Home General Training Discussions
Options

OS Recoveries: More Work in Less Time OK?

Needing to do 4x1 mile today but only having 40 minutes to get it done, I needed to make a tweak. So instead of running 6' miles and jogging 4' recoveries, I ran 6 and then walked 1.5 mins, jogged 1.5 mins. Got the work done and it was still fookin' hard (who wrote these things????)...curious to hear what others think!

Thanks!

P

Comments

• Options

I've cut down the recovery time running outside last winter because it was so stinking cold that my sweaty self would start shivering before the next interval. Shouldn't really impact the rTSS too much cuz the IF is so low. However, was wondering if it's a big deal to start an interval not being fully rested? I know that alot of cyclocross and mtb race specific workouts will include anaerobic intervals on little rest. So maybe you do intervals 2-4 with a little bit more lactic acid in your muscles, with a HR slightly higher than if you took the whole 4 minutes of rest...I don't think it's bad.

• Options

Maybe it's my age, but for the past ten years, when I do hard miles (at, say, 10K pace), I always walk until my HR hits recovery level (for me, about 100 bpm). That generally takes 45-60 sec. Then I jog (HR up to 112) until I feel ready to go, which is usually another minute. So I endorse the walk/jog strategy between hard intervals. To me, the amount of time expended between intervals is determined by what is needed to ensure I do all the intervals at the prescribed pace (with the last one just a bit quicker), or the prescribed recovery interval, whichever is shorter.

• Options

I usually walk about 30 seconds or so get some fluids in me and then start back up. I even do this during 5k and 10k races I walk a few seconds every mile and make sure I get my fluids in. And seeing that I had my fastest times last year I am sticking to it

• Options
    What Al said (and others). Our intent was to say that the intervals will be hard and we want you hitting them. Doing the work right is better than following exact recovery protocols into a brick wall, in other words!

P
  • Options

Sounds like good advice and is in line with what is said about the bike workouts...."Get the work in".  If  a workout has to be short then make sure the work is done!

• Options

By changing the recovery times/intensities, I would think you would be affecting the actual workout as well (not necessarily in a good or bad way, just chaning the type of interval).  I would think that shorter, harder recoveries would work more to increase your lactic threshold, while the easier and longer recoveries would focus more on your anaerobic threshold.

Of course, this is coming from an EN noob who has been 'conditioned' with the Mark Allen-type philosophy that says you have to ride for millions of miles to earn the right to train fast...so, I could be competely off-base on this one.

Coaches?  Anyone else?  Thoughts?

• Options

Stephen,

how long/short the rest is in between intervals won't change the physiology of the work during the intervals.  A Threshold-pace interval is going to work the same system(s) on long or short rest.

What varying the rest might do is affect your ability to recover enough from the previous interval in order to complete the next interval.

In this case, it shouldn't be much of an issue, since running at Z4 is supposed to be the intensity you could hold for an hour.  Based on that, it shouldn't matter a ton if you rest for 4 minutes, 5, or even 2, as long as you get the work done.

Hope that helps!

Mike