Home Group Discussion-OutSeason November 2010
Options

Week 17 bike

Logged on for some mojo and no one started a thread yet?  Well guess I will for once.  3 x 15' followed by 45' ;z2 seems a little daunting but should be good fun.  Hopping onbike and treadmill now.  Good luck all.

Comments

• Options
    I don't want to even look at my bike this week, after 202 miles in the last three days. I can barely stay awake at work right now. Body is BEAT UP!

Unfortunately, the next three weekends I'll not be able to ride, so I'll have to make some time up during the week. This week I'll do an easy spin on Wed and Fri. Hopefully I recover fast - and can't wait for the fitness boost of a big bike weekend.
  • Options
    Well that was a sweet wake up call....15x3 (4) then Z3 for the remainder to = 75 min. Then hop on the tread and tear off 45 minutes to include 8-10 uphill strides and the remainder at MP....It actually felt pretty darn good. image

WU for 10 minutes very easy and::::::::

Interval 1:
    Duration: 15:01
    Work: 184 kJ
    TSS: 24.7 (intensity factor 0.993)
    Norm Power: 204

Interval 3:
    Duration: 15:01
    Work: 185 kJ
    TSS: 25.5 (intensity factor 1.009)
    Norm Power: 207

Interval 5:
    Duration: 15:02 (15:03)
    Work: 185 kJ
    TSS: 25 (intensity factor 0.999)
    Norm Power: 205

Entire workout (165 watts):
    Duration: 1:15:34 (1:15:48)
    Work: 748 kJ
    TSS: 104.3 (intensity factor 0.913)
    Norm Power: 187

Run was on the treadmill...10 uphill strides at 9.2 and 5% incline then MP....5.25 miles in 40 minutes.....
    Tear it up today team!!!!!!
  • Options
    good workout today, and had some things I tinkered with. I'm not one to shy away from strange idea or concoction.

1/2 bottle of G'ade mixed with 1/2 bottle of H2O+1teaspoon Salt 1.5 hours before this big brick. Used G'ade/CarboPro during the workout. No probs.

got the 3x15's done and level across the board. Pnorms 210,211,211. IF's all at .95.

Funny thing happened tho. I forgot that when I came home Saturday, riding up the hill to my house, I dropped the front down to my 34. So, I hopped on the bike this morning and totally missed that. Proceeded to knock out the sets and felt smooth throughout, only to notice the small gear at the end of the bike ride on trainer! I never would've attempted that had I known. things that make you go hmmmmm.

felt great on the brick run, outside, good weather. ez/steady up the hills. picking up the pace for flats. success.
  • Options

@Tucker - I found some mojo on the dashboard that got me out the door for the run during lunch. Just what I needed.

Did the morning 3 X 15' was really suffering on the last 5'. I thought - hey, this ain't nuthin' like the last 40'TT, what-up?

Came back after checking the dashboard, and got the run done. Started out in Z1 and thought I'd never get it in gear. But, the 10 X strides picked up the pace and I ended up overall in Z2 both for pace and HR.

Interesting note: last night, my local tri-club had a "Yoga for triathletes". As I moved through the various contortions, I thought, the OS has made me into an athletic T-Rex. All leg and not so much upper-body. Nice thought - thought I'd pass it on since we all are probably experiencing the same training effect! image

• Options
    Like is said on the dashboard yesterday - I enjoyed the 3x15min more than I thought I would. I must say that I didn't do the full run, just the strides. I think I am getting stoked to finally having a chance to ride outside. It might get to the 0C this weekend with little wind and lots of sun!!
  • Options

All is good in my Tri world right now.  Had a solid bike yesterday  2 X 20's @ 263 & 252  with the remaining 15' @ 231.   Felt super loose and strong running off the bike for 35'.

Swam 500's on Monday at a pace which was 20-30" faster than I swam on May 12th of last year.  All the technique work I've been doing this winter is paying off.

And I weighed in at 147.8 this morning 2 lbs down from last week and 4 lbs less than I raced in LP 2 years ago.

Life is good !!!!

• Options
    Later ride and late post.

My affect yesterday was not good going into my ride. Didn't think it would go well. Despite the day off, I felt sluggish, tired, and heavy-legged. Strangely enough, it was a totally solid ride.

