Home New Member [First Month]
Options

Mike Peterson [TeamEN]

Here's your personal Coach Thread, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is here to guide you through your first year on EN, so you can always come back here.

As you'll see in this forum, I handle all manner of edits and changes. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Your Races

• IM70.3 Washington 09/20/20
  • Ironman Arizona (2020-11-22) #IMAZ_20   

Your Notes

Ironman Canada 2019 12:43 

Ironman 70.3 Victoria 2018 5:42Current fitness: Ok, I guess, for a 47 year old? Train about 8 hours a week, been using TriDot for anout 2 years but feel like I'm spinning my wheels. I don't appear to be progressing, but not sure what I should expect? Maybe I should be happy with just maintaining? TriDot workouts seem really hard but I can't quite seem to figure out how to improve my FTP or my 5k (both of those are regularly assessed on TriDot).

Right now, I am at about 8-9 hours a week. In the build up to IMCA I managed to hit 10-12 hours (maybe one week at 13).

No swimming since early March. 

I also do flatwater sprint canoe/kayak racing and play ice hockey during the fall/winter.

Season Outline

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won't complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on Final Surge by clicking on Training Plans / My Plans. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

>> Last updated by Coach on June 30, 2020

• On 6/29/2020 Load the    Bike Focus Block, 2019 (6wks) to end on 8/9/2020    [ 5 weeks ]
  • Transition Early
  • On 8/3/2020  Load the    EN Full Prep Plan, 4wks to end on 8/30/2020   [ 4 weeks ]
  • On 8/31/2020 Load the    EN Full Bike Focused, 12wks to end on 11/22/2020   [ 12 weeks ]
  • On 11/23/2020 Load the    Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 12/20/2020   [ 4 weeks ]
  • On 12/21/2020 Load the    Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/17/2021   [ 4 weeks ]
  • On 1/18/2021 Load the    Run Durability for Triathletes 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 2/14/2021   [ 4 weeks ]

Training Plan Support in Your First Month

You can connect with @matt limbert as needed in your first month to get dialed in with your training plans and data. You can set up a call with him online here: https://calendly.com/new-member-phone-call/1 and he'll be on this thread shortly!

Your Homework

Tell Me Your Season Goals

• What will make you consider this season a success?
  • What's your biggest limiter right now?

** The Athlete Roadmap Videos & Start Learning **

Join Coach Patrick for a walkthrough of the Endurance Nation Athlete experience to learn more about how our system works to help you achieve your personal best. You'll want to watch the Phase One Structure videos -- there are four -- to get completely up to speed!

Every month we hold live events as part of our commitment to make you just as smart as you are fit. Feel free to visit our Coach Lesson page and our Office Hours page to find the next opportunity to connect with Coach Patrick and your Teammates.

Contact Points

As part of your journey to becoming a Self Coached Triathlete inside TeamEN, we are prepared to give you excellent support for your first 90 days. Our goal is to transition you from live, in-person support to using our digital resources and the Team to help you continue your progress as you execute your Three Year Plan.

These are all the key points in your first year where we must talk. Please remember to include your phone number.

• Welcome Call in Week One (set it up here)
  • Training Plan Call in Week Two to talk about your season (set it up here)
  • End of Trial Call -- We review your experience & Unlock Year One / Race Execution for you (set it up here)
  • End of Season Call -- We review your year & Strategize for your End of Year Gap and Year Two (TBD in this Coach Thread)

Questions

• Coach Questions - Right here in this thread. Always reply to this same thread, it keeps a record for us as we evolve together!
  • General Questions - Simple stuff can go to the General Discussion Forum for the Team to answer. For example, Best Bike? How to improve run cadence? How to flip turn?
  • Need Help? - Please check the EN Help Site first!
  • Admin Questions - Billing or orders or whatnot? Use the red chat button at the bottom of the Members Site (not forums) or email us here.
  • Specific Questions about a Race or Power, etc? - You can post those into the General Discussion Forum and set the title or tags for that topic. Race questions to the Racing Forum, etc. Not sure where to post? Put it in the General Discussion forum and we will sort it out. Whatever you do, PLEASE ask your questions!!

