Homeโ€บ General Training Discussions
Options

Ironman U

My USAT Level 1 Certification is due this year, by EOY.

Ironman U (by the same folks who own Ironman) is a coaching certification, which will also get me 10 USAT CEUs towards my 15 required CEUs.

For $700, 11 online courses. Don't know exactly all the details of what's included in that (ex, is it 11 courses, each with a quiz at the end? I don't know yet, their FAQ doesn't say!).

My question is, has anyone in da Haus taken it yet?

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

I took it a few years ago when it first came out thinking I would blend it with my executive coaching practice.

the course is real, though as a well trained EN athlete, I felt like I learned a lot of the material through 7 years of IM training.

when I took the course, there were a ton of chapters you worked through online and then there was one final exam and a very long essay type of test that was quite challenging.

• Options

I think @Craig Watson is also diving in...

• Options

@Scott Alexander

Good 'ol @scott dinhofer said it pretty darn well. I too figured it would be helpful and possibly a good addition to my corporate executive coaching. The course was good bat added nothing to "how to TRULY coach". 11 chapters that is certainly held up and made much easier through many EN years of training and forums. Honestly one of the harder parts is knowing when to shut off EN perspectives when it comes to IM defined training.

The 11 Courses go by in about 7 hours if you push quickly through. They then have a Part 1 Exam of 50 questions that isn't so bad. The Part 2 exam is long form answers to 7 questions each with multiple parts. The questions range from How to start a coaching relationship, how to structure different daily workouts given the athlete information, how to structure the year and each mesocycle etc. Then some questions around how to communicate your business, your style, and how to motivate/ keep athletes moving forward and in their lane. The 2nd part took me another 5-6 hours because I pored over the information and wanted to make sure there was no issue with passing. a 99% proved I put maybe too much effort in.

All said, you get the 10 USAT CEUs but it will take more than 10 hours.. You get listed on their coaching site and get access and part of the coaches association for two years.

If you have any more questions do not hesitate to ask me

Craig