'm here talk you through all of the above. I would love to hear from you. Talk to you soon.

Matt

EN Training Plan Coordinator

• Options
    edited June 12, 2020 5:20PM

Justin, thanks for letting us know! That kind of stress on your body can take a bit to recover from. You may feel "normal" but you may an increase in perceived exertion for a few days. We want to take a conservative approach and give you plenty of time for your body to fully recover. So, I modified your workout for Saturday to be an easy bike. Next week was going to be a power test on the bike, so I pushed that back a week. Let's see how you feel by the end of next week before we do the power test on the bike. Keep us updated in your Coach Thread here!

@Justin Hildebrandt

• Options

@Justin Hildebrandt

https://endurancenation.wistia.com/medias/bl9laz9l18

Welcome to your SECOND MONTH  inside Endurance Nation! 

Our goal is to check in with you, determine the best way to help you continue your journey, and share your progress with the Team!

First off,  watch Coach Patrick’s Month Two video

Step One: Quick Update

Please use this form to update us on how things are going: https://forms.gle/k9p2o3ZYyhGo9U2N6 We will follow up with guidance and advice here in this thread. 

Step Two: Book Your Coach Check In Call

As part of TeamEN, you and Coach Patrick will talk one-on-one roughly 4x per year. Let’s connect soon and keep you rolling. Book your check in call with Coach Patrick online here: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min 

Step Three: Pick Your Learning Focus

We have several courses and resources for you based on your interest. You can browse the Courses here or review the Coach Lesson archive here. Don’t forget to check in on the Official EN Athlete Roadmap to see how you are progressing. 

Need help picking a focus area? Ask us right here in this forum thread (be sure to @CoachP!!), via the red chat icon on the Members Site or by going to Help / Email Support.

Step Four: Your Friends are Waiting

We have several GroupMe channels where we want to hear about your training or you can get a quick answer to your latest race or gear question.  Get motivation and team awesomeness via EN Live on Facebook or if you’d rather chat, then find your home on the most relevant Team EN GroupMe chat channel

Looking forward to your next step!

~ Brenda

• Options

Here/present

• Options

No access to a bike til Sunday evening but I can tether swim til then and workout Monday instead can we rearrange my weekend a little maybe rest day Sunday? Instead of Monday

• Options

@Justin Hildebrandt Great idea. We would like to keep the brick work, but I shortened the brick run because I added a longer-ish run for Sat. That way we can keep building your run volume safely and get the rest day in there too. Keep the rest day easy. We have big week next week. Check out Final Surge for details.

Summary:

Sat: Run - long easy. Keep it under 60'

Sun: Rest day - swim easy or walk. Some mobility. Keep it easy.

Mon: Always be pushing ride + shorter brick run

How does that work? Let us know what you think.

• Options

Perfect thank you

• Options
    Anytime.
  • Options

@Justin Hildebrandt - Hey, thanks for filling out the check in form!!! I have put it below.

I know you are working with @matt limbert On your weekly schedule, but I wanted to check in with you on the body composition piece. We have a great short video here and body composition that gives you an idea of how to approach it. I am also a bigger athlete, and one of the ways that I handle the transition from being normal to being focused is picking one challenge at a time to solve. It can often take a few weeks to dial in a good habit, but once you saw for a few of the challenges and you start to see progress, things get much easier.

Here you go: http://members.endurancenation.us/Resources/Courses/Nutrition.aspx

Also, if you'd like to recommend a friend to the Team, here is the informational page that shows how you can get your friends a free month and you earn a free upgrade Credit as well. http://members.endurancenation.us/Community/ReferAFriend.aspx

Rate Your Fitnesss (Scale of 1 to 3):

• Your Swim: 1
    • Your Bike: 2
    • Your Run: 1
    • Body Composition: 1

Additional Info:

• Biggest Improvement So Far? Pace improvement, volume increase
    • How Else Can We Help You? Eating less damned food
    • Would You Recommend Endurance Nation to a Friend? Yes
  • Options

@Justin Hildebrandt - Great call!

Thanks again for your time today. I'm pretty sure we need to talk again because there was so much information you were throwing at me. I know you have so many questions, but that's why were here to help. Don't forget, the team is also really helpful with a lot of these questions. You can always find them in our group chat channels under the community tab on the members website.

