Homeโ€บ Community Forum ๐Ÿ 

Anyone practice martial arts?

In what has otherwise been a dumpster-fire of a year, 2020 has finally turned up one bright spot for me. My son and I finally achieved our black belts in Tae Kwon Do this past Saturday. I am so impressed with this kid. In eight years, he never once complained or wanted to skip a practice. He showed up every single day enthusiastically and ready to give it his all (can't necessarily say the same for myself ๐Ÿ˜‚). Two days after achieving his black belt, he's back at it, already working toward his second degree belt. The kid has no quit in him. As much as I'd love to continue on this journey with him, I'm calling it. TKD has been wonderful experience, but also the source of many injuries for me, so I'm calling it good here.

Anyone else practice martial arts of any form?

Tagged:

Comments

• Congratulations to you both and good on you for knowing when to bow out now. Going out on a high. No martial arts for me but I do snowshoe run and mountain bike. No injuries yet.

• Thanks @Brenda Ross

I was beginning to think I was the only one around here any more...

• @John Katsoudas congrats to you and your son.

I did Karate for 5 or so years prior to picking up triathlon at 30 when I moved cities and decided to change sports. That's almost 20 years ago now for me. I can see how the injuries might crop up from the sport and good on you for sticking with it to get the black belt.

It's several years ago now but there was one other individual doing a martial arts, black belt maybe 2nd degree test that they posted about. I'm sure there's others but don't recall off the top of my head.

• Congratulations! That's a huge achievement and even cooler doing it as father and son.

• @John Katsoudas thats awesome!

I practiced/competed in Ju Jitsu heavily before devoting that time to triathlon training. I've debated getting back into because I enjoy it, but I have a finite amount of time to dedicate to training, so one would have to suffer.