Home New Member [First Month]
Options

Carlos Medeiros 2020 Season Thread [TeamEN]

Here's your personal Coach Thread, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is here to guide you through your first year on EN, so you can always come back here.

As you'll see in this forum, I handle all manner of edits and changes. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Click to watch the video, and check out the EN Roadmap, particularly Phase 2: https://www.endurancenation.us/roadmap/

Your Races

• Other No race planned this year. Idea is to train for Cascais IM in September 2021  

Your Notes

I have never done a Triathlon before. I have done a couple of sub 3 hours marathons, but that was more than 10 years ago. For the past 10 years I have kept in shape, running about 35 km per week and exercising (gym) about 2-3 times regularly. Since November of last year, with the help of a friend (Triathlete), I have started cycling and swimming. Since November 2019, I have been running swimming and cycling. I am currently running 3 x week about 30km, cycling 3 or 4 x week about 120km and swimming 3 x week about 7km 

Season Outline

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won't complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on Final Surge by clicking on Training Plans / My Plans. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

>> Last updated by Coach on June 15, 2020

• On 6/15/2020 Load the  -- EN Half Bike Focused, 12wks to end on 8/30/2020 76 [ 11 weeks ]
  • On 8/31/2020 Load the  -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 9/13/2020 13 [ 2 weeks ]
  • TBD Fall Event ( 21km race?)
  • Then Durability until January
  • January OutSeason®  into a full Season

Training Plan Support in Your First Month

You can connect with @matt limbert as needed in your first month to get dialed in with your training plans and data. You can set up a call with him online here: https://calendly.com/new-member-phone-call/1 and he'll be on this thread shortly!

Your Homework

Tell Me Your Season Goals

• What will make you consider this season a success?
  • What's your biggest limiter right now?

** The Athlete Roadmap Videos & Start Learning **

Join Coach Patrick for a walkthrough of the Endurance Nation Athlete experience to learn more about how our system works to help you achieve your personal best. You'll want to watch the Phase One Structure videos -- there are four -- to get completely up to speed!

Every month we hold live events as part of our commitment to make you just as smart as you are fit. Feel free to visit our Coach Lesson page and our Office Hours page to find the next opportunity to connect with Coach Patrick and your Teammates.

Contact Points

As part of your journey to becoming a Self Coached Triathlete inside TeamEN, we are prepared to give you excellent support for your first 90 days. Our goal is to transition you from live, in-person support to using our digital resources and the Team to help you continue your progress as you execute your Three Year Plan.

These are all the key points in your first year where we must talk. Please remember to include your phone number.

• Welcome Call in Week One (set it up here)
  • Training Plan Call in Week Two to talk about your season (set it up here)
  • End of Trial Call -- We review your experience & Unlock Year One / Race Execution for you (set it up here)
  • End of Season Call -- We review your year & Strategize for your End of Year Gap and Year Two (TBD in this Coach Thread)

Questions

• Coach Questions - Right here in this thread. Always reply to this same thread, it keeps a record for us as we evolve together!
  • General Questions - Simple stuff can go to the General Discussion Forum for the Team to answer. For example, Best Bike? How to improve run cadence? How to flip turn?
  • Need Help? - Please check the EN Help Site first!
  • Admin Questions - Billing or orders or whatnot? Use the red chat button at the bottom of the Members Site (not forums) or email us here.
  • Specific Questions about a Race or Power, etc? - You can post those into the General Discussion Forum and set the title or tags for that topic. Race questions to the Racing Forum, etc. Not sure where to post? Put it in the General Discussion forum and we will sort it out. Whatever you do, PLEASE ask your questions!!

For short or last minute questions, we recommend you use the Red Chat Icon on the main Members website.

We have also organized a complete chart of the best ways to contact us online here.

Your First Month on the Team

You have quite a few things to do when you start up. There are instructions on the top of the website, but you can review them under Resources / Trial Member Welcome.

