Home General Training Discussions
Options

Garmin Edge 500

Does anyone have an Edge 500?  Have you had any success getting the files to upload into WKO+?  Heck I can't even get the files into the Garmin Traiing Center.

Comments

• Options

Never mind.  I got it.  There is a new update(3.5.1) for the Garmin Training Center as of Dec 2 to add the Edge 500.  After I did that it was easy to export the .tcx file to WKO+.  I'll compare the Edge 500 file to the Powertap file and report any goofiness.

• Options

Another problem.  Anybody having issues updating FTP and power/hr zones from garmin connect settings?

• Options
    On a related note, have you seen the newish (I think...) WKO stuff?

Compatible devices (including the 500 - looks like they haven't updated the 310XT page - not sure if that's because they haven't got around to it, or if it's still problematic):

The Edge 500 page:

Device agent 3 info:

A couple related threads:

The download link Gear mentions in those threads doesn't work - seems like the v3 release is the gold code perhaps.

And some good stuff in device troubleshooting explaining why you sometimes see differences between Garmin and WKO+:

All in all, seems like impressive progress on their part.  I've been chirping at TP lately re: the 310XT, but seems like some good steps in the right direction by them - kudos.

PS: hey, I'm in Edmonton and planning to do GWN and IMC this year - let's compare notes!
  • Options
    I have one and have been using it for about 5 days now... it works awesome to far!

I'm doing a full write up on my blog and it will be out in a few days.

I think Craig hit the main points with the links but here is a summary of my findings:

- TrainingPeaks Device Agent 3.0 works to download from the edge 500 and then you drag the file into WKO+. This is faster and easier than using GTC, and the data is exactly the same.
    - I believe TrainingPeaks is still stating that the 310XT is NOT compatible with WKO and will not be until v3.0, however the edge 500 is compatible. v3.0 will include direct download from both, but no idea on a release date
    - I have not seen any of the issues reports with the 310XT after 4 workouts (i.e. no smart recording issus so far)
    - The edge is set to record non-zero averages from the factory, garmin training center and garmin connect show this average, whereas WKO shows the actual average inlcuing zeros, this is why average is sometimes difference. I didn't notice this on my trainer rides (because I never stopped pedaling) but when I went outside I did. If it bothers you cahange the edge to include zeros in the average and your data will match
    - Zones have to be set from garmin connect... i personally didn't bother.

Let me know if you have other questions.