Home Group Discussion-OutSeason November 2010
Options

Week 13 Run Thread

I'm away on a business trip and am only running this week. Very pumped for next week's 5k test. I got out for an early run along the oceanside path in Victoria BC this morning, enjoying the sun and warmth, a rare winter treat for a Toronto resident. Again, I went out by feel, and it turned into a Timmy Run, running faster than planned. Did I say I was pumped for next week's test? 

Goal pace (IP): 8:30

2 x 800 @ 4:02, 4:00

2 x 1 mile @ 8:01, 7:45

10' @ Z3

Total run 1:10:00

Stay healthy and have a great rest up for next week!

Comments

• Options
    @Elly - I'm also out on a business trip to D.C. I got in tomorrow's run before I left and like you, ran faster than I should've. Target 800 = 3:34 and mile = 7:14

800: @ 3:17, 3:17
    mile: @ 6:50, 6:44

Total with warm-up and cool down = 7.2mi. Tomorrow is an easy day/off with maybe some walking or pool time just kicking back. D.C. isn't so bad - 45 or so and no snow to be seen!
  • Options
    Todays 3x1 mile ended up as 3x.75s + 1x.5, all at z5+:
    7:09 (.835mi, gotta love treadmill accuracy)
    7:05 (.83mi)
    7:27 (.757mi)
    7:27 (.50mi)

z5 is currently defined at 7:45, so I def have to retest soon.

I was huffing and puffing though, so everyone gave me a two treadmill "demilitarized zone" all around me. LOL
  • Options
    Glad I'm not the only one, who switched it. Today was challenging because I got interuppted by calls 3x while at work. There might be something to getting it done when I am not on duty.

3x1
    5:30
    5:25
    5:27

I ended up getting some extra miles in though I'm not sure how much since i would have to rewarm up every time for 5 minutes or so. The entire workout took around 2.5 hrs total.
  • Options
    Back at the running and mixed feelings a little. I just did 2X1 mile and wanted to see how the pre-take time off- pace felt. I had the legs it felt like, but the lungs were bursting. Just did 5 miles total to ease back into it.

1mile wu @ 8:00pace
    1mile @ 6:00 pace
    1mile @ 8:00 pace
    1mile @ 6:00 pace
    1mile cd @8:00 Pce
  • Options
    I do not enjoy tempo runs on the treadmill. At all. Got it done today, though, and on top of yesterday's workout, my legs are definitely feeling used.
    10' warmup
    2 x .5 mile, 2 x 1 mile @ Z5 9.7 MPH
    3 x 7' (1') @ Z3 8.9 MPH
    Total 60', 8.2 miles
  • Options
    I'm glad Dan did his first so I "had" to keep up :-)

I did mine on my home treadmill...

3x1
    5:32 (10mph 4%)
    5:29 (10mph 4.5%)
    5:26 (10mph ~4.75% average)

I managed to never stop but did have to slow down to 10:00 pace for about 30" after each interval before I worked my way back up to EP.
  • Options

Got mine done outside this morning. I ran to the local track hoping it would be clear after the somewhat warmer temps yesterday. No such luck. I had to run in the streets. I was shooting for 5:50 pace and ended up with 5:55, 6:18 and 6:01. I think I pretty much hit the goal effort. I had some bad footing and some traffic interruptions, especially on the second mile. It also never felt easy today. I felt a lot of fatigue in my legs.

Nice work everyone!

• Options
    Got it done in the gym this am..Lots of rolling of the piriformis but no ITB pain, bonus! Hit all targets and was below Interval pace. Would love to see a new vdot # next week!! image
  • Options
    2x800s and 2x1mile at 6:57 done

I'm starting to stress about the run test next week. Way back when, my original 5k test was way off. Used my Polar footpod on a nearby path that was unmarked. Well, looking back on it, the footpod was reading about 20'' faster per mile. Thus, my vdot is erroneously high. and I've been training with that vdot, successfully.. So, I'm preparing myself for a step back with the next test results. I am going to the track tonight to try to calibrate this footpod correctly. With this info, if I come anywhere close to the 'results' from the first 5K, it will be an improvement of some sort, in reality. [I didn't perform the second 5k test cuz of flu-ness] Just thinking out loud.
  • Options

Matt-

Just curious because I sometimes run on a treadmill that tops out at 10mph too.  How did you arrive at your "estimated / calculated?" pace based on 10mph and an incline? 

I've been doing my z5 runs @10mph w/ 2-3%.  Just wondering what that effort would equate to on a flat road.

Thanks

• Options
    @Matt - here is the chart I like to use. As you said it is an estimate but works for me.

http://www.hillrunner.com/training/tmillchart.php

I find my RPE to be pretty close better the incline and the pace the chart says, but the difference is that runnin at the incline seems to stress my calf more so in the OS I have sore calfs a lot, but then when I go out side my hamstrings, and other upper leg muscles seem to get sore.