20 min 256
    20 min 261
    15 min 217

80 minutes at 0.91 despite a very easy warmup, so this was a very good ride.
    Run was very workmanlike. Nothng special.
  • Options

Battling a minor cold (might be sinus issues from the pool too)....I went under 148 lbs today which offiically puts me at 4 watts per Kg (4.005).

Doing my ride tonight if I'm feeling the mojo. I feel okay just stuffed up.

• Options

This FTP has destroyed me once again.  I barely hit the first two of the 3x15s, and completely fell apart on the 3rd one.  I tried to break it up into halves and couldn't even do that so I ended up just doing all of the remaining time at .85.  

The first 4 miles of the run were OK, but I was slowly getting worse, and by the last two I was at Z4 heart rate while running Z2 pace.  

• Options

Team, slowly coming back from the brink here.  Made it through the flu but also got a bacterial sinus infection on the tail end of the flu that put me down hard..........On second day of antibiotics and did make it out for a 30 min run and .76 IF 45 min bike. 

I will re-start week 16 on Monday and continue each day getting stronger with the workouts........

Am attemping a 60 min run tomorrow with less intensity.

SS

• Options
    Started out this workout mentally not really there and had given myself the bail-out option of doing thursday's 2x15 if it just wasn't happening. Pleasantly surprised that I had no probs. Found it easier to sustain above the 190 mark than in the past. Ended up averaging about 188 watts for each 20'. No extra work @ z3 through due to time constraints.
  • Options
    I slept in this morning with the full intention of getting after it this afternoon. It looks even like the weather is going to cooperate. Yea-no dreadmill today.
  • Options
    Looks like a mixed bag of results in NOS this week. Some nailing it, other struggleing or recovering. The end is near then on to bigger things.

Last night went well, especially after my 3+ hour deadmill run Sunday. Hit the 3x15 on target and added 15 @ 85%.

213, 214, 214, 185 - ( .992, .994, .994, .86)

total bike 85' @ 193 (0.895)

On the run I started at 8:49/8:34 then the last 4 miles were at 7:47

Total Run 6 miles @ 8:02 in 48:13

Looking forward to my 10 mile tempo tonight
  • Options
    Trying to climb back on the horse after 7 full days off skiing... did Wednesday's run Monday and tried to do tuesday's bike today... 25 minutes and done. I'm going to call that a warm-up for tomorrow.
  • Options
    2x20 271, 276 then 10 at 82%. We got beat up Monday night at work (Princess Nofstger, some crews were up 5x after midnight) so yesterday I was a zombie and took a rest day.
  • Options
    Posted By Dan Gilliatt on 23 Feb 2011 08:09 PM

2x20 271, 276 then 10 at 82%. We got beat up Monday night at work (Princess Nofstger, some crews were up 5x after midnight) so yesterday I was a zombie and took a rest day.

Dan-

I hear ya it was a rough night for us also.  Only a few during the day but the night tore us apart.  Station 5 will eat you up and literally spit you out!!

• Options
    Well went after it this am and fell flat on my face but realize that is going to happen once in awhile. Just couldnt get loose. 15 x2 today and I had to break them into 5 minute intervals. The first one was hard then the 2nd one I really struggled. 3 min into the 3rd and I was barely hanging on to 180. I then thought and tried to ride at 80-85% in a lower gear but higher rpm's and that wasn't happeining either so after 33 minutes of struggling I pulled the plug.

Recovery swim tomorrow and first competition of the year this Saturday. Indoor mini tri. 7 min swim. 18 min bike ( on old gym bikes) and a 15 minute run. Should have some spunk back in the legs by then.

Get after it today team!!
  • Options
    Headed back down to the trainer a little later this morning (after bailing at 6:00). Got the 2x15 done. Not as strong as the 3x15 on Tuesday - couldn't quite get as close to that magical 100% mark as I did on Tuesday. And HR was lower today too. Fatigue no doubt. But it is done, in the books, and tomorrow is a rest day. It's all good! Keep up the good work, all!

---Ann.
  • Options

Mine was a little weak this morning but got it done.  Even after about the millionth time I am still suprised that 2x15 is not any easier than 2x20.  You would think I would know it by now...

• Options
    Looks like I had the same results as Ann and Carl. I couldn't match the Tuesday effort, not even with just 2 X 15' and no run. I just plowed through at Z4 PE even with the low HR and tried to keep the cadence and speed up to Z4 levels.

