Home Racing Forum 🏎
Options

run pace guidance needed for LP

Need a little help figuring out what pace I should go for on the run at LP.  The reason why is from all the injuries from the crashes I've missed a lot of running workouts and espacially here in the last 3 weeks not much of any speed work at all just been managing to get in some MP stuff in any runs I do.

After the crash at the ToC I really was able to hold to my original paces pretty well, but with the second crash it has limited me to no running faster than MP so I can heal all up.  I have been getting alot better and did do my first speed workout yesterday with 2X1mile at TP in the workout.  Felt great and only slight soreness in the IT band today but nothing like before.

So as I heal up seems i will have the speed but without doing a lot of the workouts in the last 4 weeks do I back off a Vdot point or 2 for my run pace guidance?  My Vdot before the crashes was I think around 58 or so, that put my LRP at a 7:37.

Comments

• Options
    Any idea what your comfortable easy run pace is right now? In otherwords forgot vdot for a little bit. If you were just to go out and run and not target a pace, what pace do you think you could hold for 3.5 hours comfortably? If you didn't have a garmin on and just ran easy, what pace would you be at.

I would personally target that pace, starting out at 30 seconds slower for the first 6 miles. Worse case you start out too slow and they you have the last 6-8 miles to really crush your competion and count the road kill.
  • Options

Trent,

I'd go with what Matt said...  If you have only missed the last 3 weeks of running for speed work then you proabably have not lost too much speed.  Have you been able to get in the long runs at MP?  If not this may also affect you at mile 18-20, where you will feel it in the legs.

17:30 5k = 58 vdot

18:00 5k = 56 vdot - If you add 30 seconds to that LRP pace for the first 6 miles it's a start. 

Gordon

• Options

Trent - My observation is that run performance in the actual IM is probably limited more by your bike fitness going in and your bike execution during the race than it is by your run "speed" in the weeks before the race. Triathlon lore is littered with stories of people who through injury had limited running in the month before a race, and had surprisingly good runs. Same holds true for swimming. But I've never heard someone say, "I couldn't really ride very much in the month before the race, but my *overall* time didn't suffer." I've also seen A LOT of people who thought they had poor run fitness and/or a run injury issue, and hammered the bike in the race in an effort to compensate and blew up big time on the run: self- fulfilling prophecy

My observation of my own run performance is that as long as I've been doing 25-35 miles a week of running in weeks 6 >> 2 before the race, with just a couple of "long" (135-150 minute) runs during that time, then I'll be able to hit my pace, whether predicted by my conservative VDOT (based on HIM rather than 5K) or my most recent RR pace. 

If you feel you need to be conservative somewhere in the race due to injury or training limitations, I'd think aiming for a *slightly* easier bike pace, and losing 5 (or even 10) minutes there is the place to do it. Your legs may be more sore because of the perceived deficit in run training, but you may be surprised by how "fast" you go on the marathon.

Specific advice: if you have a successful RR run performance to go on, use that as your pacing target. 

• Options
    Trent, since you'll probably get off the bike about 20 minutes ahead of me, I'd say you should be targeting about 8:50's, so that I can catch you with 6 miles to go, and we can duke it out :-)
  • Options

AL, I always love your input and advice. It seems to always be right on point, very well thought out and certainly backed up by a lot of personal experience.

Trent, listen to Al !!

• Options
    I'm with Matt on this one. Probably because it's the plan I intend to use for myself. Coming back from injury I haven't don a vDot test (I'm frankly too scared of hurting myself again) and have been doing the workouts more on RPE. My plan is to add 30 seconds to my "all day long" pace- whatever that turns out to be about 2 weeks out from race day.

• Options
    Posted By Mike Graffeo on 13 Jul 2010 02:32 PM

Trent, since you'll probably get off the bike about 20 minutes ahead of me, I'd say you should be targeting about 8:50's, so that I can catch you with 6 miles to go, and we can duke it out :-)

And I'll hope to catch a glimpse of you on your second loop as I'm on my first.

Seriously though - looks like you got some great advice here.

• Options
    Thanks all for the great advise always received in here. Matt-- my EP has always been 7:30's to 7:40's even when injured so this tells me where to go with that maybe. and Al-- Good point and I've heard the same as far as having the bike fitness going in. I'm glad I've not missed much bike work and am not sitting at my best ever FTP and all around endurance fitness onn the bike since less running I've thrown in more bike. But I'll heed the caution not to smoke the bike too hard and have nothing for the run.

@Mike-- I'm ready brother--bring it on!!!!
  • Options
    Trent - great advice here from all. Your run workouts don't really matter pace wise in the last few weeks as long as you got the long ones in you'll be fine. What Al said re adjusting your bike goals so the marathon isn't a total sufferfest (other then what it needs to be!).

P
  • Options

Al's advice is dead on as usual.  Was it Lakerfan who could not run at all leading up to Penticon a couple years ago and ran himself into a Kona slot?  There are a ton of similar stories.  Put yourself in a position where you can make it happen and it will be up to you to bury yourself out on river road.  

• Options
    Posted By Chris G on 13 Jul 2010 09:26 PM

Al's advice is dead on as usual.  Was it Lakerfan who could not run at all leading up to Penticon a couple years ago and ran himself into a Kona slot?  There are a ton of similar stories.  Put yourself in a position where you can make it happen and it will be up to you to bury yourself out on river road.  

Yes, that is true. From mid/late-July up until race day (late August) I basically did almost no running at all due to an adductor injury. Keep in mind, I only managed to do one long run of 2 hrs and maybe 3 or 4 runs of 1.5hrs all year long as I had a very late start to my training due to the death of my Mom.

I paced the bike easier than I normally would have and I did my best at pacing the first half of the run conservatively too. I was fine until about mile 18 and then it was all about holding on for dear life. I did lose quite a bit of time in those late miles and had 2 or 3 guys pass me in my AG but I did pass someone with about 1 mile to go. I got 10th in my AG and the last Kona slot by 14 secs. The guy right behind me ran sub-3:20 so all he needed was probably another 100 yards and I would have been toast.

Having a solid run base from past years will take you a long way. You also have to mentally prepare yourself for a very difficult last 8 to 10 miles. If you have a number of long runs under your belt at this point then you're in a much better position than i was so stay positive and use this challenge as a motivator to make you a stronger/better person.

Thanks, Chris