Home Group Discussion-OutSeason November 2010
Options

Week 18 run

Run completed felt good....has some tired quads though from yesterday's 2x20's.  Completed here at the Fire house without being interrupted!!

We are wall washing today and let me tell you it just doesn't get much better than this")

Comments

• Options

Did mine yesterday and it felt suprisingly easy even after my attempt at the 2x20's was a total disaster.  Did the intervals at 10.0 mph with a 2% incline.  Never thought that I would need a treadmill that goes faster than a 6 minute pace.  Kind of a cool problem to have 

• Options
    Nice work you studs!
  • Options

Lunch hour boogie:

Miles  
      Hours Time Distance Pace
    WU   0:10:00 1.230 0:08:08
    Z4   0:03:22 0.500 0:06:43
        0:02:59 0.350 0:08:30
    Z4   0:03:20 0.500 0:06:39
        0:02:59 0.350 0:08:30
    Z4   0:06:40 1.000 0:06:40
        0:04:58 0.585 0:08:30
    Z4   0:06:40 1.000 0:06:40
        0:04:58 0.585 0:08:30
    Z3   0:11:01 1.57 0:07:01
    TOTALS 0.000 0:56:56 7.670 0:07:25

Lots of looks at stares while on the treadmill and sweat was flying......

• Options

Took my run to the track next to my daughters school as I had to pick her up. Quite windy today. Felt really good. Not sure if it was because I was wearing the Newtons or because I was outside. Knocked out my 2 x 1mi @ 6:45 & 6:50. Even ran a bit on the football turf in just my socks to see how it felt. Was pretty cool. May try to do that a little more.

• Options

I had my second injury scare of the OS the week before last. I strained my knee somehow and it really bothered me on my runs. No real pain but something was off. Anyway, I backed off and it got better. Today was the first speed work since then and I had a great workout.

Today was also the first day in a few weeks that the track was clear of snow and ice! I had a 4x800(3') and 1 mile at TP. I hit the 800s at 5:48, 6:00, 5:55 and 5:40 pace. I hit the mile in 6:07. Ran 1.5 miles back to the house at around 7:00 minute pace. 7 miles total.

• Options
    Starting to feel like getting back up to speed after the vacation/sickness... Got the 2X1 done this morning at Z4 (7:36) but jsut did Z1 for the rest. 45 mini total... easing back into it.
  • Options
    4 x 800 and 1x1 done at and above the paces. I used to complain about the "skinny runner guys" who always caught me on the run. This old swimmer/biker had given up hope of ever being one of them. My wife told me the other day I was becoming one of those skinny runner guys. Nice--WorkWorks
  • Options
    Trying hard to settle back into what was working early on. Went back to the track for the first time in a while. The whole high school track team was there, but they still let me run. The goal was to run target pace tonight, 6:38. My sense of pacing is gone with all the treadmill time. I was all over the place.
    800@2:52
    800@3:01
    800@3:07
    800@3:12
    1600@6:33
  • Options

Holy Cow! It's really week 18! I actually posted this in week 17 by mistake! image

Great run wko this morning! 45 degrees, no wind - perfect conditions!

2 X 1mi (2') @ 6:54, 6:38 (target 7:00)

Total run with warm-up and cool down was 5.2. Although a bit slower than last weekend, it follows yesterday's hard afternoon bike. At my third try, I finally had a great outdoor biking session. I hammered the assigned workout and then some and am at least as strong as I was at anytime last season. Work Works! image

• Options
    Got it done as well.
    4x800 2:55, 2:51, 2:53, 2:52
    1 mile at 5:39

No complaints other than I got interrupted by some ambulance calls in between

Not many of these workouts to go
  • Options
    I was feeling pretty crappy by the time I got to run today. I had work crap that HAD to be done first thing in the morning, and then it turned out that someone left me a mess to clean up that took all day...and made me very unhappy. Then, by the time I got to the gym, I was in a bad mood AND tired. I had gotten away with a couple of very good workouts while in and recovering from this cold, and I think my day-to-day recovery from them was slow, because I felt unusually spent before i started. Just bleah and heavy-legged. So no glory day for me...even as much as I had seen Sulli's earlier and wanted to crush it like that...

I made so much progress running the VO2 stuff that when I saw the 4 x 1/2 I knew I wanted to do those fast at least. Turned out that for today, that was all the gas I had for VO2. Toned it back down to threshold for the mile.

