Home Group Discussion-OutSeason November 2010
Options

Week 12 Run Thread

2»

Comments

• Options
    Had to rush off to a swim lesson this morning, so switched the Sat and Sun sessions and only did the main set - on the treadmill as usual.
    10' warmup
    2x200, 3x1000 at Z5 9.7MPH
    Total run workout 35'
  • Options

Great run today along the ocean in Victoria. Legs seem super-ready to go for Week 14's test. Ran mostly on effort and checked pace at the end.

My Z5 pace is 8:33 but was running easily at 8:00 pace.

2 x 200,

3 x 1000

Total run of 50'

Enjoy your day off tomorrow!

• Options
    week 11 run for me, which was the 2 x 2 miles with 1 mile recovery. having skipped a few runs over the past weeks, all i can say is OUCH!!!! the 7 degree temps and headwind during the 2nd 2 mile stint didn't help, but at least there was enough shoulder where i wasn't dodging traffic. if i could only run in daylight during the week.
  • Options
    Feels like a breakthrough week for me running-wise, which is nice given the Bataan Death March feel to the bile (I'm leaving that typo as I think it is an appropraite Freudian slip) since V02 reared its head...

Z5 pace for me is 7:46... felt really strong and smooth today...

1X200: 7:29 pace
    1X200: 7:15
    1X1000: 7:29
    1X1000: 7:27
    1X1000: 7:22

Total run: 45:12, 5.55 miles, 8:08 pace

Feeling good (today) about VDOT improvement in WK 14
  • Options
    Got it done this morning at the track. An improvement over Wednesday, but had to fight for every second. I tried to pace my efforts a bit better today. The 1000's are a real struggle for me for whatever reason. I'm feeling sluggish with all of the runs right now. Need to break out of the funk before the next test. I think I need to add a little more time on to the tail end of the runs for some endurance.

I had the track all to myself today. Imagine that on a January 19 degree morning. I awlays feel like such a wimp when reading about everyone else in the snow and ice and freezing temperatures. I was a mess coming home today. It took a good few minutes to get my hands right again. I need to figure out a better solution than my current gloves. Only another month or so of being cold, right?

2 x 200 @ 38, 40 (target 40)
    4 x 1000 @ 3:39, 3:43, 3:45, 3:46 (target 3:41)
  • Options
    Wish I was rocking it like all the rest of you..... still nursing a calf issue.

Today was my first run since Tuesday's brick and I skipped the Saturday bike too. Started easy and never got faster. Had to walk a bit at mile 3 but kept on till I finished 12 miles.... Long way to go till Boston....

Calf is tight but no pain... hope tomorrow brings no unwelcome surprises....
  • Options
    got the run dun...

2x 200's (50") at 6:39 pace
    3x 1000's (4'10'') at 6:39 pace

Week 12 is in the books.

@Steve - I feel your pain, literally. Since rehabbing early, I still have the calf flare up occasionally, and I call it a day as soon as I feel that familiar pain.
  • Options
    Question:

I peeked ahead to next Wed. What is 5k Test Pace? Previous 5k test? Goal pace for the next 5k? Am I overthinking this?
  • Options
    I'm in awe of everyone running in sub zero's. I ran in the low 20's and the stats came out better then I thought.

40:01 5.03 mi
    .14/.13: 6:09/5:59
    .62/.63/.62: 6:23/6:34/6:29
  • Options
    I again with Matt... nice work to those of you that run in the cold.

I'm a wimp and got mine done on the treadmill. After my as hoc FTT plus the rest of the workout I thought I was in trouble as I got up this morning and my legs were pretty tired still. I went to the gym again to use their treadmill and it wsa tough but actually not as horrible as I thought it would be.

I really wanted to knock out the 4 x 1000 so I did them right after the warm up. Target was 5:30 or 10.9 mph. I started out a 11 mph on the first and increased it .1 each one as each one actually felt better than the last. The 2 x 200 were a piece of cake after those so I did them at 11.4 and 11.5. After that I ran another 25' and slowlying increased the pace.

My foot pod seemed to be reading about 10" per mile fast than the treadmill today so I based the workout on the treadmill paces and have a garmin file that looks like I was really moving :-)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/64797814
  • Options

connect.garmin.com/activity/64868915

Mild temps in the Austin area allowed me to hit the track tonight.  Despite the stomach issues from something my body continues to fight I was able to get it done and hit the targets.

Great work out there today team!  Well earned rest day tomorrow for all!

