Home General Training Discussions
Options

Pain in my butt (really)

I have been dealing with a tight left hip for the past few weeks. I think that was caused by a few lazy months that my body was not used to. Now, 6 weeks into the OS my left hip is feeling much better but this week I have a deep pain in my left glute.

After a little searching on the net I am thinking it is either my piriformis or upper hamstring. (I know I have pretty tight hamstrings). The advice I have recieved from non-athletes and the net is all over the place. I read somewhere to not stretch until it goes away, others say to stretch.

I have been using the foam roller, trigger point, occasional yoga, and easing off on the intensity of my training. I even skipped the Wednesday run. My concern is that it feels worse today than it has all week even with backing off a bit. I did use the foam roller a lot yesterday, could that have aggravated it?

Does anyone have any advice about this pain in my butt?

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks.

Steve

Comments

• Options

Steve,

If it's your piriformis that's a tough one to stretch out; Google the Pigeon yoga pose; that's how I get to mine. I used to struggle with my piriformis; no longer now that I've included this stretch into my daily yoga routine. 

• Options

Docs, might have better thoughts, but in my experience try:

1. If you have one, turn a Bosu ball upside down and sit on it indian style.

2.Second pigeon pose.  I like standing one-legged pigeon best, which is this pose, but with your bent leg on top of a folded blanket on a table.

3. Stretch those calves and hamstrings really well. I not sure why, but if my hamstrings and calves are tight, the piriformis gets extra-twitchy.

4. Do you have a chiro?

5. Laying on a tennis ball (under spot of hurt) for as long as I can stand it.

• Options
    Steve, I had piriformis issues a couple of months ago and I feel your pain! (Literally!) What helped me was my OT had me do foam roller, hamstring stretches laying on my back, and using a towel wrapped behind my leg, pull leg toward me as far as possible without really hurting myself. Alternate legs. Also, laying on back, pull one leg, slightly bent at the knee, over the other leg for a good stretch. Additionally, she did ultrasound, deep massage, (hurt like hell!) and electrical stim. I also go to an acupuncturist, so between OT and acupuncture, I got through it. Hope things get better for you. That is one terribly tough area to heal. Get massage from a therapist who does Myofacial massage. My therapist does that, and although it does hurt, in the long run it helps. Also, soak in a hot tub full of Epsom salts and lavender bath salts.
    Good luck!
  • Options

I have this right now and has derailed my running/biking..... a historical problem for me.  right now taking Prenisone!  I have done many things to get rid of it and very annoying.  also on left side.  and left hamstring.  the pain was affecting me more than just training... just bending over doing normal chores and with each left foot strike walking..!  the meds work to get rid of pain and how nice to be painfree but also make me sleepless and not so hungry!!  lol.  This is my 2nd time to use this med.  I have also visited PT and learned new exercises (I believe in old 3.0 forum, I talked about it in a thread by Linda on quad pain) and try to stretch after workouts.  I will add in this pigeon pose though.  I also think I have a functional leg discrepancy.. right is shorter as the left is so tight so I also "feel your pain".....   I just backed out of training the last 3 weeks and got into holiday prep

• Options
    Wow. Thanks for all the responses and great advice. I am 'hoping' that my case is mild and I have caught it early enough to nip it in the bud. I have a massage scheduled for this morning and have been living on the foam roller and a tennis ball per recommendations.

I know of all the stretches you all mentioned, I just have not been doing them (seems to be a recurrent theme with me). I think I will take the weekend off from training and focus on stretching and rolling. I also have been wearing my compression tights based on another thread and I think that is helping. This morning the pain is much less than yesterday.

Thanks again for all this great advice.

Steve
  • Options

Hey Steve, all good advice so far. image

The key with the stretches and trigger point work is frequency. it doesn't have to be a torture session to be effective.

My favorite self-release technique is to use a tennis ball or trigger point ball. Sit on the floor with your good leg stretched out in front of you (knee straight) and the problem leg bent so that your in a figure 4/half indian style position. Take the ball and position it so that you're almost sitting on it and with one hand push that knee down towards the floor so that you're putting a good chunk of your body weight into the ball. You might have to try a few different spots but when you hit the right one you WILL know. try 30-60 second holds for 4-6 reps. as it starts to loosen, you might have to actually lay on the ball to get enough pressure on it. if you do, keep the knee bent and your other leg straight (helps open up the hip and stretches out the other end of the hip rotators).

• Options
    Steve,

you are getting good advice above. There are other causes IF you do not resolve please post as such. Some other causes that may play a role are: SI joint dysfunction, Sacrotuberous ligament or Iliosacral lig issues, facet joint or disc dysfunction referring pain to glute, etc. Start with the typical treatments listed above and be patient. You know what they say about Rome.

Vince
  • Options

Instead of sitting on a tennis ball, I use a Lacross ball.  It is very hard.  Do it every night.  At first it will seem nearly impossible to do, but in no time you'll be able to relax the muscles quickly.

• Options
    Only concern with hard ball pushing into the glute is you have to be careful not to bruise the sciatic nerve. I've seen permanent damage from TYpe A self-manipulation of the glute using baseball/softballs.

Vince
  • Options
    Some more great advice. Thanks! I did go to get a massage Sunday it did wonders. She noted my entire left side was more tight and MUCH less flexible than my right. I have to admit, I already kinda knew this. I will take it easier this week and focus on stretching, using a ball, plus a foam roller. I guess this is what I get for taking 3 months post IM off to get fat and lazy.

As coincidence would have it, I just bought "The Grid", trigger points "revolutionary" foam roller. At first I thought it was just a pricey roller in orange, but this thing really gets into the glutes. Much more effective than my real foam roller. I have been using it a couple times a day as well as the ball. However now I will be extra cautious not to bruise my sciatic (ouch!). I am focusing on rolling and stretching daily and it feeling a little better each day.

Thanks Again!