Home Group Discussion-OutSeason November 2010
Options

Week 13 bike

Comments

• Options
    Posted By Matt Ancona on 26 Jan 2011 09:49 AM

@ChrisG - yes my perfect OS record is now ruined as I missed one brick run, but I think it was the right choice as I was able to nail the wednesday run at 5am today.

FWIW, instead of making up the run last night I did masters swim and set two more PRs....3 x 300 SCY at 4:03, 4:06, 4:06 and we did a ton of 100s on 1:30 and I was under 1:21 for all of them including at least 3 at 1:18 and curshed myself on the last one and pulled off a 1:13 at the end of 3200 yards. Lats and arms are sore today!

Well I guess that we can let you slide.  I must say that it is a bit of a bummer that you can swim now. At least Murphy'sLaw can still barely keep himself from drowning.  100's on 1:30 and I fall apart in a hurry.  I think it is counter productive but does seem to amuse the fast folks in the lane when they have to cut their rest a little short but get to watch me about die.

I had the least relaxing "rest day" yesterday ever I think.  Up at 4:10 for a 6:00 flight.  In WV by 9:45.  Planned to swim quick before a 2:15 flight but the thing went way too long.  At least I won.  Snow at the airport in WV cancelled all the flights out.  As I had no luggage came up with the plan to drive to Charlotte.  About 250 miles through the mountains.  Got to Charlotte around 8 for a 10:15 flight.  Got home about 21 hours after I woke up.  Did sleep on the plane a bit as I had a couple of margaritas along the way.  

Planned to sleep in and do a brick run after the intervals today.  Did not realize that my wife had to be on the treadmill by 9:15 so I had to cut my plans short a bit.  Did 14x1:00 in 29:30.  All of them over 375, most north of 380.  The no warm up did not seem to matter much after the first couple.  Last one at 403 for good measure.  Then did a little over 4 miles with 2 at about HMP.  Actually feeling kinda human. 

Not sure I am testing next Monday but feeling pretty good about the bike right now regardless...

• Options
    Oof, barely pulled off that 5th interval, and in the process of digging really deep I think I finally got some insight into that nausea feeling y'all keep talking about. If that's how deep you're digging on these workouts and FTP tests, well, wow.
    18' warmup
    5 x 2.5' @ 274/275/273/275/272W (target 269), HR 164/167/166/166/166
    17' @ 185W (0.82), cadence 89, HR 156
    Total bike 60', TSS 79 (0.88)
  • Options

Starting to fire on all cylinders (finally) as of today.  Hit all targets and exceeded the 334 target by 10-20 watts on all six reps……..

Entire workout (239 watts):

Duration:     1:01:46

Work:          886 kJ

TSS:           94.2 (intensity factor 0.96)

Norm Power:      267

Saturday’s relatively easy brick is welcome……………….!

Sunday off for Monday testing……………so happy!

Great job all - Hang in there !!!!

• Options
    Yea - resting and de-stressing did me some good. Was able to hit the 2.5's today.

6 x 2.5' @ 220, 219, 220, 220, 221, 218 (target 220)
    18' @ 0.85
  • Options
    Posted By Beverly Richardson on 27 Jan 2011 01:55 PM

Yea - resting and de-stressing did me some good. Was able to hit the 2.5's today.

6 x 2.5' @ 220, 219, 220, 220, 221, 218 (target 220)

18' @ 0.85

Awesome stats Beverly!  Very focused!  Way to drive it home!!!

• Options
    Slept in this morning so did the workout at lunch today. Went with 15X1'(1") All at the target 320+ watts. Hopped off and ran 4 miles in 28:30 but in last mile tweaked the knee slipping on an ice patch and by the time home hurting pretty bad. Will watch closely but just totally sucks if there is a problem.
  • Options

Rep one of the 2.5's today I had more discomfort and fatigue in the legs than I was hoping for, but I was not surprised with the nature of the workouts leading up to today.   I promised my self that I would get all 6  2.5's done as written regardless of the discomfort or wattage.

Target was 305   todays intervals were  303,305,299,303,302,305    Recovered well for the final 15' to hit just above 85 % ;  219 watts

Comfortably exhausted right now.  

Looking forward to next weeks test, it can't be any tougher than FTP intervals of 20' followed by 3-4 VO2 intervals, can it?

I've got the number I want to hit in my head, I just need to recover hard, and be mentally ready !!!

