Home Group Discussion-OutSeason November 2010
Options

Week 15 Run

mixed up the days this week due to work...

10' warmup, then 1x1mile and 2x800s at 7:00 pace with 3' recovery between, followed by 15' at 7:45.

put the full mile in front of the half's cuz the calf was a little tender and didn't know how long til it screamed.  worked out well, tho.  paces hit and no problem with the leg.

Y'all take it from here....

Comments

• Options
    Missed the 5k test last week. The weather in Dallas was f'd up (all ice all week), so I'll probably do it on the treadmill on Thu.

Usually I do the scheduled Wed run on both Tue and Thu. The Adv OS 4x800m ended up on the treadmill today at lunch:
    .57m @ 7:11
    .556m @ 7:08
    .561 @ 6:59
    .567 @ 6:54
    Filled out the rest of the time with z4 work (since my test hasn't been redone in a while), the old z4 seems to be my new z3 based on RPE.
  • Options

Well hit it early again d/t this being a work day. Nailed it and felt great. 7.5 miles in an hour.  1 mile wu, then 1 mile at 8.6 and 0.5x2@8.6 mph

The bad news...dry heaving and spitting up water happened....worse news....it woke Mrs. Noftsger up from upstairs, she came downstairs asked if I was okay, then threw a towel at me and asked to clean it up when I was done!!

Think I am needing some SAP's!!!!!

• Options
    AS the plan says today. Nothing more nothing less. 800's at 9.8mph.
    Now off to work in the below zero weather... should be real fun!
  • Options
    Did the plan and felt good doing it. As long as I keep the treadmill intervals to 8' or less, they're not too bad. Just don't ask me to do a 5K test on the treadmill.
    10' warmup
    2 x .5, 1 x 1 mile @ 9.3MPH
    3 x 7'(2') @ 9.1MPH
    Total 60' 7.8 miles
  • Options
    I'm with you Kevin... I can do ~45 min steady on the t-mill without getting pretty bored, too.. But I have a hard time imagining a 5K on it. But maybe that's because I haven't tried it. :-)
  • Options
    I will not be able to do the Z4 work this Sunday (XC skiing), so I did more FTP work than on the plan today. I did 2 x 2mi Z4 @ 7:20. Had a bad side stitch half way through the first interval and had to stand down for 30 secs or so and it went away so I finished up the interval. Recurred at the end of the second interval and slowed the pace down. Lesson learned - no Frapaccino before speed work!
  • Options

Got out there and rocked the run.....Timmmmmy! Too hard again, was aiming for Z4 pace = 8:22  

1 x 800 @ 3:54

1 x 800 @ 3:52

1 x 1600 @ 7:54

16' @ Z3-4 again too hard.

Can't slow down 

• Options
    Posted By Elly Winer on 09 Feb 2011 01:52 PM

Got out there and rocked the run.....Timmmmmy! Too hard again, was aiming for Z4 pace = 8:22  

Can't slow down 

Damn Elly, that's impressive enough without considering the temps!  I think the rule is you get to add 2 zones once you run in sub-zero temps - so looks closer to Z5 to me...............

• Options
    Posted By Shaughn Simmons on 09 Feb 2011 03:16 PM
    Posted By Elly Winer on 09 Feb 2011 01:52 PM

Can't slow down 

Damn Elly, that's impressive enough without considering the temps!  I think the rule is you get to add 2 zones once you run in sub-zero temps - so looks closer to Z5 to me...............

• Options
    Got it done on the station treadmill.
    4x800
    2:57
    2:55
    2:52

Sorta felt like running a little more today for no particular reason so I went 9 miles in 58 minutes. Not too shabby.
  • Options

Looks like I am one of many that had to use the treadmill today. For me, it was a first ever to do intervals so I didn't know what was a "right" pace. Although I've been "lurking" and taking mental notes on everyone's treadmill posts, I have yet to see anything that accounts for the no less than 1.5% incline on my treadmill. If you've got this figured out - please send my way.

Warm up - 10'

.5 @ 7mph

.5 @ 7mph start and last .25 @7.5

1 mi @ 7mph and last .5 @ 7.5mph

Cool down - 10' with 3 X strides @ 8mph

So, I gained some confidence today and although it was a bit "sloppy" with the HR and PE, I at least have a mark on the wall.

• Options
    Posted By Dan Gilliatt on 09 Feb 2011 06:30 PM

Got it done on the station treadmill.

4x800

2:57

2:52

Sorta felt like running a little more today for no particular reason so I went 9 miles in 58 minutes. Not too shabby.

Nice work!!

• Options
    I got to the track today and found my legs a bit heavy from yesterday, but it was worth having such a good day yesterday. I know this sounds funny, but it seemed like less mental work to do 2 x 1 mi than 4 x 0.5 mi, so that's what I did.

I have a terrible history of not doing the TP miles where I'm supposed to. I really tried to back off today, but it was still somewhat too fast. But much closer. Of course, maybe that's cuz i just bumped up the VDOT.

