Home Group Discussion-OutSeason November 2010
Options

Week 15 Bike

I was time-crunched this morning so I swapped my Tuesday and Thursday bike workouts. I did 3x10(4) today and hit my zones. New FTP is 252 and I ended up with 253, 255, 252. Didn't feel easy.

My arms feel surprisingly good after last nights swim. I'm thinking it's the TRX.

Comments

• Options

Holy Crap the Gorilla got bigger this morning for me.  I had 2 X 20s on new zones with a target of 276w or higher.  Went into it expecting a battle and got one.  So glad that one is over for the day.  Run = connect.garmin.com/activity/67341058 

Interval 1:

Duration:     20:07

TSS:           31.4 (intensity factor 0.968)

Norm Power:       281

Interval 3:

Duration:     20:46

TSS:           32.1 (intensity factor 0.963)

Norm Power:       279

Entire workout (240 watts):

Duration:     1:03:47

TSS:           85.1 (intensity factor 0.898)

Norm Power:       261
  • Options
    Nice work to get those full 20s in. I expect I'll be dividing & conquering...

doing mine tomorrow, got the run today.
  • Options
    Had a few "why am I doing this" moments but got it done nonetheless. Sure will be nice when race season starts (bike club time trials mid-March) so I can start seeing the benefits of all this work.
    18' warmup
    20' @ 227W (0.98), cadence 86, HR 161
    20' @ 224W (0.97), cadence 86, HR 163
    9' @ 193W (0.83), cadence 91, HR 154
    Total bike 75', TSS 95.1 (0.87)
    Treadmill run 9' @ 8.7MPH (2') 9' @ 9.1MPH
  • Options

Damn, I missed the extra 15 min on the bike!  Will add to Thurs....

Kevin,  great stats today!!

• Options

I agree with Simmons today was a double bear and whatever other animal on my back and legs. New it was going to be a struggle when the warm up wasn't easy: Done though. We pulled the trainers out in front of the big screen and kicked on the Hawaii Ironman Championship race, surround sound blaren and off we went.........

Interval 1:

Duration: 20:01

Work: 237 kJ

TSS: 31.2 (intensity factor 0.968)

Norm Power: 198

Interval 3:

Duration: 20:01 (20:03)

Work: 229 kJ

TSS: 29.2 (intensity factor 0.935)

Norm Power: 192

Entire workout (167 watts):

Duration: 1:16:04 (1:16:17)

Work: 763 kJ

TSS: 97.4 (intensity factor 0.879)

Norm Power: 180

Then jumped off the bike and onto the tredmill for the 20 min brick. Run felt great nailed the MP and HMP. I was suprized how well it felt. Then went to the gym stretched and foam rolled for about 40 minutes. Finally soaked in the hot tub....aaaahhhhhhhhhh

I really think this week 15 is HELL WEEK....Team Turkey the seals have nothing on us......

• Options

Nice work Nofstger!!  Way to get it done!!!!!

• Options

Nice work everybody.  

It was a tough day for me too.  I hit the first 20 @ 308, but had nothing left for the second one and could only do 278.  That left me with about 8 minutes at .85.  The run wasn't too bad; 10 minutes at 6:55, 10 at 6:38.  

Let's not forget how hard last week was.  Two tests, three bricks, and a hard run on Sunday.  None of us are exactly fresh at the moment.   

• Options
    @Chris - no kidding. Sunday finally caught up with me last night and I had to take a IB just to be able to sleep. Also, thanks for the advice about putting the sensor on the back wheel.

Yes, I finally knuckled under and decided that HR and cadence wasn't giving me enough feedback, so I bought a new computer that runs off the back wheel. I re-tested last Saturday to get a AVSPD for the 40' TT. I can see know more accurately the cardiac drift as I keep the cadence AND speed constant @ Z4.

Got in all the biking set for today @Z4 and Z3 and managed to get 2 treadmill miles in @Z2 and Z3. But the biggest accomplishment may have been that I got all this in AND made it to work by 0730! Looking forward to good night's sleep and to lace up for another early morning! My wife says I am crossing the line between early morning riser and nocturnal!
  • Options
    Posted By Joe Hallatschek on 08 Feb 2011 12:23 PM

@Chris - no kidding. Sunday finally caught up with me last night and I had to take a IB just to be able to sleep. Also, thanks for the advice about putting the sensor on the back wheel.

Yes, I finally knuckled under and decided that HR and cadence wasn't giving me enough feedback, so I bought a new computer that runs off the back wheel. I re-tested last Saturday to get a AVSPD for the 40' TT. I can see know more accurately the cardiac drift as I keep the cadence AND speed constant @ Z4.

Got in all the biking set for today @Z4 and Z3 and managed to get 2 treadmill miles in @Z2 and Z3. But the biggest accomplishment may have been that I got all this in AND made it to work by 0730! Looking forward to good night's sleep and to lace up for another early morning! My wife says I am crossing the line between early morning riser and nocturnal!

No problem, and nice work!

• Options
    Barely squeezed it out today...legs very tired. I'll do the brick run on Thursday.