• Options

Normally do not like to do mile repeats on the treadmill, but weather was just not condusive to getting outside.  I will say the treadmill pushed me to my limits today.  Wanted to quit on # 3 but sucked it up and got it done.   3 X 1 mile  9.9  @ 1 % incline   (6:07 pace).

Considering I went into this workout with some pretty tired legs, I was happy with the outcome.

• Options
    Got my three x 1 mi done at lunch hour on the indoor track. Did the first one a little hot, and the third one showed it. Don't think I could have done the 3rd much faster. Each one slightly positive split, too. NOnetheless, good work

Anyway, times were:
    5:57, 6:01, 6:10

Even a 6:10 pace overall for the next 5K would be a pretty significant improvement, so we'll see if something like that can be done!
  • Options

connect.garmin.com/activity/65281149

Woke up feeling under par due to virus in my stomach so deferred until lunch.

Did these at 9.0 mph on the treadmill with a 2% grade over my lunch hour today.

Could not hold the pace (6:22 target) for the second interval so broke the second and third intervals up into 1000M / 600M efforts. 

Once I finally kick the virus things should come back in line again.

• Options
    I wasn't feeling this run today. Think I'm tired and stressed. Did 1 hr E pace instead as the beautiful snow fell. Now chillaxin hard.
  • Options
    Crazy couple of days with travelling. Managed to just beat the storm home tonight. Went to the gym and got the work portion taken care off. 3 x 1 mile at 5:53, 5:55, and 5:51.
  • Options
    Mine was a disaster. Didn't feel like getting out of bed, but dragged myself up and got out the door. It's warmed up a bit, so I was hoping the path (paved) around the lake would be clear. No such luck...loose slippery snow + bad attitude = crappy run. My goal pace is 6:26, and I think I went something like 6:46, 7:10, 6:57...ugh! I'll mostly chalk it up to just completely miserable footing...might have to do the test on the dreadmill!
  • Options
    I had 4 x 200 and 2 x 1000 on tap today. It was the second week in a row that i ended up on the torchermill at the gym for the wednesday workout. got it done without any problem. my biggest issue is the treadmill itself. it is the most boring thing i've ever done....and worst of all after finishing the intervals, i just couldn't help but hit that "stop" button and went to shower. that doesn't happen outside since i'm too far from home to stop running. i love the winter and the snow, but i need it to go away so i can run outside at night again.
  • Options
    Awesome intervals by everyone today, me not so much.

I'm with you all about intervals on the deadmill.... they suck, but I'm still rehabing the calf so nothing too fast for me. Matt A is right about the incline and the calves.... I've been keeping mine flat till I get healthy. Today was another easy run, getting better every day.

2 @ 8:49
    2 @ 8:34
    2@ 8:20
    4 @ 8:00

10 miles total at 8:21 overall running a negative split. the only time my calf bothered me was the first mile.... I think I'm on my way back.....

• Options
    Yesterdays ride was hard and then I worked overnight with the ED slamming me again so not expecting much for this run. Legs felt good during warm up and pretty much stayed that way so like Elly I had a Timmy run. Goal pace 8:44/mi actual 2x800ish(0.54 mi) at 8:31, 8:28 and 2x1 mi at 8:29, 8:32. We'll see if I pay for it tomorrow.
  • Options
    Posted By Matt Ancona on 26 Jan 2011 02:00 PM

@Matt - here is the chart I like to use. As you said it is an estimate but works for me.

http://www.hillrunner.com/training/tmillchart.php

I find my RPE to be pretty close better the incline and the pace the chart says, but the difference is that runnin at the incline seems to stress my calf more so in the OS I have sore calfs a lot, but then when I go out side my hamstrings, and other upper leg muscles seem to get sore.

Thanks for the chart.  I hadn't seen that before. 

• Options
    2nd EN run of the week (I run the same workout twice during the week).

3x1mile ended up (thanks to the treadmill inaccuracy):
    1.1miles @ 7:08
    1.125 @ 6:57
    1.1 @ 6:58

Didn't feel too bad at all.

Might actually get in another run tomorrow, we shall see...
  • Options
    Back from another Can't-Slow-Down-Totally-Pumped-Crazy-Timmy run. Clear and cool weather in the Okanagan Valley in Kelowna.

2 x 200 @ Z5 pace (yeah, right)
    2 x 1000 @ Z5 (hahahaha)

Really looking forward to Monday's 5k test on an indoor track in Calgary. I've got to think through a plan so as not to get greedy/crazed and blow up.

New mantra until test: "Pigs get slaughtered"
  • Options

Easy, keep the lights on run. Day off tomorrow, then Monday test in Calgary.

15' warmup

3 x 5' (3') @ Z4

Total  run of 45'

Legs feel great, lower back a little tight/sore.