Home General Training Discussions
Options

Spinning

Mixing 2 topics, but here goes...trying to recover from H1N1 and 1-2 weeks away from exercise as a result.  Finding it very tough to even think about working out, put aside the OS plan.  Being in Chicago and gearing up fro crappy weather, I try to get my intensity workouts in the spin studio.  When my health improves again fully, I intend to get back to doing 2-3 spin classes consecutive on Saturdays (and then a short run).  That is how I get my intervals workouts done. 

Any thoughts about incorporating spinning in workouts?

Comments

• Options
    Spin can be a great workout if you put the hammer down and resistance up. No wattage meters on most bikes. Tyler Stuart, a top IM Pro, is a spin instructor and I treat a Cat 2 female that got all her cycling chops from teaching spin 2-3x/day for the past 5 yrs. As the boys say ' work...works'.

Vince
  • Options
    Randy - glad to see you posting in the forums...

My $.02....spin classes can be a great workout, but they don't really mesh up that well with the EN OS plans. Do them every once in a while to keep your boredom level down (I go to VQ every couple of weeks for the same reason). But with 2-3 spin classes, then a run...on a Saturday when you want to be with your family...you are putting in a 3-4 hour workout....all during the OS. Save those SAU credits for the summer when you need to put in the hours training for IMWI.

During the off season, get a trainer, and do the prescribed ~1.5 hour EN workout instead. It will be harder workout, you'll get more out of it, you will keep your sanity, and your family will appreciate it.

If you don't have a trainer, call me, I may be able to work something out for you.
  • Options
    thx Larry. i do have a trainer but have not used it in 4 years. I set it up in basement and just need to set my mind to it. Good advice re spin workouts and time. Equinox is getting new awesome wattage bikes with aerobars in Q1 2010. Very pysched.