Funny how my workout looks so much like Rob's.

4 x 0.56 mi at 6:01, 5:57, 6:02, 6:05 paces
    1 x 1 mi at 6:27

I was definitely tightening up for that last one anyway.
  • Options

Skipped out early on work today to get Sunday's run done today before Master's Swim. This weekend I'm doing a 4-mile race, so chose to do the longer run today to get ready for my HIM in May. Track occupied, so I went to a paved loop around some ballfields that was about .5 miles. Did 2 laps Z4, then 1 easy x 3. Ran by feel since I didn't know the distance. GPS said slightly sub-7 min miles, so I'm very pleased assuming that's in the ball park of being right. Just got an invite to "Mojito night" friday night, so it'll be a challenge to find a balance between fun and not being hung-over for the Sat. morning race. Really hoping to see a good bump in vdot, especially since it's a flat course.

Doing master's swim after the 90 min run was brutal, and I was so slow.

Oh - and I ran in shorts and tanktop today!  Weather's starting to get niiiice here in VA!  Only 1.5 weeks til more light in the evenings for biking/running outside!!!!!

• Options
    Got mine done at 5:30 a.m. It was super COLD (-1 F) and for some reason I didn't realize it was going to be that bad. Didn't have a face mask on, so it was a chilly affair. I did 2x800, 1x1 mile, 2x800 all at 6:45-6:51, so pretty much dead on target. Total was just over 6 miles. Felt pretty good but legs still a bit tired from the long Sunday run and the 2x20's (OK, 1x20, 2x10). Feeling the end coming on...GO TEAM!
  • Options
    ran last evening. no treadmill around, no track, just a long steep hill and a stopwatch.

after a 10' warmup, hit the hill for 3' climbs at z4 effort, x5. then cooldown with form on some flat road. got home without hurting anything.

tried to figure out how 1mile run at TP/z4 on the track would correlate to running up a steep hill at z4 effort. Wanted to do 4' intervals, but reached the top at 3' and was spent each time.
    this was definitely a #workworks workout, but not the scheduled one. maybe I wasted my time. but it hurt and I completed it without getting hurt.
  • Options

I did yesterday's run today.  Looks like everyone is hitting their paces.  I find myself dialing up the pace by 0.1 mph increments a couple of times in the second half of the interval if I feel good.  Anyone else letting the pace creep up a little bit?

• Options

After having some significant hip pain after my last treadmill workout, I vowed not to run on the treadmill again regardless of what the weather is outside.

Fortunately yesterday was pretty nice and had a good run on a hilly route along the river.  4 X 800   were @ 6:10,  6:11, 6:04 and 6:01  The 1 mile repeat was @ 6:20 pace.   9.25 miles total in 1:06:00 with a total pace of 7:11

Happy with the paces, especially on some tired legs after the 2 X 20's the day before and doing Sundays run on Monday.   Anxious to see what the legs have left for todays 2 X 12's.   Hate to look ahead, but looking forward to a non biking/running day on Friday !!

• Options

I did my Sunday run today, and got in 12.25 miles in 1:27:33.  It was a touch slower than last week, but I'll take it considering the rain and wind I was out in.  I had 9 pounds of wet clothes on when I got home!

• Options
    We went outiside in the 27 degree weather for the 90 min run and it really zapped me. Wow!!! Use to running on the treadmill. I can say without a doubt that today HURT.

Went 1:30 with 2x1 mile repeats at 6:45 and 6:50 then 2x800's @ 6:44 pace and 6:57 pace. We then really played around and struggled the rest of the way. We were not close to HMP or MP more like and Ave of 8:15 moving pace according tothe garmin. For out recoveries it was a very easy stop, dry heave, shuffle, then easy run. Sure that slowed the overall pace down but oh well longest run of the season so far.

Enjoy your Sunday image
  • Options

crap, very sorry to all you guys. I really did suck today.

could barely motivate myself out the door. cold/wet/VERYwindy. struggled to push anything past z2. got to my loop  (1.2 mile oval) and there was a huge headwind on three legs of that oval. how is that?! as soon as I had that first blast of wind hit me, I folded my hand. just picked up the feet and shuffled for a miserable hour. WTH happened?

so, going stupid. Doing Tuesday brick tomorrow, gonna put today's run on after the scheduled bike. then take Tuesday off before getting back on track for Wednesday.

this is me...pissed.