For short or last minute questions, we recommend you use the Red Chat Icon on the main Members website.

We have also organized a complete chart of the best ways to contact us online here.

Your First Month on the Team

You have quite a few things to do when you start up. There are instructions on the top of the website, but you can review them under Resources / Trial Member Welcome.

Your First Year Inside Endurance Nation

This will be unlocked after your trial expires.

Looking forward to working with you this year,

~ Coach P

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

Cool, thanks. Looks good. Loaded up my calendar in Final Surge with "[Specificity] Bike Focus Plan, All Abilities (6wks)" with an end date of 8/9/20.

I'm sure I will eventually figure this out by poking around but I'm having trouble locating the corresponding ZWO files. There is a link to box.com labeled "OS TRIBike Focused Workouts for Zwift done (download here)." But when I go to the L2 folder how do I know which workout is which? They are labeled by week and day, not with the name of the work out (e.g. "Bike VO2 short" coming up this Thursday).

Thanks

Mike

• Options

@Michael Peterson I am going to get our training plan coordinator @matt limbert to help you out with your questions above.

• Options

Mike, Super cool have you with us. I heard you were referred by Dave Glenn too. 😀 We see that you have already connected your Garmin devices to Final Surge. Nice work. You are already crushing it. 👊

RE: Downloading workouts. The workouts you downloaded were for the OutSeason. You are in the Bike Specificity plan for the next few weeks. We have not built the workouts in Zwift for Bike Specificity. You will start the IM Bike Focused plan on 31 Aug. All of those workouts are built. You can download them here. Scroll down to the Full IM plan - it's also a good idea to download levels 1,2, and 3. That will let you scale up and down. Easier day? Use a Level 1. Wanna crush it dial up level 3. See Note #9 below for the "How to..." details.

Our short term goals are:

• Get subscribed to Coach Thread (and dialogue via email)
    • Start using the Final Surge app (if you haven't already)
    • Establish consistency - find a repeatable workout pattern between (family, work, etc.)
    • Get connected to the our Team and GroupMe community
    • See the big picture and explore the site & forums

Let's get after it! 👊

If any questions you have getting started - schedule a call with me here.

Talk you you soon,

Matt

------------------

Things to do:

#1 Respond below

Post a comment below or give me an 😀, 👍️ or a short GTG. Let me know you are subscribed and will respond back via email. Let's get the conversation started!

#2 Subscribe to your Coach Thread.

Subscribe to your Coach Thread and get an email when we respond. Your Coach Thread is the best way to get a hold of us. It documents all of your training questions, its always here for your reference. 

Click on the star to the right. Turn it red.

#3 How to use your Coach Thread 

This is totally up to you. You can post a lot or very little. You post. We answer. We find it is helpful for you and us, if you post a weekly update once you get started. Pick a day. Any day that works for you. Many athletes pick Sunday to summarize the week. Others pick Friday to end the work week and get ready for the weekend. Choose something works for you. Comment on how you felt this week, what went well, and what you want to work on for next week. Its good accountability and helps you keep you on track for your goals. After a couple of posts, you can decide on what the level of interaction works best for you!

#4 Consider downloading the Final Surge App

We definitely want to see those hours, miles, watts and heart beats - but we also want to know how you felt, mood, energy level, how mentally/physically easy or hard the workout was for you. The workout isn’t over until you make some notes. And the app makes this way easier. 

Data + notes = complete story. Workout data is only only half the picture. Your comments provide the other half. You could be crushing all the workouts but feel terrible or feeling great. Work, family, sleep can all be factors in how you are training. So, how you felt is just as important as posting the workout. 

To make comments, select the activity and click on the "pencil" icon to tap "how I felt" or "perceived effort." Just a quick note goes a long way.

Download Final Surge | Mobile Apps Here

#5 Quick Start Guide

Here is the reference guide on how to read the workouts, abbreviations and lingo.

#6 Customize your workouts in Final Surge

You can wait on this one. But remember it is an option. You will eventually do bike and run test. We will use your average power (or heart rate) for a 20' time trial to set you customized workout zones. Once you customize them, the workouts will say 20' @ (135-145 heart rate) or 20' @(100- 110 Watts) vs. 20' @ Zone 2.  We can do the same thing for the run. Once you do a 5k race we can use your average pace or heart rate to establish run zones too!

