Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Joan Hogan Official Coach Thread

Here's your personal Coach Thread, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is here to guide you through your first year on EN, so you can always come back here.

As you'll see in this forum, I handle all manner of edits and changes. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Your Races

• Half ironman August 29, 2021 in Maine. Hopefully a few smaller ones before that.

Your Notes

Not being injured. I am 66 years old. I am trying to keep injury free. I cannot run due to a tendonitis in one foot. But I hope to start back soon.

Tell Us Your Background / Racing History:

Have done over 50 triathlons. 15 Half Ironmans.

What is Your Focus Level for this Season?

Maintain My Trajectory

Give Us One Sentence That Defines Your Successful Season:

Not being injured. I am 66 years old. I am trying to keep injury free. I cannot run due to a tendonitis in one foot. But I hope to start back soon.

What is Your Biggest Limiter to Success?

Some knee and foot problems with running. I am working with a PT. I can walk long distances.

Anything Else We Should Know?

Want to stay in good shape. Improve on my biking. I use Zwift a lot where I live.

Season Outline

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won't complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on Final Surge by clicking on Training Plans / My Plans. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

>> Last updated by Coach on 09/24/2020

On 9/21/2020  Load the  -- Durability Balanced Plan 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks  to end on  10/18/2020  [  4    ]  weeks    ]

On 10/19/2020 Load the  -- Durability Balanced Plan 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks  to end on  11/15/2020  [  4    ]  weeks    ]

On 11/16/2020 Load the  -- Durability Balanced Plan 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks  to end on  12/13/2020  [  4    ]  weeks    ]

On 12/14/2020 Load the  -- Durability Balanced Plan 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks  to end on  01/10/2021  [  4    ]  weeks    ]

On 1/4/2021  Load the    OutSeason for Cyclists Plan, 14wks to end on  4/11/2021   [  14   ]  weeks    ]

On 4/12/2021  Load the    Swim Camp  to end on  4/25/2021   [  2    ]  weeks    ]

On 4/26/2021  Load the  -- Bike Focus Block, 2019 (6wks)  to end on  6/6/2021   [  6    ]  weeks    ]

On 6/7/2021  Load the  -- EN Half Bike Focused, 12wks to end on  8/29/2021   [  12   ]  weeks    ]

On 8/30/2021  Load the  -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks)  to end on  9/12/2021   [  2    ]  weeks    ]

Training Plan Support in Your First Month

You can connect with @matt limbert as needed in your first month to get dialed in with your training plans and data. You can set up a call with him online here: https://calendly.com/new-member-phone-call/1 and he'll be on this thread shortly!

Your Homework

Tell Me Your Season Goals

•  What will make you consider this season a success?

•  What's your biggest limiter right now?

** The Athlete Roadmap Videos & Start Learning **

Join Coach Patrick for a walkthrough of the Endurance Nation Athlete experience to learn more about how our system works to help you achieve your personal best. You'll want to watch the Phase One Structure videos -- there are four -- to get completely up to speed!

Every month we hold live events as part of our commitment to make you just as smart as you are fit. Feel free to visit our Coach Lesson page and our Office Hours page to find the next opportunity to connect with Coach Patrick and your Teammates.

Contact Points

As part of your journey to becoming a Self Coached Triathlete inside TeamEN, we are prepared to give you excellent support for your first 90 days. Our goal is to transition you from live, in-person support to using our digital resources and the Team to help you continue your progress as you execute your Three Year Plan.

These are all the key points in your first year where we must talk. Please remember to include your phone number.

•  Welcome Call in Week One (set it up here)

•  Training Plan Call in Week Two to talk about your season (set it up here)

•  End of Trial Call -- We review your experience & Unlock Year One / Race Execution for you (set it up here)

•  End of Season Call -- We review your year & Strategize for your End of Year Gap and Year Two (TBD in this Coach Thread)

Questions

•  Coach Questions - Right here in this thread. Always reply to this same thread, it keeps a record for us as we evolve together!

•  General Questions - Simple stuff can go to the General Discussion Forum for the Team to answer. For example, Best Bike? How to improve run cadence? How to flip turn?

•  Need Help? - Please check the EN Help Site first!

•  Admin Questions - Billing or orders or whatnot? Use the red chat button at the bottom of the Members Site (not forums) or email us here.

•  Specific Questions about a Race or Power, etc? - You can post those into the General Discussion Forum and set the title or tags for that topic. Race questions to the Racing Forum, etc. Not sure where to post? Put it in the General Discussion forum and we will sort it out. Whatever you do, PLEASE ask your questions!!

For short or last minute questions, we recommend you use the Red Chat Icon on the main Members website.

We have also organized a complete chart of the best ways to contact us online here.

Your First Month on the Team

You have quite a few things to do when you start up. There are instructions on the top of the website, but you can review them under Resources / Trial Member Welcome.

Your First Year Inside Endurance Nation

This will be unlocked after your trial expires.

Looking forward to working with you this year,

~ Coach P

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

Joan, Super cool have you with us. 😀 You training plans are all loaded into Final Surge.

If any questions you have getting started - schedule a call with me here.

Talk you you soon,

Matt

------------------

Things to do:

#1 Respond below

Post a comment below or give me an 😀, 👍️ or a short GTG. Let me know you are subscribed and will respond back via email. Let's get the conversation started!

#2 Setup up Email notifications

This is the best way to get a hold of us!

Click on the star. It will turn red! Boom you are all set!  

I have couple more things for you. Let me know when you are all set here and I have a few more things to show you.

Matt

• Options

@Joan Hogan - Welcome!!! Coach Patrick just checking in as well...let's do this!