• Options
    Guys - thought twice about posting this, but thought it might be worth reading.

Faced with another run 2 X 1mi main set, I opted to do a local sprint tri that was 100m swim, 10mi bike, and a 2 mi run instead. From my peak last year over the same course, my swim was just 5'' off, my biking was dead on, and my run was 45''/mile faster.

So, this stuff works. Even the bad days Chris has above, or the cold that Bill runs in, or even the snow and ice Steve and Matt has to work through - the overall effort week in and out makes a difference.

• Options
    @ Chris H. - good days and bad days... good weeks and bad weeks... just like life, gotta take the bad with the good. I have definitely had some dark patches in this OS, but have stayed the course as best I could. Took time off, shortened workouts, lowered the instensity, the whole bit... throwing in little towels so as to not throw in the BIG towel. However, for every patch where I start feeling like "I did a ton of work and I feel like crap... I wonder if I really am getting anywhere" there is another patch where things are good. Today was a good day. Ran the whole 90 minutes and did 11 miles on the nose for an 8:11 pace (with mile 11 at a very close to Zone4 7:43), which is just 3 seconds slower than if I had ran Z3 the whole way. Same route I did around this time last year when I averaged a 10:20(!) pace for 90 minutes (and I remember it as being all I could do to even do that)

Keep the faith, the next patch of goodness is just around the corner.
  • Options

Very tough run for me today. Great weather and pretty motivated, but the shins are starting to act up again. Planned on an out and back, but ended up creating a 45 minute loop, stopping back at the house to dust off the calf wraps. The rest of the run was pretty much a disaster at MP, but once wrapped, the legs started to feel better. Ended up with a rTSS of 142 and IF .8.

• Options

Thanks guys.  And @Joe, way to go at the tri. @Art - I'm doing that local course thing on Monday and will see if I can shave some time off of the usual, like you mentioned

its a hilly 2hr out/back bike tomorrow, and gonna go hard, using EN tactics on/over the climbs.   and will follow that up with something close to a run similar to today's schedule.

gotta pay da piper.

• Options

connect.garmin.com/activity/71715955

Got'er done this evening............(week 16 run for me .....)

Great stats today all!

• Options
    I felt that this week was a breakthrough for me. I hit all the targets and had energy and spunk to spare. I capped the week off with a 10 mile run on a course I have done a lot (2 mile hilly loop here in the mtns--9000 ft elevation.) I was pleasnlty surprised to look down at my watch and see my easy laps being about my best times ever. I didn't relly check out my fast laps since I was focused on doing the 3x1 mile repeat sets.

Looking forward to tommrow's day of rest, but excited for a breakthrough week.

• Options
    Good run today. I was probably breaking a rule by tacking on yesterday's missed 20 min to the end of this one, but that's what I did.

Went out to a local park with a ~3 mile loop and brought my first bottle of Infinit with me. I had kind of dragged the last few miles of a ~14 mi run last weekend, so I thought I'd give some nutrition a try. Aside from the fact that the weather went from 33 and still air to wet windy snow that froze the fingers and tightened the hammies, everything went peachy. :-) One "serving" of the ~330 calories over the ~2 hours, and I felt like the fatigue was genuinely muscular, not just me bogging down. So that was good.

3 x 1 mi all around 6:30. Most of the rest of it around MP. 15.3 mi in 1:54
  • Options
    Nice William, I won't call the volume police on you. When it comes to volume in general, I think the golden rule is "know thyself" and don't get carried away. You're certainly well within your own tolerances.

As for myself, I ran outside today with a few friends, had a great start on the 3x1's all in the low 6s. After that we cruised for a while and came in at about the expected 1:30. I didn't run the remainder as fast as I would have solo, but likewise I would not have pushed the 3x1's as fast as we did if it were just me so I'll take the compromise. All and all feeling pretty good despite my complete lack of bricks this out season (no t-mill at home and I refuse to drive to the gym for a brick). Wasn't quite as smooth as last week where I was able to cruise at the 7:00-7:05 range for almost 11 miles after the intervals, but happy all the same.
  • Options
    @Trevor I gotta think that at this time of year, the more important thing is to get the threshold part in anyway than the longer part a little faster. It might be different when you're close to a race and getting race specific, when the race pace would be closer to the HMP anyway.