Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

AM I THE BABY OF THE GROUP!?

I was looking at the Heads we win tails you lose spreadsheet and didnt see anyone else? Am I the baby of the group at 24?!?

Someone out there has to be younger or iI guess ill just have to bring up the back of the pack!

Comments

• Options

Oh good gawd, I have a son who will be 24 in May. I think you're everyone's little brother. I pronounce you adopted.

• Options
    There were a few of us in our 20's last year, but not many at all. I'm 28 and may be the closest in age to you unless there are other new members that are younger.

The good news is you will have an even bigger advantage following the EN race execution as the Men 18-29 typically go out and just crush themselves on the bike and blow up during the run. Of course we also get to race guys that are sill in shape from college athletics.
  • Options
    Awwwww, that's just cute!
  • Options
    @ Linda - Haha thanks for the adoption!

@ matt - That is a good point. I know I would most likely have gone screaing out and regretted it onte run without some of this guidance.

@ nemo - I will till otherwise told take my cute Baby status with pride =P
  • Options
    As the baby of the family (who at the age of 43 is STILL introduced by my family as "The Baby" or "My Baby Sister") I take great pride in being the cute Baby- and you should too!

Oh- and Matt's right, you are gonna have a HUGE advantage over your peers by being in da haus and drinking the koolaide!!! I look forward to watching you execute a great race and then rip the legs off your competitors on the run this year!
  • Options

I've been 24 for at 29years!       Either I'm in TOTAL denial or it is true that age is in the mind!  LHOL!

• Options
    Philip - I may have a bike that is older than you.....LOL
  • Options
    @ Rich - I would suggest being 25 instead! your insurance rates would go down =P

@ Bryan - Atleast its just bikes not underwear!

• Options

Seriously, Phil, the best advice I can give you--and yes, this is mom talking because of your age --is to really learn to race the EN way. AND make  yourself do it on race day. My oldest son raced on an elite development tri team with Jarrod Shoemaker for 2 years. Hell, yes, the talent was there. But the singularly hardest thing for him and the other young guys to learn was how to reign in the horses--i.e don't leave it on the roads crushing themselves or each other in training, and to know how to pace it in races. Granted they raced ITU with drafting, but still. EN will teach you how to spot the people "being stoopid" on the bike, and if you do it right, you will triumph over that bravado and smack talk that's so prevalent in your age group. Mom lecture over.

• Options
    Posted By Bryan Reece on 13 Dec 2009 08:28 PM

Philip - I may have a bike that is older than you.....LOL

We just got rid of a car that was nearly as old as you!!!!  You go guy!

Rich, You gotta lie forward man.  I'm 48 but I tell people I'm 52.  The only let down is when people act like that makes sense....

• Options
    @ linda - I understand the not wanting reign it in seeing as I was a 400M SPRINTER... I am really thinking about putting a piece of Tape over my MPH on the Powertap for my first HIM... that might help or just line rich up at teh finsish line with the promise of a swift kick if I dont do what im supposed to!

and ill take the motherly tone due to my age =P I always try to listen to my mom so hopefully If I get to excited on the bike/run ill hear you in my head!
  • Options

You even look cute and tiny in your picture. Fire up some photoshop to put some man hairs on your chest or ask for a special christmas present! image

• Options

Guys in your AG, and up through 30, race Ironman incredibly stupidly. Seriously, we see it over and over again at all of the races.

• Options

Like I said yesterday, enjoy it!! image I was 27 when I teamed up with EN. wish I'd been 24 and didn't have to learn the hard way how to train and race.

• Options

@ Coach P - At 24 Its annoying to look 12, But at 50 it will be great to look 38! Keeping my fingers crossed hahaand Man I dunno that Austin Powers Chest hair doesnt look very Aero!

@ Rich - I keep hoping so - It might be a bit before I get to Full IM from Half IM but when i get there I hope to be fast and take advantage of my smart racing!

@ Leigh - I hate learnign the hardway... Growing up i let my older brother learn everythign the hardway!
  • Options
    Posted By Sheryl Woodworth on 14 Dec 2009 09:00 AM

Rich, You gotta lie forward man.  I'm 48 but I tell people I'm 52.  The only let down is when people act like that makes sense....

LHOL!  Thanks for the suggestion Sheryl!  Let's see.....my new story...  "I'm 64 and I haven't even hit middle age yet!"