Home Group Discussion-OutSeason November 2010
Options

Week 19 Bike/Brick

Ha!  This was my post last night....

[crap, very sorry to all you guys. I really did suck today. 

could barely motivate myself out the door. cold/wet/VERYwindy. struggled to push anything past z2. got to my loop  (1.2 mile oval) and there was a huge headwind on three legs of that oval. how is that?! as soon as I had that first blast of wind hit me, I folded my hand. just picked up the feet and shuffled for a miserable hour. WTH happened? 

so, going stupid. Doing Tuesday brick tomorrow, gonna put today's run on after the scheduled bike. then take Tuesday off before getting back on track for Wednesday. 

this is me...pissed. ]

Today's Brick.... no power available, so went outside for an Always Be Pushing Ride on a familiar hilly 38miler.  Me & friends usually work this ride pretty good and get back to the house in 1:55ish to 2:00.  Our previous best was 1:51.  Rode it solo today, no aero, on the roadie.  ABP, focus.  Negative split, and bested that PR by 14 minutes,  FOURTEEN! in 38 miles! WTF?!  and really did save some for the run, forget the shorter brick, I had to redeem myself from yesterday's debacle.  9+ miles in 75 minutes with 4x1/2mile repeats at TP.

Redeemed.

wish I had watts to log, but I'm not gonna spend any time waiting around for it.  Actually, calling Quarq back right now.

have a good one

Comments

• Options
    Posted By Chris Hardbeck on 07 Mar 2011 12:59 PM

Ha!  This was my post last night....

[crap, very sorry to all you guys. I really did suck today. 

could barely motivate myself out the door. cold/wet/VERYwindy. struggled to push anything past z2. got to my loop  (1.2 mile oval) and there was a huge headwind on three legs of that oval. how is that?! as soon as I had that first blast of wind hit me, I folded my hand. just picked up the feet and shuffled for a miserable hour. WTH happened? 

so, going stupid. Doing Tuesday brick tomorrow, gonna put today's run on after the scheduled bike. then take Tuesday off before getting back on track for Wednesday. 

this is me...pissed. ]

Today's Brick.... no power available, so went outside for an Always Be Pushing Ride on a familiar hilly 38miler.  Me & friends usually work this ride pretty good and get back to the house in 1:55ish to 2:00.  Our previous best was 1:51.  Rode it solo today, no aero, on the roadie.  ABP, focus.  Negative split, and bested that PR by 14 minutes,  FOURTEEN! in 38 miles! WTF?!  and really did save some for the run, forget the shorter brick, I had to redeem myself from yesterday's debacle.  9+ miles in 75 minutes with 4x1/2mile repeats at TP.

Redeemed.

wish I had watts to log, but I'm not gonna spend any time waiting around for it.  Actually, calling Quarq back right now.

have a good one

Chris-

VERY NICE JOB BRO>>>WAY TO GET THE WEEK STARTED FOR US!!!  Week 19 BRO!!!!!

• Options
    Chris, just so you know, that wind you experienced last night (in 3 directions it is a headwind), we call that "omni wind" here in Southwestern Ontario. It is the dominant wind direction I swear. Ha!

Glad you had a good day today. 14 minute PB over 38 miles?? Wow! Nice WORK!

---Ann.
  • Options

WEEK NINETEEN!!!!!!

COME ON, FEEL THE NOISE!!!!!! (ROAR!)

@ Ann - Omni Winds, huh?  remind me of that if I ever consider signing up for a race up there image

• Options

Great ride Chris!

I had a tough time on the 2x20 today.  I did 1x20 then 1x13, was planning another 1x7 but I could not do it.  The run went well, 25:00 at 6:48.  

• Options
    Duration: 1:15:21 (1:15:27)
    Work: 783 kJ
    TSS: 101.9 (intensity factor 0.904)
    Norm Power: 185

Running later at the station
  • Options
    I got up early and got it done before work. (yea!) Woke up before 7 without the alarm, 8 hours of sleep even! However, had some trouble hitting the power targets. Might be residual fatigue, or just that I don't hit intervals as well in the morning. 2x20' @ .98, .93 VI
    I'm thinking about dropping the intensity on Thursday's ride to give myself some extra rest going into this weekend's 40K TT. Hmmm...