Here is a video on how you update your training plan with integrated and customized zones. 

#7 Connect with the rest of the team in Join our GroupMe chat

Coach Patrick talked about connecting with the team. We use GroupME as a group chat app. Its a great place to learn, ask questions and connect for accountability with other Team members. Need to buy a new training gadget? What is the best xxxx? Want some advice about your race we? We have someone on the Team that as done it before and can help you race like a veteran. Ask in the group chat. Your new friends are waiting for you.

Download the GroupMe is an app and see what the Team is talking about. Pro tip: You can subscribe to these channels and mute the alerts. There is a lot of activity here and the alerts can get overwhelming. 😂

GroupMe

·        EN Live 24/7  [Join Here]

·        Run Group [Join Here]

·        Zwift Chat [Join Here]

·        Events  [Join Here]

·        Race Groups [Join Here]

#8 See the big picture and explore ways to get smarter

See the big picture. Join Coach Patrick for a walkthrough of the Endurance Nation Athlete experience to learn more about how our system works to help you achieve your personal best. Here is the link to the those videos on your season structure Coach Patrick was talking about in your welcome and season roadmap video. You'll want to watch the Phase One Structure videos -- there are four -- to get completely up to speed!

Coach Patrick has designed a Season Roadmap for you. The progression of workouts will get you fitter and prepare you physically to race but, getting smarter about training and race execution is what sets Endurance Nation apart from other programs. Here you have access to Coach Patrick (11x Kona qualifier), a library of his Coach Lessons, and the experience of hundreds of other athletes across all age groups - willing to share their advice and what has worked (or not) for them. We would love to have your experience and voice in those forums too.

Explore the Forums

All these topics are covered in our forums: Want to know the best equipment to buy? Where to stay for your race? How to triage you week of training when you have to travel for work? How to ride hills efficiently? How manage your power and heart rate on a hot day? You name it the Team can help you and make you a smarter athlete. There is free speed out there just by being smarter at how you play the game.

Search our Race Forum for race plans and race reports. Learn from the shared experience of the entire Team

Read the General Training Discussions and get training tips and execution advice from other TeamEN veterans.

Learn how to race like veteran. Dial in your race execution using EN race guidance

#9 Smart Trainer Integration

If you want to join us on Zwift here is how. We have big group of athletes that ride together and use a voice app to talk - just like like a big group ride. Logon on and join a group ride. Use the Group Me Zwift Chat to stay up to date on when we are riding. 

We have workouts already built for Zwift and Trainer Road for the OutSeason, HIM and IM plans. Scroll down. Find your plan - link to the pre-built workouts are on the right

If you have a smart trainer and a Zwift or Trainer Road account, download the workouts for Zwift to your computer or login to Trainer Road library.

For Zwift: Unzip the workouts into Documents -> Zwift -> Workouts -> "rider number" folder on the device you use to stream Zwift. My "rider number" is 126713. It will be the only numbered folder under workouts.

For Trainer Road: Use this like to request access to the EN workout library. Request access by sending a message "Request Invite to Trainer Road" to ppisaj2s@inbound.intercom-mail.com 

My goal is to make your first month of Endurance Nation as simple and as awesome as possible! I want to help you get the most out of your workouts, Final Surge, learn more about race execution and how the team can help you get to your race goals.

#10 Whew. You made it.

You don't have to do it all a once but, we would love it if you responded below. I'm here talk you through all of the above. I would love to hear from you.

Matt

EN Training Plan Coordinator

• Options

Sorry, I hit reply to your email rather than replying directly on this thread.

Yes, info received. Tinkering with Zwift now.

Thanks!

• Options
    Awesome. I'm just stoked you set the email reply up!
  • Options

Sorry if this is addressed somewhere on the site or the forums

Trying to figure out how to use zwift. How much is it advisable to swap the EN prescribed structured workouts for races or groups rides (EN and others) in Zwift?

There seems to be a constant stream of interesting things happening on Zwift at any one time.

