Home New Member [First Month]

Cassie Winter Official Coach Thread [PlanEN]

Here's your personal Coach Thread, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is here to guide you through your first year on EN, so you can always come back here.

As you'll see in this forum, I handle all manner of edits and changes. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Your Races

Your Top Event / Race for the Season is:

• Ironman Lake Placid [Triathlon 140.6 ] (July)

Your Notes

Tell Us Your Background / Racing History:

Syracuse 2010 6:43; Atlantic City 2017, 5:48 & 2018 6:04; Cassadagaman 2020 6:25)

4 fulls IMLP 2012 15:43, IMMT 2016 13:27; IMLP 2017 12:23; IMLP 2019 14:43 (bike accident 5 weeks prior to race)

What is Your Focus Level for this Season? Perform My Best at a Big Race

Give Us One Sentence That Defines Your Successful Season: Arrived at the starting line with a healthy, well trained body, ready to race my best effort for the conditions that day.

What is Your Biggest Limiter to Success? Run speed. Best stand a lone marathon was 10:14 pace in 2019. Trying to get IMLP marathon down closer to 9:30 pace. 2018 was plagued with hamstring injuries.

Anything Else We Should Know? In 2017, I started the journey towards qualifying for Kona and placed 7th in my age group. I am still pursuing that goal.

Season Outline

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won't complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on Final Surge by clicking on Training Plans / My Plans. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

>> Last updated by Coach on 10/27/2020

• On 10/26/2020 Load the  Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  11/22/2020 28 [  4  weeks  ]
  • On 11/23/2020 Load the  Durability for Triathletes 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  12/20/2020 28 [  4  weeks  ]
  • On 12/21/2020 Load the  Durability for Triathletes 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  1/17/2021  14 [  2  weeks  ]
  • **Transition Early**
  • On 1/4/2021  Load the  OutSeason for Triathletes (Bike Focus) Plan (14wks) to end on  4/11/2021  98 [  14 weeks  ]
  • On 4/12/2021  Load the  Swim Camp  to end on  4/25/2021  7  [  1  weeks  ]
  • **Transition Early**
  • On 4/19/2021  Load the  EN Full Prep Plan (4wks)  to end on  5/16/2021  14 [  2  weeks  ]
  • **Transition Early**
  • On 5/3/2021  Load the  EN Full Bike Focused (12wks)  to end on  7/25/2021  84 [  12 weeks  ]
  • On 7/26/2021  Load the  Post Ironman Transition Plan All Levels (4wks) to end on  8/22/2021  28 [  4  weeks  ]

Training Plan Support in Your First Month

You can connect with @matt limbert as needed in your first month to get dialed in with your training plans and data. You can set up a call with him online here: https://calendly.com/new-member-phone-call/1 and he'll be on this thread shortly!

Your Homework

Tell Me Your Season Goals

•  What will make you consider this season a success?

•  What's your biggest limiter right now?

** The Athlete Roadmap Videos & Start Learning **

Join Coach Patrick for a walkthrough of the Endurance Nation Athlete experience to learn more about how our system works to help you achieve your personal best. You'll want to watch the Phase One Structure videos -- there are four -- to get completely up to speed!

Every month we hold live events as part of our commitment to make you just as smart as you are fit. Feel free to visit our Coach Lesson page and our Office Hours page to find the next opportunity to connect with Coach Patrick and your Teammates.

Contact Points

As part of your journey to becoming a Self Coached Triathlete inside TeamEN, we are prepared to give you excellent support for your first 90 days. Our goal is to transition you from live, in-person support to using our digital resources and the Team to help you continue your progress as you execute your Three Year Plan.

These are all the key points in your first year where we must talk. Please remember to include your phone number.

•  Welcome Call in Week One (set it up here)

•  Training Plan Call in Week Two to talk about your season (set it up here)

•  End of Trial Call -- We review your experience & Unlock Year One / Race Execution for you (set it up here)

•  End of Season Call -- We review your year & Strategize for your End of Year Gap and Year Two (TBD in this Coach Thread)

Questions

•  Coach Questions - Right here in this thread. Always reply to this same thread, it keeps a record for us as we evolve together!

•  General Questions - Simple stuff can go to the General Discussion Forum for the Team to answer. For example, Best Bike? How to improve run cadence? How to flip turn?

