Home General Training Discussions
Options

Treadmills

I am going to purchase a treadmill and wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions. Maybe a brand that has work well for them or ones to stay away from. Or if there is a thread i missed with a similar question. Thanks!

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

@Joe Gretsch I have a NordicTrack 1750 and i run with a Stryd pod on it which connects to Zwift. It inclines up and down (to -3%), max speed is 12 mph. I've had it for about a year and never had any issues. It's their entry level TM but works perfectly for me. You get the iFit software that i never use but you can run courses with elevation etc.. that automatically control your TM. You can also create your own courses to replicate any IRL course you may want to run. I think i paid around $1500, they have regular sales. I'm sure they should have one for Father's day.

• Options

I've been doing some looking around also and have heard/read great things about Sole Treadmills, specifically the F80 and F85.

Tom

• Options
    edited June 18, 2020 10:43AM

I did a short dive into this and went by the recommendation of some ENers to get a sole. I got the TT8. It's a super high quality commercial grade TM. The feature for me was that it has a serious decline function (I think it goes to -7%)

I have not used it yet save to turn it on and test it briefly. The other feature it is supposed to have is BT, have to figure out if it does or doesn't. It apparently does for speakers, but supposedly does for functionality which would be good. I am curious though if I should have looked harder at the NordicTrack Commercial series. for a few $ more than I paid for the TT8, I'd have gotten the Commercial x22i

it has the same functionality plus a modern screen with the workouts, etc. I likely wouldn't use those, but others in the house probably would. also It's a lot trimmer looking than the Sole. In fact, I just saw Sole fitnesses Money back guarantee, i think i need to look seriously at the NordicTrack and return the sole..

Edit - THE most important thing in a TM is quality of the deck, Frame & motor. Next is functionality, I would like some decline mode to run effectively in Zwift and train DH muscles so I can do some more trail running. Last thing is the display. I have to think that the commercial Mills by anyone reputable have to be a good purchase.

• Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I really always thought Nordic track was a cheaper brand but I guess they have come a long way. I like the fold up option for the X22. I will see if there is a place to take a look at one.

Joe Gretsch
    206-335-8440

On Jun 18, 2020, at 3:33 AM, scott dinhofer wrote:

[Endurance Nation Community]

I did a short dive into this and went by the recommendation of some ENers to get a sole. I got the TT8. It's a super high quality commercial grade TM. The feature for me was that it has a serious decline function (I think it goes to -7%)

I have not used it yet save to turn it on and test it briefly. The other feature it is supposed to have is BT, have to figure out if it does or doesn't. It apparently does for speakers, but supposedly does for functionality which would be good. I am curious though if I should have looked harder at the NordicTrack Commercial series. for a few $ more than I paid for the TT8, I'd have gotten the Commercial x22i

it has the same functionality plus a modern screen with the workouts, etc. I likely wouldn't use those, but others in the house probably would. also It's a lot trimmer looking than the Sole. In fact, I just saw Sole fitnesses Money back guarantee, i think i need to look seriously at the NordicTrack and return the sole..
  • Options
    Thanks for the info!

Joe Gretsch
    206-335-8440

On Jun 17, 2020, at 2:15 PM, Tom Glynn wrote:

I've been doing some looking around also and have heard/read great things about Sole Treadmills, specifically the F80 and F85.

https://www.soletreadmills.com/treadmills.html

Tom
  • Options
    Thanks for the info!

Joe Gretsch
    206-335-8440

On Jun 17, 2020, at 10:06 AM, Vincent Sivirine wrote:

@Joe Gretsch I have a NordicTrack 1750 and i run with a Stryd pod on it which connects to Zwift. It inclines up and down (to -3%), max speed is 12 mph. I've had it for about a year and never had any issues. It's their entry level TM but works perfectly for me. You get the iFit software that i never use but you can run courses with elevation etc.. that automatically control your TM. You can also create your own courses to replicate any IRL course you may want to run. I think i paid around $1500, they have regular sales. I'm sure they should have one for Father's day.
  • Options

Sole is solid. the new ones have bluetooth for Zwift.

I also have xterra TRX4500. may be the best deal out there. bluetooth for Zwift. bit lighter than the Sole and a bit more compact. still the 20x60 belt. and made by the same company that makes Sole.

these both are fold ups.

• Options

Based on this thread, and the reality that training on hills (all I got where I live) is bad for my knee(s), plus the impending return of kids to school and sports leagues, which means I will lose within a month or two the wonderful cinder track a half mile from my home, I bought a Sole F63 for $999 yesterday...

• Options
    I have ordered the Sole F85. I will follow up with a review after I get it all set up. Warranty seemed to be better than most of the others as well as pretty good online reviews. NordicTrack and many others have a nice fancy screen but you have to pay $500 a year to get the Ifit programs. I decided I didn’t need all of that.

