Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Nicole Cervantes Official Coach Thread [TeamEN]

Here's your personal Coach Thread, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is here to guide you through your first year on EN, so you can always come back here.

As you'll see in this forum, I handle all manner of edits and changes. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Your Races

• IMTulsa is hosting a training camp on 04/30-05/03
  • 05/17/2020 Kansas City Triathlon Oly Distance
  • Ironman Tulsa (2020-05-31) #IMTulsa_20   

Your Notes

4- 70.3 Kansas, Austin 2015, Boulder 2016 and Boulder 2018

Several smaller, local races

2018 IMLouisville Focusing on bike 2-3 x per week with long bike on Saturday up to 2.5/3 Hrs, Swim 1hr 1 to 2 times a week, run (trying to save my back for the race) 2-3 times a week, long run on Saturday up to 6 ish miles right now. Strength training on Monday and Thursday. Been doing the stair machine since I am nursing a stress fracture on my right shin. Have had neck C3-C5 fused as well as L2-S1 fused, currently struggling with additional spinal degeneration.  

Season Outline

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won't complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on Final Surge by clicking on Training Plans / My Plans. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

>> Last updated by Coach on February 23 2020

• On 2/24/2020  Load the  -- EN Full Prep Plan, 4wks to end on  3/22/2020
  • **Transition Early**
  • On 3/9/2020  Load the    EN Full Bike Focused, 12wks to end on  5/31/2020
  • On 6/1/2020  Load the  -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on  6/28/2020

Training Plan Support in Your First Month

You can connect with @matt limbert as needed in your first month to get dialed in with your training plans and data. You can set up a call with him online here: https://calendly.com/new-member-phone-call/1 and he'll be on this thread shortly!

Your Homework

Tell Me Your Season Goals

• What will make you consider this season a success?
  • What's your biggest limiter right now?

Start Learning

Every month we hold live events as part of our commitment to make you just as smart as you are fit. Feel free to visit our Coach Lesson page and our Office Hours page to find the next opportunity to connect with Coach Patrick and your Teammates.

Contact Points

As part of your journey to becoming a Self Coached Triathlete inside TeamEN, we are prepared to give you excellent support for your first 90 days. Our goal is to transition you from live, in-person support to using our digital resources and the Team to help you continue your progress as you execute your Three Year Plan.

These are all the key points in your first year where we must talk. Please remember to include your phone number.

• Welcome Call in Week One (set it up here)
  • Training Plan Call in Week Two to talk about your season (set it up here)
  • End of Trial Call -- We review your experience & Unlock Year One / Race Execution for you (set it up here)
  • End of Season Call -- We review your year & Strategize for your End of Year Gap and Year Two (TBD in this Coach Thread)

Questions

• Coach Questions - Right here in this thread. Always reply to this same thread, it keeps a record for us as we evolve together!
  • General Questions - Simple stuff can go to the General Discussion Forum for the Team to answer. For example, Best Bike? How to improve run cadence? How to flip turn?
  • Need Help? - Please check the EN Help Site first!
  • Admin Questions - Billing or orders or whatnot? Use the red chat button at the bottom of the Members Site (not forums) or email us here.
  • Specific Questions about a Race or Power, etc? - You can post those into the General Discussion Forum and set the title or tags for that topic. Race questions to the Racing Forum, etc. Not sure where to post? Put it in the General Discussion forum and we will sort it out. Whatever you do, PLEASE ask your questions!!

For short or last minute questions, we recommend you use the Red Chat Icon on the main Members website.

We have also organized a complete chart of the best ways to contact us online here.

Your First Month on the Team

You have quite a few things to do when you start up. There are instructions on the top of the website, but you can review them under Resources / Trial Member Welcome.

Your First Year Inside Endurance Nation

This will be unlocked after your trial expires.

Looking forward to working with you this year,

~ Coach P

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

@Nicole Cervantes

Hey Nicole, Welcome! Super cool have you with us. I'm here help you get setup in Final Surge, help you get organized, understand your workout structure, show you where to find our race execution guidance, and how to connect with the rest of the team. I'm here to walk you through all of it.

If just want to start with the workouts, that's cool. But, we can also make you smarter about your training and racing and shared experience of the entire team. If you want learn and read - we have forums and blogposts. If you want to watch and learn - we have a video library If you are looking for a social connection and like the extra interaction and accountability - we got that too!

Let me know what you are interested in, and I'll point you in the right direction. Our goal is to not only make you fitter, but smarter, and offer you the help and experience of our entire team to put together a race you race be proud of!

If any questions you have getting started - chat with me here in this forum or schedule another call with me here: https://calendly.com/new-member-phone-call/1

A few thoughts on getting setup and organized

First off, think of this as an opportunity to get fitter, smarter, and share your experience with the rest of the team. Coach Patrick has designed a Race Roadmap for you. The progression of workouts will get you fitter and prepare you physically to race but, getting smarter about training and race execution is what sets Endurance Nation apart from other programs. Here you have access to Coach Patrick (11x Kona qualifier), a library of his Coach Lessons, and the experience of hundreds of other athletes across all age groups - willing to share their advice and what has worked (or not) for them. We would love to have your experience and voice in those forums too.

Want to know the best equipment to buy? Where to stay for your race? How to triage you week of training when you have to travel for work? How to ride hills efficiently? How manage your power and heart rate on a hot day? You name it the Team can help you and make you a smarter athlete. There is free speed out there just by being smarter at how you play the game. Check out the GroupMe, forums and the learning section from the main Endurance Nation page to get started (see below for links).

Consider downloading the Final Surge App. This makes it way easier to add comments about how you felt, ate, weather, and paces etc. Those are all super helpful to you as you track your progress, prepare and plan your for your race.

We definitely want to see those hours, miles, and heart beats - but we also want to know how you felt, mood, how mentally easy or hard the workout was, what you ate and drank on those long rides (helps dial in your fueling and hydration for long races), what went good (as a reminder) and what you want to work on next time. This takes your Final Surge account from just workout data to a full on training log - where you see your progression and become a smarter athlete. 