Will do a run after work.
  • Options
    Dang, missed the target on the second 20. Legs must be getting tired. Scaled back the run to 8' EP because my calves are still toasted from a 5K race on Sunday. I think that was the hardest I'd ever run, but it didn't buy me any VDOT improvement because the road conditions were so terrible: rain, huge puddles, ice, slush. Still, 7th out of 134 runners, and the only 6 who beat me were all younger. I'll try another 5K in a few weeks; I so want to go sub-19.
    18' warmup
    20' @ 224W (0.97), cadence 86, HR 167
    20' @ 217W (0.94), cadence 84, HR 166
    9' @ 190W (0.82), cadence 89, HR 156
    Total bike 75', TSS 90.8 (0.85)
    Run 8' @ 7.3MPH Z1
  • Options

I had a fight with the Life Fitness bike at the Holiday Inn here in Boston. I did 70 minutes with my 2X20' at Level 10, 85 cadence, felt tough. I will do the Z2, 45' min run tonight. Piles of snow everywhere here and about 25 degrees......different for us Austin boys..........RUN  connect.garmin.com/activity/72050708

• Options
    Posted By Kevin Mepham on 08 Mar 2011 09:48 AM

Dang, missed the target on the second 20. Legs must be getting tired. Scaled back the run to 8' EP because my calves are still toasted from a 5K race on Sunday. I think that was the hardest I'd ever run, but it didn't buy me any VDOT improvement because the road conditions were so terrible: rain, huge puddles, ice, slush. Still, 7th out of 134 runners, and the only 6 who beat me were all younger. I'll try another 5K in a few weeks; I so want to go sub-19.

18' warmup

20' @ 224W (0.97), cadence 86, HR 167

20' @ 217W (0.94), cadence 84, HR 166

9' @ 190W (0.82), cadence 89, HR 156

Total bike 75', TSS 90.8 (0.85)

Run 8' @ 7.3MPH Z1

Kevin - atta boy! That is an awesome race result!

• Options
    Although the weather was perfect for an outdoor ride - I stuck to the protocol and knocked it all out this morning to give me the greatest recovery time for tomorrow. Only two more weeks - I can do this!

2 X 20' (4')@ Z4.
    Total bike 75' and felt good

Run - Z2 out and Z3 back. The Z3 was more like a fartlek, but still came in at target pace and HR. Time to do a little Fat Tuesday celebration before Lent. I give up alcohol, so this should be a good time to cut a few pounds!
  • Options
    2 x 20' (4') @ FTP ... owie

• Options

I feel like I cheated today, but it felt good. I went outside for the ride after work today. Tried to stay committed to the wko. Evening out power numbers outdoors is going to take some practice. When I down loaded the numbers the end result looked very much like a trainer ride. Imagine that. You train your body to do something for 18 weeks and it gets use to it. Anyways, being outside on the bike felt AWESOME. Looking forward to spring and daylight savings.

20 @ 279W, 1.035

20 @ 267W, .989

28 @ .891

• Options
    I think I'm ready for that mental break at the end of OS already. I'm finding myself physically quite capable of the workouts but a little thin on mojo from time to time. Will be traveling for a few days next week, so maybe that will help. gotta rearrange things to get next Tuesday's bike on Sunday...

20 at 265 (1.04)
    20 at 266 (30" breaks at each 5' mark) (1.04)

Half hour run at HMP (6:44 average)
  • Options
    Knocked mine down at 0'dark 30. Took a page from the Hayes, "just mix it up" book, and did 1x25', 1x10', 1x5' @ ~99%. Threw in ~20' of 85% throughout and felt pretty good. Followed up with ~25' brick including 1m@7:10, 1m@7:05, and .86m@6:48. Z2 is 7:15 and Z3 is 6:59, so I'm calling it a success! Feeling good for tomorrow, but better get to bed so I can get up. Perfect streak (no workouts missed) going into it's 4th week...consistency seems to be paying off...feeling much stronger. GO TEAM!
  • Options
    Still feeling the effects of the 90 minute run on Sunday. Did 1:15 on the bike, but no run. Got a 1X20 done and then a 1X6 and then low-end of Z3 for the rest.
  • Options
    Lovely 2 x 20' @ .98 & .975.
    Another 15' @ .84

Really hoping for some warmer weather sometime soon.
  • Options
    Good morninging all.....Hit the bike early d/t class today.

