Home Group Discussion-OutSeason November 2010
Options

Week 16 bike

I'm a day ahead so did Tuesday's brick today.  I finally feel like I've consolidated my new FTP.  With a target of 306, I hit 309, 304, and 310 for the 3x12s.  

Comments

• Options
    Loving IT!!!!

Interval 1:
    Duration: 12:01
    Work: 150 kJ
    TSS: 20.5 (intensity factor 1.013)
    Norm Power: 208

Interval 3:
    TSS: 20.4 (intensity factor 1.009)
    Norm Power: 207

Interval 5:
    Work: 149 kJ
    TSS: 20.4 (intensity factor 1.008)
    Norm Power: 207

Then 21 minutes at IF 0.91!!

Entire workout (171 watts):
    Duration: 1:16:15 (1:18:16)
    Work: 782 kJ
    TSS: 105.2 (intensity factor 0.915)
    Norm Power: 188

Then ran 25 min in and out of MP and HMP......
  • Options
    Did you miss me? Sorry to have been MIA, but I took the first week of Feb to do a mini-taper for my "A" ski race which was last Sunday. It went reasonably well...I'll post a full RR sometime soon. Was planning to train on through after the race, but I ended up catching a miserable cold which combined with the race recovery set me back most of last week too. In any case, I'm back and feeling pretty good...committed to 100% attendance from here on out, including all brick runs!

Had a little trouble with the 2x20' today, so broke it into 1x20', 1x12', 1x8', but I hit all the intervals and finished with 6' @ ~90%. All in all felt pretty good. We'll see how the brick goes! Good to be back!
  • Options
    @Chris and Carl Way to lead it out. Solid rides.
    @Carl I can't believe you got up at 3:30 to do bike intervals. Hardcore.

I got my bike done before work this morning. It only took me the last 10 weeks to find enough motivation to get back on the bike before work. Went well enough once I got moving. I'll run after work today.

20' @ 262 (.97)
    20' @ 272 (1.008)
  • Options

Hi Bill. Welcome back!

I broke mine up as 2x10(1) and 1x20 and hit 251, 250 and 254. Had to cut my run short but got in 20 minutes and felt great. Might go swimming tonight.

• Options

Actually got out of bed and got it done.  Been missing tons of bike work and it shows.  Think this is the only time I have done a 2x20 since xmas.  296 and 290.  All things considered I will take it.  Much harder than 3x10.  Ran 5 miles pretty strong.

TIme to start ramping up the riding again...

• Options
    Hit the targets. I'll take this FTP work over the 5x2.5 VO2 intervals any day.
    18' warmup
    12' @ 227W (0.98), cadence 88, HR 161
    12' @ 228W (0.98), cadence 88, HR 165
    12' @ 226W (0.97), cadence 88, HR 165
    9' @ 193W (0.83), cadence 90, HR 151
    Total bike 75', TSS 92.7 (0.856)
    My left ankle developed a bit of a twinge after Sunday's treadmill run, so I'm putting the run workouts on hold until the twinge is gone. Nothing serious, but I'm not taking any chances.
  • Options
    Posted By Rob Allen on 15 Feb 2011 07:13 AM

@Chris and Carl Way to lead it out. Solid rides.

@Carl I can't believe you got up at 3:30 to do bike intervals. Hardcore.

I got my bike done before work this morning. It only took me the last 10 weeks to find enough motivation to get back on the bike before work. Went well enough once I got moving. I'll run after work today.

20' @ 262 (.97)

20' @ 272 (1.008)

Rob-

To be honest I am so use to it but the wife is starting to dislike the 8:00 pm bed times.  When I work at the firehouse I just like to have it all done before I get here.  I then lift and do either P90X or some sort of circuit with the crew.

Last year we ran 4 marathons and a majority of our runs started at 0245-0300.  Loved the low humidity and no traffic.  Paid for it in jamaica tough cause at 0515 when they started the marathon d/t heat and humidity it was 82 degrees and very humid. 

Nice Bike my friend!!!