To make comments, select the activity and click on the "pencil" icon to tap "how I felt" or "perceived effort." You can add a few notes about what you ate/drank, how you felt mentally, the weather or any aches etc. Those comments are really handy when you are comparing workouts, tailoring your own training, evaluating progress and planning for your ride. It also makes it easy to look at and plan for your upcoming workouts. Just a quick not goes a long way.

For any questions you have getting started - chat with me here in this forum or schedule another call with me here: https://calendly.com/new-member-phone-call/1

Here are a few things to do: 

#1 Subscribe to your Coach Thread.

Subscribe to your Coach Thread and get an email when we respond. Your Coach Thread is the best way to get a hold of us. It documents all of your training questions, its always here for your reference. 

Here is how: 

#2 Get setup in Final Surge. 

Sync your Garmin or Strava account with Final Surge. All your workouts will upload automatically.

Connect only one! Chose either Strava OR Garmin. Strava works better if you ride on Zwift!

#3 Down load the Final Surge App

Final Surge | Mobile Apps

https://www.finalsurge.com/apps

#4 Join our GroupMe chat

Our forums and GroupME chat its a great place to learn, ask questions and connect for accountability with other Team members. Need to buy a new training gadget? What is the best xxxx? Want some advice about your race we? We have someone on the Team that as done it before and can help you race like a veteran. Ask in the group chat, start a forum post, or just search the library.

Your new Friends are waiting for you.

GroupMe is an app you can download to your smartphone, visit on the web, and even search if you want. GroupMe is a running group chat that team members use to get a quick answer to a question, accountability, and celebrate a new PR!

GroupMe

·        EN Live 24/7  [Join Here]

·        Run Group [Join Here]

·        Zwift Chat [Join Here]

·        Events  [Join Here]

·        Race Groups [Join Here]

#5 Explore ways to get smarter. Train and race like a veteran! Learn more and dial in your own training and race execution. Get training tips and execution advice from other TeamEN veterans

All of the Training Plans are explained here. The HIM Bike plan is about halfway down the page. 6' video and a few short paragraphs.

http://members.endurancenation.us/TrainingPlan/TrainingPlanCentralPage.aspx#half

Check out the Opportunities To Learn:

http://members.endurancenation.us/Resources/RacingMemberCentral/RaceExecutionDetails/MasterRaceExecutionPage(HalfFull).aspx

Use the Table of Contents links at the top of the page to jump to that parts that interest you.

The EN 4 keys to Race Execution Video is a good place to start. Patrick talks about

#1 Racing is Execution NOT fitness

#2 The Line - is where you start racing. For the IM, that is mile 18 of the marathon. All your decisions set up your ability to race when you get to that line. There is no such thing as a good bike split followed by a poor run. The bike sets up the run.

# 3 The Box - All day long you are going to race inside a box defined by what you can control. Ask yourself "What do I need to do right NOW to create the conditions for success at The Line? 

# 4 One Thing - Before the race, you need to be able to answer the question: "Why am I doing this race?" During the course of your race day, expect your body to have a very convincing conversation with your mind: "This is really starting to get old and very painful. You need to give me a good reason to keep going forward. If you can't give me a good one, I'm gonna slow down."

While these may seem simple, the process of pacing, adapting to conditions, and managing fueling/hydration is more detailed in the text and in the video.

Detailed Race Preparation and Planning resources (Impact of Heat on Pace calculator, Pacing with Power on the Bike, etc.) http://members.endurancenation.us/Resources/Wiki/tabid/91/Default.aspx?topic=Race+Execution

Check out Coach Patrick's videos under Learning -> Coach Lessons - "How to race in the heat," "Checklists and Race Logistics Matter"

Forums. If social media and chat groups are not your thing. Take a look at our forums. These are not your typical forums or chat rooms. These are where our smartest members hang out and answer questions or give advice. https://endurancenation.vanillacommunities.com/categories

Think of this as your biggest group of endurance and athlete friends. These folks are super helpful. We have a set of Wicked Smart Members (WSM). These athletes are vetted by the rest of the team and Coach Patrick. They are recognized for their expertise and willingness to help.

As part of your TeamEN membership you now have complete access to the entire Learning section. Check out the Coach Lesson Videos, Race Execution Guidance there and look through the forums. There are tons of race reports to help you learn more about training and racing.

#6 Smart Trainer Integration

We have workouts already built for Zwift and Trainer Road for the OutSeason, HIM and IM plans. If you have a smart trainer and a Zwift or Trainer Road account, download the workouts for Zwift to your computer or login to Trainer Road library and get after it inside.

SignIn

http://members.endurancenation.us/TrainingPlan/TrainingPlanCentralPage.aspx#outseason

For Zwift: Unzip the workouts into Documents -> Zwift -> Workouts -> "rider number" folder on the device you use to stream Zwift. My "rider number" is 126713. It will be the only numbered folder under workouts.

For Trainer Road: Use this like to request access to the EN workout library. Request access by sending a message "Request Invite to Trainer Road" to ppisaj2s@inbound.intercom-mail.com 

My goal is to make your first month of Endurance Nation as simple and as awesome as possible! I want to help you get the most out of your workouts, Final Surge, learn more about race execution and how the team can help you get to your race goals.

Talk with you soon,

Matt, Training Plan Coordinator

• Options

Your Homework

Tell Me Your Season Goals

• What will make you consider this season a success?
    • What's your biggest limiter right now?