• Options
    Thinking about backing off this Saturdays tough VO2 max and taking things a little easier but stuck in the what to do thing.....I want to crush my test on Monday but will be doing it at 0430 d/t work so want to be overly rested. I am currentlly sitting at 187 and shooting for 200-205 but if I go into it like I felt today that will be an epic failure. My Saturdays ride mimics today but 75 min. So 5x2.5's and the remainder at 85%.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
  • Options
    Posted By Carl Noftsger on 27 Jan 2011 04:11 PM

Thinking about backing off this Saturdays tough VO2 max and taking things a little easier but stuck in the what to do thing.....I want to crush my test on Monday but will be doing it at 0430 d/t work so want to be overly rested. I am currentlly sitting at 187 and shooting for 200-205 but if I go into it like I felt today that will be an epic failure. My Saturdays ride mimics today but 75 min. So 5x2.5's and the remainder at 85%.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Note that the coaches have built in the rest with no 2 X 20s at Z4 and an Easy pace run thereafter.    A ride that usually last about 1:50 for me will be cut to 1:15 with no Z4.  I'll fill the remainder of the time up to 1:15 with Z3 time.

Also note no Sunday Run.   Come Monday morning you'll be feeling like a caged TIGER!!!

• Options
    Posted By Trent Prough on 27 Jan 2011 02:47 PM

Slept in this morning so did the workout at lunch today. Went with 15X1'(1") All at the target 320+ watts. Hopped off and ran 4 miles in 28:30 but in last mile tweaked the knee slipping on an ice patch and by the time home hurting pretty bad. Will watch closely but just totally sucks if there is a problem.

Looking stronger with each post!

• Options
    Posted By Shaughn Simmons on 27 Jan 2011 04:36 PM

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Note that the coaches have built in the rest with no 2 X 20s at Z4 and an Easy pace run thereafter.    A ride that usually last about 1:50 for me will be cut to 1:15 with no Z4.  I'll fill the remainder of the time up to 1:15 with Z3 time.

Also note no Sunday Run.   Come Monday morning you'll be feeling like a caged TIGER!!!

Simmons......

~I am not sure how you get that fancy box around what I said but please share....

~ I am game for Sat's workout then and killing it Monday.  I have a game plan like a NFL quarterback.  I am ripping the he double L out of this test.  It will be 200-205 or I will not be happy.  I have been working so damn hard and want to pay back but understand....a gain is a gain.....Bring the Kool Aid my friend

• Options
    Not a pretty session tonight... got the MS done then slumped over the aerobars and never got going again. Decided I'd better call it a day and rest up for Saturday's final push towards the big test.......

125.4% 65.4%
    124.9% 44.9%
    124.4% 56.6%
    119.5% 33.7%
    118.5% 26.8%

The last 2 were killer... Ended up with total bike 38' @ 195 (0.95)
  • Options
    Feel like I've come back pretty strong after taking it easy on the intensity Sun and Tues. Today's session was Hard...don't get me wrong... but I could have done a couple more if I had to.

306, 304, 302, 303, 308, 301, followed by 15 min @85% Target = 300. 0.92 IF for the hour.

Wm
  • Options
    Way to stay focused everyone...I like what's getting done here!
  • Options
    got mine done late last night.

20' hi cadence warmup
    5x 2.5'on's at 253, 253, 255, 258, 271 (FTP of 205)
    15' at 173

• Options
    Posted By Carl Noftsger on 27 Jan 2011 06:42 PM
    Posted By Shaughn Simmons on 27 Jan 2011 04:36 PM

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Simmons......

~I am not sure how you get that fancy box around what I said but please share....

~ I am game for Sat's workout then and killing it Monday.  I have a game plan like a NFL quarterback.  I am ripping the he double L out of this test.  It will be 200-205 or I will not be happy.  I have been working so damn hard and want to pay back but understand....a gain is a gain.....Bring the Kool Aid my friend

Carl, you've done the work bro, you'll make the 200 club with that attitude!!

Try clicking the "quote" button instead of the "reply" button above next time you respond to someone.......

• Options

Spent the last couple of days snowed in at Dulles and got in last night. So, instead of making up Thursday, I just did Saturday's brick wko instead and am now a day ahead.

15' warmup

5 X 2.5' @ Z4 PE, the HR went Z2, Z3, Z4, Z4, Z5.

6 X 3'(2') @ Z3

5' Cool down with drills (the one-leg drills Rich discussed on the podcasts)

Then 15' run @ Z1. Since it was supposed to be 25' and I mis-read it, I'm going out on this 74 degree sunny day here in Texas to do the last 10'. It's more of a catharsis from the bad memory of being snowed in at Dulles and trying to sleep on the airport floor Wednesday night. image

• Options
    The weather here is supposed to be amazing: 55-60 and I will definitely take the time to ride and run outside. Just packed the tri bike into the car for tomorrow. I am helping a friend move and then drive down to Colorado Springs for my last VO2 workout. No drainer for me tommorow.

• Options

My schedule dictated that I do the Thursday run yesterday, and the Saturday bike today.  Despite being tired from that hard run, I was still able to do a 35 minute warmup at .85, all of the Z5 stuff right on target, then another 15 minutes at .86.  I am taking Saturday and Sunday off, and am hoping for big things Monday.  

Enjoy Saturday's ride.  It's a piece of cake compared to preceding the Z5 stuff with 30 minutes of 1.0.

