Home Racing Forum 🏎
Options

missed IMAZ RR#1

Hi...  I am not sure the best place to put this post so I apologize if this is not the proper spot.  (I don't think it is but I had to start somewhere.  Please help me re-direct if needed!)  Ultimately my question is about race execution and the practice leading up to it, so here goes... 

First, I missed the RR this week.  I've been battling hip/gluteal pain that had me completely sidelined for a solid two weeks.  I even had to stop swimming because it hurt to kick.  It hurt to walk.  It was ridiculous.  It's been two days that I can now walk without pain in every step.  (woohoo!)  The race rehersal was of course off the table.  I know that since I am only beginning to heal there is really no way to answer this definitively...  (I also realize that ultimately I have to listen to by body and my instincts)  After taking into consideration what my body is telling me (which is hopefully not overly clouded by my mind) are there other good guidelines to assess your preparedness for a) RR #2 and b) the actual race? 

My fear at the moment is that trying RR#2 might be too much of a hit on the hips, simply because I have this big two week gap in my training.  However, that is still 3 weeks away so it really is too early to tell.  Then of course, the big grand fear is about knowing if I can get to the starting line at all. 

I did IMAZ last year, and that was my first ironman.  This IMAZ will be my second.  On the beginniner plan and I was hoping to do better this year, but I have also let that go out in the window in favor of just getting to the starting line (safely). 

I know that ultimately I have to wait and see for more data from my body, but I wanted to just get my fears out here in hopes that feedback will help alleviate the amount that they are chewing on me... 

Thanks so much... 

Comments

• Options
    Julia - you may have to make a hard decision. If you are able to ease back into the program over the next week, and get in weeks 8 and 9 on track, you should try to do RR#2. And I do mean IF! Don't hurt yourself trying to get to the starting line. And if you can't do RR#2, then I would recommend pulling the plug. There will be other days and I don't think it's worth risking a long term injury to struggle through to the finish. That's my 2 cents.
  • Options

Thanks for your two cents...  I was kind of thinking along those lines too. I figured if I wasn't up for RR #2, then by extension, I was probably not up for the race.  I will have to see how things go over the next few weeks. 

• Options
    Julia- You may or may not be aware that we had other athlete's in the house that ended up with 2 weeks of no exercise due to life circumstances, right smack in the middle of IM training. If this were your first IM, I'd be more cautious with advice. Also, thoughts might change as you figure out why you have so much pain.

BUT- if you can train now, then get back into it and perhaps post a question to the coaches about restructuring the next week or two. Also, you will definitely need to adjust your race expectations. No PR. Just get to the line healthy and have a fun day.
  • Options

Thanks for your thoughts as well.  I think I have a good handle on the factors that caused this whole thing, and am working on getting them fixed as I prepare for easing back into it.  I agree that holding to a hope of a PR is pretty unrealistic and asking for problems.  I appreciate the encouragement, and would really like to get back into training.  It's great to hear different people's ideas and thoughts, so keep 'em coming...  image  Thanks!

• Options

hi julia,

i had a bad crash on the bike before on oct 5th before IMAZ 2008. I had horrible road rash, 3rd degree skin abrasions, and required surgery and hardware installed in my hand.  the surgery was on oct 11 or so.  i was cleared on the wednesday of race week, but still had skin abrasions, some open, and did not sleep a wink the night before.

my training was just a bunch of spinning classes with one hand on the bar.  no swim until the week before and some runs but with mortal fear of falling and ruining my hand, so not exactly quality runs.

i raced, but with the perspective that i would do as best as i could.  racing with this perspective really helped me enjoy the day.  it was the best time in a race i ever had, since i could wave to my family/friends and every step forward was a victory!  usually i am all stressed out and trying not to mess up the plan, but in this race i was a bit more relaxed.  still focused on doing everything well and not hurting myself, but not so much pressure to PR, etc.

As for the hip, train intelligently.  for the swim, don't kick or kick minimally.  many top en swimmers don't kick or kick minimally.  for the bike, get less aero on the bike if it helps relieve pressure.  for the run, run perfectly and don't over do it.  if the weeks go by and you have no return of the pain, then enjoy the day!

if the pain comes back, then you did all you could and with your head held high, live to race another day!

Be well and good luck.

GH

• Options

@gilberto- very good words to live by!

I started on this journey last winter and did ok on the bike in the off season (nothing like a EN OS mind you) started swimming in Feb and had a recurring calf injury that only afffected my running from february through a serious round of PT in late august, early.

Coach Rich tweaked a plan for me and i am on track. I did a HIM right around the time i was finishing PT, turned in a good swim time (for me) a great bike and planned on doing a combination of running and walking on the run course. towards the end, i could feel that if i took one more run step at times i would have pulled my calf out again. it felt demoralizing to be walking alone in the back of the times, but i executed my plan, finished to my adjusted goals, learned alot for my IMAZ and still actually beat 30% of the 45-49 age group.

For me IMAZ is about finishing my first IM, continuing on my new journey of fitness and looking forward to '11 (I signed up for LV already) and really getting in shape to turn in respectable times!

• Options
    @Julia, I think gilberto's advice is right on. Step one is getting back to the routine. Step two is getting back to the intensity you hope to do. Step three is a race rehearsal. Step four is the race.

IF you can only run 30' perfectly no pain before it goes south, that's what you do. Some of my best races have come after forced time off...you are doing the right thing by standing down and taking a conservative approach back! Feel free to map out your thoughts and we can add/edit!!!

Patrick