Home General Training Discussions
Options

Power Software for Mac

I am about to purchase my PT from Rich and I realized that WKO+ is NOT compatible with the Mac.  My entire life runs on a Mac, both business and home.  I'm looking for recommendation for a software analysis tool that will work with the Mac.  Does anyone just use the PowerAgent software that comes from Saris (and is free with a PT purchase)?

Thanks in advance for the input!

Comments

• Options

A lot of Mac users will use something like Parallels or VMware Fusion to run Windows virtually on their Macs. PowerAgent does not provide the same level of information as WKO.

• Options

If I remember correctly, both R&P are Mac guys and run WKO as Matt describes.  Get WKO- Power Agent just doesn't perform the same function

• Options
    I run WKO and Sports Trac on my Mac with parallels. The latter is able to do power stuff but I'm still new at it and playing. image
  • Options

Ah, as a new powermeter user and mac owner, I just played this game:

1. I use VM Ware Fusion. It behaves beautifully. Plus, it is fun to see little PC icons in the Mac dock.

2. When you install a new version of Windows, DO NOT CHOOSE 64-bit Windows 7. At least not yet. Powertaps and 64-bit Windows 7 are not friends. Saris keeps promising a patch, but it is long overdue. 32-bit Windows 7 is fine.

3. Bonus prize: If you have a Garmin, running Garmin Training Center on the PC side works way better. GTC for Mac = scary.

• Options

I am curious that if the Joule comes out from Saris with IF, TSS, etc if that means Power Agent will start to incorporate those metrics and by extension if they will become available on the Mac through updated versions of Power Agent.

• Options

My wonderful geeky husband set up a virtual machine with Fusion VM ware and it works beautifully.  Only issue had was that the system wasn't recognizing my USB device but DH then rolled his eyes and showed me how to click on the the little icon thingy to get that to work too.  Love love love my geeky husband.....ok..well there was one other issue and that's that the VMware is on the basement computer and inevitably my daughter is on that Mac when I need/want to upload a workout.....and trust me...it's like waking the sleeping giant to ask her to get off.  

• Options
    Wow, I am truly amazed at how fast the team answers questions (and with so many solutions). THANK YOU! I will research all the solutions mentioned and make a decision that will fit my system best. I'm very excited to get the PT and start "really" training. Clearly I made the right choice in joining EN!
  • Options

Per the Dec Cyclops newsletter, yes the new version of Poweragent coming first quarter 2010 will have those metrics so no need for nasty Windows on the Mac. 

• Options
    Another VMWare Fusion user here. Right now WKO+ is the only game in town for power. When the new PowerAgent for Mac actually ships, there'll be the inevitable bugs, and we don't know if it will offer all of what WKO+ does (PMC???).

As someone that tries to spend a little time in Windows as possible, I can tell you that either Parallels or VMware will be a fairly harmless (although somewhat frustrating at times) endeavor.

Be sure to add on the Power Webinar as well, there's a whole lot of information in it that will put you way ahead of the Power/WKO+ learning curve.
  • Options

And just FYI, Garmin Training Center has a new beta version for mac that's pretty great.  The previous version definitely sucked.  Can download the new version from the garmin website.

• Options
    Posted By Michele Moreno on 08 Dec 2009 09:19 PM

And just FYI, Garmin Training Center has a new beta version for mac that's pretty great.  The previous version definitely sucked.  Can download the new version from the garmin website.

Agreed on the new version of Mac GTC. While not great software, it's certainly useable now. i used to dread having to click on that Icon.

Has anyone else tried Ascent? Before using a power meter this was my go to application for all of my training. Great GPS features. The developer is extremely responsive to bugs, comments and suggestions.

• Options
    Posted By Cary Blanco on 08 Dec 2009 09:29 PM

Has anyone else tried Ascent? Before using a power meter this was my go to application for all of my training. Great GPS features. The developer is extremely responsive to bugs, comments and suggestions.

Ascent is a decent product, unless you have power. If we could convince the developer to include this feature then this might be a decent replacement for WKO+.

• Options

Ive been playing around with RaceDay (On Mac) and it looks interesting.   They are supposed to have a new version out in January which may make for a decent replacement of WKO (WKO is driving me nuts because it doesn't parse the Garmin 310xt data properly.)    I've use Mac /Parallels /WKO for several years with my Ergomo and never had any issues.  

• Options
    Posted By Peter Giesin on 09 Dec 2009 01:34 PM
    Posted By Cary Blanco on 08 Dec 2009 09:29 PM

Ascent is a decent product, unless you have power. If we could convince the developer to include this feature then this might be a decent replacement for WKO+.

IIRC the new Power features for Ascent will be coming early 2010. I do not believe it it in any way be able to go up against WKO+, but I do believe they were looking to incorporate IF, VI, TSS pNorm and pAvg on a per ride analysis.

• Options
    Posted By Mark Baumli on 09 Dec 2009 07:11 PM

Ive been playing around with RaceDay (On Mac) and it looks interesting.   They are supposed to have a new version out in January which may make for a decent replacement of WKO (WKO is driving me nuts because it doesn't parse the Garmin 310xt data properly.)    I've use Mac /Parallels /WKO for several years with my Ergomo and never had any issues.  

Mark- I could never get my Ergomo to talk to my Mac/Parallels/WKO. Did you have to do anything special? What is your exact sequence when downloading?

Thanks!

• Options

Gina,   I really didn't do anything special to set up my Mac/Parellels/WKO.   I just installed the drivers for the ergomo in the paralllels/windows virtual machine and it has worked.  I do follow a few specific steps that were recommended by the WKO folks

1)  open virtual machine (Windows)

2) open WKO, select device

3) attach the Ergomo cable (it is actually the ergomo cable, into to the serial to USB cable) into the mac USB port.

4) turn on the ergomo unit and plug it into the cable

5)  somewhere in the process I get a message that windows has recognized the new device.  With the Ergomo it usually happens after I plug in, but with the Garmin (for the 305) it comes as soon as I select 305 device and USB port

6) hit download...   the only issue I ever had over 2 years of use was a faulty ergomo serial cable... actually it wasn't faulty, I broke it as the wires are a bit fragile at the point the cable plugs into the ergomo head unit.

I'm not the most technically adept person and was able to figure this out without too much effort so it can't be too difficult.   I think lots of folks around the haus use the parallels/mac/wko/ergomo set up.

• Options

I just sent Rich my check for the PT/wheel!!! Can't wait. Thanks for all the advice and feedback.