Thank you for all of the information. I do have a lot of questions that I am sure will come up. I will say that I am very nervous about training like this. I have worked with a local coach for many years that has done a significant amount of research to help develop ways for me to continue training an accomplishing my goals with my limitations and continued battle with my disease. I would still be working with him but he is also racing and it is difficult if not impossible for him to provide support while training for his own race. My husband is also racing and training for IMTulsa. This will be his 4th and my 2nd. We plan on racing together as much as we can. When I did IMLOU, it was 18 months after my L2-S1 fusion (March of 2017). It was to prove to everyone that said I couldn't that I could. Due to the "difficulties" with spine my running gait is always changing and I had a stress fracture and power walked the marathon but actually was power walking faster than some were running. My neck is fused also C4-C7 which prevents certain rotation, (this surgery was in 2011). For instance, I can turn and breath to the right and get very nausea trying to bilateral breathing.

My disease onset was in 2008 and my Dr said I would be in a wheelchair within 5 years, "This is your new life, better get used to it" was what he said to me. I fired him instantly. I have been through 5 PCPs, 3 pain management doctors, and 2 surgeons before I found my team of medical professionals that treat my goal as theirs and not just want to start filling out the disability paperwork...Stay moving and stay on the road!

There are a few things that I would like to add...I have worked very hard on building strength since recovering from IMLOU by doing weights on Monday and Tuesday nights. Since I do have another stress fracture I have been substituting some of my runs with the stair machine since that does not hurt my let at all. My success will be related to the strength of core that I can engage when I get tired and loose my form.

I plan on working VERY hard this season because my whole goal this year and during IMTulsa is to have fun. That would be what I consider a successful race. I want to be trained and strong enough that my husband isn't making comments the whole run to "straighten up straight" When I get tired, my spine will fold to the front and left and then lock in that position. I can continue while in a tremendous amount of pain but I tend to have to fight the med teams at races when they try and pull me . I would love to go into the race without an injury and not finish by being taken to the med tent. I know this all sounds basic but it is what happens with each and every race. That is why I decided to try something different. I think I am working harder right now than I did even going into IMLou. I was only able to train about 4 days a week for that race and with modified workouts because that was all that my body would tolerate. Right now, I'm doing 6 days a week and sometimes 2x a day.

I will be scheduled for a spinal simulator possibly during this training session which might put me down for a bit of a recovery time. I am trying to get that done sooner than later. If it takes too long to get in and scheduled and the down time will interfere to much, I will postpone it until after the race.

There is no better feeling for me than to spend 6-8 hours out on my bike with the sun beating down on my back. This training however, will be cold weather training and much on the trainers inside. This is a new challenge for me but I like a challenge so here we go!

I am not fast, I am not the strongest but my mental fortitude is immeasurable.

This was a lot of information and if you read it all...thank you! I really hope this works out. I am excited and nervous at the same time.

I'm sorry if this is graphic. My husband suggested I send these pictures so you know exactly what we are working with.

Thank you again!

Nicole

• Options

@Nicole Cervantes Your hardware photos don't lie...thank you for sharing it all out and for the call today. I am excited and nervous for this journey! 😁

I have updated your Final Surge Plan for March...note I switched it to the Full Minimalist plan (there was a Half Iron plan in there) so you might notice a few different things. I have followed the plan we discussed for 3 weeks..but the last 2 weeks of March I have you biking 3x a week...so that layout is a bit different (with a Monday day off). We can discuss as we get closer.

For now, let's keep up that great work...and please keep those updates coming (now and on the Sunday!).

Chat soon,

~ Coach P

Ps let's set up a call for mid March here: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min

• Options

I have fallen in love with a new torture devise. The FreeForm treadmill. Looks like Norditrack has 3 versions like it in their X series. I've tried to do some research to see if one is better than the other and don't see to see the difference except the screen size. There is a $1750 delta in prices so thinking there must be more than just a screen size for the display. Any experience or information would be wonderful. I currently just have a regular treadmill that I can incline a bit and run on it at 1.5 incline. It's on it's last leg though so will probably need to be replaced shortly (hoping so anyway because I really want one of these and need to justify buying one) Thank you,

• Options

@Nicole Cervantes That's awesome that you found a new torture device.......I mean treadmill. Anything that makes the experience better is a win. This is a great question to ask the rest of the team and leverage their collective experience of 300+ athletes. They would be glad to help. Post here: https://endurancenation.vanillacommunities.com/categories/general-training-discussions

(You can just copy and paste the above ^^^ in a new discussion and you will get some great advice / experience from the rest of the team!) Give it shot!

• Options

Sorry I have been MIA. I got super sick this week and have been out of action. It is KILLING ME! My throat was hurting after my swim on Sunday so just thought it was from the pool. I thought I had a good workout Monday but my husband told me I just wasn't myself or pulling the levels I usually do. Tuesday just went down hill 100%. I would have pushed through it but didn't want to get anyone else sick at the gym. I've not worked out since Monday and will still take today, Friday off. I plan on riding the full 4 hours tomorrow. We are riding a less hilly route so more of a zone 1-2 ride but will do my zone 4 pushes and then a run after.

Notes on last Sundays run: I am reading the book about Chi running and it is helping me tremendously with being able to relax on my runs. Also, I found a miracle by accident on Sunday. I ran with my heavier water belt that holds a full size bottle since it was longer and a little warmer than normal. It was bugging the heck out of me so I pushed it down on my hips to keep it out of the way. I hit some kind of trigger point when doing so and it completely took away ALL of my back pain. I normally run with a pain level of a 6 (always in pain when running) but seriously, it was instantly GONE. I teared up thinking that this must be what most people feel like when running and can actually enjoy it without hurting so much. It did keep sliding so I had to constantly adjust it. Good thing about being married to an engineer is that he has already ordered the parts to try and create the same situation (belt) for me to run in that won't slide (can you imagine if I discovered something to allow people with back pain to function in life better?) I'm including pictures...it will be important to include a little pocket on the side to add weight as the water bottle needed to be on my right him to get the full affect. I could have kept running, I wasn't tired and I wasn't hurting at all.

I also have video of my swimming like we discussed but I haven't edited it yet since I've been sick but will get that done also.

If you haven't noticed, I'm a talker/typer and give a lot of information, probably too much. I just looked at the calendar and the race is SO close...AHHHH!