2 x 1.12 mi @ 6:28, 6:25 (target 6:38)

3.63 mi @ 6:49

Total 7.66 mi in 54:22, 7:06 ave.
  • Options
    @ Joe - they say lack of wind resistance and the moving belt make it easier to at a given pace on a deadmill than the same pace on a rigid surface..... me.... I run flat...zero incline because sometimes my achillies bother me from the steady uphill....... I'll wait till the ice and snow are off my local hill and do repeats out there....

Did 10 miles tonight. Got 2 miles of Z4 in at the end. Did a progression starting at 6.8 (8:49) then upping the speed by 0.2 every mile till 8.2 (7:19) for 2 miles. last mile was at 8:30 to cool down. Overall 1:20 @ 8:00

8:49; 8:34; 8:20; 8:06; 7:54; 7:42; 7:30; 7:19; 7:19; 8:30

Way to give 'em hell.....
  • Options
    Went outside today and Garmin promptly died... RPE day... checked the box.
  • Options

Had to run on the treadmill again today for the 4 X 800's.   Used the treadmill more this year than the last 3 years combined.

10.1 pace @ 1 %  pushed me hard and caused me to sweat my azz off.  So different than running outside, but I'm actually starting to like it. Followed by some good functional strength and core work.

Starting to feel little run down,  sore throat coming, body a little achey.  I think the body is trying to tell me something.   I guess keeping up these intense workouts, working full time along with shovelling off 5 roofs in the past week as well as reffing multiple B-ball games has my body sarting to wave the white flag.  I'm listening, extra day off is coming  ( I don't like it but will obey the warning signs !!)

• Options

I've really been trying to add more HMP stuff after the "work" section of these runs, and since then my total mileage for a 60:00 run has gone up.  I would almost always end up with 8 miles/hr no matter what the intervals were.  

After a 3 mile warmup I did the 2x.5 @ 6:32, 1x1 @ 6:32, then the remainder at 6:40 for a total of 8.66 miles in 60:00. 

• Options

been feeling crappy the last couple days, today was actually a return to something like training, did the 4x800 on the mill, 5 miles in a touch under 35 minutes.  Felt much harder than it should have.  Hope to get the 3x10 in tomorrow.

• Options
    Does it seem odd to anyone else that the Intermediate plan was 2x800, 1x1600, and the Advanced was 4x800 all at Z4? Also, the Int plan was 60min and the Adv was 45min. I feel like I slacked with only doing 52min.
  • Options
    Staying on the day behind plan. 4 x 800 on the old treadmill. Need to get back outside.

3:08
    3:07
    3:10
    3:10
  • Options
    2nd time doing run workout this week (3x800 + 1x400). Much better this go around!!!
    4x800' (.5mile) = .588 @ 6:34, .562 @ 6:42, .558 @ 6:41, .286 @ 6:42

Also, the previously-mentioned "best place on the treadmills" at the gym, where the air was always blowing...not so good today. The air was turned off! It was stifling in there!
  • Options
    Got Wednesday's 2x 1/2 mile, 1x 1 mile run today. I was so in the bag after Tuesday's bike I had to take Wednesday off. I hope I can now string 4 days of OS work together! We'll see.

---Ann.
  • Options
    It's 30 degrees and winds are calm. Perfect - out to get Sunday's run wko in before generating some SAUs. Tomorow morning I'll do the brick - since I'll have more time. Whoo-hoo! Wish I could run in my new EN kit - just a bit too chilly and not that crazy yet.
  • Options
    Flip flopped Sat/Sun workout d/t work.
    Run completed.
  • Options

Another run in the books. After comparing this wko to week 4's wko, I am actually a little (4sec/mi) faster with only 2' rest instead of week 4's rest of 4'.

2 X 1mi @ 6:43, 6:29 (target was 6:45)

Time to kick back and celebrate (always looking for a reason) with a beer! image

• Options

I swapped my Saturday and Sunday workouts this weekend. I'm a bit more focused on my long run now and I find that the Saturday VO2/brick negatively impacts it. The plan was to run 10 miles with 2 warm up then 2x2 at goal HMP. I hit miles 2-3 at 6:22 and 6:18 (a bit fast). I was going to recover for a mile then do another 2 hard. I ended up running my recovery mile at 6:50 pace and felt abssolutely great. I decided to skip the intervals and just run the rest by feel. I ended up with 10 miles in 67:30 (6:45 pace) average. I hit the last mile in 6:25. I am getting psyched for the half mary that I'm doing in March. We'll see how I feel tomorrow but I feel pretty good right now.

• Options
    @Matt Killer run. You have to love that last mile.
  • Options

Very inpressive run Matt.  Can't wait to hear about you rockin that Half Mary !!! 

• Options

I had to do the Sunday run yesterday, but I did wait until several hours after the bike.  It was nice to get outside but I did cut it a little short since I knew I would be fatigued.

Target 6:32 for the 2x1 and I hit 6:34 and 6:21 (some downhill) with an overall pace of 7:00 for 41:00.

connect.garmin.com/activity/67922779