Home Group Discussion-OutSeason November 2010
Options

WEEK 14 Run Test

Did the run this morning to take advantage of the warm weather we are about to lose due to the coming storm.  Happy to come in exactly equal to the last test = 6:22 pace...

docs.google.com/leaf

Good luck with this one guys!

Comments

• Options
    Doing the run this afternoon as my schedule changed a bit with the bike TT on saturday.

Hopefully I hit your pace!!!
  • Options

Still away on business in Calgary, but did the run test this morning on an indoor 200 meter track at the university. (Outdoors it's -28c). 

Ran very even splits thanks to the track and executed my plan to break 25 minutes well. 

1k @ 5:01

2k @ 5:00

3k @ 5:00

4k @ 4:59

5k @ 4:47

Total time: 24:47 and a 3 point Vdot lift of 39 

Start of Nov OS: 27:45, Vdot of 33

Again I have to say how much I'm enjoying being part of this team: excellent coaches, a solid training concept, incredibly supportive and inspiring teammates.

Waiting to read all the reports as they come in!

• Options

Nice work guys!

• Options

Having quite a time these last two tests... the short story is new VDOT is 43.9, which is up from 40.4 last test...

Had two meetings cancel today so snuck out for the run test to a local jr. high's track. After one lap of warm-up literally the entire school started pouring out onto the field - fire alarm. Couldn't take the pressure of several hundred pre-teens watching so bailed for a local trail.

Figured it makes some sense to test outdoors as I will probably be making the transition from inside to outside shortly.

Well, it looks like the hot stuffy conditions of my pain cave combined with using a 2% incline the last 13 weeks is doing the job. HR was a full 10 bpm higher (easier for me to work harder when conditions are cool/cold!) than last 2 tests... I've gone from 24:48 to 23:48 to 22:11 today. VDOT from 38.6 to 40.4 to 43.9. Feelin' groovy...

Mile 1 - 7:05 (HR 170)

Mile 2 - 7:18 (HR 176)

Mile 3 - 7:06 (HR 183)

Mile 3.1 - 7:03 pace (HR 186)

Total run - 22:12

• Options
    Due to the storm rolling in, I switched my run and bike test days.

I too had almost the exact same outcome as the last test...3 seconds slower. I asked CoachP about it in the chat tonight and he said it's not uncommon to see little to no gain in the run test coming out of the V02 workouts. That made me feel a bit better about it. Hopefully the week 20 test will see some improvement.

Pace/HR
    7:09/161
    6:59/167
    6:54/174
    6:09/179

Total: 21:43
  • Options
    I also switched my bike and run test days due to the way PT plays out at work and when I have time to bike. I'm very pleased with my run time and in my past experience, my body has always responded very well to a period of speed work like the VO2 section of the outseason.

Pace per mile:
    Mile 1 - 6:07
    Mile 2 - 6:07
    Mile 3 - 5:35
    Mile 3.1 - 0:33 (5:30 pace)

Total - 18:22

Sorry for my Americanisms with the pace, but that's what I've got for now.

My last test was a 19:05 so that is a 43 second improvement. I'm pumped. I'm slowly working my way towards my goal of running a sub 18 min 5k by the end of the Outseason. There is a 5k race on the Army base here in Vicenza in March and my sights are set on the overall win.
  • Options
    Week is a little boogered...bike tested early, then a tough 24 at work to 'recover', swim/teaser run today with accels, tomorrow is son's surgery so workout is lo on the priority list, if it goes well I should be able to get on the trainer but I'll play the hand that's dealt. Should get back into some routine Thurs/Fri and will try to prep the legs for a decent run test on Saturday morning....Life on Life's Terms.

I'm absolutely DREADING this run test. I've run faster than ever before in my life but I HATE the idea of the 5k Test.

However, this hard running is helping. I'm hitting intervals that I never would have even attempted on my own.

Keep up the good work.
  • Options
    Posted By Chris Hardbeck on 01 Feb 2011 06:02 PM

Week is a little boogered...bike tested early, then a tough 24 at work to 'recover', swim/teaser run today with accels, tomorrow is son's surgery so workout is lo on the priority list, if it goes well I should be able to get on the trainer but I'll play the hand that's dealt. Should get back into some routine Thurs/Fri and will try to prep the legs for a decent run test on Saturday morning....Life on Life's Terms.

I'm absolutely DREADING this run test. I've run faster than ever before in my life but I HATE the idea of the 5k Test.

However, this hard running is helping. I'm hitting intervals that I never would have even attempted on my own.

Keep up the good work.

The 5k tests suck, especially done alone, but they used to be 10k tests...that really sucked 

• Options
    @ Chris G - perspective....got it.

