Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

Kid Questions about St. Nick

I need some help from the veteran parents.  My 6 yo asked me this am, 'how does Santa get all the money for the toys?'

He caught me off guard and I didn't have an answer other than to say, that's a great question.

He then proceeds with, 'and how does the tooth fairy get all the money?'

So, how best do I perpetuate this giant lie? 

Thanks for your help,

Dave

Comments

• Options

Santa doesn't "buy" the toys- His elves make sooooo many of them each year at Christmas that he sells the extras to the toy companies after Christmas  and that is why there are always toys in the stores! That money helps pay to feed the reindeer, goes toward sleigh repairs, the Elves NYE party and the like. Maybe my kids were just totally gullible though. At any rate - enjoy it while it does last - it's officially over for us, my 9 year old just told me Monday that "he didn't know how to break it to me" but wasn't buying the Santa bit anymore . At least I don't have to wait for them to go to sleep before I can go to bed this Christmas Eve!

As for the tooth fairy - amzingly enough mine never asked that, but I suppose she could sell the teeth she collects! Just not sure who would buy tiny sized used teeth

Good luck!

• Options

When asked, we never actually said that Santa brought the swag (personal choice....I'm not opposed to perpetuating Santa...), we just told them that mommy and daddy provided all the money for gifts that came at Christmas unless they specifically came from another person. That way we were able to justify limits while still allowing the mystery to remain that some strange man in a suit picked out the gifts and brought them on Christmas eve.  

We were never asked about the tooth fairy either...we always gave a silver dollar and a new toothbrush/toothpaste.  Maybe they were afraid they would get more toothpaste if they asked.....

• Options
    My 17 year old was once quoted as saying that he "never believed in any of that crap". I think he was 8 at the time.

Good luck. image
  • Options
    Posted By David Halligan on 02 Dec 2009 03:14 PM

I need some help from the veteran parents.  My 6 yo asked me this am, 'how does Santa get all the money for the toys?'

He caught me off guard and I didn't have an answer other than to say, that's a great question.

He then proceeds with, 'and how does the tooth fairy get all the money?'

So, how best do I perpetuate this giant lie? 

Thanks for your help,

Dave

Government sponsored, low-interest loan.

• Options

Ahhhh, the camel's nose in the tent of disbelief. So sad. I remember just copping out of the whole specific question thing with something like, "What Santa does is so magical and mysterious to every body. I'm not sure how he does what he does, but I'm sure glad of it--aren't you?" You'll get a big nod. Done. Until next year. Using the elves come in handy too.

Same kind of response re the Tooth Fairy. We once found abook in the library about the the teeth being used to build houses in the Tooth Fairy Land. They were adorable. Maybe it really is all in real estate.

Good luck. By next year, he probably won't believe, but will hedge his bets and stay on the fence. By the year after, game over.

• Options

That is a good question from a 6 year old!  We of course perpetuated the lie to the fullest extent!  Can you say "GUILTY"!

Christmas Eve Checklist included:

• Putting milk and cookies out for Santa
    • Putting a seperate plate of celery out for the reindeer
    • Tucking son into bed and reading "Twas the Night Before Christmas"
    • Stuffing a present up the chimney flue  (without fire)
    • Placing a piece of torn red velvet on part of the chimney flue handle that opens and closes the flue as if Santa ripped his jacket on it
    • Creating a trail of footsteps on the carpet with flour leading from the fireplace to the Christmas Tree to the milk and cookies and back to chimney
    • Sprinkling red glitter along the trail of flour made footprints
    • Placing partially chewed celery on Yule Log in the fireplace as if reindeer ate the celery over the top of the chimney.....reindeer are not clean eaters.
    • At 5:30 AM, sneaking downstairs to light the tree, turn on Christmas music
    • After all is set, shaking a strand of super top secret Santa Sleigh bells outside of son's bedroom door
    • Racing back to our beds very quietly so that he can come into the bedroom and wake us up! 

I know, I know....shamelessly perpetuating the lie, but the look on his face is priceless......wonder if we can perpetuate the lie until he is 21......he's 17 now!  LOL! 

(If anyone wants to borrow any of the above items or the entire list, no charge!)  