• Options
    I'll be taking it somewhat easy this week, as I head to TX "Hill Country" for a three day cycling "base camp" with a local tri club.
    Planning on ~60 miles Saturday, ~100 on Sunday and ~50 on Monday. Hopefully the OS work will enable me to do all that (based on previous experience with me and ToCA campers, it should).

"Hill Country" is Fredericksburg TX, a little German-based town west of Austin is quite hilly, especially for TX standards. Has a little brewery, a german biergarten and some cool other little things to see/do.
  • Options

The new zones are really humbling for me. I had a 2X20 but had to break it down to a 2X15 (3’) and 1x10 (2’). I also got in a total of 17 minutes of Z3 time then ran. Run was ugly and kind of a hobbling event because my right calf still tight and recovering from Sunday’s over achieving Z4 mileage…. :0)…….on hills….

Guys this is a good example of how over achieving on one workout prevents you from obtaining the goals of another workout.   Use this as a reminder to stay true to the plan.

@Carl, you're a mad man....super nice work on those 2X20s

@Rob, same to you, those bad boys are not easy, you nailed them!

@Chris G - pushing 300 watts for a 2 X 20 is something close to bike hell in my opinion - nice work!

@Kevin - you're like a Swiss clock - super consistent and always hitting the mark!

@Matt - smart guy - same here, had to break'em up but did get it done!  Just wish I could run like you!

Interval 1:

Duration:       15:07

TSS:                24.2 (intensity factor 0.979)

Norm Power: 284

Interval 3:

Duration:       15:11

TSS:                24 (intensity factor 0.974)

Norm Power: 283

Interval 5:

Duration:       10:06

TSS:                15.6 (intensity factor 0.963)

Norm Power: 279

Entire workout (239 watts):

Duration:       1:16:01

TSS:                98.2 (intensity factor 0.883)

Norm Power: 256

RUN:

connect.garmin.com/activity/68426214

• Options
    Posted By Scott Alexander on 15 Feb 2011 09:08 AM

I'll be taking it somewhat easy this week, as I head to TX "Hill Country" for a three day cycling "base camp" with a local tri club.

Planning on ~60 miles Saturday, ~100 on Sunday and ~50 on Monday. Hopefully the OS work will enable me to do all that (based on previous experience with me and ToCA campers, it should).

"Hill Country" is Fredericksburg TX, a little German-based town west of Austin is quite hilly, especially for TX standards. Has a little brewery, a german biergarten and some cool other little things to see/do.

Scott, have a great time - some damn tough hills (and triathletes) down here in the Austin Hill country - however, I know how strong you are on the bike so represent well and enjoy!!!

• Options
    Posted By Scott Alexander on 15 Feb 2011 09:08 AM

Enjoy but post some brewery pics please!

• Options
    @Scott - don't forget the wineries - Becker Vineyards and Fredericksburg Winery are both worth the visit!
    @Bill - yes, as a matter of fact. We also have dropped a few other regulars we used to see daily.

I couldn't figure out how to get in a 1:45hr wko in before work, so I just went in late. I feel oppressed when I wake up before 0430 to get a wko in!

Hit all targets on the bike and finished strong. I am working on getting the rpms/cadence up to 85 or so on the Z3 - I read that on a post somewhere as the ideal rpm/cadence.

For the run, I felt unusually strong and ended up with 3.2mi @ 8:19 overall, which is smokin' for me! Back on schedule tomorrow!
  • Options
    166 of us in Nov OS group, but it seems like at most 20 of us post our workout results. I wonder why? I find it very motivating, and appreciate the support, and, well, misery loves company right? Given I can't race in this winter weather, if I was trying to stick to an intense workout plan like this all on my own, without knowing you folks were right there with me, I would have gone off the rails months ago for sure!
  • Options
    I had a very just workmanlike bike. I haven't yet got that overachieving mojo back that we had in those first 6 weeks.. The last few Tuesdays have all had the same schedule that made it hard to do any extra time past the main interval on the bike. In fact today, I had to cut it a few min short:

Very quick warmup (~10 min)
    20 min 255
    15 min 254
    Total of 55 min

Hop off and move kids to indoor soccer...

Then get the running shoes on to go during soccer.