~ Coach P

• Options

Hi Patrick: Thank you for checking in. So I will begin looking this. Thanks, Joan

• Options

I will add I do like to swim one day per week. I know in one of your emails your mentioned about an optional swim workout. I am not sure how to get to that or we can talk about it on Wednesday. Right now I am a little off on swimming because the water is getting super cold and I think 64 degrees might be my limit in our lake. But starting October 8th I will be scheduling a swim at our local pool.

• Options

@Joan Hogan Thanks for the note and scheduling a call. Once a week swimming will be easy to fit in. You can pick the day that works best for you and we can adjust that day's other workouts as needed. I'm a year round swimmer too - this is the first year I will have to find my open water temperature cutoff. I'm typically a pool swimmer! This year I have really improved my open water - because that was the only option. Talk to you soon.

• Options
    Great! Yeah we live on a lake now so we take hot shower and sauna before
    our swim and a hot tub after. So far we’re able to tolerate 64 degrees but
    my cut off is coming and our gym just opened the pool so once a week
    probably Wednesday starting next week. .....

On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 6:07 PM matt limbert <
    teamenforums+d26744-s6029573@gmail.com> wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > [image: Endurance Nation Community]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > ------------------------------
    >
    >
    > matt limbert mentioned you in Joan Hogan Official Coach Thread
    >
    > @Joan Hogan Thanks for the note and scheduling a call. Once a week
    > swimming will be easy to fit in. You can pick the day that works best for
    > you and we can adjust that day's other workouts as needed. I'm a year round
    > swimmer too - this is the first year I will have to find my open water
    > temperature cutoff. I'm typically a pool swimmer! This year I have really
    > improved my open water - because that was the only option. Talk to you soon.
    >
    > --
    > Reply to this email directly or follow the link below to check it out:
    >
    > https://endurancenation.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/comment/286829#Comment_286829
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Check it out
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    Joan B. Hogan, RD, CSR, CD, CLT
    Food 4 Life
    Phone: 253-284-4488
    Fax: 253-272-4771
    www.food4lifecounseling.com
    Specializing in Migraine, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, Kidney
    Disease, Parkinson's Disease and other pain disorders related to food
    and food chemical sensitivity
    Author of The Vegetarian Diet for Kidney Disease Treatment
  • Options

@matt limbert please see Joans comments above.

• Options

@matt limbert @Joan Hogan so jealous of you swimmers. I don't even know where my goggles are at this point‼️ #shameonme #badcoach

• Options

@Joan Hogan Just checking in on you! I see you are making good comments on your workouts which is great. Taking it easy with running is fine. It looks like you are starting to find a good rhythm in your workout pattern. Moving the workouts around is great. We like to see you alternate run and bike days. How are things going?

• Options
    Hi Matt: I had to access you this way since the link connection does not seem to be working. Yes this all looks great. I sent a few comments to Patrick. So not sure if you saw them. I receive emails from both of you, and sometimes Brenda, so not sure who I should be directing them. I just can’t wait until I can get back up to speed in running. Joan
  • Options
    Also I asked Coach Patrick this question. What do you think about doing FTP testing. Should I be doing it weekly?
  • Options

@Joan Hogan - hey it's Coach Patrick! I see these messages here as well, although I checked just once a week. Sorry if I missed your other messages, my guess is that I will discover them this morning as I review everything on my desktop. No, you should NOT be testing weekly.

Sometimes, depending on the plans that we have selected for you, there will be multiple testing opportunities. But you really only need to test once every eight weeks or so. And even then, there may be no data to support you needing to test again. In other words, there might not be any improve strength or reason for you to believe that you should test. In those cases we might even skip a test.

Testing becomes more important as we get closer to transitioning between plans - say moving from my winter training program which is indoors to our general prep training which is outdoors - and heading into the Race Preparation phase. We always want to make sure that we are training towards the best and most accurate number.

I know you really want to get back to the running,. I will say that things look really good from a training standpoint. I can see how you are increasing time on your feet each week. I know that the walking in cross training doesn't really feel like running at all. But there's a direct line between those activities and will help you return to "normal" as soon as possible. Nice work 👍

~ Coach P

• Options
    This helps a lot! Thank you for the great advice.

On Mon, Oct 19, 2020 at 4:13 AM Coach Patrick <
    teamenforums+d26744-s6029573@gmail.com> wrote:

> [image: Endurance Nation Community]
    >
    > ------------------------------
    > Coach Patrick mentioned you in Joan Hogan Official Coach Thread
    >
    > @Joan Hogan - hey it's Coach Patrick! I see these messages here as well,
    > although I checked just once a week. Sorry if I missed your other messages,
    > my guess is that I will discover them this morning as I review everything
    > on my desktop. No, you should NOT be testing weekly.
    >
    > Sometimes, depending on the plans that we have selected for you, there
    > will be multiple testing opportunities. But you really only need to test
    > once every eight weeks or so. And even then, there may be no data to
    > support you needing to test again. In other words, there might not be any
    > improve strength or reason for you to believe that you should test. In
    > those cases we might even skip a test.
    >
    > Testing becomes more important as we get closer to transitioning between
    > plans - say moving from my winter training program which is indoors to our
    > general prep training which is outdoors - and heading into the Race
    > Preparation phase. We always want to make sure that we are training towards
    > the best and most accurate number.
    >
    > I know you really want to get back to the running,. I will say that things
    > look really good from a training standpoint. I can see how you are
    > increasing time on your feet each week. I know that the walking in cross
    > training doesn't really feel like running at all. But there's a direct line
    > between those activities and will help you return to "normal" as soon as
    > possible. Nice work 👍
    >
    > ~ Coach P
    >
    > --
    > Reply to this email directly or follow the link below to check it out:
    >
    > https://endurancenation.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/comment/287003#Comment_287003
    > Check it out
    >
    >
This discussion has been closed.