• Options

Oh, and by the way, almost forgot to reply to these questions:

Tell Me Your Season Goals

• What will make you consider this season a success?
    • What's your biggest limiter right now?

Season goals:

IF IMAZ HAPPENS (and I decide to go):

A: Break 12 hours

B: Finish without feeling like I failed on the run (like IMCA in 2019).

C: Just FINISH

IF IMAZ DOESN'T HAPPEN:

I honestly have no idea. Sorry, I guess I should come up with something better but there's so much uncertainty. Possibly train for the local half marathon that happens on 12/31?

My biggest limiter:

I feel like I've come up on some sort of plateau or barrier in my training. I started tri about 6 years ago. In the past 3 years, I've repeated several races and gotten almost the exact same times, down to a minute or two difference. In the past six months I've been training hard primarily at Z4 intervals biking and running (with TriDot) and I haven't been able to get any sort of improvement in FTP or 5k time. I spend all this time training and never get any faster. It sucks. I decided last fall that if I can't go faster maybe I will go further, so I ran a 50k trail which was fun. I am wondering if the natural aging process is exactly countering any gains I make by training.

• Options

@Michael Peterson

https://endurancenation.wistia.com/medias/bl9laz9l18

Welcome to your SECOND MONTH  inside Endurance Nation! 

Our goal is to check in with you, determine the best way to help you continue your journey, and share your progress with the Team!

First off,  watch Coach Patrick’s Month Two video

Step One: Quick Update

Please use this form to update us on how things are going: https://forms.gle/k9p2o3ZYyhGo9U2N6 We will follow up with guidance and advice here in this thread. 

Step Two: Book Your Coach Check In Call

As part of TeamEN, you and Coach Patrick will talk one-on-one roughly 4x per year. Let’s connect soon and keep you rolling. Book your check in call with Coach Patrick online here: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min 

Step Three: Pick Your Learning Focus

We have several courses and resources for you based on your interest. You can browse the Courses here or review the Coach Lesson archive here. Don’t forget to check in on the Official EN Athlete Roadmap to see how you are progressing. 

Need help picking a focus area? Ask us right here in this forum thread (be sure to @CoachP!!), via the red chat icon on the Members Site or by going to Help / Email Support.

Step Four: Your Friends are Waiting

We have several GroupMe channels where we want to hear about your training or you can get a quick answer to your latest race or gear question.  Get motivation and team awesomeness via EN Live on Facebook or if you’d rather chat, then find your home on the most relevant Team EN GroupMe chat channel

Looking forward to your next step!

~ Brenda

• Options

@Michael Peterson I thought this would be a good time to check in with you after a month. With so much uncertainty with the upcoming races, the best thing you can do now is stay consistent and use this time to dial in a workout pattern that is fun, challenging, and continues to build your overall durability and fitness. You are crushing the intervals during the week and getting the longer run in on the weekend. Maybe we need to alternate weekends with a long bike and long run ? What do you think? How are things going?

• Options

Thanks @matt limbert

I keep getting distracted by Zwift. For instance, I COULD have done the prescribed ABP ride on Sunday, but...why not do the metric century KISS race on Zwift? It sucked, BTW. I came in third from last, overall, not even in what I THOUGHT was my FTP group (B). I just barely managed to finish before two C group riders, in about 3.5 hours. And now I need to take a day or two off. I was messed up all day yesterday after the race, mentally foggy. I think I lost some spouse approval units. lol.

During the week, I frequently sub in Zwift workout/events (eg Lactate shuttle or Escalation) instead of the EN prescribed workout. Bad idea? The Zwift workouts are a little more complex and interesting. And, for some reason, it's more interesting to do it in a big pack even if it's sort of weird to have my avatar rider in the middle of a big blob of riders.

• Options

@Michael Peterson I got your Check-In update, and have pasted it below. This is part of our monthly process to stay connected, so thanks for filling it out!

It really helps us stay connected to your progress, so let's keep doing it. Excited to hear about your kayak stroke, and definitely want to see some videos or pictures of you here of you on the kayak. Or if you don't mind, showing them to our team Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ENLIVE/ Very cool!