Overall, you want to beat your TX time by 10% (15:52 to 14:00)... As I mentioned on the call, I think this is totally possible. The key is going to be making sure that we get your bike strong enough so that it's fast and your run is good as well. It's very easy to try and focus on all three sports, but that would be a mistake. You need to really dial in that bike strength and comfort on the bike so we can make it fast. Even though it's hot out right now, that should be a priority for you on these nicer weather days and long rides.

The calf cramp issues you mention is pretty vexing. Since stretching doesn't seem to help, and the onset is different, I'm curious to know if it's something more functional. For example, he might be spending a large portion of your day seated and then when you get up to exercise you have an issue. This case, I would recommend that you make sure you are walking, or walk to warm up, for at least a mile before You start the run.

Another issue could simply be related to you're running shoe selection or your style of running. If you have a chance, post a picture of your running shoes here. It would be nice for us to see the brand, a picture from the top or side, as well as the tread, a picture with both shoes held upside down so we see the bottom.

If you can, set a reminder on your phone to give us some Sunday updates with your training. That's a great place for you to keep rolling archive. And often that weekly trigger is a good reminder to capture some short term lessons that You might otherwise have forgotten by the time we get on our next call.

Onwards!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Justin Hildebrandt

https://endurancenation.wistia.com/medias/nfahr9cl1b

Welcome to your THIRD MONTH  inside Endurance Nation! 

Our goal this month is to help you be race ready for your next big event and make sure your connected with your teammates!

First OFF, be sure to check out Coach Patrick’s video online here

Step One: Quick Update Form

Please use this form to update us on how things are going: https://forms.gle/2BAufR2WyTUjkHvE7 We will follow up with guidance and advice via email so you can stay on track. 

Step Two: Research Your Race

Leverage your teammates to make sure your race is the best it can be.

• First, head over to the EN Forums and use the search functionality to see if there are race reports or other information in our system. 
    • Second, ask the Team what they know by creating a research thread in the Races & Places Forum or by posting to the GroupMe 24/7 channel.
    • When you are ready, go ahead and post your Race Plan to the Racing Forums as well 

Step Three: Connect with Fellow Racers

• Depending on the size of your race, you might have a GroupMe channel that you can find under the Community section here.
    • If there isn’t one, you can still head over to the Race Database and use the password WORKWORKS. From there you type the race name into the search box To get someone’s name. Return to the EN Forums and send them a private message!

** Additional Support **

In addition to The Forums and other Team-related support, you still have the chance to connect with Coach Patrick across your first year -- check the Athlete Roadmap. Right now it’s time for your three month call with Coach Patrick; and you can book it here.

If you are looking for support above and beyond the traditional Endurance Nation experience, you can book a consult with Coach Patrick. These are billed at $100/hour and Can be on almost any training or racing topic. Please click here to learn more / get started. 

Congratulations on moving forward with you training as you build to your race goals. We can’t wait to see what you are capable of this season!

~ Team EN

• Options

did I miss a phone call? Crashed mildly Friday, some soreness after did a few days...gravel no bueno. Missed a run, still trying get today’s in after a long shift last night. Stopping medications this week to slowly reintroduce one at a time to see if they are contributing to calf cramps.

• Options

I’d like you to adjust my plan to have my long days on Thursday and Friday,please, my weekends are full but weekdays are easier for me actually to workout more.

thanks in advance

• Options

@Justin Hildebrandt Good to hear from you. This is exactly the kind of thing we want to figure out with you. I moved your longer weekend workouts to Thurs and Fri and adjusted the pattern slightly to account for the shift. You are all set through August - drop up us note. Let us know how its going. You can always move stuff around yourself too. As a general rule, ee like to keep a steady aerobic (bike or run) between any intervals. So, avoid back to back intervals days. Let us know what you think and we will find a pattern that works for you.

• Options

Tons less cramps this week...must be lisinopril, meloxicam(probably not), or Zyrtec...will reintroduce in another week to see what triggers.