• Options
    Due to my desire to run as I get focused on Boston, I plan to bail on the VO2 sessions a day early.

Instead of the normal Saturday bike and testing on Monday, I will do my FTP test tomorrow. That way I can get my Sunday long run in and still rest up plenty for the 5K test on Wednesday.

...And I don't think I will cry about missing a 5x2.5 misery fest......

I'll be gunning for a 10w bump if I can find the courage to hang on when the griddle gets scalding hot....
  • Options
    Well since Steve broke the ice (although his reason is way better than mine), I will probably do the same as my Monday is looking grim from a work perspective... so much for stressing about recovery as two brutal work travel days on Wed and thursday (including a day trip to Chicago from Seattle yesterday.. nothing like a 20 hour work day to kill a workout) had me miss Wed & Thurs workouts this week... definitely feel rested, we'll see how that translates tomorrow. Grind 'em up tomorrow Steve!
  • Options

Welcome to Saturday...Well after a long arsh night at the fire department...All the drunks were out last night!!! Then to top it off I got a damn 140.00 speeding ticket on the way home by a State Trooper for 9 mph over. He proceeded to lecture me that I should no better ecspecially while still in uniform. I proceeded to agree hoping for a warning and boom just like that....Well Mr. Noftsger I knocked the ticket off 10 dollars for you but sign here....I was thinking really negative thoughts like he was choking, having a MI, stroke, car fire and needed my assistance and what would I say...Well Trooper 544 I know an airway would be nice but ...........BRING ON THIS DAMN VO 2 MAX STUFF CAUSE THIS TIMMY IS WAY PISSED OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'M CRUSHING HIS LARYNX, GLOTTIC OPENING, AND VOCAL CORDS TODAY ON MY RIDE......IM AN EVIL BASTARD .....GO AHEAD AND CROSS ME

• Options

Maybe you should test today, Carl!

• Options

A Welcome easier brick today!

Entire workout (228 watts):

Duration:           1:12:15

Work:                988 kJ

TSS:                  101.6 (intensity factor 0.921)

Norm Power:    256

RUN

connect.garmin.com/activity/65622131

• Options

Well the gang came over and we went at it...Relaxed a little and had fun.

2.5's (225) 230, 230, 234, 238, and 234.

15 minute wu then.....

Then rest at zone 3....

Interval 11:

Duration: 35:07 (35:58)

Work: 336 kJ

TSS: 44 (intensity factor 0.873)

Norm Power: 163

Duration: 1:15:51 (1:16:53)

Work: 678 kJ

TSS: 104.2 (intensity factor 0.914)

Norm Power: 171

Then ran outside for the first time for 25 minutes at E pace. Felt good to get out in the chill of winter........

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/65628743

• Options
    That felt a little easier than Thursday. Still hit the targets (barely). It's a sunny 29 degrees so I did my run outside today for the first time since early December; wonderful!
    18' warmup
    5 x 2.5' @ 269/270/275/273/271W (target 269), HR 164/164/166/165/166
    32' @ 180W (0.805), cadence 88, HR 150
    Total bike 75', TSS 94.7 (0.87)
    Run 25' @ NGP 8:00 (0.80), TSS 28.5 (Z1 is 8:16)
  • Options
    I picked a lousy week to fall off the wagon. I had a stressful week that just sucked the life out of me. I managed to do part of Tuesday's ride on Monday night, missed Thursday's ride and tryed to come back today. It should have felt easy after the past few weeks, but it just wasn't quite there. Hoping I can bust out my funk for Monday.
    6 x 2.5 followed by 2 x 15

306, 1.22
    305, 1.22
    298, 1.19
    290, 1.16
    301, 1.2
    297, 1.19
    15 @ .837
    15 @ .862

Total ride of 1:14 @.917

On a positive note the VO2 work is done!!!!!!
  • Options
    Hey Guys,

Early morning and late night conference calls plus my wife getting the flu, daughter getting a tooth and me almost getting sick made a challenging week.

I got all of the workouts done though with two exceptions... the Tuesday brick didn't happen, and on the Thursday bike I had to break up the 4th and 5th 2.5" as I couldn't hold the watts.

I think I'm finally getting over the lack of sleep and what ever I was fighting off. Todays ride was plenty challenging with just 6 x 2.5 and no FTP or 85% work.

I'm looking forward to a day off.
  • Options
    I had the typical saturday FTP, Vo2, 80-85% and man did it hurt today. I didn't manage the brick run as by the time I was done and headed upstairs I was shivering because my basement is so cold. couldn't imagine wiping down to head outside. maybe i'll run later. my legs are hurting and I had to break the vo2 max into 1'/1'. my quads do not like me right now and i think i might go buy some recovery tights.
  • Options
    @Carl-

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4867909&id=521003656&fbid=433167853656

So this is how your morning started? Yes, that really is my grandfather.