•  Need Help? - Please check the EN Help Site first!

•  Admin Questions - Billing or orders or whatnot? Use the red chat button at the bottom of the Members Site (not forums) or email us here.

•  Specific Questions about a Race or Power, etc? - You can post those into the General Discussion Forum and set the title or tags for that topic. Race questions to the Racing Forum, etc. Not sure where to post? Put it in the General Discussion forum and we will sort it out. Whatever you do, PLEASE ask your questions!!

For short or last minute questions, we recommend you use the Red Chat Icon on the main Members website.

We have also organized a complete chart of the best ways to contact us online here.

Your First Month on the Team

You have quite a few things to do when you start up. There are instructions on the top of the website, but you can review them under Resources / Trial Member Welcome.

Your First Year Inside Endurance Nation

This will be unlocked after your trial expires.

Looking forward to working with you this year,

~ Coach P

Tagged:

Comments

• @matt limbert

Hi Matt,

I had my onboarding call with Brenda this morning and gained access to the forum. I realize now I probably should have touched base before modifying my plans in Final Surge. 

I had eye surgery Oct. 23rd and anticipate being able to resume running/swimming after my Nov. 4th follow-up appointment.

These are the adjustments that I made, does this make sense?

-         Run Durability Phase I – start week of Nov. 2, shortened to 3 weeks. I have a good base.

-         Added functional strength. I like to get in the gym in the fall/winter.

-         During OS, added a TRP run Saturdays of increasing duration 20 to 35 minutes to keep me at a minimum of 5 runs a week (running is my limiter).

-         The week of May 10th would have been week 4 of the Prep plan vs. week 2 of the final race prep phase. I kept the bike test and run test from the Prep phase in the first part of the week. Is the timing OK, or should I move testing sooner?

I’m assuming that even though running is my limiter, you selected the bike focused plans for outseason and final race prep phases because of 1) the investment we’re making in run durability through January and 2) to reduce the risk of injury given my history with hamstring injuries in 2018 and metatarsal stress fracture in 2019. Correct?

During the run durability phase 1, 2, 3, is it ok to add one more bike session during the week? If so, what type of ride is best to complement the work?

I think that’s all for now. 😊

Cassie

• @Cassie You are already killing it. I love that you were already modifying your season. You will fit right in around here! 🤣

Cassie Winters - Welcome Video — Watch Video

Yes. All of those modifications make sense. Here are my thoughts for you to consider:

-RE: Run Durability shift. 👍️Makes total sense based on the surgery. You did the right thing keeping the OutSeason anchored at the beginning of January too.

-Added Functional Strength:👍️ Sounds good. This is a good time to do that work.

-TRP Sundays: This one - I'm more like.....Let's wait and see. The rest component is critical during this OutSeason because the work on the bike is so hard. There are 3 key workouts Tues, Thurs, Sat. So the rest is important to keep the progression across the entire 14 weeks. Each year we have folks that add stuff to the OutSeason. It goes good for the the first 3-4 weeks, then the overall fatigue builds and the get sick or start to miss days or it impacts the quality of the bike workouts, and subsequently don't get as much out of that block. The OutSeason is all about doing lots of intensity on the bike, while running consistently, and plenty of rest. The rest is the like the magic part of the OutSeason. I would be careful about adding the additional run. Maybe, add the additional run AFTER week 6-8. Then we will have a better understanding of how you are handling the bike work.

-Bike Tests in week one of Race Prep. You don't need to keep those tests that week. You will do tests in week 4 of your Race Prep block. Unless you just like to test 🤣. But, since they are there we can keep them on the schedule and do the test either time and adjust based on how you are feeling when we get to May! How does that sound?

-Why we chose Bike focused. Yes to both your assumptions. Run durability now + reducing risk based on your injury history. Plus, you have the most to gain from fitness on the bike. Its the longest leg from a race time perspective so any gains we can make there are amplified in your overall result. Double plus, plus, we can build a lot of fitness on the bike at low injury risk, combine that with run durability through frequency and we are winning!

------------------new stuff ------------

Did Brenda get you set up with email alerts to this coaching thread. You need to click on the star so it turns red.

How to get Email Alerts for your Coach Updates

Click on that little guy and you will get emails! Easier than logging in.

