Home Racing Forum 🏎
Options

first IM - race day plan (for IMFL)

Hi - was hoping to get some feedback on my race plan.  I've run this by a few people already and made some tweaks based on their excellent advice (thanks to Nemo, Kit, Suzanne - and a DC Tri friend)...

off the top, I do have a few questions since I'm new to this dance:  (1)  is there a time towards the end of the bike that I should stop taking in Infinit (that has protein) to prep for the run?  if so, when?  and why?  (2) along the same lines - is there a transition period when I get on the bike when I shouldn't try to stomach the infinit or am I safe to go ahead and drink it at my first 15' alarm?  I feel like I read somewhere that there is a protocol, but I don't remember/can't find it.  (3) and MOST IMPORTANTLY - I'd really appreciate some advice re: what to do if I have GI issues or cramping issues on the bike or run.  I've been really lucky (or unlucky, depending on how you look at it) to not have experienced any problems like this during any marathon, any HIM RR (when it was wicked hot this summer), any HIM, or my 2 IM RRs... so I'm not entirely sure what I could/should do and it's hard to visualize a solution to a problem I've not had to deal with. 

OK, here's my race plan.  sorry this is long.  I did it as a word doc so I can keep it, edit it, and use it for future races (as opposed to a google doc).  Thanks for your time and feedback!

RACE DAY

1:30am smoothie

4:30am wakeup

eat (coffee, bagel, pnut butter, banana)

sunscreen

body glide neck, arms, feet, wrists, ankles, chamois

get dressed

bag balm any place that wet suit will rub (neck!!)

WHAT I NEED BEFORE LEAVING ROOM:

wetsuit

goggles

cap

2 SN bags (filled)

1 infinit bottle for bike

2 water bottles to fill speedfil

Garmin (either on or for bike gear bag)

water to drink

gel x2 (pre-swim, lap 1)

dry clothes bag (to drop off/give to Dan – after I put on wetsuit/take off clothes)

5:30ish go to transition

go to body marking

drop off SN bags

*if wear long wet suit, put Garmin in bike gear bag

put infinit bottle on bike

fill speedfil with water (put empty bottles in dry clothes bag)

pump tires

6:00-6:30 go to beach

put on wetsuit

tuck gel into suit for rest stop after 1st loop

give dry clothes bag to Dan

keep on socks (take off before race start)

walk over timing mat

?get in water to acclimate?

try to seed self on beach with other 1:15-1:20 swimmers

eat gel/drink water

7:00am RACE START

SWIM:

stay in box

swim only as fast as ability to maintain form

lap 1:  get water, rinse off face/rinse out mouth; drink as needed

T1:  SLOW IS SMOOTH, SMOOTH IS FAST

get back, go to back away from crowd

towel off

put on Garmin/turn on OR switch to bike mode and call up workout

work from the bottom up:

socks

bike jersey (?)

?base layer

?rain jacket?

?arm warmers

bib belt, flip around back

beanie

helmet

sunglasses

carry shoes/run in socks to pick up bike

put wetsuit, goggles, cap in T1 bag (or give to volunteer to help)

put unused equip in ziplock and then in T1 bag; give bag to volunteer

out of tent make sure Garmin is reading, select bike workout

put on shoes

mount bike; hit start on watch

BIKE:  RIDE THE RIDE YOU SHOULD NOT THE RIDE YOU COULD

use Garmin IM ride program

first 60' warm up/easy spin

remainder Z1/Z2 – remember, race doesn't start til mile 18 of run

alarms set for 15' increments (for nutrition)

nutrition/hydration

sip infinit every 15' along with sitting up/stretching

S! Cap every hour with lots of water

if needed: banana on course or hammer bar (bento)

total intake:

per hour: cal = 231; sodium 685 (infinit + S Cap)

infinit 3 hour bottle = 24 oz total

always drinking water with infinit and S Cap

speedfil holds 40 oz water

at BSN change infinit bottles, refill speedfil, stand up/stretch!

after 5.25 hours take 3 sport legs

T2:  SLOW IS SMOOTH, SMOOTH IS FAST

after hand off bike, take off shoes/run in socks to tent

get bag and go to back

sit down

take off, socks

take off helmet, beanie

change shirt

put on visor, sunglasses on visor

?change shorts – to clean shorts or tights

put on CEP or socks

put on shoes

Newtons

body glide as needed

spray sunscreen if volunteers busy

put gear into T2 bag – give to volunteer

heading out of T2, change watch to run setting and get workout

flip bib belt around to front

if water available, take gel (in T2 bag) – otherwise wait til water available

hit start on watch as cross mat

RUN:

first 6 miles are easy – Z1+30' = ~10:52 (remember, giving up 3' to save lots more) – try not to be faster than 10:32, walk as needed in 30" increments to slow down the pace

if hot – adjust up by 30" (shooting for 11:22, not faster than 11:00)

mile 6-18, shoot for Z1 = ~10:22; try not to be faster than 10:00

if hot, adjust up 30" (10:52, not faster than 10:32)

mile 18+, do what you can do... try not to slow down, this is when the race starts!