Your First Year Inside Endurance Nation

This will be unlocked after your trial expires.

Looking forward to working with you this year,

~ Coach P

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

Carlos, Super cool have you with us. 😀 We see that you have already connected your Garmin to Final Surge. Nice work. You are already crushing it. 👊 I really like Coach Patrick's plan of having you target our DIY triathlon. You bring a good, basic level of fitness (and running history - those sub 3:00 marathons are still in there someplace) and I'm excited to see what a structured training program, plus teaching you more about the sport can help you progress. Please check out those Roadmap videos Phase One and Phase Two - each has 4 short stage videos. They explain the thought process behind our training programs and season planning. Let us know what you think.

Our short term goals are:

• Get subscribed to Coach Thread (and dialogue via email)
    • Start using the Final Surge app (if you haven't already)
    • Establish consistency - find a repeatable workout pattern between (family, work, etc.)
    • Get connected to the our Team and GroupMe community
    • See the big picture and explore the site & forums

If any questions you have getting started - schedule a call with me here.

Talk you you soon,

Matt

Let's get after it! 👊

------------------

Things to do:

#1 Respond below

Post a comment below or give me an 😀, 👍️ or a short GTG. Let me know you are subscribed and will respond back via email. Let's get the conversation started!

#2 Subscribe to your Coach Thread.

Subscribe to your Coach Thread and get an email when we respond. Your Coach Thread is the best way to get a hold of us. It documents all of your training questions, its always here for your reference. 

How to subscribe video: 

#3 How to use your Coach Thread 

This is totally up to you. You can post a lot or very little. You post. We answer. We find it is helpful for you and us, if you post a weekly update once you get started. Pick a day. Any day that works for you. Many athletes pick Sunday to summarize the week. Others pick Friday to end the work week and get ready for the weekend. Choose something works for you. Comment on how you felt this week, what went well, and what you want to work on for next week. Its good accountability and helps you keep you on track for your goals. After a couple of posts, you can decide on what the level of interaction works best for you!

#4 Consider downloading the Final Surge App

We definitely want to see those hours, miles, watts and heart beats - but we also want to know how you felt, mood, energy level, how mentally/physically easy or hard the workout was for you. The workout isn’t over until you make some notes. And the app makes this way easier. 

Data + notes = complete story. Workout data is only only half the picture. Your comments provide the other half. You could be crushing all the workouts but feel terrible or feeling great. Work, family, sleep can all be factors in how you are training. So, how you felt is just as important as posting the workout. 

To make comments, select the activity and click on the "pencil" icon to tap "how I felt" or "perceived effort." Just a quick note goes a long way.

Download Final Surge | Mobile Apps Here

#5 Quick Start Guide

Here is the reference guide on how to read the workouts, abbreviations and lingo.

#6 Customize your workouts in Final Surge

You can wait on this one. But remember it is an option. You will eventually do bike and run test. We will use your average power (or heart rate) for a 20' time trial to set you customized workout zones. Once you customize them, the workouts will say 20' @ (135-145 heart rate) or 20' @(100- 110 Watts) vs. 20' @ Zone 2.  We can do the same thing for the run. Once you do a 5k race we can use your average pace or heart rate to establish run zones too!

Here is a video on how you update your training plan with integrated and customized zones. 

#7 Connect with the rest of the team in Join our GroupMe chat

GroupME chat its a great place to learn, ask questions and connect for accountability with other Team members. Need to buy a new training gadget? What is the best xxxx? Want some advice about your race we? We have someone on the Team that as done it before and can help you race like a veteran. Ask in the group chat. Your new friends are waiting for you.