• Options

Runs are improving slowly, hard to fit in swims since I’m not thrilled about taking kids to kid care while swimming at the ymca. But school starts in 2 weeks so that might help...maybe...looking at my calendar it seems I have a rest day 1x month, is this correct? Or a byproduct of altering my schedule to long days on thurs/fri? Something seems off but maybe I’m just older and weaker than previous years...of the training is simply harder...but I can tell my bike is improving a lot...thanks to volume and intensity...intervals sometimes hard to push...been a lot of evening workouts...3 kids and all, plus I’m kind of a night owl and afternoon napper...shift work...gonna halt my 2nd job soon but was stalling o see if they cancel IMAZ, in which case I plan to train for 70.3 or Olympic distance races...what a crazy year. Still staying off old meds but watching blood pressure and pain levels(doing ok)...

• Options

@Justin Hildebrandt Thanks for the update. It is always good to hear from you. Let's take a look at your week and see if we can find a few easier days. Yes, we only have a single rest day built into the plans, but everyone is different. With kids, shift work, workouts, sleep. We need to make sure you are getting enough recovery to continue to make long term gains.

You have a big week coming up and are at the end of a pretty big build. It sounds like you can feel the fatigue is starting to pile up. The following week you have an unstructured week. Which will be a great time to do whatever feels good. Stay active. Key it low key. Let's see how you feel at the end of that week. Be careful, don't be like some Type A+ athletes and try to build a new deck for your house on your easy week. 🤣 That doesn't make the easy week very easy. Sometimes, athletes see the unstructured week and fill it with MORE extra stuff instead of less. That unstructured week is a great time to really take it easy and let your body absorb the great work your have done over the last few weeks! Keep the naps rolling!

Let's plan to check in at the end of next week and after your unstructured week!

• Options

Single rest per week? Or per month? Tried power test on nine today...felt strong but powertap c1 wouldn’t sync with my newly replaced garmin 935, pretty sure it’s the powertap malfunctioning hopefully just needs a battery...also my hr seems stagnant for the first 10 or so minutes of most of my workouts...using a tickrx so it’s works w iPad/Zwift indoors and garmin outdoors .

• Options

@Justin Hildebrandt I would leave the rest days up to you. Sometimes it might be a single day off with a nap, or it might be a easier bike or swim day - just a lower intensity and staying active - not killing it that day. It's really finding the balance that works for you. Maybe start with every other week, including a really easy day or complete day off. See how that works. It really depends on your overall stress level of work + family + training. How does that sound?

Yeah, I see what you mean with the heart rate. I looked at some of your run files and I can see that heart rate kinda plateaus as a really straight line. I can see your speed or cadence change and the heart doesn't which is odd. It must be a connection thing huh? Something between the Garmin and the Tickrx connection. You might want to try starting Forum post - I know there are a lot of other folks using Tickr so they might have some options or ideas for you.

• Options

Also thinking I should switch my 5 hr ride today to tomorrow, try to do the 45 min Sunday run today, epic ride tomorrow, and recovery ride in Sunday...that is , if you think that’s ok...😬

• Options

Good thinking! That will work! Have a good time on the ride. That's why we call it epic!

• Options

@Justin Hildebrandt I got your Check-In update, and have pasted it below. This is part of our monthly process to stay connected, so thanks for filling it out!

Hey man, got your notice. I went ahead and adjusted those longer workouts for you, so hopefully that looks good over the remaining 12 weeks into your race. Feel free to adjust them a little further if need be...I can follow behind you.

Weight loss will be tough in these final build weeks...I have found that GREAT workout nutrition gives me discipline to stick to quality food and reasonable intake the rest of the day. IF I fast for a WKO here in this phase, or worse yet run out of energy, then it really puts me on a downward spiral!

~ Coach P

Justin Hildebrandt is following the EN Full Bike Focused, 12wks.

His Rankings are as follows:

- Swim Fitness vs Last Month: 1

- Bike Fitness vs Last Month: 3

- Run Fitness vs Last Month: 3

- Body Comp vs Last Month: 2

Next month's focus: More swimming, some weight loss, faster running

Extra help request: I need my longest training days to be. Thur fri not fri Sat... schedule is weird and I’m pretty busy on the weekends actually but open during school hours weekdays. Thanks