count people as you pass them

pick people ahead of you to try to catch up to, then on to the next target

mile 25ish – take off reflective gear and tuck in back of belt/shorts (for picture)

Nutrition:

200-250cal/hour:

Perform drink – 8oz every other aid station (~210 cal; 570 sodium)

OR powerbar gel – 1 every 3 aid stations (~220 cal; 400 sodium)

1 S! Cap per hour with at least 1 cup water (341 sodium)

totals:

210-220 cal per hour

741-911 mg sodium per hour

plan ahead for water stops – know what you need and go to the last possible table

every aid station: water

even aid stations – 8oz perform followed by water

oranges, soup, pretzels, soda  as needed (if take soup, skip the S!cap)

walk for 30" to eat/drink, then get moving again

Run Special Needs

option 1:

change socks if needed (put old socks in bag)

body glide as needed

put on arm warmers

tie shirt around waist

put on reflective vest

take/put on gloves

take head lamp

option 2:

change socks if needed (put old socks in bag)

body glide as needed

put on long sleeve shirt

put on reflective vest

take/put on gloves

take headlamp

option 3:

change socks if needed

body glide as needed

tie shirt around waist

tuck arm warmers into shorts

tuck gloves into shorts

put on reflective vest

take headlamp

Post Race Admin

6:30pm-12am:  bike and gear recovery (MUST be picked up Sat night)

?6-11pm:  bike drop off at TBT

remove pedals

remove rear cage

remove bento box

Comments

• Options
    Looks real good, the only thing I would be leery about is the gel tucked into your wetsuit unless you have tried it and don't get chafed. The salt water can be a different animal for chafing in a wetsuit.
  • Options
    http://members.endurancenation.us/Community/Forums/tabid/101/aff/25/aft/3608/afv/topic/Default.aspx#3608

Becky check out the site I have listed above. Gets into the nausea, gastrointestinal issues.

Best of luck to you!!!!!
  • Options
    Sorry for the repeat post but go towards the bottom of the article. Very detailed with specific intructions.

http://members.endurancenation.us/C....aspx#3608

• Options

Becky - Finally, it's here!

It sounds like (a) your biggest concern is possible GI issues and (b) you seem to have a very well behaved GI system. Same for myself - I've never had a side stitch, much less any nausea or vomiting in 17 IMs and 5 marathons, to say nothing of HIMs. Part of it is training, part of it is good nutrition on a daily basis, and part of it is managing intake during the race itself.

First, you don't say anything about your diet the day before the race. I have had excellent results ever since I started going totally liquid after lunch the day before an IM. For "dinner", I have about 600-900 calories worth of Jamba Juice smoothie about 5-6 PM. That's it. It's worth thinking about.

Next, you plan to take a gel midway thru the swim. Me, I seem to be still digesting my morning meal and pre-race gel during the swim, and think another get midway might be overkill, and asking for trouble. I'd take the gel in T1 on the way out instead.

You ask, "Should I wait before taking my first nutrition on the bike, or jump right in at 15 minutes". Some people advise "waiting until your HR stabilizes" which may be 5-30 minutes. With the "leisurely" T1 you are planning, I suggest trying some water at the 15 minute mark, and if it feels good, then go for the Infinit as well.

You wonder "Is there a point at the end of the bike when I should STOP the Infint"? What I've found is the farther along I go in the bike, the less I want to "eat", so I try to front load my calories just a touch (say 275/hour instead of 225-250), as I find that I either won't or can't take in 200 in the last hour. What you should NOT do is try to "make up" any perceived calorie deficit at the end of the bike - that will haunt you on the run.

RnP always say at their pre-race talk, "We've never heard of someone who had a problem taking too FEW calories on the bike or run. We DO see problems with taking too much."

Which leads me to my biggest caveat for you: I think your plans for calories on the run are too aggressive. Your muscles and thus blood flow away from the GI tract are working harder and harder as the run goes along, reducing your system's ability to absorb calories. Don't try to force feed yourself, just to follow some pre-set number.

