Home Racing Forum 🏎
Options

Big Kahuna 70.3 RR #1 - The Good, The Bad and The Not So bad

RR #1 for this event was completed this morning on a normal bike route in the EN Norcal area.  2,000 + feet of climbing on rollers, flats and a few steady ascents.  By comparison, Big Kahuna is only ~ 1,300 feet of climbing with a ton of just rollers up and down Pacific Coast Highway.  No real hills or ascents.  I estimate a 2:45 finish at BK.

Also, training with a Joule 2.0 is a blessing and a curse.  A carrot and a stick in a tiny little package. 

The Good:  Good start, pretty low VI (I was expecting 1.08 or higher based on my spikes on some of the hills) and seemed too easy 2 hours into the ride.  DOH!  (NOTE TO SELF:  Disregard these thoughts.  You have NOT miracled any new fitness)

The Bad:  Almost ran into a group of wild turkeys on a curve on a country road doing 25+ MPH and then flatted my front tire 1:10 into the ride.  8 minute change time.  Did get a little cocky at the 2 hour mark and started picking up the watts slightly cuz I was feeling really good.  Was at .813 for awhile and then dropped back as I could tell I was pushing too hard cuz my TSS was going to pass 180 by the end of the ride which would put me in the yellow in the TSS race execution chart.  I also didn't take in enough calories.  Goal was 700 calories and I only took in ~ 400 on the 2:44:29 bike. 

Off the bike I stretched my back cuz it was a liitle sore towards the end of the ride.   In the first mile of the run my right hami started cramping.  I stretched it 2x for 30 seconds each and I was OK.  Then the left hami started to cramp.  Stretched that one and was fine.   (NOTE TO SELF:  Add Thermolytes to the race nutrition)  Then I could tell I was bonking. Only 40 oz. of water on a 3 hour bike and not enough calories for this big guy.  I ran 3.27 miles @ 9 seconds slower overall than my pace +:30 so not too bad.  Weight at start of ride was 210 and weight after run was 206.5.  That is not good.

The Not So Bad:  I don't look at RR's as anything more than adjustment time.  I made a couple of mistakes this time and it will help reel me in for the next RR in two weeks.  I was a little overconfident and not focused on nutrition and I paid a price.  Race rehearsal score?  I give myself a 7 out of 10.  Overall, I am happy with my day and will know what to dial in for RR #2.  That is why we do these, right?

Thanks for reading.

Entire workout (181 watts):

Duration:   2:44:29

Work:       1914 kJ

TSS:        190.4 (intensity factor 0.808)

Norm Power: 190

VI:         1.04

Distance:   49.101 mi

Elevation Gain:     2190 ft

Elevation Loss:    2196 ft

Comments

• Options

Really not bad at all! Getting on top of the nutrition and hydration will get you there!

• Options
    If any one knows how to execute, its you Stark man. Your observations are correct. Get on top of that nutrition. Has your weight changed much since your last big race? The reason I am asking is I have put on like 18+lbs from IMWI and I have noticed that I sweat a lot more. You might want to look into re-calculating your sweat rate and evaluating what you need to take in to set yourself for the run.
  • Options
    Seems like a pretty good ride to me. Good IF on a hilly course and dead on for IF (assuming .8 is what you were aiming at for HIM). Sounds like you identified the nutrition/hydration issues which probably would have negated the run problems. I train with a Joule, too, and I do really like it, but I do not display VI on it. I only have one race with it (in Hawaii so hilly course), but by sticking to race wattages my VI ended up being 1.05 with an IF of .824. Of all the things that can be on that display, I think watching that VI would drive me the most nuts.

Good luck on your next RR!
  • Options
    John, thanks for sharing your date and thought processes!! Very informative!

P
  • Options

@Terry:  Yep, .8 was the goal.  And I don't look at VI on the bike either.  With the Joule I am hyper focused on IF. and real-time watts.

@_Noodle_:  I gained 20 pounds since IM CdA last year and have last 15 of that already and still losing.  I have thought more about my eating the night before and the morning of the RR.  I do need to add more to both those meals as well next time.  I may have been in a caloric deficit even at the start of the bike.  This may have been a big part of the issue.  Balancing "clean" eating and caloric restriction while training for a HIM is a fine line. 

@Patrick - Looking forward to having you "Crucible" my ride.

• Options
    John- Sounds as if you have a good list of things to pay attention to before the next one. I'm sure you will nail that one.

I should see you there. 95% sure I will be doing it also.