Thx, and next time you're in Atlanta with a long layover, give a shout. I got a spare bike ( might be a touch small for ya ) and there is some nice riding just a short drive from the airport. And, if no time for a ride, maybe some coffee. Hartsfield can be low on the efficient scale.
  • Options

skipped the bike test cause I was out of town and then lazy.  Had no intention of doing anything like a run test but then felt weak/guilty reading about all the hard work people are doing.  Due to the storm/blizzard thing the TM was the only option.  Was still undecided when doing a warm up mile but then decided what the hell.  Did the first 1.75 at 10.0 and 1.0 incline then the rest at 2 to 3.  Not sure how to use that as a real test but will call it 18:19 - as it is too depressing to run slower than anyone who broke their hip recently :-)

now I think I will call in skiing...

• Options

I've always used 5K races as my Vdot tests so I'm postponing mine until the first hopefully snow-free race around here, on Sunday March 6 at the end of Week 18. (Plus I'm a wuss who cannot handle extended treadmill runs at Z3 or above, they just drive me out of my skull.) So I did next Wednesday's FTP run instead, and in the interest of full disclosure, I've bumped up my zones by .2MPH anyway. Yeah, I'm just out of control today; it must be all the snow. Going outside now to run the snowblower for the second time in 12 hours, before the freezing rain seeps in and turns it all to snowcrete.

10' warmup

2 x 0.5 (3'), 1 x 1.0 (5') @ Z4 9.3MPH

7'(1'), 2 x 8'(1') @ Z3 9.1MPH (see I couldn't stand to do 25' straight at Z3, had to break it up)

Total 60' 7.9 miles

• Options
    Just hate tests alone but even more when on a treadmill but totally Iced in from the storm today.

Totally surprised myself as going into the test I wasn't sure honestly how I'd be able to do with the little WORK I've been able to do on the run in the past 4 weeks. I Was just hoping for anything under 19' but with the positive tests yesterday on the no more cancer, I was on a total high and used it to start out probably faster than I would have attempted. As I got near the end with a 1/2 mile to go I saw I could maybe even get Coach P's time of 18:20 so went for it and miss calced the treadmill a little and ended with 18:21 for the 5k. Really happy with it and now have something to build on to get back to last years PR of 17:22. Its only a minute right. image

If I would have saw Chris G's post before the test I would have sprinted the last 1/4 mile and went under 18:19 though. (I'm coming for ya Chris)
  • Options
    Posted By Trent Prough on 02 Feb 2011 08:33 AM

If I would have saw Chris G's post before the test I would have sprinted the last 1/4 mile and went under 18:19 though. (I'm coming for ya Chris)

And I'm coming for you Trent! Oh, but nice work by the way.

• Options

Well its over and the right hammie was nice to me for now,,,,,sigh...ahhhh, big fat smile......NEW vDOT=48.95....3.1 mile in 20:15.......Week 8 I was at 21:30. Very Happy......Thanks for the push Team Turkery and TEAM EN>>>>>>WE ROCK!!!!!

Best 5K 3 years ago was 18:17 and 10K was 38:10.....Its coming!!!!!!

Again Thanks for the mojo and support team....This team is going to be seriously tearing the courses apart this season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    I am at a conference in Denver and got up to do my test on the hotel treadmill. I decided to bail. I warmed up, but didn't want to be trashed for the conference (I am presenting). My plan is to go home tonight and do the test this evening on my own treadmill where the test will be the same as the last one.
  • Options
    Posted By Trent Prough on 02 Feb 2011 08:33 AM

Just hate tests alone but even more when on a treadmill but totally Iced in from the storm today.

Totally surprised myself as going into the test I wasn't sure honestly how I'd be able to do with the little WORK I've been able to do on the run in the past 4 weeks. I Was just hoping for anything under 19' but with the positive tests yesterday on the no more cancer, I was on a total high and used it to start out probably faster than I would have attempted. As I got near the end with a 1/2 mile to go I saw I could maybe even get Coach P's time of 18:20 so went for it and miss calced the treadmill a little and ended with 18:21 for the 5k. Really happy with it and now have something to build on to get back to last years PR of 17:22. Its only a minute right.

That no cancer thing is AWESOME NEWS!  Guess we do not need to cut you any more slack now 

If you are coming for me you better plan on running well under 18 minutes.  I am feeling like I have a 17:40 in me this spring.  The little thing this morning never really felt that hard.  I can tell cause I did not even think about getting shot out the back into the washing machine.  That is the barometer of RPE for sure.

• Options

I shaved another 6 seconds off my PR and broke 19 in the process with an 18:57, 6:07 pace, same 53 vDot.  I feel like a car with the engine at the redline with nowhere further to go when I run that hard.   

Oh well.  I am optimistic that when it gets above 25 outside I can go faster.  

• Options

That went better than expected. Used the same treadmill and elevation as all other tests. I started at 10.7 mph and was at 11 before a couple minutes were up. I stayed below 11.1 for the first 8:30 then I cranked it up.