• Options

Oh yeah, Rick just reminded me...we always left crumbs on the plate and a little milk in the bottom of the glass so it looked more "real." So fun.

• Options

Yeah - I forgot that part too. We left cookies, carrots for the reindeer - all of which are left on the plate partially eaten and a beer for Santa! Don't ask about Santa driving the sleigh after drinking image - that's a whole nother big LIE! The beer was not left partially consumed though image.
  • Options

I put out fake messes in the yard that the supposed reindeer made if you get my drift  and I once dressed up as Santa and had pictures taken of me putting out presents. Then got scolded by the kids that what would happen if I scared off Santa by taking pictures.

Good luck.

• Options
    smile!! one, he is a kid and can be easily sidetracked He asks money you say "so what did you decide son, about your list? were you going for X or Y?" and then if he comes back to money? you say "some things I just don't understand son" "take your sister and mother for example....."! and well..... here is what we have done... "if you don't believe in Santa then you won't get that gift".. and then the utlimate threat, "if you tell your younger sibling? = you lose gifts"!! no really, we don't go crazy about Santa (as I buy tickets to Breakfast with Santa!) but Santa brings one big gift, normally the one that can't be wrapped and fills the stockings and then we get the rest. and there was an age when they start not to believe in Santa but even my 21 year old gets a big gift from Santa and a filled stocking!! who wants to come right out and say they don't believe and then take a risk of losing a gift!!? and then the tooth fairy, well, she used to come with first child, johhny on the spot but the 4th or 5th child, why it might take a week!!! in fact, right now tooth fairy is two days behind on a molar pulled by the dentist!! sister says it is worth $5 and brother is wondering why it hasn't showed yet!! and talk of Is there a Santa has already begun by 8 year old! Christmas is a fun time and right now around my house are pics of my kids at various ages in Christmas get ups sitting on Santa's lap or the other cheesy all matched outfits! have fun. m
  • Options

Hey folks,

Just wanted to say thanks for all your tips and suggestions.  In late November, my son wrote a letter to Santa just to say hello and ask questions, like 'Is having elves cool?' and 'what do you like?' along with 'I like your suit'

I wrote a letter back answering all his questions and thanking him for such a nice letter, especially since it was one in which he wasn't asking for anything.  I threw in a few christmas clip arts and made the font kinda fancy.

When I came home and he showed me the letter, his face was absolutely priceless. 

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Dave

• Options

We had an interesting "GULP" when we did our remodel 2 years ago.  The workers came and removed the fireplace (the whole wall was basically one huge block of bricks, and it all just had to go).  And then came the question..."How will Santa get in!??!"  Well, my mom came through with a "Magic Santa Key" (a big old style key) that we leave for him on the front porch.  Now as we're getting out the decorations the kids make absolute sure that we find the Santa Key!

Mike

• Options

One year our youngest was about 5 years old and was looking out the dining room window and started gasping and pointing to the roof of the neighbor's house, "LOOK!!! Mommy!!!!! Reindeer paws on the roof!!!"  The neighbors had apparently had some squirrel activity on their snow covered roof and she mistook it for reindeer.  It was just wonderful to see her face!  She has always been the Christmas queen!  

• Options
    Love this thread!! Just seeing it for the first time. Needed it last night, oh well.

Just got asked last night "how does Santa fit in the Chimney". I was caught off guard. I said something like Santa can do it, that is all I know. It is like magic!!

It was enough for her!

Merry Christmas everyone!!
  • Options

This is a very fun thread! I'm thirty-two. Santa stills brings me things. I have three sisters and I am the eldest. All of us have gone through periods of Santa doubt, but we were told Santa would come as long as one person in the house believed. My baby sister did an amazing job of pretending to believe in Santa until she was about twenty. And then the nieces and nephews came in the fill the Santa belief requirement.

• Options
    Posted By Beth Schwindt on 24 Dec 2009 07:49 AM

This is a very fun thread! I'm thirty-two. Santa stills brings me things. I have three sisters and I am the eldest. All of us have gone through periods of Santa doubt, but we were told Santa would come as long as one person in the house believed. My baby sister did an amazing job of pretending to believe in Santa until she was about twenty. And then the nieces and nephews came in the fill the Santa belief requirement.

Now THAT is classic!!!!