Home General Training Discussions
Options

wheel covers, race wheels, etc

after last season I'm convinced that training with power will really help.  so I'm setting up my new bike with a powertap.  But that means giving up my old Hed 3's (new bike 700c wheels, old one 650c).  So I have a couple of options.  I can either use deep v or kinlin rims for a somewhat reasonable price, or spend 600-700 more and get some flashpoint 60's.  Whatever I get I'll need to ride every day since I really can't get two sets of wheels both with powertaps.  So the questions are: 1)  How much am I really giving up using the deep v's (assume 24 or 28 spokes on back and 20 or 24 on the front) over the flashpoint (assume 24 or 28 spokes on back and 20 or 24 on the front)?  2) do I get a good deal of that back by using a wheel cover on the back?  3) If I decided to go with the flashpoints, do they hold up to every day use?  4) Any other suggestions for dual purpose wheels that might cost a little less.  Betweed the frame, components, and powertap - this is starting to add up.  I almost broke down and skipped the powertap in favor of some nice wheels - but then reason caught up with me - I know I can get more speed through better training with the powertap than with aero wheels. 

Comments

• Options

Re Flashpoints holding up...they came with my tri-bike as original equipment.  When I upgrade my race wheels later, I started using the Flashpoints for everyday use.   I have had no problems with those wheels but I only weigh 152lbs.  r/Paul

• Options

IMHO, get a wheel cover for the rear (I was surprised at how tight the fit was) and pick  up a used 404 for the front for race day.