Regardless, I'm biking outside today for the first time in like 5 months since it is nice out. After I know I can bike in a straight line, I'm putting on my new aero helmet. Just like a kid with a new toy, gotta play.

I think I'll do a recovery swim like Carl tomorrow. Bob's results above are impressive!
  • Options

just finished getting the hour done, with the 2x15' at z4 and then 13' at z3. In the Call Pain Cave. I'm getting this transportable cave thing down. and the others are getting used to it, too.

I know I hit the zones. Will fill in the numbers when I get home tomorrow after I've logged it into WKO+.

But, let me be psychic and see how close I can get...

first 15'....Pnorm212 and IF.96                 

second 15'....Pnorm217 and IF.98

13' z3.....Pnorm175 and IF.83

I'll edit and update tomorrow morning when I get home

edit, after logging it...

first 15'...Pnorm 216, IF .98            second 15'....Pnorm216, IF .98          then 13' with Pnorm 182, IF .82

Nice work to all.

• Options

Yesterdays bike WO

Interval 1:

Duration: 5:00

Work: 61 kJ

TSS: 8.2 (intensity factor 0.992)

Norm Power: 203

Interval 3:

Duration: 5:01

Work: 62 kJ

TSS: 8.3 (intensity factor 0.996)

Norm Power: 204

Interval 5:

Duration: 5:00

Work: 60 kJ

TSS: 7.9 (intensity factor 0.974)

Norm Power: 200

Duration: 31:51 (31:56)

Work: 289 kJ

TSS: 38.1 (intensity factor 0.854)

Norm Power: 175

Well I held on for awhile but just didn't have it in me....Feel revised this am and headed for a nice recovery swim. Going to pull the entire workout. Indoor tri tommorow in Marshalltown. Going to have fun and leave the competitive side on the back burner.

• Options
    Filled in today's rest day with tomorrow's brick. Helping a buddy move tomorrow. Skipping the rest day definitely had its effect on my wko. Not so much on the vO2 intervals, but very evident on the 'remainder at z3 85%' stuff.

30' hi cadence w/u netting Pnorm of 170, IF .78
    4x2.5's on - Pavg 228, 234,234,232 (FTP of 220)
    then 2x10' trying to get that 85% and really struggled with this, identical numbers to the warmup, Pnorm 170 and IF .78.

Brick run was a welcomed ez z1 in some sunny but windy conditions.

y'all kill it tomorrow!
  • Options
    Life ate my workout yesterday. Work/kids/surprises started at 7 am and ended at 10 pm. Only had time for something like 15' and 12 or 13' even... Long story. Grrr. But I agree with Chris, those on a Thursday can be just as hard as the 20s earlier in the week. As I figured out what was happening to my day, I thought maybe since it was "only" 15, I'd push a little extra. Nope. :-) pretty much right on target and that's all.
  • Options
    Rested Thursday and did my 2x15 @ 250, 251W today. Successfully overachieved by 7W or so. After 16 weeks, I think I am FINALLY getting used to the long intervals. I felt like quitting 8 times, but just slapped myself, shook my head and carried on.
  • Options
    schedule adjustment
    bike 4x@ 1.22, 1.22, 1.23, 1.21 + 1x25' @.83 + 25' Z3 run

got in a good groove for the VO2 and felt strong on the run

• Options
    Did the 2x15 today. I blew a tire about 5 minutes into the second set . Looks like they were 271, 270. No issues 93 tss total. Another one in the books
  • Options

Slowly coming back and recovering here.  Did Week 15 thurs bike yesterday and Week 15 brick this morning.  Too fatigued to hit the marks this morning but coming back a little stronger each day. 

Great work all!

SS

• Options
    Posted By Shaughn Simmons on 26 Feb 2011 11:28 AM

Slowly coming back and recovering here.  Did Week 15 thurs bike yesterday and Week 15 brick this morning.  Too fatigued to hit the marks this morning but coming back a little stronger each day. 

Great work all!

SS

Simmons-

Making the come back my friend....welcome back

• Options
    Posted By Dan Gilliatt on 25 Feb 2011 10:55 PM

Did the 2x15 today. I blew a tire about 5 minutes into the second set . Looks like they were 271, 270. No issues 93 tss total. Another one in the books

Lay off the juice bro!!!!!!!!!!  On a serious note nice work!!!!  Can't wait to see you tear up the courses this year.