Terms of Zwift, you are right. Most of the time people are pretty focused on replacing specific workouts. The 2020 season is a little more unique, so people are just racing to stay fit and have fun. Replacing workouts with Zwift rides is totally fine, the key is that not all Zwift rides happen as advertised - as you discovered with that KISS Ride...lol. Super glad you took some time off to recover!!!

KISS Rides are races, unless you in in Kiss At Base (KAB) rides, which are steadier (and more of what you were likely looking for).

Swapping in Races for workouts is fine. I encourage you to take a look at the "total worth" of each race and then try and nap after the work out. Presentable, if your workout has 30 minutes of threshold work, did you wanna race that will take approximately 30 minutes, or 20 to 25 km (sorry, I ride metric in game). I agree the group experience is 10x more fun!

Ps thanks for offering to her for a friend. Just a friendly reminder that if you do send someone to the team they get a free month membership and you get a free month upgrade to the next level of coaching!

++++++++++++++++

Rate Your Fitnesss (Scale of 1 to 3):

Your Swim: 2

Your Bike: 2

Your Run: 2

Body Composition: 2

Additional Info:

Biggest Improvement So Far? I've been riding more this past month. Also, my kayaking has gotten WAY better, but that is unrelated to EN. Ha. Kayak coaches have been working with me on improving my paddle stroke.

How Else Can We Help You? Like I wrote in my forum, I keep getting "distracted" by Zwift. Should I be subbing in Zwift stuff for the EN prescribed workouts? I watch the groupme Zwift group-I don't see a lot of people saying "oh, wait, I can't do that Zwift ride, I need to do the bike VO2 max short 2 that Coach P prescribed."

Would You Recommend Endurance Nation to a Friend? Yes

• Options

LOL, I just noticed that "zone 2" at Endurance Nation has an entirely different meaning than "zone 2" in other training plans. Oops. Zone 2 has previously meant my long steady conversational pace, around 9-9:15 min/mile and 130 bpm. I guess the EN zone 2 is (for me) around 8 min/mile. I've been doing a lot of my runs way too easy.

• Options

@Michael Peterson I think we need to talk more about your run pacing. Here is our general guidance:

• Options

@matt limbert Thanks.

Today, for instance, I was supposed to do a pre-bike run of 20 minutes at "zone 2." Per Final Surge, zone 2 for me is supposed to be 8:00-8:10 per mile, roughly. That is a moderately fast pace for me. In previous training plans/systems, "zone 2" was more equivalent to what EN calls "TRP" which is for me about 9 min/mile-my "go all day" easy (but not too easy) pace.

• Options

@Michael Peterson How is the running feeling? Are you dialing the easy and TRP pacing?

• Options

@matt limbert I still wonder if there is some "pace translation" problem. Previously, most training plans had me doing 80% of my runs at an "easy" conversational pace, usually ~9 min/mile and 130 bpm. The paces for the EN IM prep plan seem much much faster. For instance, today I was supposed to do a 20-25 minute brick run, starting at 8:01-8:11 (called zone 2), then speeding up to faster to around 7:45 min/mile for the second half. It was really tough to do after a hard bike workout.

In other news, we were at a friend's lake house on Sunday so I brought my wetsuit and did a ~1 mile 30 minute OWS. I haven't done any swimming in months. Surprisingly, I felt totally fine at a pace of about 1:47 min/mile and was barely tired at the end. I could have easily kept going.

I think my time for a 2.4 mile swim would have been around 1:20. It makes me wonder why I spend all this time doing swim workouts for minimal gains.

• Options

@Michael Peterson Yeah, we need to dial-in your run "pace translation." We don't need you running that hard after the bike🤣 and your easy runs should still be easy.

• Options

@Michael Peterson That is awesome that you got a chance to swim AND that it went so well. Maybe you are a more of a natural swimmer than you thought! There is alot of technique to swimming, the wetsuit sure helps and it is also a good way to build or maintain fitness without the time cost of biking or the additional load bearing stress of running. Great to hear that it went well.

• Options

@Michael Peterson

https://endurancenation.wistia.com/medias/nfahr9cl1b

Welcome to your THIRD MONTH  inside Endurance Nation! 

Our goal this month is to help you be race ready for your next big event and make sure your connected with your teammates!