20' @ 187, IF: 0.931
    20' @ 192, IF: 0.955
    10' @ 163, IF: 0.809

Total bike: 1:15:00
  • Options
    Had some trouble today but salvaged a 3x10 instead of 2x20 at 268, 261, 256. FTP is 272. I will probably do 3x12 on Thursday. Making the transition back to FTP work is rough on me and I am having trouble bridging the gap. I will adapt.
  • Options
    Posted By Dan Gilliatt on 08 Feb 2011 03:57 PM

Had some trouble today but salvaged a 3x10 instead of 2x20 at 268, 261, 256. FTP is 272. I will probably do 3x12 on Thursday. Making the transition back to FTP work is rough on me and I am having trouble bridging the gap. I will adapt.

Dan it appears we all are feeling it bro....nice getting it done though....

• Options
    Posted By Shaughn Simmons on 08 Feb 2011 11:06 AM

Nice work Nofstger!!  Way to get it done!!!!!

Simmons-Thanks and looks as if the whole crew (Nov Os) is feeling this workout.  Can't wait to see the progress come race season.  EN shall shine .

• Options
    Oh my... just didn't feel it 5 minutes into so made it 4X10' and they went .99, .98, 1.01, .99 Also decided to do run on thurs. after since short on time today.

Heading back to Maui soon to get in some more OWS. Bike and run may suffer a little but so worth the purchase of the new property.
  • Options
    Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't. Didn't feel like a nut today. Warm-up was grim, tried do some Z3 work first to try and loosen-up. Did a 1X20 at .84 that felt like the second 20 of a FTP test. By 6" into first 1X20 at ~.97 I had already used up all my "just get it done" mental gymanstics and tricks... had to tap out.

Ever have a day where you are consciously aware of every single pedal stroke? That was me today.

Tomorrow is another day.
  • Options
    Posted By Art Zaske on 08 Feb 2011 05:21 PM

Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't. Didn't feel like a nut today. Warm-up was grim, tried do some Z3 work first to try and loosen-up. Did a 1X20 at .84 that felt like the second 20 of a FTP test. By 6" into first 1X20 at ~.97 I had already used up all my "just get it done" mental gymanstics and tricks... had to tap out.

Ever have a day where you are consciously aware of every single pedal stroke? That was me today.

Tomorrow is another day.

Art - good job just trying to get the wko in. It's amazing what we are doing when you step back and really look at it. Smart not to push it when it's not there - this is suppossed to be fun!

• Options

Did some hard labor before my bike today so was pretty concerned about how much energy I would have left.

Thought I would mentally cave if I saw I was unable to push the appropriate watts , so I thought I would prevent that from happening by putting tape over the power tap.   I figured I would ride to feel today and get the 2 X20's regardless of how I felt.

It hurt bad, wanted to quit, but pushed through.     Finished with intervals of 262 and 252  ( FTP-257)  Final 15' at 85% was 224.

Don't think I would have hit any of those #'s if I had not taped over the monitor.  Was very happy with the outcome.

Somedays the body is stronger than the mind, other days it is the other way around.  

• Options
    Very happy with today's work.

2x 20 at 255, 256. , i.e., right at 100%

Schedule cut down the 85% to zero, but it was to immediately take kids to indoor soccer at the great university facility...it's an indoor full football field on a great turf. I just run around and around. (A lot of parents walk/jog...it's actually pretty cool) So I ran a little lnonger to make up.

7+ mi at 6:55 pace.

Felt great. Just great. Hard, but not wipe-out hard. Just one of those really ON days where you feel good when you're done even if here and there was a bit of pushing while doing it.

Great work Bob... I sat around and putzed at my desk all day. :-)
  • Options
    Finally back to the bike... but decided to run first... went 7 miles in 58 minutes - included 1x1 and 1x2 @ Z3. Overall run @ 8:18

Quick change and onto the bike - tough start... not wanting to get going but had to suck it up and push.

20' @ 209 (0.973)
    20 @ 205 (0.952)

Didn't get far in the 85% stuff - like 4 minutes and pulled the plug.
    Total bike 60' @ 191 (0.889)

I have to say I was really suffering from fatigue and burnout from the VO2 sets but got back to running more miles at my happy pace, started swimming, going xc skiing has done wonders for my mental and physical well being. There was just too much pain cave and not nearly enough fun. Well, I'm back and I plan to do lots of fun stuff - run, ski, swim and if I can fit it in.... some bike.

Got a 5 day, 65 mile backcountry ski tour coming up in a couple of weeks and I cant wait!
  • Options
    Got yesterday's brick in today...

a little beat from a 24 hr shift but you gotta play the hand that's dealt ya.

broke the 2x20's down to 8x5's. and glad I did. that last 5' was tough for me. But perfect setup according to the Allen/Coggan book cuz it was the first interval that fell off the pace.

Pnorms were all around 211-208 except the last one where it dropped to 200. IF's were right at .95, except the last one at .91, thus perfect time to stop.
    10' at .8 before the brick run which went fine, ez over the hills to the flatter path where I picked up the pace and then came home ez over the hills again.

happy with today's workout.