Overall run - 7 miles in 48 min
    Main set 6.6 miles at 6:45 average. (45 min)

Truth is the effort was closer to a 6:30 pace because of all the slower parents and nets I had to dodge tonight, but that's life. :-)

So my total workout length was about right, but I moved some bike time to run.

Kevin - I'm with you. Very valuable to have a community here. I suspect some people have "gym memberships", i.e., pay but aren't consistent. :-) I suspect some others don't want to be bothered with the time investment. I imagine there are a few who are struggling/injured and don't want to make a public fuss about that.
  • Options

@ Kevin, William

I'm one of those lurking in the background. I'm a 54 yr old noob and love reading & learning from you guys every day. I'm super envious of the veteran stats and hope to be there one day. I'm one week behind you guys so I'm always curious what's coming my way. I feel like I'm making progress (start @ 191 now @ 225). Fatigue is definitely catching up. Last 3 weeks I've had to take one day/wk to stand down. Feeling guilty but body says thank you. Yesterday was down day - but sunny and 25 told me some easy x-country ski was the ticket. I'm hoping for an outside run today - forecast = 50 & partly cloudly  - 1st outside run in over a month - we're talking Buffalo NY - sun is rare till March!

You guys provide plenty of inspiration for me and it's very much appreciated!!

BTW - I'm headed to FL for an Oly 3/20 - plan is - easy swim, hammer the bike, easy/mod run - should be a good test for what I've gained this winter.

Jeff

• Options

I toyed with the idea of taking the day off, but decided to hit the trainer and take whatever the legs would deliver.

1st 20' I hit 262w  2nd 20'  started to crash but recovered to hit 255w   (  when I broke down the 2nd 20 min. the 1st 10' of it was @ 246w and the 2nd 10' was @ 264w)  I don't know what happened to help me recover, but I was totally psyched to feel so good at the end of the interval

The final 15' @ 85%  was 226w  higher than I normally ride, so overall very happy I decided to ride.

On another positive note  weight this morning was 149.8  lowest since my IM this past September.   Starting to get serious about body comp.

Life is good !!!!

• Options
    Been off the grid for a bit . Had to deal with some work stuff and didn't get a chance to post a lot. Then wife had planned a hiking trip up to lake placid.
    Did the bike-run , went surprisingly well considering had a couple of days off.
    20' - 0.97
    20 - 1.01
    Finished with a solid 15' in 0.81

The run was avg. Did 8:30 min/miles need to pick up the speed on my brick run and bring it down to 7:30's .
  • Options
    transported the Pain Cave to our call room at work since I had to spend 24hrs there. Told 'em to get used to it!

12' Pnorm 214, IF .97 (3')
    12' Pnorm 217, IF .98 (3')
    12' Pnorm 218, IF .99 (3')
    and
    25' Pnorm 178, IF .80

didn't get the brick run in...don't judge.

BTW, you guys are killin' it!
  • Options
    I, too, find the posts very reassuring and motivating. Glad the rest of you find this stuff HARD! Even though I don't know you I find it way harder to slack off knowing that others are out there feeling just as tired as I am but still doing the work. Last Tuesday's bike was probably one of the hardest I have done. This Tuesday's was much better. I even got close to holding close to my goal of 160 watts (OK, I don't weigh very much). No time for the run though so I will try to tack that on to Thursday's shorter bike.

Keep at it all!

---Ann.
  • Options
    Wow - this week is gonna be hard. Decided on yesterday's 2x20s to keep it moderate to make sure I can do it again on Thursday. Pushed 185 for both which is IF 0.97. Didn't do any extra z3 on the bike. I'm saving it up for a longish ride this weekend. Did 20' brick and that felt very hard.
  • Options
    Posted By Chris Hardbeck on 16 Feb 2011 08:15 AM

transported the Pain Cave to our call room at work since I had to spend 24hrs there. Told 'em to get used to it!

Awesome!