Join our private group chat

We also have a group chat - with specific Run, Bike, Swim, groups. The rest of our Team is in there. It would be super cool to have you in there too. With your experience you could help other athletes or just stalk it and watch it for a while and see if it your thing. Coach Patrick and I are always in those groups. The groups only talk workouts, training, racing etc - no other noise and its only EN Team members. Here is your invite. Check it out!

How to use your Coaching Log

This is totally up to you. You can post a lot or very little. You post. We answer. We find it is helpful for you and us, if you post a weekly update once you get started. Pick a day. Any day that works for you. Many athletes pick Sunday to summarize the week. Others pick Friday to end the work week and get ready for the weekend. Choose something works for you. Comment on how you felt this week, what went well, and what you want to work on for next week. Its good accountability and helps you keep you on track for your goals. After a couple of posts, you can decide on what the level of interaction works best for you!

See the big picture and explore ways to get smarter

See the big picture. Join Coach Patrick for a walkthrough of the Endurance Nation Athlete experience to learn more about how our system works to help you achieve your personal best. You'll want to watch the Phase One Structure videos -- there are four -- to get completely up to speed!

Coach Patrick has designed a Season Roadmap for you. The progression of workouts will get you fitter and prepare you physically to race but, getting smarter about training and race execution is what sets Endurance Nation apart from other programs. Here you have access to Coach Patrick (11x Kona qualifier), a library of his Coach Lessons, and the experience of hundreds of other athletes across all age groups - willing to share their advice and what has worked (or not) for them. We would love to have your experience and voice in those forums too.

Explore the Forums

All these topics are covered in our forums: Want to know the best equipment to buy? Where to stay for your race? How to triage you week of training when you have to travel for work? How to ride hills efficiently? How manage your power and heart rate on a hot day? All these topics are covered in our forums! You name it the Team can help you and make you a smarter athlete. There is free speed out there just by being smarter at how you play the game.

Search our Race plans and reports. Learn from the shared experience of the entire Team

Get training tips, hacks and advice from Kona, Boston, Leadville MTB veterans

Dial in your race execution using EN race guidance

Smart Trainer Integration

If you want to join us on Zwift here is how. We have big group of athletes that ride together and use a voice app to talk - just like like a big group ride. Logon on and join a group ride. Use the Zwift Chat to stay up to date on when we are riding. 

We have workouts already built for Zwift and Trainer Road for the OutSeason, HIM and IM plans. Scroll down. Find your plan - link to the pre-built workouts are on the right

If you have a smart trainer and a Zwift or Trainer Road account, download the workouts for Zwift to your computer or login to Trainer Road library.

For Zwift: Unzip the workouts into Documents -> Zwift -> Workouts -> "rider number" folder on the device you use to stream Zwift. My "rider number" is 126713. It will be the only numbered folder under workouts.

How to Download Workouts for Zwift — Watch Video

For Trainer Road: Use this like to request access to the EN workout library. Request access by sending a message "Request Invite to Trainer Road" to ppisaj2s@inbound.intercom-mail.com 

Here is the video that explains the "Why are we doing this" for Run Durability and especially the OutSeason.

• @matt limbert,

I was able to unzip the structured Zwift workouts to my computer, but I didn't see a similar folder structure on my Android. Can they be saved to the phone, too?

Thanks for the input on the TRP run. I'll keep an eye on my Training Peaks fatigue/form as we get into the OS before adding the 5th run. If form dips below -30 early in the season, I know from experience that my risk of overuse injury later in the season increases significantly.

For the 2019 build to IMLP from January to race day, my average TSS was 869 per week, with a peak of 1518 for my June training camp.

But, of course 2020 was a different story. I trained for IMLP until they pulled the plug, but not with the same commitment/volume/intensity given the unlikelihood of the race happening. So, average TSS January to September this year was only 644. I only broke 1,000 once this year.

Thanks,

Cassie

• Cassie,
    RE: Zwift workout download for Android.
    You can't download directly to your phone. What you can do, is download
    Zwift to any computer. Set it up like you are going to ride. Then, download
    the workouts to the computer in that file. Login again on the computer like
    you intend to ride. This will force a sync between Zwift servers and your
    profile on the computer. Logout of the computer. Login with your phone. All
    the workouts should be there.

RE: Fatigue tracking. Another good tracking tool is the little smiley face
    and precieved exertion after the workout. You can set up a custom chart and