Home Group Discussion-OutSeason November 2010
Options

Week 4 bike

As per modified schedule did Tuesday's workout today:

10' warmup (169)

2x12' 95-100% FTP (245/246)with 4' easy (164/163)

15' 80-85% FTP (206)

3' cooldown (163)

Entire workout .88 RI

Legs felt a little slow to warmup after standing around 6 hrs cheering on some friends at Philly marathon and a longish drive home courtesy of traffic by Exit 7 on the NJTP but got it done.

Cheers

Ian

Comments

• Options

Was in Baltimore from Thursday evening to Sunday afternoon for a friends wedding. My liver is glad to be back. Pretty pumped with today's workout. Two weeks until state champs. 

The advanced plan called for a 2 X 15' (4') was not jazzed to see that on the calendar cause I know what the next step is....

Called up Grooveshark and universal sports and some European CX races and went to work. 

26' @ .95 , 4' Recovery , Mainset of 2 X 15' both at 1.03' . I turned the 15' into over/unders. You ride @ FTP and throw in surges up to V02max for 20" or so and recover back @ FTP. I want some CX specific sets....

Entire workout (216 watts):

Duration:   1:11:58

Work:       981 kJ

TSS:       110.8 (intensity factor 0.961)

Norm Power: 240

VI:         1.06

• Options
    I did the Tuesday bike today too, due to accidentally resting on Sunday. Note to self: do workout before going to wine tasting! I think today's 2x15' was actually my best session yet. Only took 12' warmup with 3 1' efforts. I found today that to get my HR up, I really need to take a 15-30 seconds and really go hard, like to z5, and then my HR is easier to get and maintain into z4. I got HR into solid mid-high z4 territory, and kept it there for both of the 15' sessions. I took Coach P's advice from the podcast and broke it up into chunks. (3x5) and focused on the intermediate goals of finishing those 5 min efforts. Made it much easier mentally. Then 10' z3 at the end while ignoring Lord of the Rings on t.v.

No brick run due to forgetting to take my running shoes to work. I'll tack on a run tomorrow. I'm doing a bike focus early this week, then run focus over the weekend to give my tight hamstring a break, and not have to take the bike to Thanksgiving. I did convince my family to bike the C&O canal over the holiday weekend!
  • Options
    Did bike today, but no run. After run yesterday and basketball last night just didn't want to run
  • Options

Good bike this morning, 2x12 @ .99 and .988 followed by an easy 15 min run.  I finally set up a fan in my pain cave/garage so I'm no longer dripping in sweat at the end of the workout.

• Options

Got the 2x15' done today but no run.  Looking forward to riding outside Thursday - my indoor numbers are crap.  That said, today was probably the best indoor ride I've had so far.

• Options
    Got mine done...2x15'@103% and 101%, 12'@88%, total workout 1:01@80%...getting stronger...should be up 5% or so from start by the end of next week...on track for 6-8% improvement by week 8 test
  • Options
    Managed to get out bed and get the bike done before work today. 2x15 at 233 and 231 and 12 at 193. Hard but even effort. I know I messed up my initial test. First trainer ride this fall, first ride with power, tired at the end of the day, etc. Intial test at FTP at 204. I am rolling with the idea that as long as the efforts are even and can be repeated then the targets are okay. I am looking at the first 8 weeks as getting use to everything and then getting some good info in the week 8 tests. Any thoughts.
  • Options

Not real pretty but got it done.  6 minutes w/u and got right to it.  Came through the first one at 301, the second was weaker at 292.  Some good work in regardless.  15 minutes was not as bad as I thought it might be.  Was not sure how to do strides on the TM so after 5 minutes easy I did 7 x 1 min at 7:30/1 min at 6:00 pace.  Idea was to keep loose for Thursday am.  

Think I will go to masters tonight and maybe the Thurs bike intervals tomorrow.

• Options
    Ugh, I blew up today and only managed one set of z4 and some z3 time. My YLC has been giving me some trouble, so I was aiming for higher numbers and aimed too high and couldn't finish. Oh well, going to have a massage for my hamstrings tonight, so hopefully Thursday's bike will go better.
  • Options

Did my 2x15 this morning at 241 and 242 watts. Skipped the 85% but ran 3 miles in 24 minutes. Skipped the strides too. Just felt like running easy.

• Options
    I took yesterday completely off after running hard three days in a row, so I felt like crap this morning and could not get going. I did a longer than normal warmup and then did the 2 x 15 at 1.00. I did not 85% work, but jumped right on the treadmill and had a great 25' run. I immediately felt comfortable and smooth. Did the 5 strides at the end with 8% grade. Then I did a 6th at 10% just to prove I could and it actually was not as hard as I expected.
  • Options
    (Adv) I missed 2x15' last night (well "missed" might not be the right word), but will do them in place of the 2x12's we have next.

Got track tonight!!! To quote Ricky Bobby "I wanna go FAST!"
  • Options
    Well I can see and feel that my bike is improving. As I have said in the past and again this is my weakest of the three discipline for me. I started the season with my FTP at 171.

