Home Racing Forum 🏎
Options

Beth IMWI 2010 Race Plan (Which Looks Suspiciously Like Nemo's Plan)

Alrighty -- here's the race plan. Any thoughts?

Pre-Race Week

ALL THE TIME: Hydrate and stretch/foam roll, like it is my job.

Thursday 9/2: Make the plan/packing lists for race

Friday 9/3:Last day to submit Picture & Bio for Team Blog

Saturday: Two-hour ride, pick up Dash from shop; clean shoes, gloves, change cleats

Sunday: Day of rest. Really, actually rest.

Race Week

Monday: Work Holiday!

AM: Swim

Start Packing

Tuesday:  Bike 45 minutes, Run 30 (shakedown bike ride. Make sure cleats, etc. are all properly adjusted)

Finalize packing

Wednesday:

30 minute run a.m.

After work: BIL picks up Beth; takes Beth and stuff to the ‘burbs. Meet the cute puppy and hang with the fam.

Thursday:

9 a.m. – Drive to Madison; check into hotel

Noon   Lunch  - Marigold Kitchen

1 pm   Register (while others are eating lunch)

2-6pm  Unpack, visit with chicas, swim and maybe tag along with anybody doing course recon)

6:30pm     EN Dinner @ Grays’ Tied House

9:30        Bedtime

Friday:

8-10am    Open Water Swim/Scone collection

10:00am   EN Pre-Race Talk (wear EN T-Shirt)

12:00pm   Lunch

1-5pm      Relax. Short 30 min run just to stay loose & 30 min bike for final check. Start packing SN Bags

6:00pm     Dinner (skip IM dinner and crazies. Hang out with non-triathlete friends)

7:30-8pm Mandatory Athlete Meeting  (likely skip – )

9:30pm     Bedtime

Saturday:

??:00am: SLEEP IN- wake up whenever and just relax.

9:00am     Breakfast (Lazy Janes! Lazy Janes!)(nlt 9:00 or rest of day meals will be messed up). Last time to eat any real fiber. Stick to “normal” breakfast routine if possible.  

11:30am   Check in bike and bags (10-3:00, but not too early or you’ll be in lines)

12:00pm   Big Lunch, and  get supplies for dinner & breakfast (Willy St. Co-op)

2:00 pm   Chill in hotel room/read lots of decorating/fashion magazines. With my feet up.

5:00pm     Light Dinner in hotel room (turkey sandwich, smoothie)

6:30pm     Pack bottles and nutrition and recovery drink. Set out Breakfast for the next day. Set alarms. Charge up the Garmin, Clear the memory.

9:30        Bedtime

RACE DAY!

2:00am    1 naked juice shake.

4:00am     Wakeup Call. Eat Breakfast- Smoothie, ½ banana, ww bread with almond butter.  Coffee.

4:15am     Get Dressed & Relax, brush teeth, wash face, rinse sinuses (because way better to do with saline than Lake Monona) let morning ritual take place. SipInfinit throughout the morning. 

5:00am     Walk up hill to race

5:10 am    Bodymarking

5:15am     Drop off SNBags. Pump tires, set nutrition and LYC on bike.

5:45am     Stand on line Bathroom & Relax on 2nd Floor

6:15am     Put on Wetsuit, take gel

6:30am     Dry Cloths bag & give to Joe to take to bag drop-off. Give Jo Cell Phone. Walk over to start and get in the water! Hug chicas!

Swim: Estimated 2:00 (Oh, dear gods, please let me be faster than this. But I’ll take slow and happy this go-around.)

Relaxed and easy. Stay calm and smooth. Remember that I need my 2000+ friends around me to be my school of fish and help pull me in to the finish faster!

T2:

A few good yoga breaths out of the water, calm down, wetsuit off. Up the helix. Smooth transition – imagine it being a line to my bike. Socks on, glasses on. Gels and bag of drugs in pockets. Chamois cream (important! Water soluble!) Carry helmet and shoes (unvelcroed) to bike. No need to dawdle! Just stay on task!

Bike: Estimated 6:50

Hooray! I get to ride my favorite bike course again!

Bike Gear:

·    Front bottle H20 (so I can see what I’m drinking)

·    Bento box with tools, Moojo,  

·    Tube bottle with 3-hour concentrate Infinit

·    

Bike Pacing: FTP = 194.

1st    127    1st 60-90min       

2nd    134    IM Watts       

3rd    141    Long Hills       

4th    147    Short Hills    

Bike Nutrition and Hydration

Mostly liquid/Semi liquid. Pack my Special Needs bag with the extra Infinit Feed Bottlem gels..Skip 1 GU if it’s really hot. Take caffeinated gel after BSN area, for the part of the Loop where extra concentration/morale is needed.