• Options

@Nicole Cervantes Sorry to hear that you got sick 🤧 for tomorrow's ride please take it easy and go shorter and skip the run. 😬 We would rather have you rested and fully recovered for next week, then get in a so-so ride and extend your sickness. That kind of sickness is really stressful on your body. A 4 hr ride + run makes it even harder to recover. You are tough and disciplined enough to get the work done, and we know you can already ride 3:45 because you just did it last week. So you most likely can benefit more from rest that you need a 4 hour easy ride, right now. That goes for the split run on Sunday too. Depending on how you feel split it as 30' and 30' or a single 45-60 min run - only if you feel normal. Have a bias for rest and use the extra time for a nap. For real! A training nap!😴 It will pay off huge for next week. You have a big ride next week. Its your Challenge Ride - here is a video where Coach Patrick explains the intent behind the ride. https://endurancenation.wistia.com/medias/tvvwxwaytz

Glad you found something that will make your runs more enjoyable! That's awesome! What an fortunate series of events. I'm sure you will be able to dial it in and prevent the slipping etc. I love that you are reading the Chi running book and that it has helped you relax more. Thanks for the pictures.

Chat with you soon. Let us know how you are doing and how this weekend goes.

• Options

Thank you so much for the advise. We took out on Saturday for a nice and easy 3.5 ish hr ride on a pretty flat course we have around here. By the time we started, winds were a steady 21-25ish mph with gusts from the South at 30-40 mph. As we get out of the car and my husband says it would probably be best to go back to the house and pop on the trainers...my I wanna be a bada$$ switch flipped and I said NOPE, we are doing this. I just keep thinking that we are doing this IM in the midwest in spring so the chances of having wind like this during the race are pretty plausible. It was a good ride, we had a total of 3 legs of about 5 miles with straight headwinds. First time was fun (look how strong I am, I can do this, others are on their trainers, I'm out DOING this!) Second leg out was like "ok" , Third was back to the car and for the first time in my riding history, I just wanted to pull over and sit down for a minute. I didn't, I made it back! The rest was a pretty strong cross wind. My forearms are tired and sore today from my death grip. I ride with 808's on both front and back, I'm not a little girl, but not a big girl either and THAT wind, just WOW. I was actually coming down hill with some momentum on the way back and the wind hit me at around 40ish and I came to a complete STOP. It was a little funny..

Decided to run on the treadmill on Sunday, it was still super windy and my neck hurt more than it ever had after the ride on Saturday. Start was rough but found my grove after a little bit. I always run slower on the treadmill for some reason?? But when I go back out, I tend to be faster and more evenly paced so, I'll take it.

I am more sore today than usual after a long weekend. I will contribute that to not working out all week and still not being 100% this weekend. My hamstrings are sore, I think I was pulling a lot against the wind Saturday. I rode in arrow most of the time to stay as small as I could. I would try to sit up for power but would lose more in resistance than I would gain in power. It was definitely what I call a character building weekend!

I will resume my normal training as much as I can this week. Tonight is weights and the stair machine for 15/20 minutes I truly believe this machine is building strength in the right places without the impact.

***I need to figure out something for my neck pain. I wore a stick on heating pad at the base of my neck, I did that for IMLOU also. It helps so much. However; the new damage I have in my neck at C2-C4 is causing havoc on keeping my head up while riding. I'm not sure what exercises might work to build strength around those areas to help with stability so if you have any recommendations, I'm all over it! I'll see if my doc will send out a steroid to calm the inflammation from Saturday and get me ready for next week.

I'm excited for the long weekend ahead. I am truly in my happy place being out on my bike for hours all day long. We will have to switch from Sat to Sun due to the predicted weather. I don't like riding on tired legs from a run the day before but will do what I have to. The wind is only predicted at 11 mph, it will be like nothing compared to what we have been riding in 😏

Thanks for all of your help!

• Options

@Nicole Cervantes 808's in that kind of wind! 😨 I would have wanted to sit on the side of the road too!😂 Remind never to taunt your bada$$ self. That is one I don't want to mess with, but good to know she is in there. I can imagine you are more sore just from the additional tension in your arms and neck from riding in those conditions. Great work though. You did all the right things: staying aero and even stopping when it got really extreme. All good decisions.

RE: Treadmill. Treadmills are tricky with pacing. You never really know how accurate they are, or at least I'm skeptical of the ones I have to use. Either way, it is always good double check what the treadmill is telling you with your own perceived exertion.

RE: Neck. I'm glad you found something that works with the stick on heat patch to temporarily help. Having you head in the aero position can put a lot of strain anybody's neck and you have a more complex situation. We would have to default to the doctor's expertise there. Maybe you can show him the positon you need to hold and he can make some recommendations. Some athletes have had good luck with going to large frames sunglasses or a visor incorporated into the helmet because it gives that little extra visibility to the top of your eyes when your head is in that lower position.

You paid your dues last weekend with the weather, so I hope you get the weather you really want this weekend! 🌞

BTW. This week you start your 12 week race specific training block. Have you looked into joining our GroupMe 24/7 to connect with the rest of the Team or looked at any of our race execution stuff? 4 keys to race execution and our pacing guidance?

• Options

You crack me up! 🤣 I'm such an affirmation motivated person that this is what helps drive me.

I actually didn't stop, even with as much as I wanted to on the ride. I'm always afraid if I stop, I won't be able to get moving again. I didn't even stop to use the bathroom once racing IMLOU. I only took min in T2 to do so.

I have not done this: BTW. This week you start your 12 week race specific training block. Have you looked into joining our GroupMe 24/7 to connect with the rest of the Team or looked at any of our race execution stuff? 4 keys to race execution and our pacing guidance? I will look into it.

