Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

2010: My Sked, your thoughts

As always, I'd appreciate any input or advice from the collective wisdom of EN. 

Goal:

Shoot for a Kona Spot.   

Plan:

Two kicks at the can: IMReg and IMCan. 

1. Register for IM Regensburg

2. Qualify for IM Canada at Peterborough HIM

Other stuff:

-This is a 30,000 feet, structure of year scaffold only.  I’ll get to thinking about focuses, limiters, skills blocks, etc in the days ahead.

-I’d like to get a big bike week (or two) in Tucson done in March / April, if only to have a Cool Event to look forward to during the Canadian winter.  In past experience, this big week could have an impact on the quality of the week immediately following, but on balance, it's worth it.     

-I acknowledge the timing of the HIM – week 8 of IM training - is suboptimal.  I’ve tried to mitigate this by making the IM training season a 13-week footprint in case I need to create a recovery buffer week somewhere in there. If not, it’s another week of work.  

-I’ve tossed in a few ‘gimmie’ weeks here and there for rest, sickness or other unanticipated stuff.  

-IM Reg and IM Canada are close. But I’m actaully okay at executing back-to-back IMs, for whatever reason.

-If I need another week of downtime, i'll start Dec 14.   

Week of 7-Dec

offseason 1

14-Dec

offseason 2

21-Dec

offseason 3

28-Dec

offseason 4

4-Jan

offseason 5

11-Jan

offseason 6

18-Jan

offseason 7

25-Jan

offseason 8

1-Feb

offseason 9

8-Feb

offseason 10

15-Feb

offseason 11

22-Feb

offseason 12

1-Mar

offseason 13

8-Mar

offseason 14

15-Mar

offseason 15

22-Mar

offseason 16

29-Mar

offseason 17

Tucson BBW

5-Apr

offseason 18

Tucson BBW

12-Apr

offseason 19

19-Apr

offseason 20

26-Apr

transition

3-May

Train 0

10-May

Train 1

17-May

Train 2

24-May

Train 3

31-May

Train 4

7-Jun

Train 5

14-Jun

Train 6

21-Jun

Train 7

28-Jun

Train 8

HIM Peterborough

5-Jul

Train 9

12-Jul

Train 10

19-Jul

Train 11

26-Jul

Train 12

IM Regenberg

2-Aug

transition

9-Aug

Train 10

16-Aug

Train 11

23-Aug

Train 12

IM Canada

Your thoughts?  

Comments

• Options
    Wow, those two IMs are pretty close together! Racing Peterborough, are you from Toronto/Ottawa area? If so, lots of indoor time, probably most of the offseason I'd guess. Pretty hard to get in long rides until your 12 week IM plan starts. Doable, but that's a lot of trainer / treadmill time. Gets harder every weekend it rains too. How close have you been to a Kona slot in the past? What's your weak spot between s/b/r and are you going to work on this as you get into details?

tom
  • Options
    Posted By Tom Glynn on 30 Nov 2009 04:57 PM

Wow, those two IMs are pretty close together!

Yeppers.  Can't see any alternatives, tho - unless i look at CdA , Nice or Japan.   Nice damn near killed me when i did it, Japan is too far and too rich for my blood  and CdA is down to community slots.  I know ... if you wanna play, you gotta pay, but I'm trying to spread my scarce resources across a few destination races this year.  

Racing Peterborough, are you from Toronto/Ottawa area?

Downtown Toronto.  So Peterborough race admin is get in the car at 5:00 race morning, drive a bit further than i normally would for a long ride, and do the race.  All the Muskoka long course IM Canada slots are being transferred to Peterborough this year on account of the G8 summit in Huntsville, which is actually a good thing - I like that course.   

If so, lots of indoor time, probably most of the offseason I'd guess. Pretty hard to get in long rides until your 12 week IM plan starts. Doable, but that's a lot of trainer / treadmill time. Gets harder every weekend it rains too.

Yep.  Running is outdoor year round, but outdoor riding won't begin until week of March 16 (Arizona Big Bike Week).  a few sketchy weekends in April in May, though. You're right there.   

How close have you been to a Kona slot in the past? What's your weak spot between s/b/r and are you going to work on this as you get into details?

Missed Kona slots by two-something minutes in Louisville and 5-7 minutes in Arizona.  So it's close (but for those that have been pipped by 1-2 seconds for a spot, these spreads are a lifetime!). 

I'll start to increase the grandularity of the SBR limiter picture once I start to roll out my season and get some serious reflecting done on '09.  

tom

• Options

Dave,

I think you should consider "not count" the BBW stuff in AZ as part of the OS training. So that bit of your schedule would look like:

OS 16

Tucson

Tucson

OS 17

OS 18

OS 19

OS 20

By the time you're into that bit of the schedule you'll be outside and can add volume to the regular OS workouts, to get sorta a head start on the IM training. For you, I think you only "need" about 10wks of focused IM training, especially given the fact that you'll be ending the OS outside (= a bit more volume) and you have that Tucson stuff scheduled.

The key to getting faster is the OS, not necessarily the IM training. As PnI work to get people set up for next year, we really plan to keep as many people as possible in the OS for as long as possible. The speed gains are just too good.