Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

Beer and Training

I saw this article. I am currently adjusting my entire seasonal nutrition plan.

Article:
When it comes to having an occasional beer while in training, you probably are not doing yourself any harm.  In fact, you could be doing yourself some good!! (as long as you are adequately hydrated).  As per an article on www.allaboutbeer.com – If an “average” 12 ounce bottle of beer sported a Nutrition Facts label, this is what it would tell you:

Beer contains 150 calories.
Beer has no fat
Beer has no cholesterol
Beer is caffeine free
Beer contains no nitrate
Beer contains 1 gram of protein and 13 grams of carbohydrates
Beer contains significant amounts of magnesium, selenium, potassium, phosphorus, and biotin
Beer is chock full of the B vitamins (as anyone who has taken brewer’s yeast as a B supplement already knows), with impressive amounts of B3 (niacin), B5 (pantothenic acid), B6 (pyridoxin), and B9 (folate), with smaller amounts of B1 (thiamine), B2 (riboflavin), B12 inotisol and choline.
Beer is 92 percent water

Comments

• Options
    Love it!!! Certainly may need to work more beer into my training plans.

So what is your favorite beer, or type of beer? I love me some Imperial IPAs!
  • Options
    Beer is good. Even if it wasn't, if you take your recreational athletics so seriously that it makes you quit or even feel bad about drinking beer you are doing something very wrong and need to reevaluate your priorities.
  • Options
    Chris has an excellent point. Even if we didn't enjoy our occassional brewski's our training and racing still pays the same. I personally find that Guinness is one of THE best recovery beverages around.
  • Options
    Amen- I mean...cheers! image
  • Options

I'll drink to that, work hard, play hard !!

• Options

Beer is definitely good.

• Options

An Ubu beer after a long ride...what could be better? TWO Ubu's!

• Options
    Posted By Tucker McKeever on 29 Nov 2009 08:08 PM

So what is your favorite beer, or type of beer? 

..the one in my hand.

• Options
    Posted By David Corso on 30 Nov 2009 07:43 PM

..the one in my hand.

Wow didn't see that one coming! 

Though I must admit I have become very discerning about the beer I drink.  Years ago I would have agreed with you, but now if it isn't a good beer I would rather not drink it.  

• Options
    Posted By Tucker McKeever on 30 Nov 2009 08:13 PM

..the one in my hand.

Though I must admit I have become very discerning about the beer I drink.  Years ago I would have agreed with you, but now if it isn't a good beer I would rather not drink it.  

Trust me, if it's in my hand, it's good beer.  Life is too short to drink bad beer.

• Options
    Posted By David Corso on 30 Nov 2009 09:33 PM

..the one in my hand.

Trust me, if it's in my hand, it's good beer.  Life is too short to drink bad beer.

Right there with ya! I have gotten to where it's just not worth it if it's not good. I tend more toward the Ales and Porters. Dark and hoppy - that's how I like em - sadly that also means lot o calories so I usually keep the quantity consumed on the low side. My favorite is Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, but love the Celebration, Anniversary and ESB too, Bass and Newcastle from across the pond, Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter too, Lefthand Sawtooth and Breckinridge Brewery have made the short list recently and I'm digging the Magic Hat Roxy Rolles Hoppy Autumn Amber that I'm drinking right now . It has a really cool label too! I even made my own Double Chocolate Porter that I thought was a complete disaster initially because it didn't carbonate properly until more than the normal amount of time necessary for such things, but it ended up turning out pretty good!

Here's to good beer! Cheers - where is that little doode with his beer mugs???? I miss him

• Options

Hey,

While I'm thinking about it, someone find me a Beer of the Month Club or something. I'm contact them, tell them I gots 400 peeps in my back pockets who wants a deal on good beer. I'll hook up a discount, discount code and post here .

Leveraging the community to improve beer selections everywhere,

• Options

For me, it's Guinness.  It's practically a supplement.  Check this out.

http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/foo...d-for-you/

• Options

..the one in my hand.

When my husband and I met, I thought he just like cheap beer but before he quit drinking...when we had more discretionary income he became a VERY picky beer drinker...now I'm just picky about my wine....how is wine for training?  

• Options
    Wine is great too!

To change the quote around, life is too short to drink bad beer and wine!

Some good beers here. Love Lefthand Brewery. My personal favorite are the Imperial IPAs. Go big or go home.