I wanted to mention that I won a trip with work. Being in the top 10 for the entire company. Again, I'm a bit competitive. It's supposed to be a relaxing all inclusive, extended weekend at a 5 star resort in Arizona...All sounds great except it is the first weekend in April. I cannot get answers on the type of gym that might be there or the equipment to train on. I'm trying to get the itinerary also to see how I can work in the training that weekend. No one seems to understand the importance of IM training so close to the race. I'm supposed to "relax" and unwind from the stresses of work, BUT, the stresses of possibly not training are overriding the possibility of the relaxation. The long run won't be a problem, I can find someplace to run and get up super early if needed. I was signed up for a local 1/2 marathon this particular weekend so I have to give that registration away so it does't go to waist also. I would do my long ride on another day but again, not sure when we leave, maybe Thursday (no time specified yet) or when we return, maybe Sunday (no time specified)

I felt the week of non-training when we started back up this weekend. I'm more sore than I have been in a long time and I'm sure that is from my week off. Last night felt great lifting and doing the stair machine. (that thing really kicks your but) My heart rate is easily in zone 3-4 most of the time and I think it is building my running ability without the extra impact on my back and leg. I will keep doing this throughout on both Monday and Thursday evenings.

So the essential part of this long dissertation is I'm very concerned about not being able to ride at all or do anything beyond a long run from April 2nd through April 6th and then I go in for a cervical nerve ablation (using a laser to burn and sever the nerves in my neck so they don't relay the pain to my brain) on April 7th which "might" take me down for that day for working out. I'm pretty sure I will not be able to swim as I normally due on Tuesdays due to the lack or rotation in my neck and the impact of running might be to much after they fry those nerves. it will help in the long run and hopefully take some of the pain away for my rides. It's just the recovery from the procedure. I may just be able to walk on an incline OR do the stair machine. Things that are no impact and don't require movement of my neck.

Thanks again for all of your help!

• Options
    edited March 12, 2020 12:10AM

@Nicole Cervantes Congratulations again on winning your resort trip! 👊 💥 We have been looking at your training for that resort week (2-6 April) and the following week with the surgery. Did you get any more info on the gym, bike, pool available? Is there any possibility that they would let take the trip to relax after your IM? Give us an update once we know a bit more about your itinerary and plans at the resort. We can work something out.

There is a race simulation at the end of that surgery week. So we might consider moving the race simulation workout to the week before the resort. Take a look at those workouts 10-12 April. Let us know if you would have time for them 27-29 March?

I love how you are already looking ahead to for that week after the cervical nerve ablation. Thanks for the head up. It's good to hear that it will help your long run. Let's just plan on skipping the swimming and running that week. I expect you will get some pretty clear guidance from the doctor on whether you will be cleared to do time on the road bike or trainer without the strain on your neck of the aero position?

Let's keep chatting and we will put something together for you.

• Options

Well....isn't this just FUN....Trip is cancelled, gyms and pools are closed (just as I was taking 30 seconds per 100 off my swim time) and we are training for a race that might or might not actually happen.

We will be getting "creative" as my husband put in on the strength training on Monday and Thursdays since we don't really have weights or anything like that at home. My husband being "creative" working out scares me more than this virus..LOL

This weekend was something else. My run felt ok but my leg was a little unstable and threw off my form. Tried super hard to keep my Chi but it was tough. I do really enjoy being able to get out and do these long runs. I make sure to "feel" like I am having a really great time and smile and appreciate how thankful I am that I get to run. I mean, come one, I just learned how to walk again in 2017. Swim felt good after the run. I really like that combination. The weather did not cooperate for an outdoor 5 hr ride on Sunday. We did a 3 hr hard trainer ride instead. My legs were already shot from the run so it was rather difficult but made the full 3 hours. My neck is still getting super sore and hard to hold my head up, even on the trainer when I don't have to watch the road and can just look down.

Woke up super muscular sore today, not painful as if I hurt something so that is doable to work through.

We will do as much of the training on the plan as possible. We have zero access to water right now. I will keep testing the temp of the lake we live on and as soon as it's safe, we will use that for our OWS if the pools don't open. Right now it's too cold and not safe to even attempt. I'm staying heavy on the triceps and lats to keep them strong so if/when we get to get back in the water they haven't suffered.

• Options

@Nicole Cervantes Trip cancelled. Bummer. 😧😪 Is it just postponed? I mean you still won! You are getting really fit - which is pretty awesome. The race just happens to be ONE way to express that fitness. May 31 is a long way off, especially with as fast as things seem to be changing.

Doing that strength work at home can be a good substitution. I'm sure you will keep the "creative" options in check! Your plan for working the triceps and lats sounds good. Find a few core exercises that work for you too if you can.

Glad to hear you enjoyed the run, even if it was not your best. I really like your ability to reflect and be present during your running. It brings an extra mental break and benefit. It is something a lot of athletes take for granted or miss entirely!

That long run + trainer ride really can add up. There is no place to hide on that trainer. You are constantly pressure on the pedals. No wonder you were a bit sore. But it sounds manageable overall, right?

Coach Patrick put together some guidance for training during the challenges of COVID 19. Check it out here: https://www.endurancenation.us/guides/endurance-training-and-racing-in-the-time-of-covid-19/

• Options

@Nicole Cervantes

https://endurancenation.wistia.com/medias/bl9laz9l18

Welcome to your SECOND MONTH  inside Endurance Nation! 

Our goal is to check in with you, determine the best way to help you continue your journey, and share your progress with the Team!

First off,  watch Coach Patrick’s Month Two video

Step One: Quick Update

Please use this form to update us on how things are going: https://forms.gle/k9p2o3ZYyhGo9U2N6 We will follow up with guidance and advice here in this thread. 

Step Two: Book Your Coach Check In Call

As part of TeamEN, you and Coach Patrick will talk one-on-one roughly 4x per year. Let’s connect soon and keep you rolling. Book your check in call with Coach Patrick online here: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min 

Step Three: Pick Your Learning Focus

We have several courses and resources for you based on your interest. You can browse the Courses here or review the Coach Lesson archive here

Need help picking a focus area? Ask us right here in this forum thread (be sure to @CoachP!!), via the red chat icon on the Members Site or by going to Help / Email Support.