Download the GroupMe is an app and see what the Team is talking about. Pro tip: You can subscribe to these channels and mute the alerts. There is a lot of activity here and the alerts can get overwhelming. 😂

GroupMe

·        EN Live 24/7  [Join Here]

·        Run Group [Join Here]

·        Zwift Chat [Join Here]

·        Events  [Join Here]

·        Race Groups [Join Here]

#8 See the big picture and explore ways to get smarter

See the big picture. Join Coach Patrick for a walkthrough of the Endurance Nation Athlete experience to learn more about how our system works to help you achieve your personal best. You'll want to watch the Phase One Structure videos and Phase Two Master your Season. Phase Two for you will start after the DIY triathlon. Over the fall, winter, and early spring we do a lot of "homework" with intervals so we can do volume during the summer, closer to your race and when the weather is nicer.

Coach Patrick has designed a Season Roadmap for you. The progression of workouts will get you fitter and prepare you physically to race but, getting smarter about training and race execution is what sets Endurance Nation apart from other programs. Here you have access to Coach Patrick (11x Kona qualifier), a library of his Coach Lessons, and the experience of hundreds of other athletes across all age groups - willing to share their advice and what has worked (or not) for them. We would love to have your experience and voice in those forums too.

Explore the Forums

All these topics are covered in our forums: Want to know the best equipment to buy? Where to stay for your race? How to triage you week of training when you have to travel for work? How to ride hills efficiently? How manage your power and heart rate on a hot day? You name it the Team can help you and make you a smarter athlete. There is free speed out there just by being smarter at how you play the game.

Search our Race Forum for race plans and race reports. Learn from the shared experience of the entire Team

Read the General Training Discussions and get training tips and execution advice from other TeamEN veterans.

Learn how to race like veteran. Dial in your race execution using EN race guidance

#9 Smart Trainer Integration

If you want to join us on Zwift here is how. We have big group of athletes that ride together and use a voice app to talk - just like like a big group ride. Logon on and join a group ride. Use the Group Me Zwift Chat to stay up to date on when we are riding. 

We have workouts already built for Zwift and Trainer Road for the OutSeason, HIM and IM plans. If you have a smart trainer and a Zwift or Trainer Road account, download the workouts for Zwift to your computer or login to Trainer Road library.

For Zwift: Unzip the workouts into Documents -> Zwift -> Workouts -> "rider number" folder on the device you use to stream Zwift. My "rider number" is 126713. It will be the only numbered folder under workouts.

For Trainer Road: Use this like to request access to the EN workout library. Request access by sending a message "Request Invite to Trainer Road" to ppisaj2s@inbound.intercom-mail.com 

My goal is to make your first month of Endurance Nation as simple and as awesome as possible! I want to help you get the most out of your workouts, Final Surge, learn more about race execution and how the team can help you get to your race goals.

#10 Whew. You made it.

You don't have to do it all a once but, we would love it if you responded below. I'm here talk you through all of the above. I would love to hear from you.

Matt

EN Training Plan Coordinator

• Options

Coach Patrick and Matt, Thanks for your messages. I am ok with the season outline and the target of completing the DIY race. Let me know what I need to do to join the race. Thanks

• Options

Sure!!! You can choose the option you want here: www.endurancenation.us/diy and we can go from there...right now we're just getting organized but at least that puts your name in the hat and will make sure that we keep you in the loop. Excited!

~ Coach P

• Options

Thanks! I will do that!

• Options

Hi Matt, what is the best way to send my bike workout from final surge to zwift? In other words, I have a bike FTP workout scheduled at final surge. How do you recommend that I transfer it to zwift? Create a new workout directly in Zwift? Create it at Trainning Peaks? Garmin connect? Some other way? Thanks

• Options

@Carlos Medeiros You can download all the Zwift workouts for the HIM plan here

They can also be found here. Scroll down to the HIM plans - the workouts links are on the right.

For Zwift: Dowload all three levels of workouts onto the computer you use for Zwift. All three .zip files. This will give you the flexibility to chose the level you want depending on the day. Unzip the workouts into Documents -> Zwift -> Workouts -> "rider number" folder on the device you use to stream Zwift. My "rider number" is 126713. It will be the only numbered folder under workouts. (see screen shot below)

Once you log into Zwift, the workouts will be available under the workouts tab.