Joe Gretsch
    206-335-8440

On Jun 20, 2020, at 5:42 PM, Al Truscott wrote:

Based on this thread, and the reality that training on hills (all I got where I live) is bad for my knee(s), plus the impending return of kids to school and sports leagues, which means I will lose within a month or two the wonderful cinder track a half mile from my home, I bought a Sole F63 for $999 yesterday...
  • Options

thanks @Joe Gretsch

I have the sole TT8... clearly a great TM.. issue is that for the rest of the family, the workouts on the NordicTrack (included the first year) may actually get them to use it.. Sole will pick up the TT8 no questions asked within 30 days (I already processed it, crazy how easy it was) - but now reading a lot of reviews and both the sole & NTs seem to be at the top of every list...

having 2nd thoughts on the return..

• Options

I am a ~10 year user of SOLE. I am 200-220 lbs over the 10 years.

I keep it in my basement that is high humidity in summer (not wet). I have replaced the deck once as it is particle board and failed once, and is failing again. I have replace the head unit once as it does not tolerate the sweat spray.

Customer service has always been great.

It appears they use the same deck based on their website so I would not recommend.

• Options
    Interesting...I didn’t see any comments that talked about the deck giving out. Do you use a fan other than the one on the equipment? Did they replace the failed items or did you have to pay for them? Do you run on it every day? Just trying to get an idea on usage. I train outside mostly but want another option on the really cold and wet days. I have a dry and heated space for the TM. Thanks!

Joe Gretsch
    206-335-8440

On Jun 22, 2020, at 6:33 AM, Eric Ensminger wrote:

I am a ~10 year user of SOLE. I am 200-220 lbs over the 10 years.

I keep it in my basement that is high humidity in summer (not wet). I have replaced the deck once as it is particle board and failed once, and is failing again. I have replace the head unit once as it does not tolerate the sweat spray.

Customer service has always been great.

It appears they use the same deck based on their website so I would not recommend.
  • Options

I use it 2x week during the winter 5-8 mile runs, and 1x during the summer. I prefer to be outside as much as possible.

Deck is lifetime warranty, so it was free, just a hassle.

The head unit was under warranty at the time so they replaced that for free too.

Customer service was great to work with, and I have not seen a better value option.

• Options
    Thanks for the info. Maybe it will be better after 10 years. We will have three users in our house but I will be using it the most. We will see what happens.

Joe Gretsch
    206-335-8440

On Jun 22, 2020, at 7:08 AM, Eric Ensminger wrote:

I use it 2x week during the winter 5-8 mile runs, and 1x during the summer. I prefer to be outside as much as possible.

Deck is lifetime warranty, so it was free, just a hassle.

The head unit was under warranty at the time so they replaced that for free too.

Customer service was great to work with, and I have not seen a better value option.
  • Options

I have the X22i, quality product, nice screen, 3 year warranty, one year free of iFit, thereafter about 120 / year....

I like the breadth of programs you can choose which automatically move the TM elevation and speed to match the instructor and course you choose.

I also like the mapping function that let's you map any goggle map course, set your pacing and thereafter the TM will move the elevation automatically and match the pace you set.....

Good value...

• Options
    Do you have to pay for the mapping function? I thought the Ifit was more money. Maybe that’s just the sales $ figure to let you know that’s the value of the “free for a year”.

Joe Gretsch
    206-335-8440

On Jun 22, 2020, at 11:20 AM, Shaughn Simmons wrote:

I have the X22i, quality product, nice screen, 3 year warranty, one year free of iFit, thereafter about 120 / year....

I like the breadth of programs you can choose which automatically move the TM elevation and speed to match the instructor and course you choose.

I also like the mapping function that let's you map any goggle map course, set your pacing and thereafter the TM will move the elevation automatically and match the pace you set.....

Good value...
  • Options

The promotion I purchased included iFIT free for one year.

That includes everything no additional fee besides the membership.

The next year of membership is ~$120 USD.

• Options
    Have you tried the google mapping? Do you need Ifit to use that? I am just one to try to limit annual dues if I can. Does it connect with Zwift or do you need an adapter of some kind? Thanks for helping with the questions!

Joe Gretsch
    206-335-8440

On Jun 22, 2020, at 11:29 AM, Shaughn Simmons wrote:

The promotion I purchased included iFIT free for one year.

That includes everything no additional fee besides the membership.

The next year of membership is ~$120 USD.
  • Options

Yes, the Google mapping function requires iFit and works great. I have run the IMSG course several times and it picks up the elevation changes well.

No TM connects to Zwift by itself. Best tool for that is to buy a Stryd footpod which can be used on any TM to connect to Zwift including a hotel TM while running Zwift on your phone.

• Options

Just picked up on this thread. I need to up my Pain Cave game, and treadmill is definitely on the list since I live in Wisconsin. I'm curious where some people netted out here:

@Joe Gretsch have you bought anything yet? If you have, and have reactions, share them!

@scott dinhofer what did you end up doing, and are you happy with it?

• Options

Also meant to add @Al Truscott to the list. I know it's summer, and they apparently take a long time to get the treadmill delivered sometimes... have you had a chance to run on it?