Step Four: Your Friends are Waiting

We have several GroupMe channels where we want to hear about your training or you can get a quick answer to your latest race or gear question.  Get motivation and team awesomeness via EN Live on Facebook or if you’d rather chat, then find your home on the most relevant Team EN GroupMe chat channel

Looking forward to your next step!

~ Brenda

• Options

Good afternoon..so sorry for being MIA again. Thanks for the chuckle on my email @Coach Patrick I haven't logged in but I have been reading my emails on a regular basis. I'm trying to find my new norm at the moment, which will change as of Thursday. Currently I have a small "pacemaker" tapped to my side that has leads running into my spine transmitting electronic pulses trying to control the pain receptors. My workout is limited as they leads are just floating and not affixed so I have to watch and not dislodge them. They are being pulled on Thursday. This was a trial to see if I wanted to have them perm, surgically inserted..as of right now, I'm not getting enough pain relief to make it worth the surgery. Maybe the settings can be adjusted enough in the next day to change my mind as we are changing them every 4 hours right now.

I was able to get in a 4 mile walk and a 30 min bike with an additional treadmill walk this weekend. I will go for an hour walk/slog tonight. Its difficult to push this trial while still having limitation. We transferred our race to IMFlorida, I am TERRIFIED of an ocean swim as I'm just not a strong swimmer anyway and just heard today they added the 70.3 at the same time so that puts more people in the water. I always wanted to see what I could do on the bike course so that is what I would like to push! And the run...well, we know how well that is. I feel I had a very strong base before these 2 surgeries this past week but am concerned now that I need to back off and in order to pick back up. I believe my friend and training partner will be signing up for the race and training plan also so that will help.

• Options
    Nicole -

Thanks for checking back in again and for the update. I'm pleased to hear
    that the surgery went well although I'm sorry to hear that you're not
    getting enough relief through those leads. I know your journey has been
    atypical, but I do appreciate how well you know your body.

The OWS is something we can deal with, right now it's recovery and then
    rebuilding. The good news is you had a really good baseline level of
    fitness before the surgery. It's also important to remember that the
    majority of other people also doing the rest are pretty darn freaked out as
    well! :-) Looking forward to seeing you getting back at it.

~ Coach P
  • Options

@Nicole Cervantes

https://endurancenation.wistia.com/medias/nfahr9cl1b

Welcome to your THIRD MONTH  inside Endurance Nation! 

Our goal this month is to help you be race ready for your next big event and make sure your connected with your teammates!

First OFF, be sure to check out Coach Patrick’s video online here

Step One: Quick Update Form

Please use this form to update us on how things are going: https://forms.gle/2BAufR2WyTUjkHvE7 We will follow up with guidance and advice via email so you can stay on track. 

Step Two: Research Your Race

Leverage your teammates to make sure your race is the best it can be.

• First, head over to the EN Forums and use the search functionality to see if there are race reports or other information in our system. 
    • Second, ask the Team what they know by creating a research thread in the Races & Places Forum or by posting to the GroupMe 24/7 channel.
    • When you are ready, go ahead and post your Race Plan to the Racing Forums as well 

Step Three: Connect with Fellow Racers

• Depending on the size of your race, you might have a GroupMe channel that you can find under the Community section here.
    • If there isn’t one, you can still head over to the Race Database and use the password WORKWORKS. From there you type the race name into the search box To get someone’s name. Return to the EN Forums and send them a private message!

** Additional Support **

In addition to The Forums and other Team-related support, you still have the chance to connect with Coach Patrick across your first year -- check the Athlete Roadmap. Right now it’s time for your three month call with Coach Patrick; and you can book it here.

If you are looking for support above and beyond the traditional Endurance Nation experience, you can book a consult with Coach Patrick. These are billed at $100/hour and Can be on almost any training or racing topic. Please click here to learn more / get started. 

Congratulations on moving forward with you training as you build to your race goals. We can’t wait to see what you are capable of this season!

~ Team EN

• Options

Good afternoon,

I have been MIA, yet again. I had several complications to the surgery after I got home and was taken back to the hospital for another procedure. I am on day 5 of 5 on my restricted movement and my first day back to work in 2 weeks. I am so happy to be feeling better with each day. I know I won't be starting from scratch but will need to almost start over after I can evaluate how much damage these past 3ish weeks have done to my training level. It might be another week before I can try and run again but should be able to hop back on the bike this week. My wonderful husband got me a Tacx trainer for my bike. I'm excited to learn how to use it and maybe it will make me despise the trainer just a bit less :) The lake is warm enough that we can start OWS too. With the restricted movement, putting on a wetsuit is more detrimental than actually swimming...LOL

I'm not sure what we need to do to work on a new training plan that will help get me back into shape without stressing my already traumatized body to much. Please advise on what we do next.

Thanks, Nicole

• Options

@Nicole Cervantes Nicole thanks for checking back in. We hadn't heard from you in a while and glad to hear you are feeling better. 😀 I love that you are on day 5 of 5 you restricted movement and ready to get back to work! 👊

Coach Patrick is going to take a look at your training before the surgery and come up some ideas. In the meantime, can you tell us bit more about your restricted movement time and any on going physical therapy or guidance your doctors have said?

Tacx trainer! What a wonderful husband! You have a lot of options now that make riding inside more enjoyable. Zwift, Rouvy, etc. Zwift has the largest market share with the most riders. They have a variety of courses, races, workouts, group rides, or just free riding around.

Here some background of EN on Zwift. It also gives you an idea of what the indoor riding experience looks like on Zwift.

• Options

@Nicole Cervantes - Ok, so you are aiming to get back in the game with a new trainer to boot! #winning #itsthesmallthings Here is what I am thinking for you to help ease the transition back in terms of plans.

I used our "start of season" plans to re-enter and ramp you up, then we go into a double dose of our Full Prep Plan (each is 4 weeks). The goal here is to give you time to the adjust to the volume, etc, before moving to actual "race preparation" training.