First OFF, be sure to check out Coach Patrick’s video online here

Step One: Quick Update Form

Please use this form to update us on how things are going: https://forms.gle/2BAufR2WyTUjkHvE7 We will follow up with guidance and advice via email so you can stay on track. 

Step Two: Research Your Race

Leverage your teammates to make sure your race is the best it can be.

• First, head over to the EN Forums and use the search functionality to see if there are race reports or other information in our system. 
    • Second, ask the Team what they know by creating a research thread in the Races & Places Forum or by posting to the GroupMe 24/7 channel.
    • When you are ready, go ahead and post your Race Plan to the Racing Forums as well 

Step Three: Connect with Fellow Racers

• Depending on the size of your race, you might have a GroupMe channel that you can find under the Community section here.
    • If there isn’t one, you can still head over to the Race Database and use the password WORKWORKS. From there you type the race name into the search box To get someone’s name. Return to the EN Forums and send them a private message!

** Additional Support **

In addition to The Forums and other Team-related support, you still have the chance to connect with Coach Patrick across your first year -- check the Athlete Roadmap. Right now it’s time for your three month call with Coach Patrick; and you can book it here.

If you are looking for support above and beyond the traditional Endurance Nation experience, you can book a consult with Coach Patrick. These are billed at $100/hour and Can be on almost any training or racing topic. Please click here to learn more / get started. 

Congratulations on moving forward with you training as you build to your race goals. We can’t wait to see what you are capable of this season!

~ Team EN

• Options

@Michael Peterson I got your Check-In update, and have pasted it below. This is part of our monthly process to stay connected, so thanks for filling it out!

I am not surprised by your Zwift escapades... Many athletes fine and they can do more work "in game" that they can with an actual test. If possible I recommend that you test in an event itself. For example, I have used the long climbs in Innsbruck (Lutscher), Watopia (Alp), and France (Ventop) for testing. I basically settle in...then "race" that climb portion as my test and chase folks. Just a thought.

As for the swimming...yep. Just one swim a week could be "enough" for you. Especially if your bike pacing and nutrition are on point. I say that as a long swim that you aren't "normally fit" for will be more costly for you...but totally manageable.

Let's keep rolling!

~ Coach P

• Rate Your Fitness (Scale of 1 to 3):
    • Your Swim: 3
    • Your Bike: 3
    • Your Run: 2
    • Body Composition: 3

Biggest Improvement So Far? During a CnC with other TeamEN folks, my watch said I (accidentally) set a new FTP at 281 (prior 277). I tried to officially set a new FTP a couple of days later and couldn't quite hit that mark. In other news, I went on an OWS. Despite being the firs swim in ~6 months, I felt fine. Went just shy of a mile in 30 minutes, could have gone further. Makes me wonder why I train swim at all.

• Options

Hey, I can log into the forums! The forums appeared to be busted but maybe I was using the wrong link?

ANYWAY, I need some coaching advice or re-planning.

I deferred IMAZ. I am now planning on doing a half-marathon at the end of December. Bad idea? I have read some anti-winter marathon stuff on the EN site. Are half-marathons okay?

I was just guessing on plans, but I added the balanced HM plan to my Final Surge account. I picked the "balanced" one b/c I would like to keep biking in the off season. And doing Zwift stuff like CnC and Friday Freight Train are fun.

Would you (@Coach Patrick or @matt limbert ) recommend I do the Run Durability program instead? And do you think the winter HM is a bad idea? FWIW, I have not had any injuries for about 2 years, despite moderately hard training. Last injury of note was a popped calf muscle (tennis leg), a little over two years ago. Although I do get the usual routine aches associated with training in my late 40's.

Thanks

• Options

@Michael Peterson Half-Marathon yes! No problem. A marathon is a different story - because the recovery post-race punches a bigger hole in training schedule. It just takes much longer to get back to quality training after the marathon. With the half-marathon, you get all the quality running, and race, without the post-race recovery penalty.

The Balance Half-Marathon plan is a good choice for your goal (race half-marathon + ride Zwift, CnC, FFT).

That plan will keep enough bike fitness to start the OutSeason in Jan and continue with your run durability!