Homeโ€บ Races & Places ๐Ÿโ›บ
Options

Tell me about 70.3 Memphis

Hey team. I was signed up for 70.3 Santa Rosa this past May. It got delayed to October, and it's now been officially permanently discontinued. Ironman has offered deferrals to a number of other 70.3's in 2021. One that catches my eye is Memphis. Has anyone done that race?

Thanks,

John

Comments

• Options

OK, I've since learned that 2020 was going to be the inaugural year for this race, and it's now been postponed to 2021, so I'm going to go out on a limb and say that nobody has done this race. ๐Ÿ˜€

• Options

I was signed up, but yes it has been put off till 2021. I deferred till then. I'm about 2.5 hours away in Little Rock so there are a LOT of locals going to TN for this race.

I have not seen this course, but would suspect its pretty flat. Most of the land is Mississippi Delta, so depending on where they routed the course it could roll, but also could be flat farmland. October usually starts our cool down with humidity not being quite as brutal. However, like Chattanooga, Memphis could take a turn for the very hot...thats the usual weather we get in the south that time of year.

As for a destination, Memphis is known for the blues (Beale Street), and Elvis. But the real blues history is out in the delta towns in MS, TN and AR. A little further south are some epic Civil War battlegrounds (Vicksburg) and the only town in the south where the Union did not burn down all the beautiful antebellum homes in Natchez, MS (stunning homes and lots of them).

• Options

Thank you very much @PatKoss ! That's very helpful. I'm generally good in heat, but not so much in high humidity, so I'll keep my fingers crossed. I went ahead and deferred my 70.3 SR registration to 70.3 Memphis, so if the race actually happens I look forward to meeting you.

-John