Home General Training Discussions
Options

Plan B

As in I need one . I'll try to make this as brief and succinct as possible!

I joined Nov. OS thinking I was ready to roll after 4 weeks off in October (did Augusta 70.3 September 27). Not to be - the old injury flared up after I did the tests in week 1. Got the "proceed with caution" from the ortho Doc Wednesday before Thanksgiving. So basically I am going on 8 weeks of very little training on the heels of 6 months of very little running leading up to Augusta.

I did the week 2 Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday workouts last week and did the Tuesday Week 3 workout today and am planning to do the rest of week 3 as the week goes on and see how I feel. So far feeling pretty good - other than I am totally out of shape after the 8 weeks off . The intervals are fine on the bike @ the FTP I tested at the beginning of Nov., but the 85% after that is the hard part. The running, well it's just hard - even when I'm fit .

So - do I try to join back in w/ the November peeps at some point? Do I just kinda feel my way the rest of this month doing the best I can using the Nov. OS workouts according to where I am and then join January OS? Back the plan down a level since coming off the injury? Something else?

Obviously I am not sure which direction to go - any advise greatly appreciated!

Robin

Comments

• Options
    What was the injury? Was it something that could be caused by biomechanics (e.g. bike fit?) If so would spend some time experimenting now on position, etc to find way to make pain go away and then merge back onto the OS. Carrying an injury forward from one season to the next seems like a recipe for lingering problems. A little extra time now won't make much difference, but having to pull up lame in April or May will be much harder.
  • Options

Injury is too long, complicated and boring to go through completely, but basically was a stress injury originally w/ some muscle and attachment issues in my hip. Bike fit is good and has been professionaly done w/ video, etc. I do have good orthotics and run on soft surfaces. The Dr. released me after we got MRI results back last week and ruled out some back problems - so I feel safe to proceed from a health standpoint. I am not feeling any pain currently.

I am feeling like I am in no man's land - late to the party for November and crashing January. After 2 months of virtually nothing I am anxious to be on a schedule again, but want to do the right thing. In other words, if I am trying to "catch up" w/ November peeps - how do I go about doing that without overdoing it? If I wait til January - just wing it til then? Sorry - not too experienced at having to "fudge" the schedule and looking for some guidance.

thanks!

• Options
    Robin -

The hip area is so serious, so important, so crucial...that the longer you take to come back the better. I bet we could lay out a good 4 week progression getting you to some NYE 5k fun run and entering the new year ready to crush it with the Jan OS peeps. Are you open to that?

P
  • Options

Open for that and Ready!

Thanks image
  • Options

I agree with Patrick.  I've been fighting a stress fracture forever and finally decided to back it off until Christmas and join the Jan OS group.  Your situation sounds a lot like mine and is the same path I plan on taking.

• Options

P - do you want me to put in an official change of plan request for this?