Let me know how it works for you.

• Options

Thanks! I will try it.

• Options

Week summary (6/15-21): This was my first week with EN. There was a significant increase in training from the previous week, specially the bike part.

What worked well: (i) swimming workouts went ok, and was able to do the descending workout successfully; (ii) running was ok, specially the long run on the 18th (combined the AM and PM); I had not run more than 15km in a long time and I ran almost 18km; felt ok after the run, it was a long run but not very intense; (iii) the bike FTP went well; probably the most intense workout I have ever done on a bike, but I was able to complete it according to plan.

What I need to improve: (i) long bike ride on the 20th was difficult; did it on wahoo with set power levels; I think the levels that I set were too high, specially the set power of the 4' at zone 4, which I set to 210w and I think it was too high; maybe set it to 195-200w next time; also the zone 2 ride felt difficult at 150w power; maybe try 140w next time; (ii) ABP ride on Sunday was outside with a lot of wind so end up cycling the required time but with low power; (iii) did not drink water on the long run (combined AM and PM) so was thirsty at the end; remember to stop to drink water after 1h of the run next time.

• Options

@Carlos Medeiros Great to hear from you! Thanks so much for the update. Big work overall last week.

We'll be interested to hear more about how you feel this week. Hitting those new personal records on the run and the bike, we want to make sure you also get enough rest too. Keeping that split run easy is really key!

Those are really good observations and adjustments for your bike power and reminder to drink on the run.

Let's get another solid week in and we will be interested to know on how you are feeling mentally and physically by the end of next week to make sure we have your work and recovery balanced out well for long term progression.

Nice work and perfect summary for the week. Talk to you soon.

• Options

Week summary (6/22-29) - What went wel: (i) ran almost 20km on Thursday, which was the longest I ran in many years. Did it inside the set HR ranges so was not too tired at the end. (ii) Nutrition went well and finished all workouts not felling hungry or thirsty. (iii) FTP bike ride on Tuesday went well like last week and I was able to complete it according to the plan.

What I need to improve: (i) I had to end the long bike ride on Saturday at 3 hours because I had to go out for lunch with family, but also because I was very tired. Before joining EN the longest I was riding was 90 mn, so 3hs is a big push. Additonally, I did the 3h on wahoo trainer which feels more diffcicult than in the road. (ii) I was very tired on Sunday which was a day off. I need to try to rest and sleep better this week.

• Options

@Carlos Medeiros Great work last week.👊 I'm glad to hear the run long run and FTP bike when so well. The run looked really steady - which is just how we want it. With the run and bike tests this week, it will be important to do the long run as a split run on Thurs. That way, we will get all the benefits of the run volume without the extra fatigue. Nice work on the nutrition during the workouts, getting that dialed in early is super helpful. Especially has we head into the warmer parts of the summer.

Nice job getting the ride done Saturday. Yeah, you get a little extra credit for riding on the trainer. Like you found out, there is no coasting and no time to rest. You are constantly on the pedals.

You hit 2x new distance records last week, long run and long bike. You are spot on that you will need a bit more rest this week. The run and bike tests this week are short but intense. Try to fit in a nap once or twice this week. Naps are the best recovery tools.

• Options

@matt limbert I have schedule a call with you this Friday. We could connect via whatsup (+351-915-917-205), skype (carlos.medeiros0) or google meets (carlosmbox@gmail.com). Let me know what is best for you. Thanks

• Options

@Carlos Medeiros Let's try the Google Meetup Friday!😀

• Options
    Hi Matt, I am trying google meets but i have not been able to reach you.
    Should we try something else like skype or should we reschedule for next
    week? thanks
  • Options

@Carlos Medeiros Here are some of the links we talked about:

Body Composition

Race Fueling

Best Practices for Nutrition and Fueling

Endurance Nation Podcasts or search Endurance Nation wherever you get yours from

Books: Endure, Peak Performance, Science of Running.

