Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

Kindle Review

Joanne bought a Kindle a few months ago and I've been using it.

• Screen is very easy to read. I got the Kindle app for my iPhone but it really strains my eyes, especially reading at night with a light on. I have very, very, very bad eyesight, FWIW. The Kindle is much better.
  • It's kinda big, I don't like the Fisher Price buttons on the bottom, but it's kinda good that it's big because it feels more book-ish. I really like how you can sit it on a leg and just read, unlike a book which you have to hold in one hand, turn a page, etc. On the Kindle you just push a button, page turns, done. You only type words to seach the Kindle store or in the book, to take notes, I guess. I see no need to take notes in an ebook so the keyboard jazz is wasted space for me. I think the Nook, Kindle-competitor, has an iPhone-like color screen at the bottom, on which you can type like an iPhone or flip through titles like in iTunes. I haven't seen one but think it would be a good feature, ie, size of the reading screen stays the same but total size of the reader decreases...maybe.

Price and the biz model
This is what really intriques me. It's friggin' expensive for what looks relatively budget. I don't know anything about the technology and cost of this type of display, but in a world where my iPhone serves many uses, is slick, small, etc, the idea of a big, sorta clunky mono-purpose device is hard to swallow. However, once you read a book on the Kindle vs iPhone, there really isnt much comparison, from a display standpoint.

That said, the Kindle + the 3G delivery technology + Amazon One-Click = STOOPID easy to purchase far more books than you ever have in the past. You can be laying in bed, think of a book, and be reading that book in about 1', tops. Also, considering the fact that the marginal cost of an ebook is $0 compared to a physical book, I don't understand why they are pricing these things with any relation to real books.

Anyway, I could see ereaders could really take off. The readers, file standards, prices, delivery methods, biz model need to sort themselves out but its very, very cool to have a TON of books right there with you at all times, have magazines show up automatically, etc.

Comments

• Options
    Re: pricing - I don't have one but I know why they are priced that way ...
    Supply & Demand, baby, Supply & Demand.
  • Options
    I just got my Kindle this week. Not a lot of experience with it yet but that will come starting tomorrow when I'm away on vacation reading for 7 days! I'll just add a few comments to Rich's.

I debated and hemmed and hawwed for a long time over which ereader to get.I knew I would buy one, because for as much as I read and commute by train to work, travel by plane for work and fun, and commute back and forth to the mountains for skiing and MTB riding having as much reading material at all times is a MUST. It was a bit of a conundrum trying to decide which to get.

Sony's models are out in retail locations. I played with them a little, but to me they felt clunky and a little bulky. They don't have the keyboard on them, which is kind of nice. I didn't really like the page turn button location on those. I also just found that I wasn't attracted to it. You know? If that spark isn't there on the first date, it probably isn't worth further dates, right? Plus with these units you have to be at your computer downloading books whenever you want them.

The Nook that Rich mentions is also intriguing. I thought about holding out to see what that one was like, but wasn't too keen on picking up a first gen device that is not even shipping yet. That, and they've been sold out of their first run for about a month now and it looks like they won't start shipping until mid-January. It does have a touch interface on the bottom of it which allows you to browse and interact with the device that way, and seems to have a space for an SD card which makes the memory expandable. One thing that I really like about the Nook is that it allows you to share ebooks with another e-reader, thus preserving one of the really fun things about reading; sharing your favorites with friends. That's probably a unit worth looking twice at when it comes out.

As Rich says the size of the QWERTY keyboard on the Kindle seems a little odd given how little one is really likely to type into it. But when I'm reading I don't even know it's there. I think also that there are many more e-book formats that one can easily read on these other readers. Where as Amazon's Kindle is "technically" (although not insurmountably) limited to their version of particular file types. The Kindle's ability to pull newspaper and magazine subscribed content from where ever you are is pretty cool too. I haven't done that yet. I think the Nook does that too, but may require you to be in a hot spot to do so....although they may have just recently changed that.

The cost issues for content are probably going to depend a lot on how publishers and authors, the real owners of the content, come to terms with the new technology and how they fit things like royalty fees and the other costs associated with editing and publishing. There's definitely pressure there so the current model will likely change.