Coke and Chicken soup broth are your friends on the run, the more so the longer the day goes. Give them a try! (But not at the same time)

And finally, I think a lot of people do best with NO solid foods of any kind during the whole race - no bananas, oranges, bars, pretzels, gummy bears, whatever. The perform, Coke, and emergency gel will give you all the calories you need, and you may need to watch out how much you are taking via that perform - it's easy to overload your GI system with liquid carbs on the run as you try to keep up with fluid needs.

Good luck, and smile for us at the finish!

• Options

Yay Becky - can't wait to track your race!

Like you I don't generally have GI issues - I like Al's advice - go for less. Totally agree about the no gel needed mid-swim and is just one more thing to think of. Maybe sip infinit/gatorade pre-race. I brought a clif bar on the bike and ate 1/2 and prob didn't need it at all. Not saying don't bring it, but maybe don't be concerned if you find you don't need it.

T1 - is there a reason you are running in socks to the bike? Too slippery? I just wouldn't want your feet to possibly get wet from the get-go. Also easier to put your shoes on when you are sitting in T1.

T2 - same thought about gel in T2 bag - maybe put it in there, but you may just want to leave it and get to the first aid station. Again, one less thing to think about.

For both T1&2  I think you can just leave your closed bag on the ground, the volunteers will get it.

FWIW, I look back and think my T2 was a bit too lesuirely. It was one thing that could have made a difference between going over 13hrs or going under that was under my control. I'm certainly not beating myself up about it, but I learned a lot! There is the continuum b/tween speed and comfort that RnP talk about in Ts - I would say plan for some comfort, but take advantage of the speed if you feel you can!

Tri-bike transport = awesome!

You are SO ready! Go, go go!!!

• Options

Looks good, Becky!

1. Remember to bodyglide around the race belt, too, and along any seams on shorts, too. The EN ladeez top + race belt can equal ouchy abrasions.

2. What Al said about run nutrition. All I can add is that race rehearsals definitely did not prepare me for the delicate flower of a stomach I would have on the run. I just took in what seemed appealing on the course and it all worked out.

• Options
    I used the GU under the sleeve trick for IMFL and it worked quite well. But I also practiced taking that GU half way through a RR swim so I knew I'd be OK. If you've tried it- go for it, but as always- don't do anything you haven't practiced.

Can't wait to follow you on race day Becky! You are ready!
  • Options

thanks everyone!

@Carl - I re-read Kit's hydration/nutrion article... I should print it and take it with me to look over at least one more time, maybe Friday night to keep it in my head (will do that now... and add it to my list to pack it in my race stuff folder).

@Dan/Nemo - I've never tried a gel during the swim (I added per Nemo's suggestion as it seemed sensible)... perhaps not the best time to try something new!  Not only for chaffing issues but for GI issues... who knows how I'll handle the salt water let alone a gel with salt water.

@Al - thanks for the responses and ideas.  I don't think too much perform will be a problem... I'm really more of a water person.. I need to remember to take the calories in - so I think starting with every other stop and then adjusting as the run goes on (the numbers listed were based on 3 8oz cups per hour... unlikely I'll actually drink 8 oz at a given water stop)... potentially decreasing the calories as the day goes as necessary.

@Aimee- T1, from what I hear, the run to the bike mount is pretty long... which is hard to do in cleats, I'll scope it out.  if it's wet (i.e., raining, the shoes will be on and I'll walk it).  T2 I'm used to having a gel as I start the run - it will depend on where there's water.  I'm not a fan of the powerbar gel, but I have taken it to try out... so having one in my bag in a flavor I like (montana huckleberry) will be a treat after all that darn lemon lime infinit... we'll see...

@Beth - thanks for the reminder about body glide - I have had the bib belt/fuel belt chafe lines before (not realizing it til I hit the shower)... and I remember seeing yours after IMWI.  Will add that to my getting dressed list right now!

• Options
    Last year's transitions were loooong, all the better to fit another 400 athletes into the space allowed. I'm pretty dang fast in transition; I put my bike shoes on in there and quickly clopped my way out to my bike; one less time to sit down then stand back up.
  • Options

Becky- You are going to do GREAT!!!!!. You are very prepared! All great responses!

Others have said- if you did not Train with gel during swim, wouldn't do it. Add salt water, if you swallow- may possibly contribute to upset stomach

• Options
    I agree with Al. Your planned run calories are way too high. Probably shouldn't take in more cals per hour on the run than bike. Your absorption rate is less on the run because your HR and exertion level is higher than the bike. Probability for disaster is pretty high there. Everyone is different but I take in about 60% of the cals on the run than I do on the bike.
  • Options
    Becky - you might want to get a thermal lunch pack and put your infinit bottles along with a small reusable ice pack in it and put it in your BSN bag - it'll be nice and cold by the time you get there.