The entire ride was 1:01:21 with a TSS of 79.2 and IF of .884
    We did the ten minute warm up and here we just talk and visit about issues. We dont push or hit any numbers here. We then did the 3x3 and kept our power in the 80-85% range.

2x12: Number 1 was with a Norm power of 175, TSS 20.9 and IF of 1.022. Average HR was 156 and cadence of 80.

Number 2 was with a Norm power of 176, TSS 21.2, and IF of 1.028. Average HR was 157 and cadence of 78.

Ten minutes left to make an hour I ended up riding at IF .85 with a norm power of 145. Felt really easy and I wanted to push it but knew I had to run afterwards.

My weight kind of got out of control so when I run I have been having some lower back issues. I am hammering home the body composition part and by March 20th have a goal to weigh 160.

Well off to South Dakota to the in laws. Packing up the pain cave and taking it with me.

• Options
    I finally set up a fan in my pain cave/garage so I'm no longer dripping in sweat at the end of the workout.
    No kidding. By the end of the workout I no longer need a headband for my bangs because they're glued down with sweat.

2x12 this morning and, due to travel and a Turkey Trot, I gotta do it again tomorrow. Ugh.
  • Options
    Good ride today and relaxing run with Riley after.
    2x12@FTP210: 1.035, 1.046
    1x15: .844

1x14:45@goal8:49 actual 8:27
  • Options
    took longer to warm up today. I did 10 min easy and then did 3x3 at zone 4. Then the 2x15 hard. My HR was lower than normal. I still pushed hard and the watts were good. I woke up later and had a real breakfast since I am off for the week. Not sure what caused lower HR.

Then 20 min easy run. Boy do I like those easy runs. All the rest of the week I am running in Z3 and Z4 which is MUCH harder than the easy zone.

Strides went pretty good.

Happy training
  • Options
    Great ride today. I raised my FTP after looking at the Power Distribution charts in WKO. The new zones felt fine, all within reach.

12' @ 172W, IF: 0.997
    12' @ 175W, IF: 1.013
    12' @ 144W, IF: 0.833
    Total bike: 1:00:00 @ 151W, IF: 0.873

Run 15' @ Z1 including 5 x 20" strides on hills.

Feeling great!
  • Options
    Brick done.

Good bike, felt fresher (?) today and pushed the effort. I think I'm recognizing that a gearing/cadence has some effect on getting HR to match RPE.
    w/u
    2x12' spot on (4')
    1x16' z3 steady
    off the bike, up the stairs, pour the 14 year old into the truck to get to his workout, and do the ez brick run (15') while he gets crushed. used available hills for strides.

hamstring better but will still be cautious for the next couple of weeks, continuing PT.
  • Options
    Is the general EN guidance on cadence to be >85?

This morning didn't go quite as well to start but rocked through it. 2x12 (4') with a 16 min w'up (10 E then 3x1(1') at FTP). Got in about 10 minutes at 85% then a 15' run with strides (no hills).

Think my legs are still a tad tired from Sunday. The extra 15' at Z3 (just 15 seconds slower than T pace) adds up quick!
  • Options

Got mine in today.  Feeling a bit under the weather - one of those sore throats you can ignore with an aspirin.  Two kids have had to stay home from school for a day each, so obviously something going around. Didn't feel as strong today, at least on the bike; I assume this is the explanation....still got it done

I bailed on a long 85% time because of a time crunch and knowing that I'd have to run a bit farther in order to get to my local hill.  A crisp 24 degrees out there!

Ride

• 15 min @ 241 W 1.03
    • 15 min @ 240 W 1.02
    • overall 50 minutes, 219 W NP, 0.93 IF

Run

• 4.5 mi in 37 min - easy pace
    • 6 50-right-foot strides up my hill.  I lost count...honestly.  How dopey is that?

Run felt better than the bike

• Options
    It ended up being a gorgeous day here in North TX, it's 75 degrees right now, high of 80 expected (yes, this IS November), so I'm gonna bail out of work earlier than usual and get OUTSIDE for a bike ride. Maybe followed by a track workout, but who knows.
  • Options

Some amazing atheletes and just plain mentally tough individuals in this group.  Hopefully I will be able to meet some of you at next year's races?  I really enjoy reading your posts and feeding off of your strength and mojo!

I fought through a day of food poisoning yesterday – 7 trips to the bathroom and chills/fever.  I was able to keep down some soup last night.

Felt about 60% this morning and weak but no more bathroom issues.  Got about 5 hours of sleep.  I think I lost between 8-9 lbs. of water weight in the process, so definitely a good way to flush the system as well as practice mental toughness.  In a weird, sick way, I actually seem to look forward to these scenarios to test myself under these conditions......