10 min very easy warmup...little ITB flair up.....Rolling it to death though
    15 x 3
    1. .97 IF, 145 HR, 82 RPM
    2. .99 IF, 150 HR, 81 RPM
    3. .98 IF, 150HR, 79 RPM

Then rode for about 15 min to cool down and see if the ITB would release....

Duration: 1:17:28
    Work: 767 kJ
    TSS: 102.6 (intensity factor 0.894)
  • Options
    I've had a good week so far on the bike. Today for the 15x3 I was at .945, .991 & 1.003. I struggled a bit last week so it's been good to nail my workouts this week. I'm ready for a break soon!
  • Options

@ Calr and Tucker - nice work!!

Week 17 Thurs bike:

Had a 60 minute fight with the Life Fitness (Holiday Inn Hotel) bike one more time this morning. I completed my 2 X 15' Z4 (RPE) and also did 15' Z3 finishing up with Bon Jovi's "Runaway" and Jefferson Starship's "Jane" while smoke was flowing from the units main compartment . After dismounting, the Life Fitness cycle thanked me and asked I never come back again. 

Happy Trails to you all today!

• Options
    I'm curious - for those of you training with power but also using a HR monitor, what average HR's are you seeing for your intervals?

Fatigue is setting in, not hitting the numbers - I'm starting to worry that next week's FTP test might actually show a drop image
    7' warmup
    14' @ 216W (0.93), cadence 85, HR 158 (ended a minute short by mistake)
    15' @ 222W (0.96), cadence 86, HR 166
    15' @ 217W (0.94), cadence 86, HR 166
    Total 60', TSS 76.8 (0.88), HR 151
  • Options
    @ Kevin - Keep this in mind, as I've seen P tell a few folks this advice....RnP's goal is to have you primed for RACE day. I think the fatigue is real, don't beat yourself up over it, it's happening to all of us. I'm not having the HR probs that you're speaking of, but that doesn't mean that I'm not worn out by the OS, too! The workouts this weekend are intense, but shorter, so hopefully you can get a little rest over the weekend and see how you feel Monday/Tues before your concern turns to freakout. And if not, well, it is the LAST week of OS, and I bet you can clench your teeth/fists to get thru that week if you have to image

Today's wko was Saturday's VO2 stuff. Quarq is in SD getting fixed, getting it back tomorrow. I'm confident that I have a better sense of a subjective and shorter z5, as opposed a longer z4. So, I put my tri bike on the trainer and made the 2.5's tongue waggin' hard, then 2.5's ez. workworks. then when the Quarq gets back, I'll try to frame the 3x15's z4 on the road with my planned 3hr ride on Saturday.

10' hi cad warmup
    5x2.5 very hard (and in aero position for the first time since October, no issues), with 2.5' ez in between
    3x10' z3 (?) steady pressure and tempo (again, in aero postion)

75' total

and got that first shave outta the way. just improved my W/kg just by losing all that caveman.
  • Options

@Shaughn - awesome. I can just see you hammering that Life Cycle on the extra comfy padded seat bringing smoke!

Ran out of steam this morning. Did warmup okay, but then just wilted and did only 2 X 15' @Z3 PE and HR. I did some good spinning drills and called it quits at 60min.

Time to relax and do some epsom salt soaks and self-massage with "da stick". I might even swim tomorrow for recovery. My 41k TT got re-scheduled to this Saturday and when I signed up for this I envisoned breaking 60'. Right now, I'm just looking forward to a good night's sleep and gettting my mojo back...image

• Options

@ Joe, thanks but I hated the seat - felt like the circulation was being cut off a few times due to the width and pressure point. Also, the shorter crank arms felt something like riding a tricycle!  Further motivated me to beat that thing into the ground!