Rich I love the idea. I will check into some clubs tonight unless I drink too much which is highly probable. Though you live in SoCal right? Some awesome beers there. You have Stone, Lost Abbey, Port, Green Flash just to name a few. I envy you for that.
  • Options
    Rich,

I didn't forget about you. Here is the main beer of the month club, actually, it seems like they have bought up most of the clubs that used to be around. They have 4 different plans to choose from. My choice would be the Rare Beer Club but that is more because I have a great shop in my town and the club may be able to get me something I cannot get at my local.

I have gotten a couple of these clubs as gifts. You get a decent beer every month. Nothing groundbreaking or avant garde. It really is terrible that breweries cannot sned directly to customers. That would be fun. Pick a different one every month to send out a selection to the team but unfortunately big brother doesn't allow it.

http://www.beermonthclub.com/join-gift.htm

Another idea could be to have a beer club in the Haus where we can swap beers with each other. For example, there are breweries in your backyard that I cannot buy in my local store as they cannot ship to NJ. I am sure the reciprocal happens as well. So you could send me a couple beers and I could send you a couple. Just a thought.
  • Options
    My Brother is in a group like that. They mail eachother local beers back and forth.
    He has now tried over 700 beers though that network and his freind is all teh way up to 1400...
    Ive tried alot of them with him and got some GOOD beers and SOME HORRRRID beers haha.
  • Options
    Tucker,
    Thanks for the link! I saw they had a referral program and it looks like a few of us could sign up and then refer others to the service, and we all save money?
  • Options
    Rich,
    It does appear to be that way. If you refer someone you get 50% off your next month plus they get 50% off theirs. Looks like a savings of $10-25 for that one month. You do need to be signed up for at least a 3 month plan so really you are looking at a 16% savings. Not bad. Would certainly be easier to just get a 20% discount for a 3 month batch for a group of EN members and see how everyone likes it.
    Tucker
  • Options
    Posted By Tucker McKeever on 07 Dec 2009 06:39 PM

Rich,

It does appear to be that way. If you refer someone you get 50% off your next month plus they get 50% off theirs. Looks like a savings of $10-25 for that one month. You do need to be signed up for at least a 3 month plan so really you are looking at a 16% savings. Not bad. Would certainly be easier to just get a 20% discount for a 3 month batch for a group of EN members and see how everyone likes it.

Tucker

Yeah, I'll try that first. Also interesting how a $29 subscription becomes two months at quite a bit more than that, because of shipping? Maybe I need to look more closely at it.

• Options
    Rich,
    They are like drug dealers, give it to you cheap at first to hook you, then jack up the price. Bastards!
    Tucker
  • Options
    BEER - I'm a fan!

I just found a new addition to my list of favorites - Founders Breakfast Stout. Others I enjoy include Dark Starr Stout, Young;s Double Chocolate Stout, and the Vanilla Bourbon Stout from the CdA Brewery. As you can tell, I like dark beers...but I'm also partial to a good wheat brew.
  • Options

Breakfast beer.  Been there.  Done that.  Got the finishers medal. 

• Options
    Posted By Joel on 07 Dec 2009 11:53 PM

BEER - I'm a fan!

I just found a new addition to my list of favorites - Founders Breakfast Stout. Others I enjoy include Dark Starr Stout, Young;s Double Chocolate Stout, and the Vanilla Bourbon Stout from the CdA Brewery. As you can tell, I like dark beers...but I'm also partial to a good wheat brew.

Joel, you should look for Souhtern Tier Choklat.  Usually comes out around now.  Such a great beer.  And Founders make some great beers.  Good stuff.

• Options
    Souhtern Tier Choklat - I'll check in with my local shop this weekend.
  • Options
    Wow, have I been slacking on the forum surfing! Totally missed this one and I LOVE beer! Guiness is definately a fav. Gotta love my Heineken too! Anyone ever tried San Miguel Beer from the Philippines? When I lived there, tried that, and WHOOOO! Had me grinning after one!
  • Options

I think we need to create a new EN Webinar

"Training with Beer"

• Options

Russian River Brewing Co, "Pliny the Elder" going down now. Now this is a nice beer.

• Options
    Posted By Linda Patch on 12 Dec 2009 06:31 PM

Russian River Brewing Co, "Pliny the Elder" going down now. Now this is a nice beer.

I can't get that out here.  You are very lucky to be able to get Russian River!!!!