Home General Training Discussions
Options

[EN] New Workshop New Year New You

Were ready to help you kick off the new year just right!

Reader -

This is the last "real" update of 2020. I've been waiting a long time to write this message to you, even if you haven't been waiting that long to read it.

I often preach taking things day-by-day. It's hard to tell what progress looks like when you are deep in the forest. This is why seeking progress can sometimes be a fool's errand.

We are often better served by staying in the moment and doing our best possible effort on the task at hand. But the events of 2020 have been so front of mind, so life-changing for all of us, that I have struggled to maintain that daily focus. I have been looking to this week like a finish line even though I know there is no such thing as "the end" to the journey we are on through this pandemic.

Instead, I am framing this moment as the Turnaround. Every one of you knows what I mean. You are familiar with the Turnaround Point on a long run or ride or adventure. It is a satisfying point to reach, stopping to check your watch and lifting your head to look back over just how far you have come.

At the same time, it's humbling to know that you are only just halfway there. Knowing that you have to do the exact same work you’ve done up until now, but with mental and physical fatigue setting in.

While 2020 will soon be in the rearview mirror, the effects of the past twelve months won’t be gone anytime soon. I take incredible comfort knowing that I hit this Turnaround Point with all of you by my side. You’ve been constant companions, quick with a laugh or a knowing look, helping to keep me on track.

I don’t know what the future holds, but I know that we are all going to kick some serious butt when it finally arrives.

So I raise my gel flask to you all, pull my trucker hat down just a bit more tightly and leave you with this: Last one there buys the beer.

See ya,

~ Coach Patrick

** Season Wrapping Workshop