Home Racing Forum 🏎
Options

areo bars, compatibility, and possible code violations

Clip on aero bars? I went to the old forum and found a few threads on clip on aero bars. My problem is my handlebars are oval and not perfectly round. Because of this, I am having issues mounting the bars on my bike. I am looking for options here.   

I am not much of a bike tech guy and do not know anything about the “EN Cycling Code” http://www.endurancenation.us/en_forums/showthread.php?t=1751&highlight=bike+code&page=3.

If I have to replace my handlebars, does it make sense and would it even be compatible to mount a tri style bar on a road bike (and move to bar end shifters)? If it is possible, is it politically, socially, or whatever correct as far as the “code”.  I do not want someone to rip me off my bike and kick me in the nuts as someone said in one of the other posts.

What other options do I have? I am trying to get this figured out for my first Ironman May 1st.

Comments

• Options
    Well, you probably could put aerobars with bar end shifters on any frame. And you can probably buy a seat stem to get a tighter angle on your position too. But the question is- do you want to convert your road bike to a "tri" bike? Or do you want to be able to ride your road bike like a road bike when your not training for Triathlon?
  • Options
    I know I will be using my road bike as a “tri” bike in May. I think at the least it is a no brainier to attach aero bars. I started looking at replacing my handlebar due to the mounting issues with the aero bars. Does anyone know if there is a way to mount aero bars on oval handlebars? I’m just trying to think what I can do to set the bike up for my race. I came across a used tri style handle bar with brake levers and cables. My thinking was if I was going through the hassle of changing the handlebars anyway why don’t I do it twice once before the race to get a more tri bike setup and once after the race to get my road bike back.

(I wasn’t sure where to post this question.) I am basically looking for what I can do to setup my road bike for a long distance triathlon.
  • Options
    I'd like to add that there is a lot more to converting a road bike to a tri bike than adding aero bars, clip on or other wise. I think you'll find the bike incredibly uncomfortable unless you start tweaking the fit, which probably means moving the seat forward to increase the seat angle, raising the seat minimally to offset the forward seat and lowering the front bars to get more aero. EN has a great bike fit download, also available from TTbikeFit.com.

I can link it if you can't find it quickly.

tom
  • Options

Tom B-

Before I decided to do a full iron, I was doing halfs on road bikes and later a road bike converted to a "tri" bike as best as could be done. That "conversion" cost me $900 to get a comfortable position. I had (and for the most part continue to have) very minimal bike mechanic skills. It involved new handlebars, clip on aerobars with bar end shifters, seat tube change for angle adjustment, saddle change,... um I think that's it. But between the fit, the labor and parts, it was expensive. But if buying a tri bike is not in the cards, it can be done.

I will add that the following season I bought a tri bike and am much more comfortable, all things considered. It's just that now I wish I had not done it since I want to sell that bike. I have more bike gear in the basement that I "intend to sell" someday....

• Options

Second that. My story is similar to Michele's: I spent about $700 converting my road bike to a tri bike - with the help of ttbikefit.

Good part: My road bike is now set up more similarly to my tri bike and I like it that way.

Bad part: I have had my new tri bike for a few months and adore it. In my case, aero tt bike build for me was leagues more comfortable than my converted road bike. I'm guessing some bikes convert better than others and my long across the top tube Lemond left me pretty wobbly with more weight over the front wheel.

If I were going to do it over again, I would've scraped together a decent aero fit with the cheapest/most resaleable components I could find until I could buy a proper tt bike.