So far with my Kindle I've been able to get books via the Amazon Kindle store that I ordered through the web (and they magically were just there on my Kindle when I turned it on), from the device directly, and have even loaded free ones from my public library!! The latter ones will expire over time, but I'm cool with that. Its just like when I return physical books to the library. Reading on it is awesome! Last night I was even able to read while stretching and doing planks and stuff!!! This might actually help me stretch more.

Generally I agree with Rich that this technology will continue to evolve and that the best is yet to come. I just couldn't hold out any longer...I've been going crazy lugging books with me for too long and the thought of doing so again for my upcoming trip pushed me over the edge. I'm a suck-ah!
  • Options

My sister ordered the Nook for my aunt and mom for Christmas, So i'll let you know about it after Christmas. Keep the reviews coming- I may get one in the spring. I really,really need a Winning lottery ticket!

• Options
    My Aunt received the first gen Kindle for Christmas last year so I got a chance to play around with it while setting it up for her. The screen is very easy on the eyes and having it tie into the Amazon book store makes it a no-brainer. The potential for students, in particulair college, is tremendous and these products could be a boon for newspapers and magazenies whos subscription models are failing.

I beleive that the reason for the price point is the screen. It uses pretty new technology so the price of these types of devices should drop.
  • Options

I'm thinking of this for husband for Christmas.  Glad you guys posted this.  

• Options

I got a Kindle for Mothers day and just love it.  I usually forget that I'm reading on it and not an actual book.

I heard the nook will not have build in internet access but don't know for sure.  On the kindle you can download a book and have it in under a min just like Rich said.  

• Options

Just got Leigh her own Kindle (sssssshhhhh don't tell her), I have had mine for roughly a year. Bought it primarily due to back pain from international travel with large history books (kinda a nerd that way).

Love it, and unfortunately it opens you up to very easy book purchase. I have bought several books I would _never_ buy just cause I can click and start reading. Mostly due to hearing something on the radio on the way home and being interested in the subject. So BE CAREFUL with that cause the bank account -> amazon link is quick and expensive image

However it is great to just lug around and pick up wherever you left off. I tend to have mine with me all the time. Friends of the sony and say it is better since it isn't tied to amazon. That doesn't bother me at all, I have been a happy amazon customer for like 15 years and I really like their philosophical approach to business (my company and it are in similar industries kinda).

So highly recommend, yes they are expensive especially when you factor in all the books you will read. However I think that is a good thing image

Best part? The biggest number of books are, yep you guessed it romance novels. Amazing how many are available. I tend to be into old history books, that is why I had to get Leigh one of her own image hahahahah

-Dave

• Options

I ordered one for husband off of Amazon.com.  at his request, $259 I think.  He travels and reads a lot for work and has stacks of books scattered on his desk as reference... so now he can look at book online in his hotel or on plane etc.  it is also super saving shipping price so no shipping for me.  He also has IPHONE but admitted small screen would be hard for large book!  m

• Options
    The kindle is cool but most of the geek books I like to read aren't available therefore it is now my wife's kindle.

Vince
  • Options

I got a Kindle when they first came out and love it - I travel a lot and being able to several books with me without filling my suitcase is great. I use the free preview feature to try books that I wouldn't risk money on - have discovered several good authors that way.

Also, I subscribe via Google Reader to a blog which highlights free or heavily discounted books on Kindle (authors do that for a day or so to get up the bestseller lists). I just picked up and started reading four free books by Don Brown who wrote the Navy Justice Series - all 4+ star rated books on Amazon (http://booksontheknob.blogspot.com/2009/11/free-books-on-kindle-don-brown.html). 95% of days the free book is of no interest but once a month there is something I like and you can't complain about free!! In fact that book Free by Chris Anderson that Rich mentioned was free on Kindle back in the summer (http://booksontheknob.blogspot.com/2009/07/free-is-free-again-on-kindle-and-sitll.html)!

Chris

• Options

I saw some rumors on the web that Apple is expected to come out with a tablet PC in the spring, which will be an ebook reader as well. They are supposedly offering authors a better deal than Amazon.

If I were the Goodreads guy I'd be checking my mail for a certified letter from Apple or Amazon...seriously.