My biggest concern is that I will run on this A LOT over the winter, and I want to make sure I don't destroy it quickly.

Thanks all!

• Options

@Joe Gretsch I've got the F85 and have had mine for 4 years now. I've found it to be bomb proof. The one issue I have is that the speed is way off compared to both Stryd and Garmin. I've re-calibrated a few few times to no avail -- for me, the treadmill shows about 40" faster per mile than my actual pace. How have you enjoyed yours to date?

If I had to do it again, I'd look at something with automatic decline, but it's possible to put some blocks under the back of the deck and get decline that way.

• Options

@Rob Tune - I got the Sole TT8, its a great TM. Setup was a breeze. only issue is the belt was slipping, this was not a belt tension issue, but a drive belt issue. given that I am handy and because of youtube, I was able to open it up and adjust. I do think the screen setup is a bit old fashioned given the touchscreens on competitors..

I did file a return request with Sole a few months ago after writing the piece above, i got an automated response and next should have heard from CS on arranging a pickup.. I had it partially disassembled and moved into the garage. In the ensuing time I researched both the TT8 and the NT 22 and decided to stick with the Sole. btw never heard back from CS and theoretically they are coming to pick it up any day now..

@Shaughn Simmons - many TMs including yours "connect" to Zwift, the question is what is transmitted on the connection. for the ones that connect it's just reporting speed & incline to Zwift. no control happens from Zwift back to the TM.

the TMs that work with Zwift are here

My TM, like most, is not looking very accurate on it's speed reporting. It definitely shows speed slower than what is really going on. I am going to have to play with Stryd and see the difference. I had thought to get the

btw, per the news today, Zwift got a $445 million investment today led by KKR, the belief is that they are going to start making hardware, trainers, wattbikes & Treddy's. I can see an upgrade cycle when that happens.

• Options

I've got a Sole F85 and love it also. I agree with @Jeff Phillips that the speed seems way off compared to my Stryd so I tend to run by feel or power, depending on the day. My Stryd typically comes within 5 seconds per mile on the gym treadmills I used to run on.

https://www.treadmillreviews.net/sole-f85/

Tom

• Options

@Tom Glynn I've found in the winter I've got to run by HR inside just due to the heat build-up. I'll monitor Stryd, but found I can overcook my easy durability runs

• Options
    I ended up getting the Sole F85. It is pretty good so far. It connects with Zwift pretty well but just doesn’t auto change incline and speed. Not really sure any do at this point. It did take about 10 weeks to get which was a little later than expected. CS always got back to me anytime I had questions about ETA. Set up takes about 1.5 hrs. They deliver it to your garage and the base is the heaviest part and will take a couple people. The rest is pretty light weight. The TM is pretty close to the same size as a typical TM at a gym. Settings are pretty basic. The one feature that I thought might be cool with the NordicTrack X Series is that you can import the running route of say the Saint George IM and it will auto change to the elevation. I didn’t think I really needed that for the additional $ and Sole was having a sale so went that route. The reviews about the warranty seemed pretty good as well as comparing the warranties themselves.

Hope this helps!

Sent: Wednesday, September 16, 2020 12:27 PM
    To: Joe Gretsch
    Subject: Re: [Endurance Nation Community] Treadmills

Just picked up on this thread. I need to up my Pain Cave game, and treadmill is definitely on the list since I live in Wisconsin. I'm curious where some people netted out here:

@Joe Gretsch have you bought anything yet? If you have, and have reactions, share them!

@scott dinhofer what did you end up doing, and are you happy with it?
  • Options

@Joe Gretsch - i did a bunch of online research into the TMs and the sole (as well as the Nordictrack) kept coming up as top picks. given that I didn't want the subscription to anything forever when I use zwift as my subscription, I opted to stick with the sole.. Jill uses it a lot, her son & daughter have each been on it a bit, so It's a win. I will have to start using my stryd as others above mention for pairing with Zwift.

If Customer service ever responds to my request, I guess I could re-think it, in fact, if I re-read this thread and look more into it, i still might given that I have the email I originally sent them.. Curious if any of the screen based treadmills allow you to run the map function without having the subscription @Shaughn Simmons ??

• Options
    edited September 21, 2020 3:08PM

@Scott Alexander one quick comment on the Nordictrack subscription (I've had a Nordictrack 2950 for a couple of years now) the TM works just fine as a normal TM without any subscription. We used the iFit subscription for the first year (we got one year free). My wife liked some of the workouts, and I used the mapping feature to run the 70.3 Coeur d'Alene course many times. We've since let the subscription lapse and just use it as a regular TM. If/when we ever get back to racing I'll probably renew the subscription to be able to run courses again, so I see it as nothing but upside to be able to have iFit available to me when I want it, and if I don't I just don't pay for the subscription. Most of the time I'm just running in Zwift (on an iPad) with my Stryd footpod.

There's also a hack you can look up on Youtube where you can get into "admin" mode and install Netflix on the onboard screen so you can watch content on the TM screen.