Homeβ€Ί General Training Discussions
Options

Virtual Marine Corps Marathon

So, since I had to pull my team out of the Blue Ridge Relay due to rising COVID cases, I succumbed to team peer pressure and signed up for the virtual marine corps marathon, now I have to train for it in the heat! I have never run a full marathon except at the end of a full IM so it should be interesting. Since I have been concentrating on the bike during the COVID, my overall fitness is pretty solid but run fitness is somewhat lacking. I loaded the balanced Marathon plan so I can still bike and I plan to hack the plan with short runs every day. Other suggestions from the group?

Comments

• Options

I also signed to run the MCM after promising myself I would never train for or run a stand alone marathon again. So I plan to continue to train in with a very balanced approach, biking and swimming as usual to maintain and build fitness and then turn the focus to the longer run as the date for this run gets closer. I am keeping in mind that I am not running this to set a marathon PR (or even close) but rather to have a fun on event on my calendar to keep me honest and to enjoy the motivation from others such as yourself. Keep us posted as to how the training is progressing!

• Options

Good luck Ralph and Sid on your virtual MCM. My wife Melinda and I ran it last year in honor of our son SGT Cody R Legg, KIA 2008. That race kicked my backside with the bad weather we had so I wish you both great training, solid interest in a tough time to train and great weather to accomplish your goal.