Here is a forum thread I started asking folks on the Team the same question.

Thanks for the chat. I look forward to hearing more from you.

What did I miss?

• Options

@matt limbert thanks for the call and for the followup. Just to recap the path forward as we discussed on the call:

• EN Half Bike Focused, 12wks to end on 8/30/2020 76 [ 11 weeks ]
    • Post Half Iron Transition Plan, 2wks to end on 9/13/2020 
    • Durability Balanced Phases 1, 2 and 3, 12wks, with swimming supplement, until 12/6/2020
    • OutSeason® for Triathletes bike focused, 14wks, with swimming supplement until 3/14/2021
    • EN Half Bike Focused, 12wks until mid-June
    • Repeat EN Half Bike Focused, 12wks until event date at end of September

• Options

Week summary (6/29-7/5) - In general, week started poorly as I was feeling tired like I had a flu. But I was feeling better by Thursday and ended the week with my energy restored. As I did the tests at the begining of the week, I think that may have had a negative impact.

What went well: (i) all running workouts went well - did the split run (AM and PM) for the first time and it was ok. (ii) swimming workouts were ok, including the test, which I swam 1000 meters at 18:26 (pace of 1:50 min per 100m) . (iii) I was able to complete all bike workouts according to the plan.

What I need to improve: (i) did not do the bike FTP test well, as I reached 170 watts compared with 177 watts in my previous FTP test in November. I was not feeling great on the day of test and maybe thats why the test didnt go so well. (ii) I felt well on the test run, completing the 5km at 22:21 (avg pace 4:28), but the avg heart rate of 163 felt a little high.

• Options

@Carlos Medeiros Yes to the summary of plans you laid out above.

Nice job with the split run, nailing all the bike workouts, and getting feeling better by the end of the week. Let's give the FTP a few weeks, it is good to know that you are close to your previous best from last November. Your note about the higher heart rate -It looks like you had some warmer weather that day, like 26-28 degrees. That certainly would drive your heart rate higher a bit.

BTW. What kind of power meter are you using?

• Options

@matt limbert thanks for the feedback. I did the FTP on zwift so I used the power meter on the wahoo trainer.

• Options

@matt limbert thanks for the feedback. I did the FTP on zwift so I used the power meter on the wahoo trainer.

• Options

Week summary (7/6-13) - In general, I was able to do the workouts as planned.

What went well: (i) all running workouts went well - combined the split run (AM and PM) into one long run on Sunday morning, reaching close to 24km and I felt ok; (ii) I was able to complete all bike workouts according to the plan.

What I need to improve: (i) I was able to complete all the swimming workouts but had difficult with the pace to reach the specific set time.

• Options

Week summary (7/13-20) - I travelled during the week so I had to change the schedule a bit. Did the Tuesday workouts on Monday and switched Thursday's workouts with Friday's.

What went well: (i) all running workouts went well (ii) bike workouts also went well - was able to improve the numbers from the previous week a little bit. Looking at the data from the long bike workouts, I think I will try Friday's simulation at ~140 avg watts (80% of FTP) which should give me an avg HR of ~135-140 and allow me complete it in ~2:50.

What I needed to improve: (i) swimming did not go as planned as I only had access to a smaller pool and for only two days in a row. Felt that I swam less than planned. (ii) was very tired on Saturday and had to take a long nap in the afternoon which I rarely do.

• Options

@Carlos Medeiros Thanks for the update. I always enjoy reading them and following your progress.

First, we need to look at your Strava and Garmin connections to Final Surge. You are posting double workouts. One from Strava. One from Garmin. When you get a chance can you might want to disconnect your Garmin from Final Surge. Strava will post all your workouts to Final Surge for you. Your Garmin will still post to Garmin connect, but it won't post to Strava. This will help us track your training volume accurately in the future. Look under the main toolbar, "Workouts" -> "Garmin/Device Upload" then manage your connections on that page.

