Home General Training Discussions
Options

WKO+ term clarification

In reading over the "bike week" numbers I see some confusing use of terms and want to clarify my understanding with the group so we are discussing apples and apples.

When forum members are quoting 108% in their data regarding a powermeter measured ride, are we discussing VI or IF? Sometimes I see people quoting their VI's and other times the IF's.

My understanding is that VI is a measure of the variability of the effort for a specific duration and that IF if the intensity of that effort relative to the individuals FTP.

If my understanding is correct then it's the IF that is the metric that we most covet to see above 1.000 over time during the post-ride analysis as this would indicate holding 100% or more of FTP during that duration/interval.  A VI of 1.00 meaning would mean we pegged a number/wattage and held it for the duration of that interval without many dips or spikes from that wattage.

Am I missing something?

Vince

Comments

• Options

If that is the case than I have been CRUSHING it.  Pretty easy to get up into 1.14 land on the trainer 

• Options

You are correct. IF is the intensity factor as a percentage of FTP where as VI is the variability (ratio of normalized power to average power). Aiming for high IF and low VI (close to 1.0 as possible) would generally be most desirable.

• Options

Kevin....we agree with the terms...Thanks.

Vince

• Options

Your IF is 1.14 on the trainer? If that's the case the you are CRUSHING it and you should get a nice bump in your FTP and/or you are pushing it too hard and trashing your run and/or you are cruising to get sick/poor recovery because you are pushing too hard :-).

Vince

• Options

Vince,

I believe Kevin is referring to Indoor watts vs. outdoor watts. What you can do on the trainer pales in comparison to the road. I would say it's best to test to match how you'll train up to the next test (test indoors for indoor training vs. outdoors for road training).