• Options
    Just to keep the motivation coming. Last night 3x12's @ FT. Hit all 3 at 1.0-1.01, then 15'@ .854. Legs were just barely up to it after Sundays run. Hard, but not unbearable, did require focus and determination. Still watching hours on end of Lance dishing out a whoopun @ the TDF.. Last nights DVD had the Ulrich look!! Thats how I looked at the stopwatch as I got it done. Keep it up all, we are almost home.
  • Options
    @Jeffrey - Great to hear. I'm with you on listening to the body and taking it easy when needed. I had to take a few days in a row, but it made a huge difference. Do you keep up the frequency and just go light or do you take the day completely off? Have you figured out which works better for you? some people like the easy better than the completely off, but others point out that there is no such thing as an easy run for them. :-)
  • Options
    Good ride today
    2x20 @ 275, 269 then 6 minutes @ .8
    I am not crazy enough to get up at 0330 to get a ride done so this was Tuesday did the run yesterday at the fire station.

Entire workout (243 watts):
    Duration: 1:02:05 (1:02:52)
    Work: 906 kJ
    TSS: 90.3 (intensity factor 0.938)
    Norm Power: 255
    VI: 1.05
    Pw:HR: 4.96%
    Pa:HR: 3.48%
    Distance: 25.154 mi
    Elevation Gain: 10 ft
    Elevation Loss: 0 ft
    Grade: 0.0 % (10 ft)
    Min Max Avg
    Power: 0 414 243 watts
    Heart Rate: 132 172 159 bpm
    Cadence: 30 170 84 rpm
    Speed: 0 31.9 24.3 mph
    Pace 1:53 0:00 2:28 min/mi
    Hub Torque: 0 19 7 lb-in
    Altitude: 1297 1313 1304 ft
    Crank Torque: 0 725 245 lb-in
    Temperature: 66.2 71.6 70.2 Fahrenheit
  • Options
    Hi all,

Moved my Oct OS plan for marathon taper and recovery, and turns out it is in sync with the Nov OS schedule. I hope you don't mind that join you folks so late, but I need the group to be accountable to. Hitting the targets this week (and then some), so I hope to close out the OS strong.
  • Options

Welcome Christian,  glad to have you join team "Turkey"

• Options
    I'll be away from home next week, so this is my last bike workout for a while. Hit the numbers today. It'll be interesting to see what a week off will do.
    16' warmup
    12' @ 233W (1.00), cadence 87, HR 162
    12' @ 226W (0.97), cadence 86, HR 163
    12' @ 226W (0.97), cadence 86, HR 164
    Total 60' TSS 78.9 (0.89)
  • Options

Ladies and Gents..The Jury is in and this Work Works....Went outside today and went at it like the Devil in Georgia...Workout was 3x12 min and for an hour...Well we rode for over two hours (with a coffee break) and on the way back we had a BEAUTIFUL 14 miles of 20 plus mph head wind.....Here is the break down....Will feel this tomorrow but DAMN I am so happy I feel like dancing in the neighborhood street,.........ok so I just did.....

Interval 1:

Duration: 12:02

TSS: 22.8 (intensity factor 1.065)

Norm Power: 218

Interval 3:

Duration: 12:03

Work: 152 kJ

TSS: 22.5 (intensity factor 1.059)

Norm Power: 217

Interval 5:

Duration: 12:01 (12:02)

Work: 156 kJ

TSS: 21.8 (intensity factor 1.063)

Norm Power: 218

Interval 6:

Duration: 41:32 (42:44)

Work: 472 kJ

TSS: 65.3 (intensity factor 0.973)

Norm Power: 199

Entire workout (188 watts):

Duration: 1:42:31

Work: 1158 kJ

TSS: 161.8 (intensity factor 0.985)

Norm Power: 202

VI: 1.07

Felt like I could for an E pace 5 mile run but chose to soak in the tub.......F___O___O___D!!!

Thanks R&P and Nov OS for always pushing.....

• Options

Solid workout Carl !!    You should be pumped, keep it going !

• Options
    Took advantage of the 60+ degree weather and did my ride outside.
    Interval 1:
    Duration: 12:00 (12:01)
    Work: 146 kJ
    TSS: 21.1 (intensity factor 1.027)
    Norm Power: 217
    VI: 1.06

Interval 3:
    Duration: 12:00
    Work: 146 kJ
    TSS: 19.9 (intensity factor 0.998)
    Norm Power: 211
    VI: 1.03