@ Kevin, I think Chris' comments are right on.  You should feel fatigued at this point in the OS from the cumulative load of all the work - with a purpose.  Once that load is lifted, you are going to feel like a caged TIGER and be unrelentless on the competition this spring.  Just keep plugging like you have so consistently throughout the OS.  Great work this OS Kevin!!

• Options
    I did the Saturday intervals today since I'm doing a 40K TT race this weekend, which I figure is a Threshold workout. Don't have my numbers in front of me, but they were all a little bit short of hitting the mark. 120% for me is 230, and I was around 224-5 for most. #4 was only 220. I must be falling prey to the OS fatigue. However, I'm sure I stimulated a few mitochondria! Looking forward to the transition week coming up! I plan on resting hard!
  • Options
    @ Kevin & Joe, I'll see your "not hitting the numbers" and raise you a "couldn't even do 60 minutes today". It has been struggle every since the last test for me. I couple of bright spots here and there (mostly the run), but I haven't hit a bike work-out as written since I got my new FTP in Week 14. I'm not beating myself up too much about it as the bottom-end of my new Zone 3 is above my intial FTP test, so I do feel good about general progress. Some of it is fatigue and some of it is psychological... finding it hard to motivate to do 100% (not to mention 120%) efforts these days. Have started swimming and have been taking some spacers out on my stem (and flipped my stem today) so sure that has a decent amount to do with it as well... Ok, now I am just complaining, or mabe more charitably, commiserating...

Looking forward to getting across the OS fnish line and doing a little transition action... then gearing up for the IMCDA!
  • Options
    @Art, I also took spacers out of the stem last summer, and then my Retul bike fitter made me put them back on. So that could certainly have something to do with it. Are you making those adjustments based on a professional fit?
  • Options

@Kevin: I'm not... About 3 months ago I decided that I would try and educate myself on fitting. I know there is no substitute for an experienced eye, but the various parameters can be figured out (although there is a bit of learning curve in being able to parse the high signal-to-noise ratio regarding various measurements and ranges) ... and it strikes me as a pretty big trial and error exercise even if you are working with a professional fitter... having said that, going into this exercise I told myself I would call in the pros if I thought I had twisted myself into a pretzel.

• Options
    Just could not drag myself out of bed this morning, so workout was postponed until after work. And I was dragging going into it. But ended up having a great workout. Did the first 15' on the easy side, a little harder on the second, and harder still for the last, trying to gauge where I might be at for next week's final test. Felt great overall. Current 100% FTP = 243w. Today's ride:
    First 15' = 240w
    Second 15' = 247w
    Third 15' = 256w
  • Options
    Posted By Kevin Mepham on 10 Mar 2011 08:48 AM

I'm curious - for those of you training with power but also using a HR monitor, what average HR's are you seeing for your intervals?

Fatigue is setting in, not hitting the numbers - I'm starting to worry that next week's FTP test might actually show a drop

7' warmup

14' @ 216W (0.93), cadence 85, HR 158 (ended a minute short by mistake)

15' @ 222W (0.96), cadence 86, HR 166

15' @ 217W (0.94), cadence 86, HR 166

Total 60', TSS 76.8 (0.88), HR 151

Today was a perfect example of how arbitrary HR can be.  I did the Saturday workout at the same wattage I always use for the 2.5/2.5 intervals and my HR was 10 beats higher for each one than it normally is.  If I had been using HR only, there's no telling how much lower my wattage would have been.  

I am fatigued as well and have also considered the possibility that next week's test may yield a lower number than the last test.  No matter, as I'm sure after the transition period we'll all be lighting up the road!

Despite how fatigued I've felt on the bike for the last 6 weeks, I have nailed every single run interval almost to the second.  I would have never guessed this after struggling so much to maintain my wattage.  

• Options

Nice work all.  

I suck!!! Only did one "technique" bike workout this week.  My legs were still sore from Sunday half marathon, then I got a cold.  Will try again tonight and on the weekend