Had a 2X15’ Z4 so thought I would try and see what I could get through.  I got the WU and the first 15’ @ .96 but knew I was most likely not going to complete the 2nd interval @ Z4 and maintain consciousness at the same time.  I made it through 12’ @ .96 before basically losing it.  Laid on the floor a few minutes then ran and struggled to hit the easy pace.

I think I will be about 95% in the morning.  I am tired today but over the hump now, able to eat small amounts and keep it down. 

Entire workout (199 watts):

Duration:           55:30

TSS:                  67.8 (intensity factor 0.86)

Norm Power:    220

Distance:          18.616 mi

Min     Max    Avg

Power:              0         287     199     watts

Cadence:          31       153     81       rpm

Speed:              0         24.9    20.1    mph

RUN:

connect.garmin.com/activity/57703788

• Options
    Woke up early this morning - very tired - but forced myself downstairs. Once I was on the bike, things clicked and it went very well. This time I stopped worrying about the power range I'm "supposed" to be in and instead focused on what I could "push". The results are still at home (will post later), but I know I managed to be close to 110% on each interval.

I think I'm starting to hit the groove of continuous training. It usually takes me a few weeks to get going and now I'm feeling the "mojo"!

• Options
    Dang, all I could remember this morning was that it was 12' instead of 10'; I guessed the rest and guessed wrong, only gave myself 2' between bike intervals and assumed the brick was a Z2/Z3 out and back. Next time I'll read the training plan, oops.
    18' warmup
    12' @ 218W, IF 1.06, 85RPM
    12' @ 216W, IF 1.05, 87RPM
    12' @ 184W, IF 0.89, 89RPM
    Total bike 61' @ 188W, IF 0.91, 86RPM, TSS 82.8
    Run out 8:00 NGP 7:09, Back 7:42 NGP 7:09 midway between Z2/Z3 rTSS 22.2
  • Options
    Posted By Matt Ancona on 23 Nov 2010 08:49 AM

I took yesterday completely off after running hard three days in a row, so I felt like crap this morning and could not get going. I did a longer than normal warmup and then did the 2 x 15 at 1.00. I did not 85% work, but jumped right on the treadmill and had a great 25' run. I immediately felt comfortable and smooth. Did the 5 strides at the end with 8% grade. Then I did a 6th at 10% just to prove I could and it actually was not as hard as I expected.

Just to summarize Matt's comments"  "I felt like crap but decided to kick some ass anyway....!"

• Options

Did today's Brick following Sun-Mon training (shifted Sat-Sun due to travel last week), so third day of training.  Held on for dear life on the last 2min of the second 12min interval on the bike.  Run was very nice and strides were AMAZING...great form uphill at about 90+ RPM and about 5:00/mile (TP is 7:53). 

How fast/hard should the strides be BTW?

Bike Total wko: TSS 61, IF 0.83, NP 159, VI 1.1, HR 122

2x12' @ Z4 (185W) = NP 184/184, Cad 87/88, VI 1/0.99, HR 130/136

• Options

Still tweaking the schedule, but came up short. So on EN faith, I focused on the main set:

Wup: 15' with 3X3'(1') and spin-ups

MS: 2X12'(4") @ bottom of Z4 then at the top of Z4

Cd: 3'

Run: 15' at Z1 and worked some strides

Managed to stop sweating while driving about halfway to work. It's like summer here in San Antonio!

• Options

Starting to notice the legs don't bounce back as quickly as they used to.   Have been carrying soreness after the intense runs longer than I would like to.  I have been thinking about stringing 2-3 days off in a row after completing every 3 or 4 weeks of the program.

Was going to take today off but couldn't bring myself to do it. Got the 2 X 15's in @ 247 and 246 rode for 1:05:00 total and followed it up with a 30 min. slow run with no strides.

Will either take a few days off this weekend or at the beginning of next week.   I've played this game long enough to know how important recovery is especially at the age of 47 now.  

Last year I did not want to miss any workouts in the OS.  This year I would rather keep the intensity up during all workouts by taking those needed days off, rather than see the watts and pace fall, because I'm carrying to much fatigue.  

Knowing and doing are 2 different things.  If you don't read that I've taken these needed days off would someone please come to NH and kick me in the nutz.

• Options
    Posted By Bob Arsenault on 23 Nov 2010 06:32 PM

Starting to notice the legs don't bounce back as quickly as they used to.   Have been carrying soreness after the intense runs longer than I would like to.  I have been thinking about stringing 2-3 days off in a row after completing every 3 or 4 weeks of the program.

Bob - I am thinking about taking next week easy since I am travelling to Seattle for the same reason. Hate to ruin all this great progress by overtraining!

• Options
    Got it done also even thiough issues with the joule (battery not charging) 1st was at 1.02 and the 2nd was around the same but joule went out on me but the CT showed same watts. Last 12' at around .87 or .88 according to CT.

25 min. run after went easy and the strides felt good at the end with the TM cracked to 12mph @ 2% for 30sec. with 30sec. rest for the final 5 minutes.

Good job everyone!! with all the efforts being put out there is going to be some awesome improvements come next test day.