• Options
    I did the run work today about 5 minutes after getting done with Saturday's bike work. I had intended to do the run yesterday morning before skiing but it was below zero, dark and the road had a couple inches of snow on it. I did then on my treadmill today at 10 mph at a 2.5. Percent incline. Not sure what that pace was but it felt really hard. Almost shot off the back into the washing machine on the third one. The 2 hours or so i spent on the bike and the run may have been the hardest workout in the basement ever. Sure felt like it.
  • Options
    @ Rob: I got a pair of Under Armour cold weather running gloves for Christmas and have yet to have cold fingers. Temps here have only been as low as single digits. image

I think my Mom picked them up at Dick's.
  • Options
    @Chris - trying to combine sat/sun into one brick is basically racing a HIM all out only inside and in January.
  • Options
    Had to get up early to run due to having our re-scheduled family Christmas today. First off, I have to give a very big thank you to the parks and rec crew that maintains the running trail in our town. They keep is so cleared off that I can see more sidewalk than snow. That helps a LOT when trying to do Z5 work.

The temp was a bit chilly at 3 degrees, but thankfully there was very little wind. My body felt a little tired from yesterday, but I managed to hit all except the last intervals I thought that we were doing 3x1000 until my Garmin yelled at me for not going fast enough for #4.

Last week I didn’t look closely enough at the workout and only did 60’. I know today was only supposed to be 45’, but I still felt guilty from last week. I had been looking forward to adding a bit more time. So, today I extended it out a bit. It takes 15’ to run home from where I do the interval work at, and I didn’t finish the work part of the workout until 52’, so I only had to add on a 8’ (then the run home) to get to 75’.

Goal: 7:02
    2x100 @ 6:54/6:52
    4x1000 @ 7:01/6:55/7:00/7:05
  • Options
    @Rob-
    If it’s above 10 degrees, I wear Saucony Ulti Mitt Gloves. They are awesome! Lightweight, but keep my hands very warm. It’s gloves with a mitten covering that I can pull back when my hands start to get too warm. It also comes with an light that you can remove when you wash them. Looks like they are sale/clearance at REI...
    http://www.rei.com/product/813106

When it’s REALLY cold, I have a pair of Kombi gloves/mittens (looks like mittens, but each finger is individually, warmly wrapped inside). Not sure which version they are on the website.
    http://www.kombisports.com/

Both gloves were purchased at local sports retailers.
  • Options
    Today was day 1 of my 3-day mellow-out to step back from the edge. Toned it all the way down. Half an hour at 85% on the bike, and a 1 hour easy run just to get a little volume. The usual 20 min of core after the run.

I'm telling myself I feel better already. :-)
  • Options
    Nice chilly run this afternoon. High winds, both ways, oh and uphill. Was a tough workout on tired legs but gave it my best shot.

2 x 200m @ 6:20, 6:25
    3 x 1000m @ 6:27, 6:35, 6:37

• Options
    Posted By William Jenks on 23 Jan 2011 07:33 PM

Today was day 1 of my 3-day mellow-out to step back from the edge. Toned it all the way down. Half an hour at 85% on the bike, and a 1 hour easy run just to get a little volume. The usual 20 min of core after the run.

I'm telling myself I feel better already. :-)

Mellowing out can be a good thing.  Not shure how  running for an hour fits into that plan.  There really is no such thing as a "recovery run" [unless maybe you are a kenyon marathoner or something].  Everyone is different but 90 minutes seems like a lot and .85 for 30 minutes is a hard effort.  Hope that you do feel better.

• Options
    My foot pod seemed to be reading about 10" per mile fast than the treadmill today so I based the workout on the treadmill paces and have a garmin file that looks like I was really moving :-)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/64797814

legit, cadence of 95 too...mine, 84 so amateur.
  • Options
    @Dan thanks, it took a year of really focusing on getting my form right and cadence up to be able to hold that. Since then I have been able to go down to minimalist shoes or racing flats for 100% of my running and have not had a major injury. It was well worth the time for me.
  • Options
    Knocked out the Sunday run with very little trouble.
    I am continually amazed at how much easier the runs are when running is really my biggest weakness. But the 4x1000's weren't too bad and the 200's were just fine.
    With only 45min on the dockett I didn't even have to do a lot of z3 work at the end.
  • Options
    @ Matt A

Your comments on run form/cadence hit home here - I've been working to change mine from a "heel striking - long strider" to a mid foot short stride high cadence - treadmill work has been helpful so far - any possiblity to get a home video of you in action on the treadmill?

thx

jeff
  • Options
    Posted By Jeffery Sullivan on 24 Jan 2011 11:54 AM

@ Matt A

Your comments on run form/cadence hit home here - I've been working to change mine from a "heel striking - long strider" to a mid foot short stride high cadence - treadmill work has been helpful so far - any possiblity to get a home video of you in action on the treadmill?

thx

jeff

Film technology has not yet made sufficient strides in capturing sonic booms..............