Home General Training Discussions
Options

Socks or No Socks?

I have only done long course triathlons, and, I am curious if there is a reason for me to worry about transitioning to going sockless (which I would probably do during the OS) or if it really doesn't matter?

My personal thought would be that going sockless isn't really a big deal for long course...what's another 10 seconds in T1?...but, as I add some shorter races to the mix for variety, I guess it starts to become something to think about.

Anyone have thoughts one way or the other?

Comments

• Options
    Biggest issue I see is blister potential. If you can handle running sockless- you'll save time in transition- and in short distance racing every second counts. I tore my feet up trying to run sockless last year- so move forward with caution.
  • Options
    I don't wear socks in a tri under a 10k.. = sprints = no socks. and yes I train that way too on brick runs, running 3ish miles sockless. 1/2 IM I run in socks and I tried an oly with no socks but a rainy one and got blisters, but not sure if wet socks would have prevented that. I don't wear socks on the bike portion either in any distance so then just plop my feet into speed laced run shoes..... OR don socks for the longer runs. try it in training and see what you think.... m
  • Options

Bike = NO socks ever.

Run: Sprints and olympics = NO socks.  Long course  = must wear socks...time savings not worth risk of blisters. 

• Options

My personal experience is almost identical to as above with a few exceptions/clarifications

Tri Bike-> no socks

Tri Run
    Sprint -> no socks
    Oly - > depends on the day, heat/humidity
    70.3-> socks

Standalone Bike (event/group ride)
    socks

Standalone Run
    socks (why not)
  • Options
    Socks for me on any Tri beyond Oly...run only, never on the bike.
  • Options
    It all depends on your goals and the level of competition. Long course may be a long day but seconds still add up...50 seconds meant a ton to me last year
  • Options

I tend to get blisters, so I adhere to the following:

Sprints = No Socks

Olympic, 1/2 and Full = Socks

• Options
    I wear socks all the time unless racing. Biking without socks is no big deal and is easy to get used to with only a teeny bit of practice. Does make your shoes smell. Running is a bit different. Even biking without socks will save you time in transition as it is easier to put socks on in T2 when your feet are not so wet. As for running without socks you need the right shoes and to practice a bit. I paint the problem areas of my feet with NuSkin starting the day before. Works great. Good luck.
  • Options
    Posted By Paul Hough on 13 Dec 2009 05:21 PM

Bike = NO socks ever.

Run: Sprints and olympics = NO socks.  Long course  = must wear socks...time savings not worth risk of blisters. 

+1

Just make sure to train this way.  Unless you are running in a pair of Zoot's you will probably get some blisters while your feet adapt to running with no socks.  NuSkin and similar products will help.

• Options

No socks on the tri bike, cuz I don't want my socks filled with pee all day before I start to run .

No socks on the road bike, though I know this is not Pro. I do wear socks when it's cold out.

Socks on the run, always. Not worth the risk of blisters.

• Options
    socks all the time. my feet just don't tolerate rough surfaces without ripping wide open. it would suck to get to the run portion with a shoe full of blood.
  • Options
    Sprint = no socks bike, no socks run
    Oly = no socks bike, socks run
    HIM = socks on bike depend on temps/humidity, socks run
    IM = socks bike, socks run

I've historically had hot spot/blister issues, so I try not to ever run w/o socks.
  • Options

Key message is you have to find out what works for YOU! Personally, I can bike to up to 2.5 hours wihout socks, and run for 45 minutes without as well. So my race routine is: Sprints and Olys - no socks; HIM, put on socks in T2; IM, put on socks in T1, have spare pair available in T2, I used to even put an old pair in run special needs, mostly cause I always lose a toenail or two if I don't.

But when training, I ALWAYS wear socks, even for a 15 minute run.I can get rubbed raw within 15-20 minutes without socks on a treadmill. I see no point in messing up my tootsies any more than I already do 2-3 times a year in big long races.

• Options
    Posted By Matt Ancona on 13 Dec 2009 07:02 PM

It all depends on your goals and the level of competition. Long course may be a long day but seconds still add up...50 seconds meant a ton to me last year

Oh yeah, Matt!. 9 seconds at IM AZ in 08 got me a Kona slot! Who knows what made the difference - I did wear socks for bike and run that race.

• Options

bike - sprints (I haven't done an oly. Um, I should change that.), no socks ever. Run, no socks ever

HIM - I heart my socks. I bet biking with no socks would be fine, but I haven't tried it.

IM - I'm thinking two pairs of socks for the run. Especially if I master peeing on the bike.

• Options

I desperately wanted to train and race without socks, for the time savings, for less laundry, to prevent pee in my socks (explain that one to non triathletes), because I loved the look of Zoot running shoes, because everyone cool was doing it.

I am NOT prone to blisters. I can wear wet socks all day and not have a problem.

Biking without socks made my feet unbearably hot. I cannot explain that, but I was never so glad to get out of my bike shoes. I wanted to soak my feet in ice to cool them off.

Running without socks caused very small blisters, but again, my feet were unbearably hot.

I am perpetually cold, so you would think this would be great. But it is like fire for me.

Since I am MOP, I always wear socks. Every race, every distance. I only change socks between bike and run in IM- for obvious reasons.

• Options
    Obviously with all the differnt opinions the right answer is you have to figure this out for yourself!

Like most I vary with distance:

Sprint/Oly = No socks for Bike or Run
    HIM = no socks bike/socks on run
    IM = This year I switched to socks on the bike. Generally comfortable, but mixed review (see pee comments above)

One important thing for the run is the right shoe. I tried the Zoot shoe. It rubbed me the wrong way. I went to my local running store and tried on a bunch of different shoes. For sockless racing flat I went with the Saucony FastTwitch 3 w/speedlaces. It has treated my feet well and turned in some fast times this last year.

One thing that put me over the edge was a sprint I did mid-summer. I was coming off an 80 miler ride the day before and had a small rub on my foot. As a precaution I took the time to put on socks. I ended up missing hardware by 1 second!!! NO SOCKS IF YOU DON'T NEED THEM!
  • Options

I appreciate everyone's feedback.  I have only ever thought about socks on or off at the bike leg, but, never thought about biking without them, and adding them for the run.  I am really only doing long distance tris, so, socks or no socks isn't a HUGE issue as long as I don't take 3 minutes to get them on.  That being said, I might try getting used to biking without them since so many of you do that, and then I won't have to worry about doing that fresh out of the water.

Thanks for all the help!