I have loaded the first plane into your account for now with modifications. I didn't want to do any more than that simply because I'm assuming will have to make a fair amount of changes. Please check it out and let me know what you think and we can start re-shaping it accordingly.

• On 4/27/2020 Load the  -- Durability Balanced Plan 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks  to end on 5/24/2020 28 [ 4 weeks ]
    • On 5/25/2020 Load the    Durability Balanced Plan 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks  to end on 6/21/2020 28 [ 4 weeks ]
    • On 6/22/2020 Load the    EN Full Prep Plan, 4wks to end on 7/19/2020 28 [ 4 weeks ]
    • On 7/20/2020 Load the    EN Full Prep Plan, 4wks to end on 8/16/2020 28 [ 4 weeks ]
    • On 8/17/2020 Load the    EN Full Bike Focused  to end on 11/8/2020 84 [ 12 weeks ]
    • On 11/9/2020 Load the  -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 12/6/2020 28 [ 4 weeks ]

• Options

@Coach Patrick ,

Thank you very much. I looked at what is on my schedule for this week and it looks very doable to get back into the grove. I walked with my friend last night a nice and easy 4 miles. I tried to run across the street to avoid a car and was reminded by my back that it is not ready to run yet. I like that you have walks in my plan at this point and I believe that will help get me back on the road.

• Options

This weekend was a bit different, didn't get my ride in but did so much other stuff. Switched my walk to Saturday and actually ran mile 1 and 3 of the 4 miles we did. It felt good to run again...I was surprised the my speed was still under 11 min miles and I was super happy about that :) I wasn't very sore at all which was something I was watching out for with my back and leg. I taped everything up for support and that seemed to help. You would think being off my leg for 3 weeks would help with the healing but NOPE, still very painful to run/walk on. It's the lifting motion so when I take weight off of it. When I'm moving in the forward motion and lifting my heal off the ground is when the pain activates. Leaving my foot in a more flat motion when lifting that leg doesn't hurt. That was why the stair machine worked so well, I could just pick up the leg without using the heel motion (if that makes any sense at all) The lake is finally warm enough to swim so I will look at adding that shortly.

We spent hours working outside, detailing the boat and working on the yard that I had nothing left to get my bike in...I will follow everything as closely as possible this week though..I need to get back into a routine to help myself out.

• Options

@Nicole Cervantes -- thanks for the update! I can understand how the constant pain can be a mental challenge, but I too am pleasantly surprised to hear that you were able to run as much as you did. It's a testament to just how fit you were heading into the surgery.

And don't worry about the schedule. This is the time of year when all sorts of things come up and get in the way. I don't know about you, but I feel like we have been crushing tasks every weekend like it's our job. My house has never looked better, and I have never been more tired! 🤣

I don't think there's a direct one to one comparison, but part of me feels as though doing a ton of work outside like that should equate to some percentage of your work out. Know what I mean? I think your short term goal should be to get back on some consistent schedule. Nothing radical, just flowing forward with intent.

Keep me posted!

~ Coach P

• Options

Good morning, I'm trying to figure out how all this works again. I though I had a good handle on it and what I was signed up for and getting. I apologize for my lack of understanding of how the program works. I had thought when I upgraded a couple of months ago, it would be the same program I was previously on with access to coaches and quick responses. But then, Brenda reached out and said since I referred my friend, I could upgrade.

Also, today when I checked, I didn't have a workout plan. I again, had thought Matt and I worked out what would be best to prepare and build up for IM Florida in November. I would like to match Gemma's workout so we are on the same plan but if my limitations don't work with that, it's understandable.

I appreciate the help and not sure where to go from here.

Thanks, Nicole

• Options

@Nicole Cervantes Great to hear from you. 😀 You do have a good handle on this. There are all kinds of upgrades! 😂

You upgraded a few months ago to TeamEN (middle tier of coaching) to keep you access to coaches and quick responses. As a bonus for referring a new member, you have the opportunity to upgrade CoachEN (highest tier of coaching) for one month. This gives you more direct access to Coach Patrick and he maps your goals to specific training metrics and a progression to meet those goals. Its an opportunity to check out the highest level of coaching interaction for a bit and thank you for the referral.

I loaded the rest of your new Season Roadmap that Coach Patrick laid out a few weeks ago. We modified this week to match up with the workout pattern from last week. He will make more modifications to the following weeks, but first we would like to hear more about how you are feeling and how your are recovering. Its been about a month after you surgery and it looks like you you are feeling better from the workouts you are posting.👊 Last weekend was one of your best long rides on Saturday, followed by a long run on Sunday! Nice work!

You and Gemma will match up more closely soon. You both will start the IM Bike focused plan at the same time. You both will have the opportunity to ride or run together on the weekend. But, we would like to hear more from both of you.

Let us know how you are feeling and how the workout pattern is working for you.

Let us know what you think. We'll get started on the rest of the roadmap.

Talk to you soon.

• Options

@Nicole Cervantes thanks for reaching out. I understand the confusion, and our apologies for that. Because you were for a member you get a little bit more attention than normal. But of course, given your current situation things are more dynamic than they are for the typical athlete. There's a great deal of feedback that we rely upon to make sure that the transition to each future step of the training plan makes sense.

While many of your teachers on the team or modifying their own training plans and moving workouts around, I want to be more involved in the decision making process from step to step. I have already sketched out the full year as you can see above, but that doesn't mean that we just go on auto pilot.

The flow of the year right now is to add a slight increase in the degree of difficulty for the last four weeks to these next four weeks. We do that by adding in some bike intervals. After this for weeks, we moved to a more traditional volume preparation program. That is also four weeks and looks more traditional from a Triathlon standpoint if you peek ahead.