I like those power and heart rate target for the simulation on Friday. You have a good internal sense for effort from your running experience. That is a huge advantage. Remember, to pay attention to your hydration and fueling, it sounds like it will be another hot one. Plan to eat and drink early and at regular intervals.

Nice work moving those workouts around to fit your schedule too. I think it worked out great.

The swimming will come around and nice work taking the nap. It is super helpful for body to absorb the work. I'm eager to hear how Fri goes with the simulation, pacing, fueling, etc.

• Options

@matt limbert Thanks for your reply. I had noticed the double counting but did not know how to fix it. I will try disconnecting Garmin from FS to see if it works.

• Options

@Carlos Medeiros

https://endurancenation.wistia.com/medias/bl9laz9l18

Welcome to your SECOND MONTH  inside Endurance Nation! 

Our goal is to check in with you, determine the best way to help you continue your journey, and share your progress with the Team!

First off,  watch Coach Patrick’s Month Two video

Step One: Quick Update

Please use this form to update us on how things are going: https://forms.gle/k9p2o3ZYyhGo9U2N6 We will follow up with guidance and advice here in this thread. 

Step Two: Book Your Coach Check In Call

As part of TeamEN, you and Coach Patrick will talk one-on-one roughly 4x per year. Let’s connect soon and keep you rolling. Book your check in call with Coach Patrick online here: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min 

Step Three: Pick Your Learning Focus

We have several courses and resources for you based on your interest. You can browse the Courses here or review the Coach Lesson archive here. Don’t forget to check in on the Official EN Athlete Roadmap to see how you are progressing. 

Need help picking a focus area? Ask us right here in this forum thread (be sure to @CoachP!!), via the red chat icon on the Members Site or by going to Help / Email Support.

Step Four: Your Friends are Waiting

We have several GroupMe channels where we want to hear about your training or you can get a quick answer to your latest race or gear question.  Get motivation and team awesomeness via EN Live on Facebook or if you’d rather chat, then find your home on the most relevant Team EN GroupMe chat channel

Looking forward to your next step!

~ Brenda

• Options

Week summary (7/21-26) - What went well: (i) i was able to complete de 90km of the bike race simulation in 2:43 (33.1 km/h), with 146 avg watts and 135 avg HR; this was better than the 2:50 I expected. I was able to repeat the 90km the next day at 2:44 (32.9 km/h) with 140 avg watts and 133 avg HR. I did both at zwift with a low elevation. (ii) i did all the run workouts as planned.

What I needed to improve: (i) swimming did not go as planned as I was able to complete the workouts but not in the exact descending pace set in the plan; finding it hard to pace the swimming. (ii) the long run felt hard. I was able to complete the 1:35h but at a high pace of 5:15 min/km. I had done the short runs earlier in the week at a pace of 5 min/km and was expecting to do the long run closer to that pace.

• Options

Week summary (7/27-8/2) - I was travelling during the week, so I did Tuesday's workouts on Monday. Also, did the bike workouts on a spinning bike, so was not able to follow the set watts precisely - had to use HR as a reference.

What went well: (i) Completed all workouts as planned, with the exception of one swimming workout, which I did in open water; (ii) didn't feel tired like I did in previous weeks.

What I needed to improve: (i) pacing the swimming workouts is still a challenge.

• Options

@Carlos Medeiros - thanks for the update! Can you be a little clearer as to how you need to improve your swim pacing? Is it something where by the end of the set you're tired? Or are your pieces all over the place throughout the work out? I'd love to be able to help you with that.

• Options

@Coach Patrick - thanks for your message. Just as a background, I was never a seriuos swimmer and I had never done any structured swimming workouts before. So trying to pace my swiming was something I had never done. So when I have a workout that requires me to do a descending pace (ie. 4x200m at Pace +6, 3x200m at Pace +5, 2x200m at Pace +4, 1x200m at Pace+3) it is very difficult to do it exactly. So when I look at the actual paces after the exercise is not exactly a descending order.