Home General Training Discussions
Options

Wiki Post: OutSeason Training Plan Phases

Wiki Workers, please turn this into a post for me, thanks!

OutSeason Training Plan Phases

Your OutSeason Training Plan is divided into three distinct phases, each with a specific purpose:

• Phase I, Weeks 1-8: FTP/LTHR Intervals
  • Phase II, Weeks 9-12: Vo2 focus
  • Phase III, Weeks 13-16: FTP/LTHR Intervals

Phase I: FTP/LTHR Intervals

• Purpose: lift pace/speed/power at lactate/fuctional threshold. This is the "raising the ceiling" we talk about in Haus.
  • Method:
    • Test FTP/LTHR on the bike, VDot on the run to define intensities, then
    • Z4/FTP/T-pace intervals
    • At some point the rate of FTP/speed or pace @ LTHR increase may slow down or stop. This is signal to change the training stimulus (Phase II)

Phase II: Vo2 Intervals

• Purpose: "raise the roof, expanding the attic so, in Phase III, we can continue to raise the celing (get faster)
  • Method:
    • Retest
    • Z5/30-30's/I-pace intervals

Phase III: FTP/LTHR Intervals

• Purpose: having raised the roof and created more attic space, we can now go back to raising the height of your ceiling.
  • Method:
    • Restest
    • Z4/FTP/T-pace intervals. However, these are the longest of the training plan (12-20' intervals).

How does the Power Clinic fit into this?

The above is very generic, kinda pre-programmed, doesn't really account very well for individual differences. Specifically, over the last couple seasons we've learned that some people's attics are cramped, others are not, indicating more or less need for "raise the roof" training. The Power Clinic then:

• Is a very focused period of roof-raising work. While the 30/30's, included in the "stock" OS plan, are good, the protocol for the Power Clinic is better...it's also much harder, which is why we don't include it in the stock OS plan. Loaded gun, child, that sorta thing .
  • However, not everyone needs this type of work, or may/may not be ready for it at the end of that 8 week block. So the Power Clinic includes a specific test that, basically, defines for us the space of your attic and whether or not you are candidate for this roof-raising stuff.

Will there be a running verion of the Power Clinic?

At some point, yes, but we just haven't had time or the the opportunity to round up guinnea pigs to proof out a protocol.

Comments