Home General Training Discussions
Options

Did my first FTP test yesterday and ....

... my number is low. I didn't say inaccurate, I said low. watts are watts, right?

Here's the Data:

My Pnorm for the 42 minutes of the test.

Duration:      41:57

Work:          408 kJ

TSS:           69.6 (intensity factor 0.999)

Norm Power:    166

VI:            1.02

Pw:HR:          n/a

Pa:HR:          n/a

Distance:      12.731 mi

Min    Max    Avg

Power:           78    254    162     watts

Cadence:         67    193    114     rpm

Speed:           0    26.2    18.1     mph

Pace             2:18    0:00    3:18     min/mi

Hub Torque:      40    70    59     lb-in

Crank Torque:    48    231    125     lb-in

I'm 6'1" 170 pounds with an FTP of 166.

Previous race info (No power data):

I did the Eagleman 70.3 bike (pancake flat) this past June in 3:00:04  (18.8 MPH average speed)

I did the Timberman 70.3 bike (very hilly) this past August in 3:04:54  (18.2 MPH average speed)

I paced myself well on both of those rides and was going at a fairly easy effort so as not to kill my legs before the run.

Does my 166 FTP jive wth that?

Other imortat info: I have not ridden seriosuly in a month and a half (I was training for NY Marathon and then had an injury), but I don't think my bike fitnees is all gone. I attempted a test last week but went to hard on the first 5 minutes and didn't think I could do the second 20 minutes correctly (Pnorm for the first 20 minutes of that test was 182 watts).

I'm using Wired PT SL with a Mavic Open Pro wheel and yes it was zeroed. I can post my WKO+ file if anyone wants to look at it.

So 166 is the right number? right? I work off of that I use that as my guide?

(Should I have posted this to power and pace?)

Any comments woud be appreciated.

thanks,

Cary

Comments

• Options

Sounds about right based on your race results and somewhat deconditioning for the bike. You'll likely see significant increases as the OS rolls on. 

Lynne

• Options
    not a real useful exercise to compare power numbers to others. The key is to make them go up.
  • Options

I did my first FTP test last november and hit 175. I thought that was low and almost didn't post. I found that after doing intervals for a few weeks I learned how to pace and test better. I saw a big bump in the next one. I wouldn't worry if it seems low or not. Just go with it and keep plugging away and the number will go up. Nice work!

• Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

This is exactly the type of feedback I was looking for. I really just wanted to hear "That sounds about right" so I could continue with my training without wondering if I did something wrong during the test. I'm ready to do work and bring that number up. And when I wrote "low", I was thinking that someone my size that's had some experience on the bike would have a higher FTP, I guess the numbers don't lie.

thanks again
  • Options
    Posted By Matt Sullivan on 30 Nov 2009 09:19 PM

I did my first FTP test last november and hit 175. I thought that was low and almost didn't post. I found that after doing intervals for a few weeks I learned how to pace and test better. I saw a big bump in the next one. I wouldn't worry if it seems low or not. Just go with it and keep plugging away and the number will go up. Nice work!

Ditto...my first ever FTP was around 180, and I was embarrassed to post.  A couple weeks later I was over 200 and feeling more like part of the club.  You may also have an inside/outside issue going on.  I topped out pre-IMLou 2008 at 261, but have never gotten much above 225 indoors.  Don't worry about it...take the 176 and move it north.  If you find yourself crushing your FT intervals (like HAYES!!!), you might want to retest before the scheduled test at 8 weeks.

• Options
    agree with everyone. Gotta start somewhere and there is nowhere to go but up. If your FTP is 166 after OS, then that's a different conversation!

Welcome to power image

tom
  • Options
    soon you'll be like Coach Rich, who, after any ride of any effort level / duration, can get off the bike and guesstimate the IF to within 2 one-hundredths of a point. SERIOUSLY!
  • Options
    Cary,

The numbers are what they are...as long as using the same tool of measurement: the numbers go up over time. My first PM was a polar. While it read high (nice for the ego) the important part was that the numbers got higher as I got stronger and also I was able to tell if my ride was real work or fluff from drafting.

Vince
  • Options

Good responses.  Didn't see if it was outside or on the trainer?  Maybe I missed it? One other thing to point out if you did do it outside is to try and do the next FTP test on the same course.

Good job! 

• Options
    It was on the trainer. It was a very nice day here, but I couldn't think of a place to ride for 2x20' uninterrupted. Probably going to be doing indoor tests for a while.

And thanks again to everyone for the responses.I am psyched to do work and push that number UP.
  • Options

Cary,

Ditto what everyone else has already said. The best part is that we have a LOT of women in here training with power so it will be easy for you to get some perspective from them. It can be tough to be in a room full of guys tossing around numbers north of 250w.