Take in nutrition/drink while climbing hills/out of aero, when possible. Take in third gel ½ hour away from Madison, somewhere on Whalen.

T2

No Rush, stay calm, Hand off bike & then remove shoes, jog to transition. Imagine following line through transition to get to run

Run: Estimated 4:30-4:45

Run Gear

·    Gels

·    Chica Visor

·    Change into running shoes, & socks

·    Ziplock Baggie containing: Small microfiber sheet, lip balm, medical baggie*, small lubricant, salt tabs, wrist sweatband, sport beans, $1 Bills

·    Grab Moojo

Run Pacing

Watch the Garmin carefully heading out of T2.   Forced walk breaks each mile:

Miles 1-6    10:30            

Miles 6-18    10:00            

Miles 18-26    10:00    HANG ON!!    

Run Nutrition

Just Gels, H2O, and coke, when that seems smart. I’ll take Salt tabs at every other Aid Station. Jelly Beans & Gum for emergency only. Listen to body about what it needs. Stay focused! This is really just four  slow six-mile runs and an IRONMAN finish! Gels on the forty-five minute marks.

Flash the Gang Sign & Finish!!!! Hear Mike Reilly christen me an Ironman! Be happy!!!

- Grab Warm Cloths Bag and find Jo

- Drink Recover Drink

- Take Shower in room

-Acquire Ian’s pizza.

- Great Dane to eat and see team

- Return to Finish Line to watch last group of finishers and get all the chicas back to the barn!

Monday

Have Jo pack and take gear with her

7-8:00 Team Breakfast (TBD)

Check out of hotel

Chica Brunch!!! (Can we say Dessert Time Trial???)

Hang out with Madison crew

Chica Dinner

Comments

• Options

OMG you are going to have so much fun!!

Does your sweet "bag of drugs" contain salt tabs for bike?

You might have more time and takers to do bike recon on Friday afternoon, that's how it worked out for me. Maybe switch the run w/the bike?

You are going to do great!

• Options
    Why it looks absolutely perfect to me :-) Convenient that both our Sherpas are Jo(e)! I like the added puppy visit the best.

Seriously- looks great. You are completely dialed in. You are going to do GREAT!!!! Save me a slice of pizza will ya?
  • Options

Looks great Beth   Like Nemo said you will be awesome!!

• Options

Thanks, all!

Aimee -- Yes, the bag of drugs contains s-caps, along with ibuprofen and pepto bismol tabs.

Nemo - So excited to meet the puppy! And this is going to be fun.

• Options
    I just got a little bit of butterflies reading this! I'm so excited for all of you! Selfishly, I'm even more excited that I get to witness it all!

Don't forget sunscreen! Not sure if you'll want to put some on the night before, and/or hit up a volunteer during transition to be sure you're covered.

• Options
    Beth- Salt tabs at every other aid station - so every 2 miles or every 20-21 minutes? Not sure what salt tabs you use, but I am a super salty sweater and that seems like a lot. Am I reading this wrong? Or maybe I should be carrying more salt tabs for the run?
  • Options
    Looks great Beth!

Just a reminder about meds during the race: if you are bloated and puking ( as in little or no gastric emptying) you will absorb very little or any of those meds especially if they are in capsule or pill form. So if possible get those meds in chewable form. Imodium, Pepto Bismol, antacids (including H2 blockers) come in chewable form . Really the best thing to do when the gut has shut down is to slow down so that there can be some blood flow restored to it and it can start emptying and processing what we've poured into it.
  • Options

Olivia -- the favorite part of my packing list is

sunscreen, face

sunscreen, aerosol

sunscreen, hair    I will definitely remember to put it all on.

Jennifer -- Typo on my part, salt tabs every hour, 1-2, depending on weather

Kitima -- good to know about chewables -- and the reminder to slow down if I need the thing to work. I have chewable pepto bismol, but I should throw in chewable antacids, too.

• Options
    Chewable! Of course!

Beth, FWIW- I'm planning on hitting up Lazy Janes for Brunch/Lunch on Saturday as my final Big Meal (scones and all- bring on the carbs). I'll eat a normal breakfast at the hotel so that I'm not too full when it gets to lunch time.
  • Options
    Posted By Nemo Brauch on 04 Sep 2010 03:07 PM

Chewable! Of course!

Beth, FWIW- I'm planning on hitting up Lazy Janes for Brunch/Lunch on Saturday as my final Big Meal (scones and all- bring on the carbs). I'll eat a normal breakfast at the hotel so that I'm not too full when it gets to lunch time.

Nemo, eat Saturday lunch with me!

• Options
    Looks good to me. oh, allow time for party pics!! m