Good Job to All.

@ Steve - I'm thinking you'll be in pretty good shape for the ski tour!
  • Options
    Starting a day behind this week. I'm not sure if I'm a little burned out or what right now, but motivation is hard to come by the past two weeks. Decided to take the rest days back to back and I'm going to try to stay on schedule otherwise. Despite the mental battle the legs did well with some extra rest.

20' @ 266, .984
    20' @267, .989
    15' @ 233, .863
    30' run felt good.

• Options
    Starting to feel at home in the new zones, but it still sure feels like work...
    19' warmup
    20' @ 227W (0.98), cadence 86, HR 158
    20' @ 223W (0.96), cadence 87, HR 160
    17' @ 190W (0.82), cadence 90, HR 151
    Total 75', TSS 88.6 (0.84)
  • Options

Entire workout (233 watts):
    Duration: 1:16:12

Work: 1064 kJ

TSS: 92.8 (intensity factor 0.857)

Norm Power: 249

Paid back 15 minutes to the FTP Gods from missing that in the Tues workout.

Check..............

• Options
    Well finally felt like a some what normal workout of the old days. Held the 100% (and think I may have been able to go harder) then the 85% stuff felt like a nice effort but nothing too taxing (like it has lately). I've even lost back 3 lbs. and back down to 140lbs. So that puts the w/kg. back to where I like it heading. We'll see if it was just one of those days or its a thing heading in the right direction finally.
  • Options
    I felt human again today, not sure what was up Tuesday as my HR was high on the intervals, and I was out of breath in a strange way so Tues day I suffered and did 3x10
    Today, I planned on doing 3x12 to sort of bridge up. I ended up doing 2x10 then 1x20 as 277, 270, 263. I did the workouts in 3d mode on the computrainer that changed things up a bit and dropped my cadence quite a bit to around 81-82. Cadence has never been an issue before, guessing it is more of an gear issue than a me issue.

Entire workout (241 watts):
    Duration: 1:03:31
    Work: 920 kJ
    TSS: 88.1 (intensity factor 0.941)
    Norm Power: 256
    VI: 1.06
    Pw:HR: 6.47%
    Pa:HR: 4.39%
    Distance: 24.59 mi
    Elevation Gain: 10 ft
    Elevation Loss: 0 ft
    Grade: 0.0 % (15 ft)
    Min Max Avg
    Power: 0 478 241 watts
    Heart Rate: 84 164 150 bpm
    Cadence: 30 156 82 rpm
    Speed: 0 32.1 23.2 mph
    Pace 1:52 0:00 2:35 min/mi
    Hub Torque: 0 18 7 lb-in
    Altitude: 1024 1043 1034 ft
    Crank Torque: 0 1078 251 lb-in
    Temperature: 68 71.6 69.8 Fahrenheit

• Options

Today was good! Downed some Jet Fuel from Infinite and this engine took off.....much different than Tuesdays workout.

Interval 1:

Duration: 15:01

Work: 187 kJ

TSS: 25.6 (intensity factor 1.012)

Norm Power: 207

Interval 3:

Duration: 15:01 (15:02)

Work: 186 kJ

TSS: 25.4 (intensity factor 1.007)

Norm Power: 206

Then z3 for 29 minutes

Interval 5:

Duration: 29:47 (31:09)

Work: 307 kJ

TSS: 35.1 (intensity factor 0.848)

Entire workout (170 watts):

Duration: 1:15:18 (1:16:45)

Work: 767 kJ

TSS: 99.2 (intensity factor 0.895)

Norm Power: 183

• Options

The Pain Cave, aka my garage, got some winterizing to keep the outside differential to about 20 degrees. So at a balmy 40 degrees, I could finally warm-up and get the HR to rise.

2X15' (4') @AVHR Z3 and Z4 with PE @ Z4

2X 4' (1') @ AVHR & PE Z3

Total wko = 63 minutes

Got my Lazer Tardiz aero-helmet in today. Can't wait for the weather to get a bit better to get out for a long ride to check it out. Of course, in the early weekend hours so I don't look totally geeked out!

• Options

I swapped my Tuesday and Thursday workouts this week. Did 2x20 this morning and really felt great. I hit 255 for the first and 258 for the second 20. I feel like I responded well to the VO2 block and am absorbing the stress. Didn't run because it was so stinking cold here. I may run in the morning. Then again, I may not.

• Options
    @Carl nice work, careful on the jet fuel you are hyper enough already, enjoy Sunday I heard you are working at 4. Maybe Bernie can give you some tips.
  • Options
    Looks like we are all feeling the effects of week 15 so great job everyone getting it done. Did the Tuesday workout yesterday and the regular Thursday today.
    Wednesday
    20' @ .97
    20' @ .973

Thursday
    15' @ .987
    15' @ 1.03 - Held 300w for the last 5' which left me shaking and lightheaded. If I was clipped in I may have fallen off the trainer.

No bricks as I can't run outside with my little one but do have a new treadmill coming, albeit a few months too late. Looking forward to the Wed run tomorrow and may even swim!