While I want to talk with you about making this transition in the short term, we have the next block coming up as well. As of right now you can see all the workouts but I still want to make sure we're having a good connection with each other. If you haven't already, please set up a call with me here so we can talk about where you're at and where to go next based off of your feedback: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/30min

~ Coach P

• Options

Thank you both so very much! This makes me feel better. I locked and the workout is loaded. I had a bit of shock moment when it wasn't...LOL That's all on me!

Surgery was a mess and full of complications, in and out of the hospital for 3 weeks. But, I'm recovering super well. I will not be getting the implant and right now I am back on my previous pain management. I do go in to the doctor again in 2 weeks and I'm sure everything just remain the same. (praying anyway). This appointment was supposed to be to put me back together after IM Tulsa. BUT, that isn't necessary now :(

My husband is trying to kill me on the new Tacx trainer and Rouvy races. The bike this week was something else and when I was done, I had to lay on the floor for a good 15 min before I could move again but I did it and I finished. We did the 5150 Boulder course. I mastered this bike on the 1/2 a couple years ago but the Rouvey and the ride are so different as you don't get the coast at all on the trainer from bombing down hills. My goal was do finish the bike on Boulder 1/2 in under 3 hours and I did it in 3:03 aRGH!!! LOL The bike is my favorite but I enjoy outdoor riding and we just haven't been able to do that yet. If my bike is super strong, I have the confidence to do the rest.

I do like the IM Vertual races that have been going on but they are escalating fast and next weekend is a 1/2 and I'm pretty sure I'm not ready for those distances yet.

My nutrition is so far off right now. I don't cook at all and Jason is not commuting every week down to Texas so not cooking for me. I know I need to take control but I'll work 10 hr days when he isn't home and then go...oh, I need to work out and haven't eaten.

Can I hold the upgrade until we are closer to IM Florida (if we even have that race)

Thanks!

• Options

@Nicole Cervantes - So great to talk today...Appreciate you carving out a few minutes from all those phone calls!!!

Action Items for You:

• KT Taping Picture Of that knee. Ideally not upside down! Would be good to see.
    • Add a daily shake into your nutrition routine...ideally in the AM to get you through midday. Can't do it too close to actual workouts.
    • Adjust bike calories to every 30 minutes as long as you stay on the electrolyte drink. You can set a timer for 30 mins on your iPhone maybe? Eat as you start and every 30 mins thereafter.
    • Test the run belt. Maybe run with it empty during the week, forcing you to find it / dial it in before the longer run on the weekend? The first time is always the worst (finding, adjusting, etc).

I mentioned that Sheila concoction vs just Carbo Pro. It's called High Branch Chain Cyclic Dextrin, also called cluster dextrin. It’s the carb used in First Endurance products. You can buy it in bulk and mix with electrolyte drink. It has a high molecular weight so the osmotic load or pressure is low. It gets into the small intestine very nicely. No insulin spikes. Steady blood sugar. You can buy it online here: https://www.nutrabio.com/product/SCARB30/ Let me know what you decide!

Here is your picture on the bike. You are comfortable and relaxed, which is half the battle. Very pleased to see that. The next step is to say what can we do that makes you faster. Since you already have race wheels, the next thing we can do is improve your front end in your head position. You mentioned that you have a more aerodynamic water bottle, which is a great start.

Turtling your head can also help. As you can see in the picture above your head is significantly higher than your shoulders. Anything we can do to get that down into the "shadow" of your body the better off you'll be. There's a signature to your Wind profile, and right now your head is really disrupting it by leaving that open space by your straws.

Ideally your straws can tuck away, so that you can put your head down when it's safe to get more aero.

Also, I would want you to revisit your gear on another day. I know it was miserable when you started, but in a situation like this I would vastly prefer that you rode in a snug vest with arm warmers on to make you a little more arrow and yet keep you warm.

For us, moving forward @matt limbert And I will make sure to have the "long long" rides in miles so you know what we are looking for from you!

Have a great weekend!

~ Coach P

• Options

I am alive...I know I've been MIA. I am still "training" for IMFlorida with hopes and dreams that the race will still happen.

I started adding Carb Pro to my bottles on the bike and it has helped a lot. I am also watching the clock and eating every 30 minutes. My runs are doing so much better and getting even faster without much effort. We are back at the gym 2x a week on the stair machine and that helps so much. I am actually looking into buying one for the house but don't want to end up with something cheap that will breakdown quickly. I've cut back a lot on the running, just being lazy I guess but I do crush it when I go out. My leg has FINALLY healed. I changed shoes to Altra. It forces me to mid foot strike since there is no heal padding and I'm scared to hit my heal on the grown and feel it through my back. I do like the bigger toe box also. This whole time I was trying to find a shoe with more padding and I should have been going the other way.

Haven't been swimming, have absolutely NO excuse why. I live on the lake, can OWS absolutely anytime I want..lazy yet again.

Having such a hard time with motivation, even though Florida is my dream race...I do however; LOVE to long ride on Saturdays with my small group. I had a goal of maintaining 18 mpg on the route we ride and have now crushed that a couple of times.

We talked about pictures. Here is how I tape my back. With my core as strong as it is right now, riding gives me ZERO back pain. My neck hasn't given out on me lately so that is good. Relaxing, being strong and new form is helping running...

I just tape up the muscles on each side of my back to give it a little bit more support.

Thanks a bunch and stay healthy!!

• Options

@Nicole Cervantes Great to hear from you. I love everything about this update. 👊 I love that you found that Carb Pro (me too! Game changer!), and shoe that works for you, that you are crushing it when run because you are killing it on the stair machine, your core is strong, back doesn't hurt, you have a fun group to ride with, and hit your goal of 18mph several times. Winning!!!! 💥

I also really like that you are honest with yourself about your swimming. It will come around. Maybe, roll it in once a week. Make the barrier to get started low - find all your stuff one day, win! Put it all in one place, win! Set a goal to just get in the water and swim! The collect all your stuff and do that same thing again. When I get into that same spot, I try to make the barrier to get started as low as possible and then maintain momentum.

Makes my day. 😎