I started the garmin a little later than my watch so I will call it 16:40. I treadmill PR>

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/66345823

I knew I was going to have a good test when a girl at the fitness center had a pineapple willys shirt on.  (A bar on the IMFL course).   I race real well in PCB.

• Options
    Posted By Dan Gilliatt on 02 Feb 2011 01:54 PM

That went better than expected. Used the same treadmill and elevation as all other tests. I started at 10.7 mph and was at 11 before a couple minutes were up. I stayed below 11.1 for the first 8:30 then I cranked it up.

I started the garmin a little later than my watch so I will call it 16:40. I treadmill PR>

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/66345823

HOLY CRAP!!

• Options

Argh.  I wasn't in the game mentally today.  I bagged it after less than a mile on the treadmill.  I ended up doing 3x1mile @ 5k for a work-out.  I'll nail the next one outdoors on the track.

• Options

Ran a 17:55, which is a 15 sec improvement over the same course in December.

My Polar measured the course a bit short at 4.8km and reported that my heart rate was 90bpm for a large part of kilometre 4, thus screwing up my LTHR number. This despite the fact that I've measured the course previously on a bike and calibrated the Polar against it. Damn technology. I'll go Garmin next time

Still, I've got a 10km race Sunday and I know that's accurate, so that should give me a good VDOT gauge.

Keep up the good work turkeys

• Options

I do all my tests on an indoor track, year round. It's boring and alone, but it's very reproducible and EXACTLY 5K, given that it's the intercollegiate indoor meet track.

I was surprised how my legs were pretty trashed still from Monday's test...or at least sore... even with a full day off. Different muscles, though, so it couldn't have hurt too much.

I wanted to do the best I could, so I resolved to change my strategy and start fast and try to hang on. Well, I started fast, and didn't quite hang on. :-)

Mile 1 6:03

Mile 2 6:13

Mile 3 6:19

(those are deconstructed from 300 m laps)

Final total: 19:15!

Garmin file

I still have a goal of breaking 19:00 this year some time, but this is a big improvement. 25 sec faster than my last test, and PR by 18 sec.

• Options

@William,

What crazy person suggested that strategy??? Regardless, 25 seconds is a huge improvement! You'll get under 19 this year for sure.

• Options
    Indeed. A public Cry of Thanks to Matt for those words of wisdom, i.e., go out too fast and try not to die.

He put it more gracefully than that. :-)
  • Options

I'm glad you PR'd. I would have felt really bad otherwise. Maybe even pacing would have yielded better results. Trial and error.

• Options
    Nice work William, exactly how I run a 5k race, tmill is different for me me.
  • Options

Got my 5K done outside. Wk 8 was a fail so comparing to Wk 1:7:18 pace and tonight's: 6:53. I'm much happier than after Mon's test. Hopefully I'll remember to run the same route for the last test.

Nice job to everyone. you guys and gals are smoking fast!

• Options

I probally should have punted to another day. I had to travel all day and tried to do the test when I got back to the town this evening. I wasn't feeling it and my running hasn't been on in recent weeks. I ended up sliding backwards a little to 19:15 for a loss of 2 VDOT points. I'm looking at it as a check up and need to get refocused for the next 6 weeks.

Some crazy times being run today. Congrats to all.

• Options
    Not sure whats going on... had 2 days hard rest but didn't have any mojo for the deadmill test tonight. Tried to get it done... got a couple of miles of warmup including a few fast breaks.

Rest my garmin and cranked up the speed. Within the first 1/2 mile I started to get tight hamies and I pulled the plug. Got off and stretched a bit and found my adductors (gracilis I think) were very thght and tender... no idea why... well that just flushed the last of my motivation.... Not sure when I wil reschedule...... So I got dressed and went outside to shovel snow for a while.....

Epic failure for me, but it looks like most everyone is making good progress. Nice work all!
  • Options
    Posted By Steve West on 02 Feb 2011 08:37 PM

Not sure whats going on... had 2 days hard rest but didn't have any mojo for the deadmill test tonight. Tried to get it done... got a couple of miles of warmup including a few fast breaks.

Rest my garmin and cranked up the speed. Within the first 1/2 mile I started to get tight hamies and I pulled the plug. Got off and stretched a bit and found my adductors (gracilis I think) were very thght and tender... no idea why... well that just flushed the last of my motivation.... Not sure when I wil reschedule...... So I got dressed and went outside to shovel snow for a while.....

Epic failure for me, but it looks like most everyone is making good progress. Nice work all!

the key is to care enough about the epic failure and convince yourself that anyone else actually cares enough to get yourself through the next test.  Bottom line is that no one cares but you will always know or whatever the famous qoute is.  It is hard, gotta find whatever demons you can muster to get youself through it.  Racing long is hard as well, the same demons you can muster in the middle of winter will serve you well later on.  

Never accept failure, plan to crush it later on...